ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 Training Camp Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

2017 Training Camp Thread 

Post#1 » by 80sballboy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:39 am

I know people only care about the regular season or politics or NFL protests or the Skins or the Nats right now but there are some things going on at camp. Other than trying to find a power forward to replace Kieff, Tim Frazier has a Grade I groin strain and is out a few days, Ian Mahinmi is thinner, Otto has a female agent (sort of), Kelly Oubre admits he's pretty, Brian Windhorst thinks that the EC is so bad that the Wiz could win 55 games and Devin Robinson is injured.

But the biggest shocker is this
Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Re: 2017 Training Camp Thread 

Post#2 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:29 pm

The idea of McCullough "standing out" is a puzzler. He was so completely useless in Summer League....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#3 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm

What, no Carrick Felix news?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#4 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:46 pm

I believe they are counting on Carrick Felix to improve their bench. In fact, from what I hear...
Spoiler:
just yesterday they sent him out to Lowes to pick up some sand paper & a can of shellac.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#5 » by BearlyBallin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:25 am

Can't wait to see how they do against the Guongdou Tigers. I'm expecting Frazier to set up Meeks & Smith for a few 3pointers. Oh wait Fraziers out... Expecting Satoransky to dunk.
:clown:
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#6 » by BearlyBallin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:00 am

Read on Twitter
/video/1

Wall good from half court.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#7 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:11 am

payitforward wrote:The idea of McCullough "standing out" is a puzzler. He was so completely useless in Summer League....

Classic case of not finishing his sentence.

The whole context:

"Thus far McCullough has been standing out... on Broad Street, trying to bum a cigarette."
In Rizzo we trust
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#8 » by Sluggerface » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:20 am

Went to the open practice. Can't remember the exact rosters from the scrimmage but from what I do remember white squad had Wall, Oubre, Smith, and Meeks. Blue squad had Beal, Porter, Satoransky, McCullough. Blue squad won the scrimmage. Wall and Beal looked like their usual selves. I thought Porter was lit. He drilled two threes (and didn't miss much during shooting drills tbh), he also did a crossover on one of the white bigs which kind of surprised me. Satoransky looked great. He didn't shoot much during the scrimmage, but he performed well during shooting drills, and was one of the more notable players on the Blue squad.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#9 » by 80sballboy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:28 am

80sballboy
RealGM

Post#10 » by 80sballboy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:31 am

Sluggerface wrote:Went to the open practice. Can't remember the exact rosters from the scrimmage but from what I do remember white squad had Wall, Oubre, Smith, and Meeks. Blue squad had Beal, Porter, Satoransky, McCullough. Blue squad won the scrimmage. Wall and Beal looked like their usual selves. I thought Porter was lit. He drilled two threes (and didn't miss much during shooting drills tbh), he also did a crossover on one of the white bigs which kind of surprised me. Satoransky looked great. He didn't shoot much during the scrimmage, but he performed well during shooting drills, and was one of the more notable players on the Blue squad.

We always hear that Sato looks great, He dunks great. He shoots well on the side and in drills. But what does he do in games? Doesn't shoot. He's a pass-first shooting guard but with the way these new guys keep getting hurt, he could be playing point or combo guard very shortly.
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#11 » by Sluggerface » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:43 am

80sballboy wrote:
Sluggerface wrote:Went to the open practice. Can't remember the exact rosters from the scrimmage but from what I do remember white squad had Wall, Oubre, Smith, and Meeks. Blue squad had Beal, Porter, Satoransky, McCullough. Blue squad won the scrimmage. Wall and Beal looked like their usual selves. I thought Porter was lit. He drilled two threes (and didn't miss much during shooting drills tbh), he also did a crossover on one of the white bigs which kind of surprised me. Satoransky looked great. He didn't shoot much during the scrimmage, but he performed well during shooting drills, and was one of the more notable players on the Blue squad.

We always hear that Sato looks great, He dunks great. He shoots well on the side and in drills. But what does he do in games? Doesn't shoot. He's a pass-first shooting guard but with the way these new guys keep getting hurt, he could be playing point or combo guard very shortly.

By shoot I meant three point attempts (It wasn't a long scrimmage). He was aggressive with forays into the paint (on and off ball). Just looked like he belonged with guys like Wall, Beal, and Porter on the court, which wasn't always the case last year.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#12 » by dckingsfan » Sun Oct 1, 2017 3:44 pm

80sballboy
RealGM

Post#13 » by 80sballboy » Sun Oct 1, 2017 6:24 pm

80sballboy
RealGM

Post#14 » by 80sballboy » Sun Oct 1, 2017 6:27 pm

It might happen but I think the question is whether Oubre is ready to start and if they want to subject Otto to physical play for 15-20mpg. We seem to forget he played the latter part of the season with a hip injury. That might be Brooks' worry there but he's obviously better than J.Smith or any other option at the 4.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#15 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Oct 1, 2017 6:48 pm

Scott Brooks isn't any better than Flip Saunders.

He's going to play Jason Smith. That's his guy. That's his Fabricio Oberto. Doesn't matter if he's ineffective at PF.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#16 » by 80sballboy » Mon Oct 2, 2017 1:19 pm

Sorry, didn't realize that you have to pay a fee to see the game tonight. I guess there might be some free access somewhere but this game is not worth it. Not giving Ted any money.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#17 » by dckingsfan » Mon Oct 2, 2017 1:42 pm

80sballboy wrote:

It might happen but I think the question is whether Oubre is ready to start and if they want to subject Otto to physical play for 15-20mpg. We seem to forget he played the latter part of the season with a hip injury. That might be Brooks' worry there but he's obviously better than J.Smith or any other option at the 4.

Good points and good post... I hadn't thought about that aspect.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#18 » by bsilver » Mon Oct 2, 2017 3:10 pm

80sballboy wrote:

We're really thin for quality at SF and PF. If Oubre starts then someone else will be the backup SF, and there's no obvious candidate, although I'm hopeful Satoransky can fill that role.
Seems like Brooks wants to try Jason Smith at PF despite him not doing well last year. Maybe it's a good thing Morris is not available for a while. Several, including the much maligned McCullough, will get their chances. Better to find out now who can actually contribute, rather than after the season starts. Of course, we had similar issues last year with the bench, and didn't address them until well into the season, even though we should have known of the upcoming disaster.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#19 » by JWizmentality » Mon Oct 2, 2017 3:14 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Scott Brooks isn't any better than Flip Saunders.

He's going to play Jason Smith. That's his guy. That's his Fabricio Oberto. Doesn't matter if he's ineffective at PF.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app

That's going too far. While certainly not ideal, Jason Smith was decent for us last year and was our most consistent player off the bench.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#20 » by Kanyewest » Mon Oct 2, 2017 4:18 pm

80sballboy wrote:Sorry, didn't realize that you have to pay a fee to see the game tonight. I guess there might be some free access somewhere but this game is not worth it. Not giving Ted any money.

It's a joke to charge people to watch preseason on TV.

Return to Washington Wizards