ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIV

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIV 

Post#1201 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:27 am

queridiculo wrote:Washington trades Morris, Gortat, McCollough and their 2018 first rounder to Chicago for Mirotic.

The Wizards waste yet another first rounder in the deal but they get a stopgap solution at PF, salary cap relief and enough salary cap flexibility in 2018 to use their exceptions to improve the roster. This deal also creates a trade exception that might turn out to have some value in the future.

The Bulls have no use for either of those guys but it stands to reason that they could probably flip them for additional picks.

Holy Moly!! -- Mirotic has never even been close to being a good player. & you want to give away a R1 pick to acquire him? Along w/ our starting Center?

Plus this trade would leave us with a roster of 11 players. The minimum is 13. & with 1 Center on the roster.

Plus Mirotic costs @ what Gortat costs. Not to mention that, once again, we don't add a guy whose contract is limited by a schedule.

I'm mystified by this idea. Especially since, if you think the Bulls can flip those players for additional picks, why can't we flip them for additional picks, which is obviously what we need.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1202 » by dangermouse » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:45 am

I like Mirotic, but this is too much. He isn't worth a mid-late-ish 1st right now, after that altercation with Portis. Sure they made nice but i doubt its all forgotten.

If we are sending out our first in a deal like this i'd rather it be attached to Mahinmi, even though ive liked his play of late.

We'd still have two C's on the roster, PIF. I think you're forgetting the best C we have on the roster: Jason Smith.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#1203 » by Kanyewest » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 am

rmfc wrote:Any reason to think Oubre could be available in a trade?

It could happen but it's unlikely. The Wizards could trade Oubre on draft night 2018 for a high 1st round pick in order in order to lock a rookie into a 4 year contract and avoid Oubre's impending 2019 free agency. The Wizards could use Oubre to offload salary like Jason Smith or Ian Mahinmi although that would most certainly create a PR nightmare (although I would still bet on Grunfeld surviving it).
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#1204 » by queridiculo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:21 am

payitforward wrote:

I'm mystified by this idea. Especially since, if you think the Bulls can flip those players for additional picks, why can't we flip them for additional picks, which is obviously what we need.

Mirotic's contract has a team option, this is a salary dump. Washington can't afford to take back salary so any trade that could net them extra seconds will come attached to contracts.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#1205 » by gambitx777 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:09 am

The only person I would trade for mirotics for is mahinmi. If they take mahinmi and a second for him sure lets do it but he is not worth loading up assets to get.
If say we did do that deal . maybe indiana would be interested in a a morris for jefferson trade.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#1206 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 pm

payitforward wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Washington trades Morris, Gortat, McCollough and their 2018 first rounder to Chicago for Mirotic.

The Wizards waste yet another first rounder in the deal but they get a stopgap solution at PF, salary cap relief and enough salary cap flexibility in 2018 to use their exceptions to improve the roster. This deal also creates a trade exception that might turn out to have some value in the future.

The Bulls have no use for either of those guys but it stands to reason that they could probably flip them for additional picks.

Holy Moly!! -- Mirotic has never even been close to being a good player. & you want to give away a R1 pick to acquire him? Along w/ our starting Center?

Plus this trade would leave us with a roster of 11 players. The minimum is 13. & with 1 Center on the roster.

Plus Mirotic costs @ what Gortat costs. Not to mention that, once again, we don't add a guy whose contract is limited by a schedule.

Agree with PIF. I never understood the fascination with Mirotic.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1207 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
rmfc wrote:Any reason to think Oubre could be available in a trade?

It could happen but it's unlikely. The Wizards could trade Oubre on draft night 2018 for a high 1st round pick in order in order to lock a rookie into a 4 year contract and avoid Oubre's impending 2019 free agency. The Wizards could use Oubre to offload salary like Jason Smith or Ian Mahinmi although that would most certainly create a PR nightmare (although I would still bet on Grunfeld surviving it).

The Wizards can avoid the luxtax by dumping Smith. They won't sacrifice Oubre just for luxtax purposes.

The only rationale I see to trade Oubre is if they believe he will cost a fortune on his next contract, like $16M a year or something. If that's the case, it would make sense to trade him for a high pick. I don't think it'll come to that though. Most of the surplus money generated during the rapid increase in the salary cap over the last 3 years has been spent. Now that the cap seems to have reached a new equilibrium, things will stabilize. There won't be any more contracts with mediocre guys like Evan Turner and Allen Crabbe getting paid $18M a year.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1208 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 pm

nate33 wrote:...The only rationale I see to trade Oubre is if they believe he will cost a fortune on his next contract, like $16M a year or something. If that's the case, it would make sense to trade him for a high pick. I don't think it'll come to that though. Most of the surplus money generated during the rapid increase in the salary cap over the last 3 years has been spent. Now that the cap seems to have reached a new equilibrium, things will stabilize. There won't be any more contracts with mediocre guys like Evan Turner and Allen Crabbe getting paid $18M a year.

Actually, I am pretty sure Oubre will cost something like $16m -- maybe more. I don't see how not. I can't remember a time when player salaries declined. Not to mention that Oubre is (obviously) a much better player than Allen Crabbe, et. al. Assuming he continues to develop rapidly, as he sure has, he'll command a big salary.

But... you've already suggested a better way to deal with this: trade Wall.

It'll be interesting to see how many teams run into this kind of $$ problem & whether guys w/ Wall's kind of extension can actually be traded.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#1209 » by TGW » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Oubre for Portis...who says no
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#1210 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:51 pm

TGW wrote:Oubre for Portis...who says no

We do.
Who is the better player right now? Id say Oubre, but lets just call it even for arguments sake.
So then it comes down to future expectation and fit
Oubre has a much higher ceiling and plays a more valuable role/position.
Cherry on top is the Portis / Mirotic issue
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 462

Post#1211 » by bsilver » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 pm

TGW wrote:Oubre for Portis...who says no

Oubre probably more valuable, but Portis certainly would help us at PF.
The main problem for us is that it leaves us without a backup SF other than Sato. We'd also have too many PFs.
It's great for the Bulls because they're weak at SF, and have the Portis/Mirotic issue.
If we add Morris to the trade and get back a SF like Holiday, maybe that would be a good trade for us.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1212 » by 80sballboy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Bleacher Report trade idea
Washington Wizards Get: Cousins

Pelicans Get: Marcin Gortat, Kelly Oubre Jr., 2018 first-round pick (top-10-protected)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748773-updated-trade-packages-and-landing-spots-for-pelicans-star-demarcus-cousins
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1213 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:56 pm

That's a no-brainer.

It is a good deal for both teams.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1214 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm

How about this one:

Ian Mahinmi and Markieff Morris to OKC for Carmelo Anthony?

Ian is an injury-plagued player who is destined to disappoint. Morrison is a guy that the Wizards probably are better off without.

I have no love for Carmelo Anthony but something tells me he would be better than Morris.

Bye bye Beal.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#1215 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 pm

80sballboy wrote:Bleacher Report trade idea
Washington Wizards Get: Cousins

Pelicans Get: Marcin Gortat, Kelly Oubre Jr., 2018 first-round pick (top-10-protected)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748773-updated-trade-packages-and-landing-spots-for-pelicans-star-demarcus-cousins

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:That's a no-brainer.

No thanks. No way to i give up Oubre and our pick, especially without trading Ian.
NOP is the 7th seed right now, but LAC, Utah, and OKC are right behind them...
I would feel comfortable letting NOP flop or at best, get swept in the 1st round... then call them in the summer for a SnT if interested.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#1216 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:How about this one:

Ian is an injury-plagued player who is destined to disappoint. Morrison is a guy that the Wizards probably are better off without.

I have no love for Carmelo Anthony but something tells me he would be better than Morris.

No, he would take shots away from better scores while stopping the ball and playing no defense.
I also think OKC could do better, at least from a contracts stand point.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#1217 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Nope, not for me...swap Oubre for Morris and it's a better trade.
We shouldn't be entertaining trading Oubre and a pick without dumping Mahinmi in the process (I know he's playing better, but still...)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1218 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 pm

CCJ -- if you mean the Gortat/Oubre/R1 pick trade for Cousins, I couldn't disagree more.

For about the 100th time, & not just posted by me, we cannot acquire Cousins, b/c we cannot keep Cousins. It's just not possible. There is no way.

At the end of this season, Cousins will be an unrestricted free agent. He can sign anywhere & for as much $$ as someone is sure to offer him. He'll command a max.

That means it would take the same amount of $$ for us to keep him. Assuming he decided that he preferred to play for us over... who knows? The Lakers? The Golden State Warriors?

But we can't possibly do that. We can't possibly keep him at that much $. Look at it on the basis of this trade, & here is the result: next year, we'd have @ $124m invested in 7 players. We'd be way over the cap & well over the luxury tax limit for 7 players. It would not be possible to field a full team. Oh, & we wouldn't even have that one new & cheap rookie salary.

But, the following year is even worse, way worse! We'd have $130m invested in 5 players.

Man do I wish this stuff would STOP already!

The only way the Washington Wizards can acquire DeMarcus Cousins is by trading one of John Wall, Bradley Beal or Otto Porter. Obviously it wouldn't be Wall, since that's the big marketing back story -- reunite Wall & Cousins. If we were to trade Porter straight up for Cousins, we'd lose in the deal. Pure & simple, & there really isn't any way to argue the opposite. I don't even think I'd trade Beal for Cousins straight up.

Then there's the fact that Cousins is viewed as a much more effective player than he actually is. He's a mammoth talent, of course: in fact, if you just look at how many points he scores, how many rebounds he gets, how many assists he gets, how many steals he gets, & how many shots he blocks he looks like a monster, a dominant player who would take his team to the promised land.

But, if you also look at how many times he turns the ball over, & you also look at his shooting %s (both 2 & 3), the air goes out of the balloon. He's still good overall, of course. But nowhere near the force people assume he is.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1219 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:43 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

Nope, not for me...swap Oubre for Morris and it's a better trade.
We shouldn't be entertaining trading Oubre and a pick without dumping Mahinmi in the process (I know he's playing better, but still...)

Agreed. That trade is a no go. It's not going to happen given our luxtax issues. If we acquire Cousins, we must unload both Gortat and Mahinmi. Either that, or Porter or Beal must be part of the outgoing package.

Frankly, I'm not that enthusiastic about going after Cousins. I liked the idea back when he was a disgruntled headcase, but now that he is playing pretty well, there isn't a discount. Giving up both Oubre and a 1st is too rich for my blood.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1220 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:How about this one:

Anthony isn't a good player any more, but I'd do that trade for sure! It helps a lot with our problem 2 years from now when Wall's big $$ kick in -- by getting Mahinmi off the roster.

Plus, we don't have to give away a pick! &, Anthony is better than Morris, yes.

He shoots too much of course -- solution is to bring him off the bench for 20 minutes a game & leave it at that. :)

Return to Washington Wizards