Sato at PG

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Sato at PG 

Post#1 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 5, 2017 10:09 am

Jodie Meeks at SG.

Seems to me that having a shooter like Meeks would work very well with Sato as a pass-first PG.

Sato would also have many more looks at finishing near the rim once teams close out on Meeks.

Those two could work well with Kelly Oubre at SF.

Tim Frazier when Sato at PG is not feasible; or, when Sato becomes a SF.

I wouldn't even mind seeing Frazier Sato, Mac, Oubre, and Ian Mahinmi as a second five.

I really think the Wizards will be a lot better if Scott Brooks would open up his mind to using Sato at point guard.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: Sato at PG 

Post#2 » by dangermouse » Thu Oct 5, 2017 11:34 am

He seemed a lot more composed against the LongLions

I'd like to see him get some PG minutes, depending on matchups. Ultimately I think he's a pass first combo-guard who can give you good defense and play position 1-3 depending on who he has to guard.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#3 » by queridiculo » Thu Oct 5, 2017 2:42 pm

Spacing is the obvious concern irrespective of who he's paired up with, there's simply not enough perimeter scoring from the guys we have backing up the starters outside of the guard positions.

Sloan and Frazier aren't world beaters but at one point or another they've at least proven to be around replacement level.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#4 » by NatP4 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 8:40 pm

queridiculo wrote:Spacing is the obvious concern irrespective of who he's paired up with, there's simply not enough perimeter scoring from the guys we have backing up the starters outside of the guard positions.

Sloan and Frazier aren't world beaters but at one point or another they've at least proven to be around replacement level.

at what point has Tim Frazier shown to be a better spacing option than Satoransky? Burke was a better floor spacer, he wasn't a better player and did not help the team whatsoever, Marcus thornton was a floor spacer I guess, he didn't help the team at all.

and you know, there is an entire other side of the court, where Sato was 7th in DRPM among shooting guards last season...Frazier was actually 53rd in RPM and somehow a NBA GM actually traded for him.

Sato and Mac riding the bench behind Frazier and Sloan would be absolutely pathetic
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#5 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 5, 2017 8:46 pm

NatP4 wrote:...Sato and Mac riding the bench behind Frazier and Sloan would be absolutely pathetic

I agree with this. Main reason is that neither Frazier nor Sloan has any development whatsoever left in him.

We need to figure out whether Sato is a good player or not, & in what spot. & we need to give Sheldon Mac a chance to show during the season what he showed in SL & in the first pre-season game.

Now, if either or both of them gets the necessary rope but hangs himself with it, that's different. But those guys need the minutes to show who they are as players.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#6 » by DCZards » Thu Oct 5, 2017 9:10 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
I wouldn't even mind seeing Frazier Sato, Mac, Oubre, and Ian Mahinmi as a second five.

Can't see that as the second five. You essentially have four mediocre perimeter shooters and Mahinmi. Meeks would have to be in that lineup, replacing either Frazier or Sato.

That lineup would also get killed on the boards, btw.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#7 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 5, 2017 11:39 pm

DCZards wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I wouldn't even mind seeing Frazier Sato, Mac, Oubre, and Ian Mahinmi as a second five.

Can't see that as the second five. You essentially have four mediocre perimeter shooters and Mahinmi. Meeks would have to be in that lineup, replacing either either Frazier or Sato.

That lineup would also get killed on the boards, btw.

Yeah, some problems there. Sato/Mac/Oubre/Frazier combined for just over 20 total rebounds per 40 minutes last year. Add Mahinmi & take it out to 48 minutes -- that team would get 37 rebounds per game.

Moreover, last year those 5 guys combined to score 70 points per 48 minutes. At low efficiency (except for Mahinmi) & on very low usage -- they took 54.6 shots per 48 minutes.

Who'd shoot more when that group was on the floor? Someone would sure have to. At least one someone! & is that "someone" a player whose shooting percentages would get better with significantly higher usage?

Now, of course, we're expecting Sato, Mac & Oubre to improve significantly -- all 3 of them. But, you know what? That's not going to happen. Lets hope 2 of them do! & even so, this lineup would be very problematic.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,784

Post#8 » by CobraCommander » Fri Oct 6, 2017 12:41 am

dangermouse wrote:He seemed a lot more composed against the LongLions

I'd like to see him get some PG minutes, depending on matchups. Ultimately I think he's a pass first combo-guard who can give you good defense and play position 1-3 depending on who he has to guard.

Agreed...but did you feel like you got a good idea of how well he could play based on that game? Btw...that was a very enjoyable game just from a fan experience perspective.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#9 » by dangermouse » Fri Oct 6, 2017 2:53 am

CobraCommander wrote:

Agreed...but did you feel like you got a good idea of how well he could play based on that game? Btw...that was a very enjoyable game just from a fan experience perspective.

A fair point. He looked as good as he does in Euro highlights. The level of competition could be an explanation for this. They did play pretty good defense though, harassing ball handlers. Hopefully he gets more time to prove himself in further preseason games against NBA level competition.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#10 » by CobraCommander » Fri Oct 6, 2017 4:16 am

dangermouse wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

A fair point. He looked as good as he does in Euro highlights. The level of competition could be an explanation for this. They did play pretty good defense though, harassing ball handlers. Hopefully he gets more time to prove himself in further preseason games against NBA level competition.

I’m gonna try to do a lot of home preseason...and i will go see them play another Chinese team again. I was really impressed with Sato/s defense
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#11 » by CobraCommander » Sat Oct 7, 2017 1:29 am

Ok so Sato didnt look good against the knicks (neither did John honestly only because of turnovers )...2 turn overs and 3 points in 22 minutes...not really happy with that when playing the majority of the time against the second unit. I dont know mannnnn but we need Sato to look like a second tier starter like Jeremy Lin did in Charlotte. Ramon Sessions ???
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#12 » by 80sballboy » Sat Oct 7, 2017 2:32 am

CobraCommander wrote:Ok so Sato didnt look good against the knicks (neither did John honestly only because of turnovers )...2 turn overs and 3 points in 22 minutes...not really happy with that when playing the majority of the time against the second unit. I dont know mannnnn but we need Sato to look like a second tier starter like Jeremy Lin did in Charlotte. Ramon Sessions ???

He's marginal. Solid defensively but I don't see where he has improved much. Still afraid to shoot when he's open. It's not like the Knicks have some athletic point guards in aging Ramon Sessions and older than dirt Jarrett Jack. To me, he's a 5th guard. Maybe a combo guard who can play both spots but Frazier and Meeks are the backcourt off the bench. Hopefully Frazier can play as well as he talks on the court and on.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#13 » by NatP4 » Sat Oct 7, 2017 2:36 am

Sato played alright, created wide open shots for people and played good defense.

It’s like people think that the only trait a player needs to have is to shoot jump shots off the dribble like Marcus Thornton or Melo or some other overrated scrub.

Look at stats. The bench led by Sato/Oubre/Mac crawled back into that game and erased a 10 point deficit in 2 minutes to win that game. The starters were horrendous defensively.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#14 » by NatP4 » Sat Oct 7, 2017 2:37 am

I mean seriously, Tim Frazier? Ramon Sessions? Jeremy Lin?
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#15 » by Sluggerface » Sat Oct 7, 2017 5:35 am

NatP4 wrote:I mean seriously, Tim Frazier? Ramon Sessions? Jeremy Lin?

Don't really understand what you're so miffed about.

Every single one of those players has a more established body of work against NBA competition than Sato does.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#16 » by CobraCommander » Sat Oct 7, 2017 6:59 am

Sluggerface wrote:

Every single one of those players has a more established body of work against NBA competition than Sato does.

I’d take Lin right now over Sato....and I’m laughing at anyone that isnt...

Lin is a legit combo guard. Sato might not even be in the league if the Wiz cut him and Lin is starting. Lin might be a starter on most teams but Sato wont start on ANY NBA team. I love the wiz but we gotta be honest about our players within the confines of our own board....
NatP4
RealGM

Post#17 » by NatP4 » Sat Oct 7, 2017 7:47 am

Sluggerface wrote:

LOL so does Trey Burke I guess?
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#18 » by Sluggerface » Sat Oct 7, 2017 12:18 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Sluggerface wrote:

Actually no, most people knew that Trey Burke was garbage before he got here. You really should pay attention to other statistics other than incredibly vapid +/- numbers w/o any context.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Tomas+Satoransky&player_id1_select=Tomas+Satoransky&y1=2017&player_id1=satorto01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Tim+Frazier&player_id2_select=Tim+Frazier&y2=2017&player_id2=fraziti01&idx=players&player_id3_hint=Jeremy+Lin&player_id3_select=Jeremy+Lin&y3=2017&player_id3=linje01&idx=players&player_id4_select=ramo

Didn't include Sessions since he was injured last year and has a tendency to be up and down between seasons, but the level of play he showed with Washington blows away anything Sato has remotely done.

By almost every measure, Sato was bad last year, barely replacement level. He had an absolutely horrid TS%, and a higher TOV% than AST%. He was ok defensively, that was the only thing that kept him on the court.

Hopefully he is better this year, the team needs it, because the guys they brought in this off-season aren't sticking around due to the teams cap situation, but the reality of the situation is that Satoransky has an uphill battle to climb in becoming one of the better bench options in the league.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#19 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 7, 2017 3:29 pm

I think in reality Satoransky will end up like Pecherov and Vesely. He's going to be frustrated in the NBA and will go back overseas for good.

Brooks has a closed mind.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#20 » by dckingsfan » Sat Oct 7, 2017 4:11 pm

Sluggerface wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Sluggerface wrote:

Actually no, most people knew that Trey Burke was garbage before he got here. You really should pay attention to other statistics other than incredibly vapid +/- numbers w/o any context.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Tomas+Satoransky&player_id1_select=Tomas+Satoransky&y1=2017&player_id1=satorto01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Tim+Frazier&player_id2_select=Tim+Frazier&y2=2017&player_id2=fraziti01&idx=players&player_id3_hint=Jeremy+Lin&player_id3_select=Jeremy+Lin&y3=2017&player_id3=linje01&idx=players&player_id4_select=ramo

Didn't include Sessions since he was injured last year and has a tendency to be up and down between seasons, but the level of play he showed with Washington blows away anything Sato has remotely done.

By almost every measure, Sato was bad last year, barely replacement level. He had an absolutely horrid TS%, and a higher TOV% than AST%. He was ok defensively, that was the only thing that kept him on the court.

Hopefully he is better this year, the team needs it, because the guys they brought in this off-season aren't sticking around due to the teams cap situation, but the reality of the situation is that Satoransky has an uphill battle to climb in becoming one of the better bench options in the league.

When he was overseas, he had a TO problem there as well. But he was shooting ~ 40% on threes and had a very high assist rate - so it was all good especially when you added his D.

Here he seems to have lost his confidence - I guess that is how you define it. He is hesitant to shoot and hesitant to break down the D. He is happy to give up the ball.

Return to Washington Wizards