ImageImageImageImageImage

Sato at PG

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Re: Sato at PG 

Post#541 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:07 pm

dckingsfan wrote:That is a really good question - I wonder if there are other teams that would want Sato enough to also take Mahimni or even Smith.

There are too many teams looking to offload salary right now, including the Wizards, and really only the Kings are in a situation to eat contracts at this point without sending much in the way back, and even the Kings don't have room to take on Mahinmi with Sato. I mean, you never know with the Kings, but given Sato is turning 27 right away, and they a lot of... players on the roster. I'm not sure. They might still be willing to take on Sato with Jason Smith. I'm not really sure how that kind of trade helps the Wizards. It saves them money, sure, but it only this season and they're still in the same situation next season and onwards.

And given other teams would have to send some kind of salary back, I think that makes it tricky. Moving Sato to flip Mahinmi for an expiring contract to a Mahinmi like player who never really plays? There might be a team that bites. I'm not sure I see a lot of value in it for the Wizards, though. When looking for a dump of aging veterans of questionable quality, though, I say, always find the team that has Billy King or Ernie Grunfeld as the GM and start there. ... oh ... crap ...
Bucket! Bucket!
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#542 » by dckingsfan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 pm

youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#543 » by youngWizzy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:09 pm

Looked very good here. The problem with him has been performing under pressure (for example in the playoffs) as is the case with many other athletes. As challenging as the NBA is, it has gone very under the radar as to how much stress athletes have to perform on the biggest and brightest stages. This isn't one of Sato's strengths and my guess is Brooks and the organization realize this; hence the annual end of season point guard additions.

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#544 » by NatP4 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:41 pm

youngWizzy wrote:Looked very good here. The problem with him has been performing under pressure (for example in the playoffs) as is the case with many other athletes. As challenging as the NBA is, it has gone very under the radar as to how much stress athletes have to perform on the biggest and brightest stages. This isn't one of Sato's strengths and my guess is Brooks and the organization realize this; hence the annual end of season point guard additions.

he's gonna look so sick standing in the corner while Austin f'ing Rivers chucks bricks!!!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#545 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:02 pm

youngWizzy wrote:Looked very good here. The problem with him has been performing under pressure (for example in the playoffs) as is the case with many other athletes....

BS. Pure & simple. &, as is usually the case when people make these kind of statements, it's based on next to nothing.

This is a guy who has performed under pressure for many years -- including winning many championships at multiple levels & being the MVP in a number of those instances. He's done nothing since he was 16 other than perform at the highest level.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#546 » by youngWizzy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:15 pm

payitforward wrote:
youngWizzy wrote:Looked very good here. The problem with him has been performing under pressure (for example in the playoffs) as is the case with many other athletes....

BS. Pure & simple. &, as is usually the case when people make these kind of statements, it's based on next to nothing.

This is a guy who has performed under pressure for many years -- including winning many championships at multiple levels & being the MVP in a number of those instances. He's done nothing since he was 16 other than perform at the highest level.

How well has he done in the NBA playoffs? Not so good. Among players who played at-least 30 min in the 2018 NBA playoffs, his PER had the 2nd highest dip (15.4 Regular Season PER vs -0.8 Playoffs PER) from the regular season behind Hassan Whiteside. The NBA is a whole different animal mentally. Jan Vesely played at a high level in Europe and still does to this day. Satoranksy is a great player but many people in the playoff game threads (go look) were complaining how different he looked in the playoffs.

"Tomas satoransky plays like a scared rabbit or a deer in the headlights for a reason. Perhaps his teammates do not talk him up with confidence."-CCJ
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#547 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43 pm

youngWizzy wrote:
payitforward wrote:

How well has he done in the NBA playoffs? Not so good. Among players who played at-least 30 min in the 2018 NBA playoffs, his PER had the 2nd highest dip (15.4 Regular Season PER vs -0.8 Playoffs PER) from the regular season behind Hassan Whiteside. The NBA is a whole different animal mentally. Jan Vesely played at a high level in Europe and still does to this day. Satoranksy is a great player but many people in the playoff game threads (go look) were complaining how different he looked in the playoffs.

"Tomas satoransky plays like a scared rabbit or a deer in the headlights for a reason. Perhaps his teammates do not talk him up with confidence."-CCJ

I thought Oubre was awful with a PER of 9.8. Not sure I've ever seen a negative PER. 60 minutes is a small sample size, and yet an important sample size.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#548 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:06 am

Read on Twitter
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#549 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:13 am

youngWizzy wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Way to make a comment and not get the big picture.

Scott Brooks is ruining his NBA career. I wish Satoransky well with another club.

Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, Memphis...he's going to be fine once he escapes the Wizards.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#550 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:41 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
youngWizzy wrote:
payitforward wrote:BS. Pure & simple. &, as is usually the case when people make these kind of statements, it's based on next to nothing.

Way to make a comment and not get the big picture.

Scott Brooks is ruining his NBA career. I wish Satoransky well with another club.

Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, Memphis...he's going to be fine once he escapes the Wizards.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app

Can you imagine if he went to the Spurs... he could play a lot of SG/SF there and they also only have Derrick White. Bryn Forbes, Patty Mills are shooters and Dejounte Murray is back next year..
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#551 » by Induveca » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:55 am

He’d be great there. Poppovich never ceases to amaze me, he just extended Dante Cunningham’s career by 3 years in 1/5 season.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#552 » by Eli Babak » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:48 pm

I will not be surprised if Sato decides to go back to Europe next summer unless he gets a big NBA offer (I guess he'd settle for lesser money if he could just leave the Wizards but I think they have matching rights). He'd be closer to home and play in a bigger role. He's badly underrated and misused by Brooks and that's a real shame.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#553 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:24 pm

I like Sato, but I think it’s Randle that needs to have a shot at back-up PG.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#554 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Eli Babak wrote:I will not be surprised if Sato decides to go back to Europe next summer unless he gets a big NBA offer (I guess he'd settle for lesser money if he could just leave the Wizards but I think they have matching rights). He'd be closer to home and play in a bigger role. He's badly underrated and misused by Brooks and that's a real shame.

I don't think he's going back to Europe. He's talked about how playing in the NBA is his dream and how thrilled he is to have 'made it'.

He can go to a much more positive situation as CCJ alluded to.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#555 » by Eli Babak » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:50 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Eli Babak wrote:I will not be surprised if Sato decides to go back to Europe next summer unless he gets a big NBA offer (I guess he'd settle for lesser money if he could just leave the Wizards but I think they have matching rights). He'd be closer to home and play in a bigger role. He's badly underrated and misused by Brooks and that's a real shame.

I don't think he's going back to Europe. He's talked about how playing in the NBA is his dream and how thrilled he is to have 'made it'.

I hope you are right because he's a good player and belongs to the NBA. We really cannot afford him in our current situation because he should get 5-8M a year in his next deal so hopefully he gets traded to a better place or preferably gets a bigger role in this team.

Edit:
FAH1223 wrote:We could easily afford to keep him. Luxury tax line jumps to $135M this summer and more in 2020.

Okay, good to know. I guess the problem then is Oubre's extension. Ernie's gonna ernie one way or another.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#556 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:58 pm

Eli Babak wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

I hope you are right because he's a good player and belongs to the NBA. We really cannot afford him in our current situation because he should get 5-8M a year in his next deal so hopefully he gets traded to a better place or preferably gets a bigger role in this team.

We could easily afford to keep him. Luxury tax line jumps to $135M this summer and more in 2020.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#557 » by FAH1223 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:33 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#558 » by NatP4 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:31 pm

LOL. His teammates know
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#559 » by Dark Faze » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:07 pm

I start him yesterday. Need to get a good sample size of what he looks like at SF playing starter minutes. "Backup PG" is clearly too small for him. The things we want from SF : Ball movement, play making, shot making, defense--he can do all of them.

There's going to be times where he gets rekt by some stud wing like LeBron/George/etc, but we don't have anybody on the roster for those guys anyway. If he plays really well as a starter and helps us turn things around, then it becomes a lot easier to justify extending him. And also, hopefully make him feel a lot better about staying with the team.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#560 » by pcbothwel » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:20 pm

SAAATTTOOOO Skip to 2:35

" I blame myself... Sato needs to play more... He plays for the team, he plays hard... He needs to play more and I think I found it"

Return to Washington Wizards