Woj: Mike Scott for the minimum

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Woj: Mike Scott for the minimum 

Post#1 » by JAR69 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 10:54 am

Read on Twitter
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Re: Woj: Mike Scott for the minimum 

Post#2 » by JAR69 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 10:57 am

"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#3 » by verbal8 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 11:50 am

Looks like a good pick-up. He is listed as a guard in the tweet, but it looks like he has been more of a stretch-4.
europeanfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#4 » by europeanfan » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:15 pm

Brooks asked for more shooting; guess he got what he wanted with Meeks and Scott.

Really don't see Bogie coming back now. Which is good.
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#5 » by Sluggerface » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:19 pm

Main reason his price is only the minimum imo (other than missing playing time this season, but that was mostly due to Atlanta's loaded frontcourt IMO).

Low key steal imo.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#6 » by keynote » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:19 pm

I guess that's it, then.

I was hoping for an MLE-sized investment in a backup PF. Instead, we go the other way.

I'm sure Mike Scott is a fine end of bench guy. But we desperately needed a bona fide backup PF who can step up and play serious minutes if need be. Barring another move, our entire rotation is, one again, contingent on Morris not picking up two quick fouls or a technical.

I hope EG and Ted prove me wrong with one final move. But Frazier, Meeks, and Scott are bargain bin acquisitions for a team content to stand pat and minimize their tax bill; they're not the acquisitions of a team aggressively pursuing Cleveland in the East. I can't imagine that this is what Wall wanted to see happen.

Also: what's the rush? As others have stated, there are a lot of quality guys still out there; meanwhile, the FA money is drying up. If we had been patient, we might've gotten a weapon on a short-term bargain deal. Minimum-priced guys like Scott will still be there a week from now, so why rush to lock one up?
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#7 » by BigA » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:29 pm

keynote wrote:I guess that's it, then.

I was hoping for an MLE-sized investment in a backup PF. Instead, we go the other way.

I'm sure Mike Scott is a fine end of bench guy. But we desperately needed a bona fide backup PF who can step up and play serious minutes if need be. Barring another move, our entire rotation is, one again, contingent on Morris not picking up two quick fouls or a technical.

I hope EG and Ted prove me wrong with one final move. But Frazier, Meeks, and Scott are bargain bin acquisitions for a team content to stand pat and minimize their tax bill; they're not the acquisitions of a team aggressively pursuing Cleveland in the East. I can't imagine that this is what Wall wanted to see happen.

Also: what's the rush? As others have stated, there are a lot of quality guys still out there; meanwhile, the FA money is drying up. If we had been patient, we might've gotten a weapon on a short-term bargain deal. Minimum-priced guys like Scott will still be there a week from now, so why rush to lock one up?

We'll see, but to this point all the evidence indicates that they are determined not to pay the tax this year. Get ready to say goodbye to a future pick or two that they package with outgoing salary to get under.

I think they're counting on Wall not passing up millions of dollars to leave.

Also, on the "what's the rush?" question, this is actually a very late signing for Ernie. He had to lock up Eric Maynor on July 1, but made Mike Scott sweat for 3-4 days.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#8 » by Induveca » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:50 pm

Frazier, Meeks and Scott. Bravo Grunfeld.

This isn't how you keep superstar players in town. Wall has to be frustrated.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,544

Post#9 » by closg00 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:55 pm

"A lot of times what happens, when you wait on situations, the other team might get better offers along the way. Then the trade might go away." ~ Ernie Grunfeld

Ernie never waits, he must be a very nervous man hence his historical folding during most negotiations with a player agent.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,359

Re: RE: Re: Woj: Mike Scott for the minimum 

Post#10 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:42 pm

verbal8 wrote:Looks like a good pick-up. He is listed as a guard in the tweet, but it looks like he has been more of a stretch-4.

Woj messed up. He is a power forward and listed as one on basketball reference.

Sent from my LG-D851 using RealGM mobile app
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,078

Post#11 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:58 pm

I like the Mike Scott signing. In 15-16 he shot .392 from 3 point land. He was obviously distracted last year + the knee injury. So, a lost year. The Wizards seem to have luck with these types of players. I could see him returning back to a ~.400 3pt S4 player.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,359

Re: RE: Re: Woj: Mike Scott for the minimum 

Post#12 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:02 pm

Maybe if Washington had exercised more patience, there could be someone that Washington could add. Perhaps a free agent remaining or summer league.

Still not sure if there is a great deal, or at least one obvious without 20 20 hindsight. Sure there are guys I would rather have like Mike Muscala although we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my LG-D851 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,398

Post#13 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:12 pm

I don't think our need at backup PF is all that great. If Oubre breaks out and becomes a reliable 25 mpg rotation player, then Porter is going to have to spend 12 minutes a night at PF anyhow. With Morris getting 30 or so, that leaves just 6 minutes.

keynote wrote:I hope EG and Ted prove me wrong with one final move. But Frazier, Meeks, and Scott are bargain bin acquisitions for a team content to stand pat and minimize their tax bill; they're not the acquisitions of a team aggressively pursuing Cleveland in the East. I can't imagine that this is what Wall wanted to see happen.

EG made a big mistake in spending big money on role players last year. He spent $16M on a quality reserve center, where only about 16 minutes a night are available, and he spent $5M a piece on Smith or Nicholson, who projected to be 10th to 12th men. You can't do that when you are already paying max money to guys who are really good, but not quite superstars (Beal and Porter). I much prefer EG's strategy this year. Meeks and Scott project to be guys who are 8th-12th in the rotation. You pay those guys $3M or less.

Assuming we are keeping the starting rotation the same, and assuming Oubre and Mahinmi are projected to play 1600-2000 minutes as reserves, we really can't afford to pay MLE type money to any front court position. The only position where an MLE sized contract could make financial sense would be a quality combo guard to back up both the PG and SG positions. Instead, EG went with two mediocre guards for less money, one a PG and the other a SG.

keynote wrote:Also: what's the rush? As others have stated, there are a lot of quality guys still out there; meanwhile, the FA money is drying up. If we had been patient, we might've gotten a weapon on a short-term bargain deal. Minimum-priced guys like Scott will still be there a week from now, so why rush to lock one up?

I don't think that's fair. There is an ideal window of opportunity to go after bargain free agents, the question is, when? In some seasons, the bargains are early, in others, they are late. I don't think it's a sure thing that guys better than Scott will be available for the MLE a week from now.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 903

Post#14 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:21 pm

I'm a little surprised everyone is so pleased with this. Ok he's a good shooter at a bargain. Reading the article I get they dropped the charges because it was high profile and they ruled they searched his vehicle without probable cause, but they found weed and molly nonetheless.
This guy looks stoned in every game picture I'm seeing of him.

Whatever.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,398

Post#15 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:22 pm

Induveca wrote:Frazier, Meeks and Scott. Bravo Grunfeld.

This isn't how you keep superstar players in town. Wall has to be frustrated.

If we're not going to get a real star player like Millsap or George, then I think what EG is doing right now makes the most sense. Don't overpay for anybody, maintain some flexibility, and avoid the luxtax this year so we won't be paying a repeater tax in future years.

Keep in mind that Amir freaking Johnson just signed for $11M. Do you really think we could have found a quality PF for MLE money that would be worth the luxtax hit?

Let's say, for argument's sake, that James Johnson was available for the full MLE. That's $8.4M. We are up against the luxtax right now so the difference in cost between Johnson and Scott is their $7M salary difference plus another $10.5M in luxtax fees. Is the difference between Mike Scott and James Johnson for 5-10 minutes a night worth an additional $17.5M a year out of Ted's pocket? Not to mention the even bigger penalty down the road for the repeater tax.
closg00
RealGM

Post#16 » by closg00 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:24 pm

The Scott signing means guess what? Chris McCullough will be waving a towel this season, then he'll be off the team.
closg00
RealGM

Post#17 » by closg00 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:27 pm

Argh!! Didn't see that Scott checks-off the injury box too.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#18 » by JWizmentality » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:43 pm

Whoopee, yet another player with injury problems. Ernie is rollin this year.

Waiting on the announcement that we are bringing back Caron Butler.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,066

Post#19 » by queridiculo » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:46 pm

Decent pickup if he can get on the floor, but that's a big if.

Not a whole lot of detail on the knee issues that plagued him throughout the 2016/17 season, just a bunch of "out with sore knee" DNPs. We all know how that worked out with our big free agent price.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,333

Post#20 » by NatP4 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:56 pm

Not bad, pretty athletic stretch 4 that can stroke it. Still hoping they use that full MLE on an impact rotation player, but solid adds so far for pocket change I guess.

Return to Washington Wizards