ImageImageImageImageImage

Sato at PG

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Re: Sato at PG 

Post#41 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:08 am

A sample size of 143 minutes is virtually meaningless. Quoting it in support of any conclusion is equally meaningless.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#42 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:12 am

DCZards wrote:I like Sato a lot, especially his D, his size for a guard, his bball IQ and his athleticism. But he has a ways to go to prove that he can be a solid and consistent backup PG in the NBA. As a Zards fan, I hope he gets there.

Frazier is clearly the better choice at this time. He has more NBA experience, and is a better playmaker, distributor and penetrator than Sato.

The Zards are poised to make a push for one of the top 3 spots in the ECF. It's important that they get off to a good start this season. They are not in a position to give Sato the on-the-job training that he needs. I expect Sato to be in the rotation given his ability to play and defend several positions, but I don’t think he’ll play more than 8-10 minutes a game, and there will be some games where he won’t play at all.

I'm hoping Sato's play earns him more minutes than that. We’ll see.

?? Frazier is "clearly... better" based on what exactly? Not based on this pre-season. & not based on comparing the 2 guys' play last season either.

Tell the truth, Sloan is likely a better choice than either of them. If we keep him, that is.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#43 » by Wizardspride » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:27 am

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:I like Sato a lot, especially his D, his size for a guard, his bball IQ and his athleticism. But he has a ways to go to prove that he can be a solid and consistent backup PG in the NBA. As a Zards fan, I hope he gets there.

Frazier is clearly the better choice at this time. He has more NBA experience, and is a better playmaker, distributor and penetrator than Sato.

The Zards are poised to make a push for one of the top 3 spots in the ECF. It's important that they get off to a good start this season. They are not in a position to give Sato the on-the-job training that he needs. I expect Sato to be in the rotation given his ability to play and defend several positions, but I don’t think he’ll play more than 8-10 minutes a game, and there will be some games where he won’t play at all.

I'm hoping Sato's play earns him more minutes than that. We’ll see.

?? Frazier is "clearly... better" based on what exactly? Not based on this pre-season. & not based on comparing the 2 guys' play last season either.

Tell the truth, Sloan is likely a better choice than either of them. If we keep him, that is.

Sloan has been waived.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#44 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:19 am

It's a simple numbers cut. If not for Meeks and Frazier, Sloan would have been able to contribute. As it is I'm kind of glad they kept Carrick Felix over him.

I would have preferred Mac on the roster over Felix.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#45 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:It's a simple numbers cut. If not for Meeks and Frazier, Sloan would have been able to contribute. As it is I'm kind of glad they kept Carrick Felix over him.

Mac is on the roster, I believe -- he's injured, but they don't seem to have cut him. Presumably, because they want to retain his rights.

I don't agree that Felix over Sloan was a good decision, but having acquired Frazier I assume they'd have felt they had one too many point guards w/ Sloan on the roster.

In any case, it's a minor matter. & you have to be glad to see a guy get another chance & hope he gets the most out of it.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,110

Post#46 » by J-Ves » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:51 pm

payitforward wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:It's a simple numbers cut. If not for Meeks and Frazier, Sloan would have been able to contribute. As it is I'm kind of glad they kept Carrick Felix over him.

Mac is on the roster, I believe -- he's injured, but they don't seem to have cut him. Presumably, because they want to retain his rights.

I don't agree that Felix over Sloan was a good decision, but having acquired Frazier I assume they'd have felt they had one too many point guards w/ Sloan on the roster.

In any case, it's a minor matter. & you have to be glad to see a guy get another chance & hope he gets the most out of it.

They kept Mac to avoid paying more lux tax. I’m not too upset because I like Mac and hope he’s on the team next year, but there is no doubt in my mind that if they weren’t over the tax line Mac would be cut for another player.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#47 » by CobraCommander » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:06 am

payitforward wrote:A sample size of 143 minutes is virtually meaningless. Quoting it in support of any conclusion is equally meaningless.

Not disagreeing with you BUT...kyrie didnt have that much time at duke and went first overall. Sometimes you just know... but eithe way I think most people believe Sato can play but he needs time and coaching.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#48 » by keynote » Mon Nov 6, 2017 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Well, that's good, at least. I've been wondering whether Sato has felt properly nurtured and supported in DC -- especially considering how his countryman's tenure in DC turned out.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Coach76
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#49 » by Coach76 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:22 pm

Sato is a PG; he's not a wing, no matter what Brooks says. He's a good passer. He can't beat anybody off the dribble though and he pounds the hell out of the ball. He could use a PG whisperer like Sam Cassell to help him. If he doesn't learn how to run a team, he'll always be playing behind Frazier.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#50 » by NatP4 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:37 pm

Coach76 wrote:Sato is a PG; he's not a wing, no matter what Brooks says. He's a good passer. He can't beat anybody off the dribble though and he pounds the hell out of the ball. He could use a PG whisperer like Sam Cassell to help him. If he doesn't learn how to run a team, he'll always be playing behind Frazier.

The thing Sato does well is run the offense.

Let’s face it, it doesn’t matter if Sato is lebron James, Brooks has played Trey burke, Brandon Jennings, and now Tim Frazier over him. Brooks is just an idiot
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#51 » by FAH1223 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:56 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
NatP4
RealGM

Post#52 » by NatP4 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:57 am

bingo, good stuff FAH
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#53 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:00 am

Nat’s boy Sato was really good again tonight. He seems to have turned a corner as his confidence has improved. He’s even pushing the pace.
In Rizzo we trust
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#54 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Sato get's it done, he isn't especially quick and he has difficulty getting his shot off, but he is a crafty player. I would be interested to see his game after working with some personal coaching, he may still have room for improvement.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#55 » by dckingsfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:57 pm

I would like to see him get confidence in his 3 point shot again - he used to be near to .400.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#56 » by leswizards » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:13 pm

I guess if there is an upside from Wall's injury, Brooks is being forced to play Sato, who has responded with 2 very good games. Hopefully, he continues to play this well, and gets more minutes when Wall returns.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#57 » by bsilver » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Wiz announcers go overboard not to be critical. but Kara Lawson finally admitted the obvious yesterday. The Twolves were not guarding Frazier, so like playing 4 against 5. That's not the only reason the starters didn't produce, but was certainly a factor. Given Frazier can't defend. Either gets posted up or shot over -- don't see why he's been getting the backup job.

Sato hasn't been that good until lately, but he's potentially so much better than Frazier, I'd be pretty disgusted to see Brooks continue to favor Frazier.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#58 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

payitforward wrote:

It's especially minor since Felix is no longer on the roster.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#59 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

bsilver wrote:Wiz announcers go overboard not to be critical. but Kara Lawson finally admitted the obvious yesterday. The Twolves were not guarding Frazier, so like playing 4 against 5. That's not the only reason the starters didn't produce, but was certainly a factor. Given Frazier can't defend. Either gets posted up or shot over -- don't see why he's been getting the backup job.

Sato hasn't been that good until lately, but he's potentially so much better than Frazier, I'd be pretty disgusted to see Brooks continue to favor Frazier.

That's exactly how teams have "defended" Sato since mid last season. Both of these guys are well below average backup PG's. Sato also lacks both speed and quickness for the position. At the PG position, what works in Europe and the YMCA rarely works in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM

Post#60 » by NatP4 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:02 am

Ruzious wrote:
bsilver wrote:Wiz announcers go overboard not to be critical. but Kara Lawson finally admitted the obvious yesterday. The Twolves were not guarding Frazier, so like playing 4 against 5. That's not the only reason the starters didn't produce, but was certainly a factor. Given Frazier can't defend. Either gets posted up or shot over -- don't see why he's been getting the backup job.

That's exactly how teams have "defended" Sato since mid last season. Both of these guys are well below average backup PG's. Sato also lacks both speed and quickness for the position. At the PG position, what works in Europe and the YMCA rarely works in the NBA.

Do you even watch games? Sato had 7-6-5 in 20 minutes last night and you are on here talking **** again. Did you just compare euroleague to the YMCA? My god

Return to Washington Wizards