Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIV 

Post#1961 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:Hello Wizard Fans! A fellow Thunder enthusiast sent me these two proposals:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y84jsxj9

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8q5lqt4

I think the 2nd one is fair for all sides. What do you think?

From a Wizards perspective it is fine, not sure how much Phoenix likes the trade.

I don't want to trade Oubre AND Morris to get Alex Len and Jerami Grant. Not sure how that helps us. I think Oubre could be a future star. Does Len even protect the rim averaging 0.9 blocks in 20 minutes for a 7-1 center?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1962 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:51 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:Hello Wizard Fans! A fellow Thunder enthusiast sent me these two proposals:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y84jsxj9

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8q5lqt4

I think the 2nd one is fair for all sides. What do you think?

From a Wizards perspective it is fine, not sure how much Phoenix likes the trade.

I don't want to trade Oubre AND Morris to get Alex Len and Jerami Grant. Not sure how that helps us. I think Oubre could be a future star.

I was looking at the 2nd one.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,042

Post#1963 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:56 pm

nate33 wrote:So, with a hat tip to NatP4, this is the deal to solve all of our problems:

Washington trades: Mahinmi, Morris, Meeks 2019 1st, $3M cash
Dallas trades: Matthews, Noel

We save $5.9M instantly, which gets us out of the luxtax. We dump Mahinmi's final year. We keep our 2018 pick. We take a flyer on Noel who Dallas doesn't want anymore. If he pans out, we have the luxtax breathing room to resign him since Morris is gone. Meanwhile, we open up the roster to go small by adding an extra wing (Matthews) who is a legit starting-caliber player. Porter moves to PF almost full time (after resting until the All Star break), with Scott getting the remainder of the minutes. It might even free up a few minutes for McCullough to audition at backup PF.

Dallas does it to get the 2019 pick. I don't think they'd mind the Noel for Morris part because they've already written off Noel and Morris gives them depth with a salary small enough to not crimp their free agency plans. Heck, Carlisle will probably find a way to turn Morris into a good player.

The only part that might be tough for them to swallow is the extra year of Meeks' contract. I included cash to offset some of that pain but that might be enough. I wanted to include Meeks to get out of the luxtax. I suppose the deal also works with Frazier + McCullough (expiring contracts) in place of Meeks but I don't think Dallas can absorb a 4 for 2 swap. I'd happily replace Meeks with Smith as well since Dallas is overloaded with guards, but that's an even bigger salary.

Yea Dallas has no reason to include Noel in any Mahinmi type deal and take back Morris in the process. Matthews is way overpaid, but the 2 worst pieces in this deal are Mahinmi because he sucks and he's paid like a star) and Morris (cause he's a headcase, and has turned to suck)
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#1964 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:08 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

I don't want to trade Oubre AND Morris to get Alex Len and Jerami Grant. Not sure how that helps us. I think Oubre could be a future star.

I was looking at the 2nd one.

My bad.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: RE: Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIV 

Post#1965 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:10 pm

WizTom wrote:Seems like EFG will be looking for a “jolt.”

Trade Wall, Morris, and Porter for Anthony Davis, Solomon Hill, E’tuan Moore, Jameer Nelson, and Frank Jackson, plus a 2018 1st Round pick and 2019 & 2021 2nd Round picks.

Then send Gortat and McCullough to Milwaukee for Tony Snell and DJ Wilson (I wish they could send Gortat to Utah for Alec Burks).

Sato/Nelson/Frazier/Jackson
Beal/Snell/Meeks/(Mac)
Oubre/Hill/Moore
Davis/Scott/Wilson (and Oubre)
Mahinmi/Smith (and Davis)

Not sure if the details work, but I think the Wiz might be able to get under the cap and potentially have some assets and flexibility going forward. They might have to cut someone, I can’t figure out the head count. Point guard by committee is not ideal, but the ridiculous super-max for Wall just has to go. And I will miss Gortat and Porter, too. But even with the obvious need to upgrade the PG, a quick re-build on the fly with a core of Davis, Beal, and Oubre would have nice potential. Add the 1st Rounder, more young-ish wing players, re-acquire future 2nd rounders, and add take a look at a young PF & PG.

Wall gets to run with Boogie and the Pels finally get a good small fwd. (Sorry, Otto.)

#FireEFG
I'm just waking up...

I glanced and mis-read the first sentence above as "seems like EFG will be looking for a job"

My heart almost skipped a beat at the thought of Ernie having to look for a job.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#1966 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Gortat, Markieff, and our second rounder this year for Marc Gasol.

At some point it's time for Memphis to just tank. This isn't exactly a great package for Gasol, but the best they can get is a high second because nobody is trading a first for him. What's more is there's a good chance Memphis will be in a position to draft his replacement. If they end up with Ayton or Trae Young, the Gasol/Conley thing is going to be awkward. Start up the tank now and improve your draft position.

For us--I think our improvement offensively would be huge. Gasol actually drives the basketball and keeps his headup--great passer. Can make the passes to cutting guards in small windows. Shoots the 3 respectably enough to improve our screen roll/pop game. There are concerns with rebounding and defense, but skillful big like Marc would really help us cut down on our turnovers and run a better offensive game--it might also force a Wall/Beal/Oubre/Porter/Gasol lineup.

As a second option--Vucevic.

Ideally I'd love a great defensive 5, but we don't have the tools to acquire one. We barely have the tools to acquire Vucevic/Gasol.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#1967 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:56 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
nate33 wrote:So, with a hat tip to NatP4, this is the deal to solve all of our problems:

We save $5.9M instantly, which gets us out of the luxtax. We dump Mahinmi's final year. We keep our 2018 pick. We take a flyer on Noel who Dallas doesn't want anymore. If he pans out, we have the luxtax breathing room to resign him since Morris is gone. Meanwhile, we open up the roster to go small by adding an extra wing (Matthews) who is a legit starting-caliber player. Porter moves to PF almost full time (after resting until the All Star break), with Scott getting the remainder of the minutes. It might even free up a few minutes for McCullough to audition at backup PF.

Dallas does it to get the 2019 pick. I don't think they'd mind the Noel for Morris part because they've already written off Noel and Morris gives them depth with a salary small enough to not crimp their free agency plans. Heck, Carlisle will probably find a way to turn Morris into a good player.

The only part that might be tough for them to swallow is the extra year of Meeks' contract. I included cash to offset some of that pain but that might be enough. I wanted to include Meeks to get out of the luxtax. I suppose the deal also works with Frazier + McCullough (expiring contracts) in place of Meeks but I don't think Dallas can absorb a 4 for 2 swap. I'd happily replace Meeks with Smith as well since Dallas is overloaded with guards, but that's an even bigger salary.

Yea Dallas has no reason to include Noel in any Mahinmi type deal and take back Morris in the process. Matthews is way overpaid, but the 2 worst pieces in this deal are Mahinmi because he sucks and he's paid like a star) and Morris (cause he's a headcase, and has turned to suck)

Dallas isn't playing Noel and sure as hell won't be retaining him. If you don't want Morris, that's fine, but let's not act like Noel is some kind of valuable trading chip.

What is Dallas' plan this offseason? Are they going all in on free agency? Or will they tank for another year, bide their time, and then look to rebuild in 2019. If it's the second option, then Morris is useful as a reasonably priced rotation player with a contract that expires in 2019. He averages 14 and 8 per 36 minutes, shoots 38% from 3, and can switch onto guards or bigs as necessary if you are running a switching scheme on defense. He shows inconsistent effort at times, but he's not a headcase by any stretch.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1968 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm

daoneandonly wrote:

I posted this on our "... Direction Forward" thread, but I mentioned a 3-way with you and the Bucks with you'll trading Noel for Jason Smith, Thon Maker, and Chis McCullough... Thoughts?
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1969 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:02 pm

nate33 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Dallas isn't playing Noel and sure as hell won't be retaining him. If you don't want Morris, that's fine, but let's not act like Noel is some kind of valuable trading chip.

What is Dallas' plan this offseason? Are they going all in on free agency? Or will they tank for another year, bide their time, and then look to rebuild in 2019. If it's the second option, then Morris is useful as a reasonably priced rotation player with a contract that expires in 2019. He averages 14 and 8 per 36 minutes, shoots 38% from 3, and can switch onto guards or bigs as necessary if you are running a switching scheme on defense. He shows inconsistent effort at times, but he's not a headcase by any stretch.

Noel is not in Dallas' plans at all, does not mean we're going to just hand him to the Wizards for essentially Markieff Morris, who is a complete whack job and not the kind of character you want around a your young point guard of the future. I live in the DMV and hear all the time on the radio sports reports how much people dog Morris, for good reason, he's the weak link in the Wiz starting lineup. And in your suggestion the mavs don't even get the Wiz's pick this year, they have to wait until next year? All that and we have to pay Mahinmi what 17 million after Matthews would have been off the books and it makes it a no go for the mavs and a heavily favored deal for the Wiz.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1970 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:07 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I posted this on our "... Direction Forward" thread, but I mentioned a 3-way with you and the Bucks with you'll trading Noel for Jason Smith, Thon Maker, and Chis McCullough... Thoughts?

WOuld you mind posting the whole 3 way? I can see the Mavs entertainign that depending on how they view Thon, but wouldn't see the need for them to also take MCullough given Thon (the young incentive) and Smith (contract dump) are included and Dal already has Powell, Kleber, Motley, Mejri
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1971 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

WOuld you mind posting the whole 3 way? I can see the Mavs entertainign that depending on how they view Thon, but wouldn't see the need for them to also take MCullough given Thon (the young incentive) and Smith (contract dump) are included and Dal already has Powell, Kleber, Motley, Mejri

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y79zsafw
I moved CMC to Bucks, but you get the framework
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1972 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:23 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y79zsafw
I moved CMC to Bucks, but you get the framework

Yeah that's probably about as good as Dal can hope for in a Noel deal, given his contract status and such, they won't get an asset like Thon unless they eat someone like Smith. I don't know much about Thon other than rumors of his age and KG's overblown enthusiasm for him, but I'd think it's a gamble the Mavs should explore. I don't see the Bucks doing this though. Whiel Snell is overpaid, he's a solid wing and those are hard to come by in today's NBA, Gortat is having a down year and does not help his case publicly saying he wants to retire a Magic, thinking Wiz would have to give an asset of some sorts to Mil as dumping Smith is a plus alone.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1973 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:43 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
nate33 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Noel is not in Dallas' plans at all, does not mean we're going to just hand him to the Wizards for essentially Markieff Morris, who is a complete whack job and not the kind of character you want around a your young point guard of the future. I live in the DMV and hear all the time on the radio sports reports how much people dog Morris, for good reason, he's the weak link in the Wiz starting lineup. And in your suggestion the mavs don't even get the Wiz's pick this year, they have to wait until next year? All that and we have to pay Mahinmi what 17 million after Matthews would have been off the books and it makes it a no go for the mavs and a heavily favored deal for the Wiz.

What exactly do you think the Mavs have in mind when they announce they want to trade Matthews for a 1st round pick? Matthews is 31, averages 13 points on an ORtg of 105, and is paid $18M. Nobody is going to give up a pick for that. If you want the pick, you must be assuming you'll be getting back a worse contract in return. That's why the core of the trade is Matthews for Mahinmi plus a 1st. Matthews has a shorter contract so you get the pick as compensation.

Regarding Morris, the board doesn't like him mostly because his advanced stats suck. I think the opinion of Morris around the NBA among players and front offices is better than it is on this board. I'm not saying Morris is a stud or anything, but as a 25 minute-per-game player earning $8M a year, he's worth his contract. He's a legit rotation player.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1974 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm

nate33 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
nate33 wrote:Dallas isn't playing Noel and sure as hell won't be retaining him. If you don't want Morris, that's fine, but let's not act like Noel is some kind of valuable trading chip.

What exactly do you think the Mavs have in mind when they announce they want to trade Matthews for a 1st round pick? Matthews is 31, averages 13 points on an ORtg of 105, and is paid $18M. Nobody is going to give up a pick for that. If you want the pick, you must be assuming you'll be getting back a worse contract in return. That's why the core of the trade is Matthews for Mahinmi plus a 1st. Matthews has a shorter contract so you get the pick as compensation.

Regarding Morris, the board doesn't like him mostly because his advanced stats suck. I think the opinion of Morris around the NBA among players and front offices is better than it is on this board. I'm not saying Morris is a stud or anything, but as a 25 minute-per-game player earning $8M a year, he's worth his contract. He's a legit rotation player.

I didnt say Matthews is worth a first, i know he's nit. But why is the pick '19 instead of this year and theres no need for Dal to include a Noel for Morris swap, it does not help them whatsoever.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1975 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:07 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
I didnt say Matthews is worth a first, i know he's nit. But why is the pick '19 instead of this year and theres no need for Dal to include a Noel for Morris swap, it does not help them whatsoever.

Simply put the Wiz have traded too many picks in recent years.

2014 for Gortat
2016 for Morris (when they could have just picked him or anyone else in 2011 over Vesley)
2017 for Bogdanovic and McCullogh (dumping Nicholson's contract which was totally unnecessary by Grunfail)

We need rotation talent on a rookie contract and 2018 is a good draft.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1976 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:39 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Simply put the Wiz have traded too many picks in recent years.

2014 for Gortat
2016 for Morris (when they could have just picked him or anyone else in 2011 over Vesley)
2017 for Bogdanovic and McCullogh (dumping Nicholson's contract which was totally unnecessary by Grunfail)

We need rotation talent on a rookie contract and 2018 is a good draft.

Also, Dallas is presumably in a longer rebuild cycle around Barnes and Smith, while the Wizards are trying to win now. Dallas delaying their pick doesn't hurt them nearly as much as the Wizards keeping their 2018 pick helps them within the window of Wall's prime.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#1977 » by deneem4 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Any way we can get kanter?
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#1978 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:08 pm

deneem4 wrote:Any way we can get kanter?

Has he improved defensively because he's been terrible on that end.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1979 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm

Don't want him. He's like Monroe, or Okafor. Even though he puts up nice offensive numbers, his inability to either protect the rim or switch on the perimeter makes him completely useless in a playoff setting when an opposing coach figures out how to exploit him.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#1980 » by deneem4 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:21 am

nate33 wrote:

Don't want him. He's like Monroe, or Okafor. Even though he puts up nice offensive numbers, his inability to either protect the rim or switch on the perimeter makes him completely useless in a playoff setting when an opposing coach figures out how to exploit him.

Yea gortat doesn’t do none of that either and he’s getting exploited in the regular season...
Kanter can rebound with the best and score at will effectively...
And he’s a for the team type of guy, something we need to glue the locker room together

Most importantly he talk stuff and along with wall and beal is probably the only other player in the east not scared of lebron
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!

Return to Washington Wizards