Hoping for early November.
Read on Twitter
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Re: 2017 Training Camp Thread 

Post#302 » by BearlyBallin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:03 am

Did Meeks play the second half ?
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#303 » by 80sballboy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:06 am

BearlyBallin wrote:Did Meeks play the second half ?

If he played, it was for just a few minutes. They went with Felix the entire fourth quarter.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,347

Post#304 » by nate33 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:22 pm

80sballboy wrote:Gortat has looked either complete disinterested in preseason or his hands have gone from mediocre to bad.

Gortat always looks bad in preseason.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Training Camp Thread 

Post#305 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:05 pm

80sballboy wrote:Interesting lineup with Meeks at the 2, Beal at the 3 and Porter at the 4, Gortat at center and Frazier (2 straight turnovers) at the 1.

I kinda like this lineup.

Three shooters, a distributor, and a pick-and-roll center who rebounds well forms a solid small ball lineup.

Switch that with Wall or Satoransky instead of Frazier and it should really work.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#306 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:09 pm

80sballboy wrote:Can't believe Gortat has played this entire quarter. He's been horrible on both ends.

I just think you guys are going negative on Gortat.

The guy has been in the league several years and he's been extremely consistent.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#307 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:11 pm

80sballboy wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:Wish we had O'Quinn

Yeah, always liked him. Can play both post spots off the bench.

I wish we had him instead of Mahinmi's salary.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#308 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:12 pm

80sballboy wrote:This is the best I've ever seen Sato shoot. I think he can now play the 2 and 3 if needed. I really think if he shoots like that, he can also take some wings off the dribble. That's a lot more difficult when he's playing a smaller, quicker guy at the point.

Satoransky just needs to be paired with someone like Meeks who can cover the smaller PG. (Patting myself on the back for the Sato at PG thread). I get a lot more excited thinking about the Wizards if Satoransky is in the mix.

I hope Scott Brooks is seeing the light this preseason.

(I am thoroughly frustrated with my Moto G voice translator. It puts more spelling errors and more weird translations than anything I've ever seen out there!)

Bye bye Beal.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#309 » by 80sballboy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:21 pm

Frazier has looked very good in these last two games. He started out slow in the first game probably due to some rust but he's what you want out of a backup point guard. He pushes the ball, thinks pass first and manages the game well. I'm not going to downgrade Sato because it looks like he's becoming a more confident shooter and is a better defender. If some people think he's the answer, fine. I just think after going through guys like Andre Miller, Eric Maynor, Ramon Sessions, Trey Burke and Brandon Jennings, all shoot first guys, this is the type of guard I want running my team when Wall is out.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#310 » by 80sballboy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
80sballboy wrote:This is the best I've ever seen Sato shoot. I think he can now play the 2 and 3 if needed. I really think if he shoots like that, he can also take some wings off the dribble. That's a lot more difficult when he's playing a smaller, quicker guy at the point.

Satoransky just needs to be paired with someone like Meeks who can cover the smaller PG. (Patting myself on the back for the Sato at PG thread). I get a lot more excited thinking about the Wizards if Satoransky is in the mix.

(I am thoroughly frustrated with my Moto G voice translator. It puts more spelling errors and more weird translations than anything I've ever seen out there!)

I get your point but Meeks is not a good defender of two's. I'm guessing he's probalby not going to be great at defending point guards. Frazier is the guy to start the season at the backup point but if there is an injury, and there will be, to either Meeks or Frazier, he's not a big downgrade for either guy. You just can't really replace Meeks' 3-point shooting if and when he goes down.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#311 » by NatP4 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:50 pm

80sballboy wrote:

I get your point but Meeks is not a good defender of two's. I'm guessing he's probalby not going to be great at defending point guards. Frazier is the guy to start the season at the backup point but if there is an injury, and there will be, to either Meeks or Frazier, he's not a big downgrade for either guy. You just can't really replace Meeks' 3-point shooting if and when he goes down.

Mac complemented Sato perfectly in terms of ball handling and quickness to guard smaller players. He was top 30 in DRPM for SGs last year as well. Matter of fact, he was great Meeks insurance as well.

I am sad now
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#312 » by nuposse04 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Meeks is absolutely a better shooter then Tomas but it will come at a trade off for the 2nd unit. Frazier can create decently well for himself and other, but save for him and Scott not too many guys who can create for themselves in the 2nd unit. Oubre still is kind of suspect with his ability to create for himself, let alone pass the ball to others. Ian...is Ian... Meeks has never met a pull up 3 he didn't liked it seems lol.

Problem with playing Tomas at the backup 2 with Frazier obviously will be floor balance. I think we'd be better defensively and possibly having one extra passer could help. Could get why Tomas still gets burried cause Scott seems to love Veterans. Maybe go super small with a lineup of

Frazier
Meeks
TOmas
Oubre
Scott/Ian

at times off the bench.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#313 » by Dat2U » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:16 pm

NatP4 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

Mac complemented Sato perfectly in terms of ball handling and quickness to guard smaller players. He was top 30 in DRPM for SGs last year as well. Matter of fact, he was great Meeks insurance as well.

I am sad now

You still trot out that DRPM number... a number thats wildy inaccurate and noisy in small samples sizes like in Sato or Mac's case. Yet you ignore every other statistical measurement that clearly showed Sato was a lousy player last season.

It's clear you've gotta be the biggest Sato fan on the planet.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#314 » by NatP4 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:21 pm

for the record, Tim Frazier shot .403% from the field last year and was 42nd among PGs in ORPM. Not sure what this "create for himself and others" is all about.

should be simple, Frazier plays when Morris is out, Frazier sits when Morris returns.

Wall Frazier
Beal Meeks
Oubre Satoransky
Porter Scott
Gortat Mahinmi

there shouldn't even be any tough decisions for Brooks.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#315 » by NatP4 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

I am sad now

You still trot out that DRPM number... a number thats wildy inaccurate and noisy in small samples sizes like in Sato or Mac's case. Yet you ignore every other statistical measurement that clearly showed Sato was a lousy player last season.

It's clear you've gotta be the biggest Sato fan on the planet.

I was talking about Mac. You used that number to tell us Lou Williams was James Harden and bash Bojan all year long.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,111

2017 Training Camp Thread 

Post#316 » by J-Ves » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Sounds like Sloan got cut and Felix is getting the last roster spot. This makes sense on a performance level and for roster balance, but I can’t help but feel uneasy about the backup PG spot. Sloan was a productive NBAer as little as two years ago and I have my doubts about both Frazier and Sato getting the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,111

Post#317 » by J-Ves » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:24 pm

NatP4 wrote:for the record, Tim Frazier shot .403% from the field last year and was 42nd among PGs in ORPM. Not sure what this "create for himself and others" is all about.

should be simple, Frazier plays when Morris is out, Frazier sits when Morris returns.

Wall Frazier
Beal Meeks
Oubre Satoransky
Porter Scott
Gortat Mahinmi

I’m not saying I disagree with your rotation, but do you really think Smith won’t see playing time after he was the starting PF for most of preseason?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#318 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:45 pm

J-Ves wrote:Sounds like Sloan got cut and Felix is getting the last roster spot. This makes sense on a performance level and for roster balance, but I can’t help but feel uneasy about the backup PG spot. Sloan was a productive NBAer as little as two years ago and I have my doubts about both Frazier and Sato getting the job done.

I don't really have a feel for Frazier's game. He seems to offer some things... he's quick, sudden and shifty. His handles are good. He's a willing passer and seems like a more than adequate on the ball defender.

When he passes, however, which is pretty much every time, he seems to be constantly bailing himself out.

He doesn't seem like a real threat to score even though he beats the first man pretty much every time.

After a few possessions, you'd think the other team would adjust by jumping into passing lanes and cheating to prevent a skip pass.
In Rizzo we trust
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#319 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:43 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
J-Ves wrote:Sounds like Sloan got cut and Felix is getting the last roster spot. This makes sense on a performance level and for roster balance, but I can’t help but feel uneasy about the backup PG spot. Sloan was a productive NBAer as little as two years ago and I have my doubts about both Frazier and Sato getting the job done.

I don't really have a feel for Frazier's game. He seems to offer some things... he's quick, sudden and shifty. His handles are good. He's a willing passer and seems like a more than adequate on the ball defender.

When he passes, however, which is pretty much every time, he seems to be constantly bailing himself out.

He doesn't seem like a real threat to score even though he beats the first man pretty much every time.

After a few possessions, you'd think the other team would adjust by jumping into passing lanes and cheating to prevent a skip pass.

I still can't tell if Frazier is good or not.. he's small and seems like he's not a natural shooter/scorer, which imo was the biggest thing we needed from our backup PG.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#320 » by NatP4 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:24 pm

J-Ves wrote:
NatP4 wrote:for the record, Tim Frazier shot .403% from the field last year and was 42nd among PGs in ORPM. Not sure what this "create for himself and others" is all about.

Wall Frazier
Beal Meeks
Oubre Satoransky
Porter Scott
Gortat Mahinmi

I’m not saying I disagree with your rotation, but do you really think Smith won’t see playing time after he was the starting PF for most of preseason?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Nope, I’m betting Smith starts.

Return to Washington Wizards