ImageImageImageImageImage

Jan Vesely Receiving Interest From Nets, 76ers, Mavericks

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Re: Jan Vesely Receiving Interest From Nets, 76ers, Mavericks 

Post#61 » by bsilver » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:30 pm

Despite his shot blocking, McGee was a very poor on the ball defender. He wasn't good enough to be a starting center. I liked him despite the craziness and happy he's thriving in GS where he can contribute.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#62 » by queridiculo » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:38 pm

McGee is playing little over 5 minutes a game in the finals.

I guess if you keep moving the bar lower and lower eventually you'll arrive at the conclusion that he's a serviceable player.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#63 » by dobrojim » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:42 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Sato speaks the same language. They know one another.

Too much like the Wizards to not see the opportunity to add a quality player off the bench. The guy plays hard.

Problem is a complete lack of basketball skills.

Running and jumping are nice things to be good at but are not enough.
You need to shoot, pass, catch and dribble the ball. Ves did none of those things well.
I suspect he is still woefully lacking in those skills today compared to a typical NBA player.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#64 » by tontoz » Fri Jun 9, 2017 7:55 pm

Mcgee played about the same total minutes this season as Satoransky.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: RE: Re: Jan Vesely Receiving Interest From Nets, 76ers, Mavericks 

Post#65 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 9, 2017 8:00 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
keynote wrote:Hmm. After reading a few articles, I'm also reminded of how Vesely initially resisted the move from SF/PF to C (I'm not sure why anyone thought he could play SF at 7' with no handles and no J). If memory serves, his personal trainer made a few negative comments about how Jan was being miscast as a big. Of course, as others have said, he eventually put on enough weight and has since embraced the role in Europe.

Personally, I think he had potential as an SF. His J was bad, but not nonexistent as it is today. And he showed glimpses of lockdown perimeter D. At Partizan, he was a 7 footer who would guard opponent's most dangerous perimeter players and do well. All he had to do was learn to shoot corner 3 and you could have had Shane Battier type player IMO. I thought Wizards screwed him over bad honestly. Now he has abandoned all perimeter skills he had before the draft, dude is just a dunker now.

Years ago I said I thought Jan should be a small forward, the same position he was playing when they scouted him in Europe.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#66 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 9, 2017 8:01 pm

queridiculo wrote:McGee is playing little over 5 minutes a game in the finals.

I guess if you keep moving the bar lower and lower eventually you'll arrive at the conclusion that he's a serviceable player.

You can just keep on hating.

In the very first round of the playoffs McGhee was dominating.

Bye bye Beal.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#67 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jun 9, 2017 8:01 pm

tontoz wrote:Mcgee played about the same total minutes this season as Satoransky.

McGee also got paid $2 million less than Sato.

Sent from my LG-D851 using RealGM mobile app
RealGM

Post#68 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 9, 2017 8:01 pm

dobrojim wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Sato speaks the same language. They know one another.

Too much like the Wizards to not see the opportunity to add a quality player off the bench. The guy plays hard.

Problem is a complete lack of basketball skills.

Running and jumping are nice things to be good at but are not enough.
You need to shoot, pass, catch and dribble the ball. Ves did none of those things well.
I suspect he is still woefully lacking in those skills today compared to a typical NBA player.

Yeah, but he can defend and dunk.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#69 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 9, 2017 8:06 pm

tontoz wrote:Mcgee played about the same total minutes this season as Satoransky.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgeeja01/gamelog/2017/

Playoff game logs...

Not once a minus w McGee playing.

Dominating numbers vs Portland and San Antonio. He's not needed vs Cleveland.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#70 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 9, 2017 8:07 pm

Haters gonna hate...

Bye bye Beal.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#71 » by tontoz » Fri Jun 9, 2017 8:18 pm

Most dominant players get more than 10 minutes per game.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#72 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Jun 9, 2017 8:21 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Yeah, but he can defend and dunk.

Dunk? Sure. Defend at an NBA level? Yeah, I think that's been his problem for the entirety of his career. The only season where his team didn't force the opposition into a worse ortg when he was on the bench rather than when he was on the floor was 2010-11 as a Wizard, and that season was by a rather small difference. Literally every other season of his career, his opponents have scored more efficiently against his teams when he was on the floor rather than on the bench, and usually by pretty significant margins. McGee does some things that are particularly disruptive to offenses, overall, but that doesn't make him a good defender.

McGee has done pretty well for the Warriors as the official DAFUQ player on the roster that gets thrown out there and other teams have no idea how to respond to him because he's just so completely different from everything else the Warriors do, and I think he's done well to mature a bit over the past few seasons to the point where he's a utility big who can play spot minutes off the bench on competitive teams.
Bucket! Bucket!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#73 » by closg00 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:01 pm

GSW are quite pleased with what he offers.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#74 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 9, 2017 11:41 pm

gambitx777 wrote:He needs to be in a bit roll to cover up his very low BBIQ. Jan did not have a low BBIQ he was just too raw and had no business being pushed that fast. He is not raw anymore and I think he is ready for another chance, I would love it to be here, its a good story. I also wouldn't mind seeing Shelvin mack or trevor booker make their way back to the team. I love redemption stories.

Agree totally!

In fact, letting Booker walk for no reason -- not giving him his qualifying offer while extending one to Kevin Seraphin! -- was one of Ernie's most obviously bad decisions.

As to Mack, first drafting him & then cutting him because "we don't have time to develop him" (was what the genius said)... smh. Another doofus decision.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#75 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 9, 2017 11:50 pm

closg00 wrote:

GSW are quite pleased with what he offers.

JaVale was a lot better than a "serviceable player" for us. He was quite a good player. Plus, he got better year on year. His problem was being a goofball & being part of a core that had to be taken apart for reasons other than him.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't like him as our pick, & he had the most inflated idea imaginable of how good he was. & his mom was a problem....

But his play for GS this year, for example, doesn't reflect any lowering of the bar. He got a ton of boards, & he posted a .64 TS%.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Jan Vesely Receiving Interest From Nets, 76ers, Mavericks 

Post#76 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:15 am

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Yeah, but he can defend and dunk.

Dunk? Sure. Defend at an NBA level? Yeah, I think that's been his problem for the entirety of his career. The only season where his team didn't force the opposition into a worse ortg when he was on the bench rather than when he was on the floor was 2010-11 as a Wizard, and that season was by a rather small difference. Literally every other season of his career, his opponents have scored more efficiently against his teams when he was on the floor rather than on the bench, and usually by pretty significant margins. McGee does some things that are particularly disruptive to offenses, overall, but that doesn't make him a good defender.

McGee has done pretty well for the Warriors as the official DAFUQ player on the roster that gets thrown out there and other teams have no idea how to respond to him because he's just so completely different from everything else the Warriors do, and I think he's done well to mature a bit over the past few seasons to the point where he's a utility big who can play spot minutes off the bench on competitive teams.

Vesely. Not McGee.

Bye bye Beal.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#77 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:36 pm

payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:He needs to be in a bit roll to cover up his very low BBIQ. Jan did not have a low BBIQ he was just too raw and had no business being pushed that fast. He is not raw anymore and I think he is ready for another chance, I would love it to be here, its a good story. I also wouldn't mind seeing Shelvin mack or trevor booker make their way back to the team. I love redemption stories.

Agree totally!

In fact, letting Booker walk for no reason -- not giving him his qualifying offer while extending one to Kevin Seraphin! -- was one of Ernie's most obviously bad decisions.

As to Mack, first drafting him & then cutting him because "we don't have time to develop him" (was what the genius said)... smh. Another doofus decision.

Yeah like booker and mac are the kind of players that would have seriously helped us in the play offs this year, we just needed quality bench players, guys who could hold their own on both ends, nothing wild or amazing just solid. Thats why I think jan deserves another shot.
zardsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#78 » by zardsfan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:11 am

Should we consider giving Jan Vesely another chance? Reminds me of something a female friend of mine once told me. I asked her, "Would you ever consider giving your x-boyfriend another chance?" Her reply was, "I never chew on the same turd twice?"
Knuckleheads need not apply!
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#79 » by montestewart » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:51 pm

zardsfan wrote:Should we consider giving Jan Vesely another chance? Reminds me of something a female friend of mine once told me. I asked her, "Would you ever consider giving your x-boyfriend another chance?" Her reply was, "I never chew on the same turd twice?"

A good strategy would be not chewing on turds, but that's probably asking for too much.
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#80 » by zero2hero » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Lot of revisionist history going on here it seems. Lets say best case scenario Vesely had all of his supposed skills: finishing at the rim, being athletic enough to defend multiple positions, passing ability, etc. The big problem, to me, was that he was just a very meek and timid player. He was essentially a broke-man's Kwame. Sure, maybe another stint in Europe made him regain his confidence - I don't want the Wizards to be the team that proves/disproves that. We've got enough question marks.

Return to Washington Wizards