ImageImageImageImageImage

Gortat: Sacrificed a lot, will talk to agent to see if its right fit

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: Gortat: Sacrificed a lot, will talk to agent to see if its right fit 

Post#101 » by dangermouse » Thu May 18, 2017 5:47 am

That guy on Twitter made a great point, actually.

Sorry Marcin, but he's right. You're complaining about touches at one point but you definitely got a LOT of bunnies at the rim off John Wall PnR's, and I remember complaining and reading complaints almost every game about you missing them. Easy ones and just putting up some weak sh*t that rolls off the rim.

You didnt do that in years past, its obviously an age thing and trying to protect your body.

Maybe with a healthy Ian and another training camp for him to work with Scotty, Gortat might be better served coming off the bench and destroying the other teams second unit. He'd probably get more scoring opportunity and he'd be able to play longer without his body burning out on him. Can that idea be sold to him though? He must be aware that its going to happen eventually.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
europeanfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#102 » by europeanfan » Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 am

Look the Cavs who were atrocious defensively during the season held Boston to less than 110 points on their court. Something the Wizards couldn't do. Did you see Horford and Olynyk go nuts?

Just need not to be terrible defensively. Not great. Not good. Just not **** terrible. And replacing Gortat as the starting center is gonna be a big part of that.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#103 » by WizarDynasty » Thu May 18, 2017 1:11 pm

80sballboy wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
I guess Larry Bird couldn't play for the Wiz then... :noway:

Larry Bird played in a different era. You could hand check in his era, now it is a foul. Slows guy could shove you, knock you off balance while dribbling no foul would be called. you can't use your hands to slow guys down now.

Larry Bird was like a 6'9 version of Bradley Beal athletically--better passer. He also had parrish and mchale--on his team---top 30 players of al time. Bird actually did show bursts when he posted players up. He would actually burst into fadeaway shots. He hustled on the boards and had the kaioken 100X against HIT during crunchtime like Wall. Bird had amazing footwork, outstanding foot coordination, explosive footwork. As he got older, he slowed down, but in his prime, bird was very athletic.

Wizard won't go anywhere until Morris is averaging 20 points per game shooting 50 percent from the field. Morris has to develop a larry bird game going up against a top ten defense. Problem is, he doesn't have a great defender to go at in

Bird was never very athletic. Not in his prime or after his back injury. He had very quick hands and a pretty quick first step but he was more about ball fakes and trickery. You had to defend him at the 3-point line. But he was great because he was a 6-9 small forward (when most were 6-5 to 6-7) who shot the ball from behind his head and would shoot it in your grill. He had an incredible amount of confidence in himself and his teammates. The comparisons athletically to Beal are just not there. Brad is a pretty good athlete but he'll never have the swag that Bird had. That's what separates the good from the great. Bird didn't need to be a great athlete back then or even now, hand check or no hand check. If he played now, he would have hit the weights more and done yoga or whatever to increase his longevity.

And Morris isn't capable of averaging 20ppg or shooting 50% from the field on a good or mediocre team. He's just not that good and doesn't bring it on a consistent basis. If you get 15 and 7 from him, great, like the one year in Phoenix.

It's a mistake to believe that the player you see now will be the same player you see three years from now. Morris has a skill set that is very expandable. His three point shooting and post moves, plus ability to block shots is a very rare combinations. If a player like him commits everyday to imitating Bird's Foot coordination, he very well could become a superstar.
I looks to me that he may have bad knees which is why he doesn't catch the ball and drop his center of gravity very low like Bird does. I guess having bad knees really does limit your upside. But maybe a new science can fix his bad knees. Technology can be great especially when you have millions of dollars to invest in your own body.
the problem with morris is oubre is they don't know how to land and preserve their knees. watch how bird lands after layups, and jumpshots. The little movements after landing are what keep your body going strong years down the line.

If morris or oubre could bend their back and drop low on their dribble, they would me much more effective players, but they both have very bad knee configurations and poor balance while dribbling. Just shows why Larry Bird was so great. Same with Gortat. I think it shows that leader, Ernie Grunfeld doesn't force his management team to develop these attributes in assets. Forcing your assets to develop a low center of gravity instantly gives your team a significant advantage in terms of winning the championship that TED badly needs.

Number one rule that management has not imposed on its players. Developing a low center of gravity to accelerate on an offensive move. the same theme i see with all of our players outside of wall and beal. None get low when dribbling. MOrris, Gortat, and Porter. 3 starters, none of them can drop their center of gravity because Grunfeld doesn't value this ability. If he did, he would direct management===coaches, trainers, to require a certain standard for our players of low center gravity while dribbling before they are allow to get signficant playing time. If you can't drop your center of gravity like Bird on a post up, and spin and accelerate with either hand, you can't start for the wizards. Simple goal that Grunfeld could ensure happens. This team would see tremendous improvements and break into a plane that would be hard for other teams to mimic. We have very unique players and since Grunfeld admired Bird--you see elements of Bird throughout this team. You see Bird's passion in wall, you see Bird's shooting in Beal, you seem Bird not quit mentality in Porter, you seem foot balance in Gortat. You see some of grit of Bird in Morris.

BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THIS TEAM I

Lack of ACCELERATION while DrIBBLING ball from Gortat, Porter, and MOrris. None of them drop their center of gravity while dribbling and therefore can't accelerate. Number one rule, you can't accelerate without dropping your center of gravity. Grunfeld is directly responsible for this because he didn't bring in professionals to force this into wizards culture.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#104 » by nate33 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:27 pm

dangermouse wrote:Sorry Marcin, but he's right. You're complaining about touches at one point but you definitely got a LOT of bunnies at the rim off John Wall PnR's, and I remember complaining and reading complaints almost every game about you missing them. Easy ones and just putting up some weak sh*t that rolls off the rim.

Against the Celtics, Gortat had a TS% of .550 and an ORtg of 117
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#105 » by Dark Faze » Thu May 18, 2017 1:31 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pretty much all that needs to be said about Gortat

No it isn't. Defense is a team concept, not an individual concept. Many of Horford's three's were a result of the guards not fighting around the screens well enough, forcing Gortat to hedge harder against IT, creating more space for Horford. Gortat was doing the right thing. It's a little ridiculous that Horford shot 63% from 3-point range above the break.

Happy to admit when I'm wrong. Went back and looked at some Horford highlights--can't put it on Gortat. Team defense was just horrific.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#106 » by WizarDynasty » Thu May 18, 2017 1:42 pm

We need to trade Porter for the closest player on the market that resemble draymond green.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#107 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu May 18, 2017 3:25 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:We need to trade Porter for the closest player on the market that resemble draymond green.

So trade Otto Porter for Otto Porter. Gotcha.

And no, I'm not saying Porter is precisely like Draymond Green, but nobody is, and Porter is about as close as anyone else gets at this point, and depending on how he evolves as a player, he may yet get even closer over time.
Bucket! Bucket!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#108 » by nate33 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:43 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:We need to trade Porter for the closest player on the market that resemble draymond green.

While we're at it, we should probably trade Wall for the closest player on the market that resembles Lebron James.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#109 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu May 18, 2017 4:31 pm

nate33 wrote:While we're at it, we should probably trade Wall for the closest player on the market that resembles Lebron James.

You sly dog. Now I see the plan. And Beal needs to go for the player on the market that resembles Steph Curry. And Oubre plus Gortat for the player that most resembles Kawhi Leonard. I just didn't see the hidden brilliance. :oops:
Bucket! Bucket!
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#110 » by WizarDynasty » Thu May 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Gortat's refusal to add a three point shot to his game is why we the best team in wizard history...yeah even the championship team...couldn't get to the finals.
Why has Gortat refused to add the three point shot to his game goes back to Grunfeld and him not exercising the power GM to force players to develop a weapon necessary for the teams success. ONly person in Org that can force Gortat is Ernie.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#111 » by gravytrain24 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Regardless, Gortat or Mahinmi, maybe both, need to be moved. 30 mil a year for two centers with no offensive game and brick feet doesn't help this team at all.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: RE: Re: Gortat: Sacrificed a lot, will talk to agent to see if its right fit 

Post#112 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri May 26, 2017 12:08 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:

Bird was never very athletic. Not in his prime or after his back injury. He had very quick hands and a pretty quick first step but he was more about ball fakes and trickery. You had to defend him at the 3-point line. But he was great because he was a 6-9 small forward (when most were 6-5 to 6-7) who shot the ball from behind his head and would shoot it in your grill. He had an incredible amount of confidence in himself and his teammates. The comparisons athletically to Beal are just not there. Brad is a pretty good athlete but he'll never have the swag that Bird had. That's what separates the good from the great. Bird didn't need to be a great athlete back then or even now, hand check or no hand check. If he played now, he would have hit the weights more and done yoga or whatever to increase his longevity.

And Morris isn't capable of averaging 20ppg or shooting 50% from the field on a good or mediocre team. He's just not that good and doesn't bring it on a consistent basis. If you get 15 and 7 from him, great, like the one year in Phoenix.

It's a mistake to believe that the player you see now will be the same player you see three years from now. Morris has a skill set that is very expandable. His three point shooting and post moves, plus ability to block shots is a very rare combinations. If a player like him commits everyday to imitating Bird's Foot coordination, he very well could become a superstar.
I looks to me that he may have bad knees which is why he doesn't catch the ball and drop his center of gravity very low like Bird does. I guess having bad knees really does limit your upside. But maybe a new science can fix his bad knees. Technology can be great especially when you have millions of dollars to invest in your own body.
the problem with morris is oubre is they don't know how to land and preserve their knees. watch how bird lands after layups, and jumpshots. The little movements after landing are what keep your body going strong years down the line.

If morris or oubre could bend their back and drop low on their dribble, they would me much more effective players, but they both have very bad knee configurations and poor balance while dribbling. Just shows why Larry Bird was so great. Same with Gortat. I think it shows that leader, Ernie Grunfeld doesn't force his management team to develop these attributes in assets. Forcing your assets to develop a low center of gravity instantly gives your team a significant advantage in terms of winning the championship that TED badly needs.

Number one rule that management has not imposed on its players. Developing a low center of gravity to accelerate on an offensive move. the same theme i see with all of our players outside of wall and beal. None get low when dribbling. MOrris, Gortat, and Porter. 3 starters, none of them can drop their center of gravity because Grunfeld doesn't value this ability. If he did, he would direct management===coaches, trainers, to require a certain standard for our players of low center gravity while dribbling before they are allow to get signficant playing time. If you can't drop your center of gravity like Bird on a post up, and spin and accelerate with either hand, you can't start for the wizards. Simple goal that Grunfeld could ensure happens. This team would see tremendous improvements and break into a plane that would be hard for other teams to mimic. We have very unique players and since Grunfeld admired Bird--you see elements of Bird throughout this team. You see Bird's passion in wall, you see Bird's shooting in Beal, you seem Bird not quit mentality in Porter, you seem foot balance in Gortat. You see some of grit of Bird in Morris.

BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THIS TEAM I

Lack of ACCELERATION while DrIBBLING ball from Gortat, Porter, and MOrris. None of them drop their center of gravity while dribbling and therefore can't accelerate. Number one rule, you can't accelerate without dropping your center of gravity. Grunfeld is directly responsible for this because he didn't bring in professionals to force this into wizards culture.

ALOHA!

Low man wins...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Gortat: Sacrificed a lot, will talk to agent to see if its right fit 

Post#113 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Noted.

Really?

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#114 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri May 26, 2017 12:11 pm

I think the thing is is just play a guy like Chris McCullough at C.

Force matchup because he's playing well outside the three point line offense.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#115 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri May 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Sometimes...along side Morris and May b Oubre

Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#116 » by Dat2U » Fri May 26, 2017 1:25 pm

nate33 wrote:
dangermouse wrote:Sorry Marcin, but he's right. You're complaining about touches at one point but you definitely got a LOT of bunnies at the rim off John Wall PnR's, and I remember complaining and reading complaints almost every game about you missing them. Easy ones and just putting up some weak sh*t that rolls off the rim.

Against the Celtics, Gortat had a TS% of .550 and an ORtg of 117

Gortat's offense isn't the problem, although he seemed to struggle mightly with his post ups. It's the inability to guard the P&R and step out on perimeter big men. I think he's lost a step in that regard. That and Markieff's general laziness in terms of not rotating or stepping out to challenge shots either were IMO the biggest reasons Hortford & Olynyk has their way in the Celtics series.

Upgrading the C spot is must. Even if it's simply adding a mobile big that's a PF who can play C. Against smaller & quicker teams our big lumbering slow bigs don't cut it.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#117 » by Dark Faze » Fri May 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Gortat is a big issue--but the far more underrated problem is that Markieff is equally as bad. If he wasn't he'd have been at the C position a lot more than he was.

Another underrated thing--don't know if it was him just trying to get back into a groove or what, but Mahinmi was also bad in terms of moving his feet.

Think we underrated Nene's utility a LOT. He was the toughest player on the roster and could physically bang with anyone in the league. Also turned out to be less injury prone than Ian.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#118 » by FAH1223 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Gortat is a big issue--but the far more underrated problem is that Markieff is equally as bad. If he wasn't he'd have been at the C position a lot more than he was.

Another underrated thing--don't know if it was him just trying to get back into a groove or what, but Mahinmi was also bad in terms of moving his feet.

Think we underrated Nene's utility a LOT. He was the toughest player on the roster and could physically bang with anyone in the league. Also turned out to be less injury prone than Ian.

Nene also moved his feet way better than any of these bigs.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#119 » by Induveca » Fri May 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Gortat is a big issue--but the far more underrated problem is that Markieff is equally as bad. If he wasn't he'd have been at the C position a lot more than he was.

Agreed he may have been a liability in regular season at times, but he was damn good in the playoffs.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Post#120 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jun 7, 2017 2:32 pm

Dwight Howard is going to try to add a 3 point shot, I wonder if Gortat is going to go the same route.

Return to Washington Wizards