ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Jason Smith capable of being our starting center?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: Is Jason Smith capable of being our starting center? 

Post#21 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 3, 2017 11:34 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Dat2U wrote:If were fine with giving up 120 pts a game then sure.

Smith graded out as an average defender last year, but he also played out of position at the 4 a lot and that is where he was exposed.
Look at Olynyk, Speights, Frye, etc.
Smith is also a really smooth athlete, and looks good in transition running to the rim. When the game slows down, he seems a little out of sorts on offense. Have him sit at the 3 point line and take 3's. Last year was no fluke for his shooting, over the last 5 years he has shot 47% outside 16ft and 40% from 3. Play him 15 MPG, have him shoot 2-3 3's per game and watch him be a top 20 in RPM.

I assume those are composite numbers. They are quite misleading, as in the 6 years prior to 2016-17, Smith attempted an average of .325 three-pointers per 36 minutes! :) Over those 6 years, his 3 point %s were 0%, 11%, 0%, 0%, 35.7%, & 25%.

Note that last year, he shot 54.4% on two-point attempts. Again, the previous 6 years it was: 44.6%, 53.1%, 49.6%, 46%, 44%, & 49.3% (47.6% avg.)

Doesn't mean last year was "a fluke." But... it sure wasn't typical! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#22 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 3, 2017 11:53 pm

Using last year's scoring figures for Jason Smith, he was about as good as either Gortat or Mahinmi -- & on higher usage (much higher than Mahinmi).

Unfortunately, scoring isn't the only thing a basketball player does. If you look at effect on possessions, for example, by adding rebounds & steals, then subtracting turnovers, Gortat is +10.8 for 36 minutes, Mahinmi is +9.6, & Smith is +7.5.

Gortat committed 3 fouls every 36 minutes last year. Smith committed 5.7. (Mahinmi was even worse at 5.85)

Smith, despite the improvement in shooting, despite having his best year ever as a pro, was still a comfortably below-average NBA big overall. Certainly not a starter.

All the same, if he plays to the same level in the coming season, he's going to prove to have been more than worth the contract he signed. I thought signing him was a terrible move. But if he does that, I'll have been wrong. Not the first time. :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#23 » by pcbothwel » Fri Aug 4, 2017 2:07 am

payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Dat2U wrote:If were fine with giving up 120 pts a game then sure.

Smith graded out as an average defender last year, but he also played out of position at the 4 a lot and that is where he was exposed.
Smith is also a really smooth athlete, and looks good in transition running to the rim. When the game slows down, he seems a little out of sorts on offense. Have him sit at the 3 point line and take 3's. Last year was no fluke for his shooting, over the last 5 years he has shot 47% outside 16ft and 40% from 3. Play him 15 MPG, have him shoot 2-3 3's per game and watch him be a top 20 in RPM.

I assume those are composite numbers. They are quite misleading, as in the 6 years prior to 2016-17, Smith attempted an average of .325 three-pointers per 36 minutes! :) Over those 6 years, his 3 point %s were 0%, 11%, 0%, 0%, 35.7%, & 25%.

Note that last year, he shot 54.4% on two-point attempts. Again, the previous 6 years it was: 44.6%, 53.1%, 49.6%, 46%, 44%, & 49.3% (47.6% avg.)

I agree that he probably wont shoot it as good as he did last year, but he was a GREAT shooter last year. I pointed out his % from 16+ feet to show that has always been a good from distance, but last year was the first year he stepped out to the 3. His 3PA rate was 5% of his FGA for his career. Last year it was 24%.
I really think he could put up another really good year. He is a great shooter and can hold his own defensively at the 5 spot. Not only will more Catch and Shoot 3's help his efficiency, but it will reduce his decision making/playmaking down low which will result in fewer turnovers.
If you give me those things, I'll take the fouls and below average BBIQ
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#24 » by stevemcqueen1 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 1:43 pm

You're asking this about a top five potential GOAT?

Should have been starting since day one.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#25 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 5, 2017 12:11 am

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

I agree that he probably wont shoot it as good as he did last year, but he was a GREAT shooter last year. I pointed out his % from 16+ feet to show that has always been a good from distance, but last year was the first year he stepped out to the 3. His 3PA rate was 5% of his FGA for his career. Last year it was 24%.
I really think he could put up another really good year. He is a great shooter and can hold his own defensively at the 5 spot. Not only will more Catch and Shoot 3's help his efficiency, but it will reduce his decision making/playmaking down low which will result in fewer turnovers.

Thing is... you get the fouls, meh rebounding, etc. whether you like it or not. So, yeah, here's hoping for that nifty 3 pt. % to continue! :)
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#26 » by Dat2U » Sat Aug 5, 2017 12:59 am

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Average defender among all players or average defender among bigs? Because there is a very big difference. DRPM is dominated at the top by Cs. This is because Cs are often a huge component to team's success defensively. A guy like Smith may be an average defender league-wide if you include guards & forwards but among Cs? Smith actually has a positive DRPM at 0.54 but it would rank him 50th out of 62 qualified Cs. That's Greg Monroe, Javale McGee & Al Jefferson territory and I don't think anyone thinks those guys are average defensively.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,949

Post#27 » by CobraCommander » Sat Aug 5, 2017 5:31 am

No...right...NO....he is our Vinny the Microwave...starting is not an option.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#28 » by pcbothwel » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:37 pm

Dat2U wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:I assume those are composite numbers. They are quite misleading, as in the 6 years prior to 2016-17, Smith attempted an average of .325 three-pointers per 36 minutes! :) Over those 6 years, his 3 point %s were 0%, 11%, 0%, 0%, 35.7%, & 25%.

Average defender among all players or average defender among bigs? Because there is a very big difference. DRPM is dominated at the top by Cs. This is because Cs are often a huge component to team's success defensively. A guy like Smith may be an average defender league-wide if you include guards & forwards but among Cs? Smith actually has a positive DRPM at 0.54 but it would rank him 50th out of 62 qualified Cs. That's Greg Monroe, Javale McGee & Al Jefferson territory and I don't think anyone thinks those guys are average defensively.

Agree, but that DRPM includes a lot of time guarding stretch 4's on the perimeter. My argument is NOT that he is "capable of being our starting center", but that if you play him 10-12 minutes a game in the right lineup he can really hurt the other team while being competent on defense
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#29 » by montestewart » Sat Aug 5, 2017 5:43 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Agree, but that DRPM includes a lot of time guarding stretch 4's on the perimeter. My argument is NOT that he is "capable of being our starting center", but that if you play him 10-12 minutes a game in the right lineup he can really hurt the other team while being competent on defense

I guess if the choice had been signing Mahinmi or signing a quality rotation combo guard and going with Gortat, Smith, and some guy at the vet minimum at C, I would have liked the latter, but not sure how much of that is subsequent recognition about Mahinmi's fragility. Smith is overpaid but he has shown in spots that he's not totally useless.

Return to Washington Wizards