Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Re: Wizards Summer League/Training Camp thread 

Post#401 » by NatP4 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:14 am

80sballboy wrote:
closg00 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Keene did score 12 points on 8 shots & 3 FTAs, which is extremely good, no question. Now you might want to look at the rest of his line. :)

Still I hope we bring him to camp.

Best-case, they turn him into someone like Nate Robinson but with better shooting, have him share the ball with someone with better ball-handling skills.

I'm not sold on Keene being an NBA player and I root for the under 6 footers. You talk about Nate Robinson? Phenomenal athlete at 5-7. Isaiah Thomas? Super strong, quick, and fearless as a shooter from 3, off the dribble and on drives. Most of the smallish guys have had tremendous speed, quickness, strength or hops. Keene is a good shooter but I don't see the quicks or athleticism necessary for a guy that small in the league. He's a smaller version of Vinnie Johnson, who was 6-2 shooting guard but was about 210 pounds of muscle. That's about the only way he'll get time as a microwave guy who you can ride if he gets hot. The rest of his game is not very impressive.

I think Keene has that strength and low to the ground quickness like IT, you atleast see it in his CMU game footage, hanging and absorbing contact and finishing, also goes right by anyone who tries to press up on him. Has supreme confidence shooting from everywhere on the court, has NBA range already as we've seen in summer league. What surprised me was his passing ability and ability to do everything within the flow of the game and not be a Jared Cunningham. I'd really like to see him in training camp and playing big minutes in preseason games next to Satoransky and Oubre
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Re: RE: Re: Wizards Summer League/Training Camp thread 

Post#402 » by Tricky_Kid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:17 am

NatP4 wrote:they were up 43-28 in that game and managed to lose. 80-73. outscored 52-30 to close that horrendous basketball game.

Robinson looked good again. 10 rebounds, was all over the place. Keene another double digit scoring outing shooting 50%. Mac hit a couple of threes then didn't play much the rest of the way. Young looked the same, pretty versatile, played good defense on multiple different positions.

McCullough doesn't even belong in the d league, needs to find a new hobby.

He has! Twitter...
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Finally been able to watch some non Wizards (Non train wreck) SL today. This is stating the obvious, but man this class is spectacular.

So many home runs - Ball, Fultz, Tatum, Jackson, Fox, Smith, gawd!!!

Smith reminds me a lot of DWade as a rookie.

A bunch of bad teams are going to get good fast.

Sent from my HUAWEI CAM-L21 using RealGM mobile app
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#403 » by Tricky_Kid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:18 am

Dark Faze wrote:hopefully we can finally cut Ochefu at least

I wish
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#404 » by 80sballboy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:30 am

NatP4 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
closg00 wrote:
Best-case, they turn him into someone like Nate Robinson but with better shooting, have him share the ball with someone with better ball-handling skills.

I'm not sold on Keene being an NBA player and I root for the under 6 footers. You talk about Nate Robinson? Phenomenal athlete at 5-7. Isaiah Thomas? Super strong, quick, and fearless as a shooter from 3, off the dribble and on drives. Most of the smallish guys have had tremendous speed, quickness, strength or hops. Keene is a good shooter but I don't see the quicks or athleticism necessary for a guy that small in the league. He's a smaller version of Vinnie Johnson, who was 6-2 shooting guard but was about 210 pounds of muscle. That's about the only way he'll get time as a microwave guy who you can ride if he gets hot. The rest of his game is not very impressive.

I think Keene has that strength and low to the ground quickness like IT, you atleast see it in his CMU game footage, hanging and absorbing contact and finishing, also goes right by anyone who tries to press up on him. Has supreme confidence shooting from everywhere on the court, has NBA range already as we've seen in summer league. What surprised me was his passing ability and ability to do everything within the flow of the game and not be a Jared Cunningham. I'd really like to see him in training camp and playing big minutes in preseason games next to Satoransky and Oubre

He's fine but there's a big difference between playing against MAC competition and SL squads. And there's another jump from SL to training camp. I said before that I would invite him to training camp but I don't know why he'd take it if there is no space available barring a trade or not re-signing Ochefu (maybe) or Mac (not likely). I'd still rather have Ochefu or another big due to Mahinmi's lack of durability and CMC's suckiness. I also don't like Jason Smith on the floor defensively unless you have some guys who can protect him.

I also think we're overrating Keene just a bit because everybody else (aside from Mac) was mediocre to bad so his shooting stuck out like a sore thumb.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#405 » by NatP4 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:03 am

Tricky_Kid wrote:
NatP4 wrote:they were up 43-28 in that game and managed to lose. 80-73. outscored 52-30 to close that horrendous basketball game.

Robinson looked good again. 10 rebounds, was all over the place. Keene another double digit scoring outing shooting 50%. Mac hit a couple of threes then didn't play much the rest of the way. Young looked the same, pretty versatile, played good defense on multiple different positions.

McCullough doesn't even belong in the d league, needs to find a new hobby.

He has! Twitter...
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Finally been able to watch some non Wizards (Non train wreck) SL today. This is stating the obvious, but man this class is spectacular.

So many home runs - Ball, Fultz, Tatum, Jackson, Fox, Smith, gawd!!!

Smith reminds me a lot of DWade as a rookie.

A bunch of bad teams are going to get good fast.

Sent from my HUAWEI CAM-L21 using RealGM mobile app

:lol: :lol: :lol:
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#406 » by closg00 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:54 am

80sballboy wrote:
closg00 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Keene did score 12 points on 8 shots & 3 FTAs, which is extremely good, no question. Now you might want to look at the rest of his line. :)

Still I hope we bring him to camp.

I totally concede all of your points, Keene does not have the quicks etc. Shelvin Mack had a slow start, not the fastest guy, but he'll be making $6M next season. I am curious enough about Keene, he may be able to pull it off in a few years.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#407 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:14 pm

NatP4 wrote:Michael Young has to be related to Paul Millsap or something, he clearly models his game after him, he looks exactly like him too. He was easily the smartest player on the court along with Pangos, did well defending smaller players in switches throughout the entire game, scored in isolation facing up from around the free throw line, scored with his back to the basket using some post moves. I kinda like him. He's not that freak athlete shot blocker or anything, but he really is a versatile player, he can actually handle the ball and drive unlike Robinson and McCullough who just looked awful anytime they dribble. my biggest question is can he rebound enough, only averaged about 7 per game throughout college. That doesn't translate very well to playing the 4 in the NBA

It's hard not to like Michael Young. It's clear that he knows how to play the game; he understands the game. & he has a game himself. He is out there doing things intentionally.

Obviously, those qualities especially stand out when, in the same game, you are watching Chris McCullough who is exactly the opposite -- a guy who doesn't understand the game & therefore has no developed game of his own.

It's also fair to contrast Young with Devin Robinson. Robinson seems to be a supreme athlete; it's fun to watch him bounce around! & he is (to my eye -- tho this was a small sample to observe, obviously) more skilled than McCullough. But, that is not to say the kid is very skilled, not at all.

Yet, Robinson is not a 19-year old one-and-done player. He's played 2400 minutes of high-level NCAA basketball. You would expect him to have his game a little more together than it is -- not to be so raw.

If Young had Robinson's athleticism, or Robinson had Young's understanding of the game, you're talking about a lottery pick! It's because neither has the other's good qualities that the two of them were available undrafted.

But... still, they both do have plenty of good qualities. To me, they were the right guys to get 2-way contracts. It would be terrific to see them both develop into NBA players.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#408 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:28 pm

NatP4 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
closg00 wrote:Best-case, they turn him into someone like Nate Robinson but with better shooting, have him share the ball with someone with better ball-handling skills.

Guys who can shoot usually get a chance, & especially guys who can score in volume. & I agree w/ Nat -- I liked the way he played the game.

If we don't bring him to camp, or if he simply chooses not to come to us, I think he'll be in someone's camp! IT's success is enough to insure that.

There would be no way to be "sold" on Keene making it, obviously. But he gives the impression of being smart & determined; I'd say he has a good chance to be an NBA player. If he came to camp & looked good, I'd keep him & swallow the cost of McCullough's salary, just cut him. (But it's hard to imagine Ernie doing that, as it shines a light on his awful moves last year)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#409 » by jivelikenice » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 pm

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Michael Young has to be related to Paul Millsap or something, he clearly models his game after him, he looks exactly like him too. He was easily the smartest player on the court along with Pangos, did well defending smaller players in switches throughout the entire game, scored in isolation facing up from around the free throw line, scored with his back to the basket using some post moves. I kinda like him. He's not that freak athlete shot blocker or anything, but he really is a versatile player, he can actually handle the ball and drive unlike Robinson and McCullough who just looked awful anytime they dribble. my biggest question is can he rebound enough, only averaged about 7 per game throughout college. That doesn't translate very well to playing the 4 in the NBA

It's hard not to like Michael Young. It's clear that he knows how to play the game; he understands the game. & he has a game himself. He is out there doing things intentionally.

Obviously, those qualities especially stand out when, in the same game, you are watching Chris McCullough who is exactly the opposite -- a guy who doesn't understand the game & therefore has no developed game of his own.

It's also fair to contrast Young with Devin Robinson. Robinson seems to be a supreme athlete; it's fun to watch him bounce around! & he is (to my eye -- tho this was a small sample to observe, obviously) more skilled than McCullough. But, that is not to say the kid is very skilled, not at all.

Yet, Robinson is not a 19-year old one-and-done player. He's played 2400 minutes of high-level NCAA basketball. You would expect him to have his game a little more together than it is -- not to be so raw.

If Young had Robinson's athleticism, or Robinson had Young's understanding of the game, you're talking about a lottery pick! It's because neither has the other's good qualities that the two of them were available undrafted.

But... still, they both do have plenty of good qualities. To me, they were the right guys to get 2-way contracts. It would be terrific to see them both develop into NBA players.

Pif, I totally agree with you on the two way cobtract guys. Young lacks some of the athleticism and strength but if he can get stronger while continuing to work on his shot as a a 4 he has a chance. I'm not saying he will be Milsap obviously but the comp jumps off the tv.

Initially I was disappointed Keene didn't get the spot but Robinson has freakish athletic ability/length. He's played a lot of minutes in college but catching skill up to that potential can't be easy, especially in college where how that's utilized is a little less refined. Again, he's another guy who can use strength so that he can defend multiple positions but worth the investment of a two way contract. You can't find that type of potential defensive upside just anywhere.

Neither guy is a sure thing & both would benefit if the Wiz had their G League team set up now but still worth the time.

I'd cut McCullough today.

Mac and Ochefu played ok in SL. Not sure why they didn't play more minutes. That being said for the right vet min guy I wouldn't hesitate to cut either.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#410 » by NatP4 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:47 pm

jivelikenice wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Pif, I totally agree with you on the two way cobtract guys. Young lacks some of the athleticism and strength but if he can get stronger while continuing to work on his shot as a a 4 he has a chance. I'm not saying he will be Milsap obviously but the comp jumps off the tv.

Initially I was disappointed Keene didn't get the spot but Robinson has freakish athletic ability/length. He's played a lot of minutes in college but catching skill up to that potential can't be easy, especially in college where how that's utilized is a little less refined. Again, he's another guy who can use strength so that he can defend multiple positions but worth the investment of a two way contract. You can't find that type of potential defensive upside just anywhere.

Neither guy is a sure thing & both would benefit if the Wiz had their G League team set up now but still worth the time.

I'd cut McCullough today.

Mac and Ochefu played ok in SL. Not sure why they didn't play more minutes. That being said for the right vet min guy I wouldn't hesitate to cut either.

agreed, PIFs assessment of Robinson and Young seems spot on to me. If Young continues to put on strength and develop that jumpshot (which looks extremely smooth) he has a real good chance of being a NBA player. Strength to defend in the post, athletic ability to slide his feet and guard on the perimeter, and knowledge of the game which is the most important thing defensively. Averaged 3 assists per game his senior at Pitt and handles the ball like a wing player, can create his own shot in the post or facing up. HE LITERALLY LOOKS LIKE PAUL MILLSAP. I just wanna see the guy play more. Training camp can't come soon enough, when does it start?
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#411 » by BigA » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:27 pm

From BF, Wizards' Summer League struggles symptomatic of their endless parade of suck in acquiring and developing young talent outside of can't-miss top-3 picks.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#412 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Here is more of a positive spin from CSN and Chase Hughes on the SL. I guess Hughes now is the main beat writer with J.Michael gone.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/what-we-learned-wizards-summer-league-despite-them-going-winless?utm_content=buffera95fb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#413 » by jivelikenice » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 pm

BigA wrote:From BF, Wizards' Summer League struggles symptomatic of their endless parade of suck in acquiring and developing young talent outside of can't-miss top-3 picks.

I didn't really get this piece. Their struggle is in lack of young talent imo, not development. It was a team comprised of UDFAs and journeymen. The UDFAs they have did show signs of improvement and development but let's be real, they're not high end prospects even if they max out their potential. Ochefu is at best a 3rd C. Mac can ISO but isn't great shooter. McCullough is a Brooklyn developmental project the Wiz just got a hold of. They need young talent, period.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#414 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:53 pm

jivelikenice wrote:I'd cut McCullough today.

Unfortunately, McCullough is signed for the year. Our salary situation makes it hard to cut him, so he'll sit at the end of the bench. &, anyway, Ernie wouldn't cut him -- as I've said, that would point up the hideousness of the Nicholson signing which cost us a R1 pick & leaves us with nothing for it.

I disagree with your assessment of Mac. Now... of course it would depend on who that "right vet min guy" was, but at the moment I can't think of one I'd want over Mac.

To me, Mac looks like he'll be a solid, acceptable rotation wing in the league. He's cheap for what he brings.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#415 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:17 pm

payitforward wrote:
jivelikenice wrote:I'd cut McCullough today.

Unfortunately, McCullough is signed for the year. Our salary situation makes it hard to cut him, so he'll sit at the end of the bench. &, anyway, Ernie wouldn't cut him -- as I've said, that would point up the hideousness of the Nicholson signing which cost us a R1 pick & leaves us with nothing for it.

I disagree with your assessment of Mac. Now... of course it would depend on who that "right vet min guy" was, but at the moment I can't think of one I'd want over Mac.

To me, Mac looks like he'll be a solid, acceptable rotation wing in the league. He's cheap for what he brings.

Agreed. i dont see why we should cut McCullough at this point. He is a cheap end of the bench player that could still show something or be salary filler in a trade at the deadline.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 462

Post#416 » by bsilver » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:21 pm

80sballboy wrote:Here is more of a positive spin from CSN and Chase Hughes on the SL. I guess Hughes now is the main beat writer with J.Michael gone.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/what-we-learned-wizards-summer-league-despite-them-going-winless?utm_content=buffera95fb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"spin" is certainly the right word. This article wasn't objective, and looks like an effort to ingratiate with management. The whole SL situation can be described in one sentence from the BF article, "Mac was the only one who looked like a legitimate NBA player".

Young and Robinson have size and athleticism, but there's no evidence of the basketball skills shown by players on other SL teams. And please cut Ochefu, and bite the financial bullet and release McCullough if someone useful at PF is available. We don't have enough depth at PF, unless one thinks Scott will do.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#417 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 am

bsilver wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Here is more of a positive spin from CSN and Chase Hughes on the SL. I guess Hughes now is the main beat writer with J.Michael gone.

"spin" is certainly the right word. This article wasn't objective, and looks like an effort to ingratiate with management. The whole SL situation can be described in one sentence from the BF article, "Mac was the only one who looked like a legitimate NBA player".

Young and Robinson have size and athleticism, but there's no evidence of the basketball skills shown by players on other SL teams. And please cut Ochefu, and bite the financial bullet and release McCullough if someone useful at PF is available. We don't have enough depth at PF, unless one thinks Scott will do.

When Hughes started saying positive things about McCullough I got the picture. It's a fluff piece. PR not journalism.

I think Michael Young has "the basketball skills." I think the question with him is whether he'll be able to execute against the tougher level of defense. I don't know why you describe him as having "size and athleticism." I think these are where he's lacking. For one thing I don't think he's 6'9" as is claimed.

Overall, the level of play in SL this year was higher than I've ever seen it. This year's R1 & many of the R2 rookies seem to be a killer class. If we'd had our R1 & R2 picks, we'd be a lot better team right now.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#418 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:53 am

payitforward wrote:
bsilver wrote:

When Hughes started saying positive things about McCullough I got the picture. It's a fluff piece. PR not journalism.

I think Michael Young has "the basketball skills." I think the question with him is whether he'll be able to execute against the tougher level of defense. I don't know why you describe him as having "size and athleticism." I think these are where he's lacking. For one thing I don't think he's 6'9" as is claimed.

Overall, the level of play in SL this year was higher than I've ever seen it. This year's R1 & many of the R2 rookies seem to be a killer class. If we'd had our R1 & R2 picks, we'd be a lot better team right now.

This is the best picture I could find regarding Young's height. He is standing next to Jamel Artis, who at the Combine measured in a 6'5.5" barefoot with a 6'10" wing and 8'9" standing reach.

From this picture (Shoulders, Eyes, Top of head) I would say Young is about an 0.5-1 inch taller with the same wingspan/standing reach. it appears Young has smaller hands as well.

Best guess for Young: 6'6.5 barefoot (So 6'8 listed Height) a 6'10" wing and 8'9.5" standing reach... That works as a backup stretch 4 I guess.

NatP4
RealGM

Post#419 » by NatP4 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:14 am

that is also a media day picture where they probably want them at similar levels.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#420 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:17 pm

pcbothwel wrote:...standing next to Jamel Artis, who at the Combine measured in a 6'5.5" barefoot with a 6'10" wing and 8'9" standing reach. ...From ...Shoulders, Eyes, Top of head... I would say Young is about an 0.5-1 inch taller with the same wingspan/standing reach. it appears Young has smaller hands as well.

Best guess for Young: 6'6.5 barefoot (So 6'8 listed Height) a 6'10" wing and 8'9.5" standing reach... That works as a backup stretch 4 I guess.

Obviously it's hard to be specific, but I'd say at least an inch taller. Hard to tell anything about reach b/c they are holding their hands/arms so differently. Ditto hand size: e.g. Young's left hand looks twice the size of his right hand! :) Seems unlikely.

Trevor Booker has had a very productive career at 6'6.25" barefoot, 6'9" wingspan, & an 8'10" reach. Millsap is the same height with a longer wingspan but a shorter reach (??)

I.e. Michael Young is big enough. Is he good enough? Different question! :)

Return to Washington Wizards