Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,989

Re: Sato at PG 

Post#101 » by DCZards » Sun Dec 3, 2017 2:57 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Read on Twitter

whole lotta BS, Sato isn't playing once Wall is back and wouldn't have without the injury. Alot of Sato's confidence issues stem from Brooks giving him a short or nonexistent leash.

"player development coach"

Listening to Brooks it sounds like two of the areas that he and the coaching staff have worked with Sato on have been his shooting and getting him to move the ball more quickly when he's in the game. These were indeed two areas of weakness. It sounds like Sato has been a hard worker and willing learner.

While playing time is important (and Sato is certainly earning more), a lot of player development takes place during practice and in film sessions. That appears to be what's happening with Tomas.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#102 » by dangermouse » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:48 am

He should be rewarded for his hard work & good play while Wall is injured, with the backup PG spot when Wall returns. Keep him on a medium-length leash, but this is a must. Anything less is going backwards.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,900

Post#103 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:17 am

DCZards wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm not so sure. I think Sato should move ahead of Frazier, but I don't think Brooks will do so.

Brooks is a fan of consistency. He rarely shakes up the lineup unless there has been a major losing streak or really bad effort by a player. It's not like Frazier has been really bad or anything. He hasn't done anything to actively lose his position.

I hope I'm wrong. The thing I don't get is why it became established so quickly that Frazier was the #2 PG and Sato was #3. At no point in this season did I feel that Frazier was categorically better than Sato. They've both been pretty solid all year.

Sato has been outstanding the last few games. His confidence is growing and that's only going to help him get better. 22 assists and zero turnovers. That's impressive! It's imperative that Sato continue to get quality minutes, both now and when JWall returns. He's the long-term backup PG...not Frazier.

However, as you point out, what's been lost in our euphoria over Sato's play is the fact that Frazier has been solid as well. Tim had six points on 3-5 shooting, six assists, five rebounds and one turnover last night in just over 23 minutes. That's good stuff!

I really don't care whether Frazier or Sato starts while Wall is out. What's most important is that Sato plays at least 20-25 minutes a game.

I expect and hope to see less Beal at PG now that both Frazier and Sato have shown that they are capable of holding it down while Wall is out.

I agree w/ Zards -- point by point.

Frazier has been a positive surprise (& I was very much against the trade -- wrongly), & now Satoransky has taken his turn to surprise us. He needs as many minutes as possible until John comes back.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,975

Post#104 » by FAH1223 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,095

Post#105 » by dckingsfan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:45 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Watching this game again - Sato missed out on a bunch of assists after good passes.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,342

Post#106 » by NatP4 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:44 am

dckingsfan wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Watching this game again - Sato missed out on a bunch of assists after good passes.

also, the crunch time offense was zipping the ball around with everyone touching it, was a million times less predictable. You could hear Sato barking out directions to every player every single time down the court. His defense and rebounding was also fantastic down the stretch.

I really think Satoransky is a starting caliber point guard that just needs to keep gaining experience and confidence until all the hesitancy is gone from his game.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#107 » by NatP4 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:48 am

80% from the line and 43% from 3 with a 16 PER. a 5.4 assist-turnover ratio. Ontop of elite defense

i'm very interested to see how far he can climb in RPM. He's already up to 24th for small forwards, inching closer to Otto. Kelly is sitting at 32. Imagine a rotation where we play alot of small ball and all of Wall-Beal-Sato-Oubre-Porter play 30+ minutes every night. That is where we need to get, with whatever combination or single player that can protect the rim and set screens and roll to the basket at the 5.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by dangermouse » Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:52 am

Someone should tweet at Wall and tell him if he wants to win 1st team All Defense he needs to watch how Sato stays in front of his man. Wall shutting down guys like that while still being a ball thief and a chasedown block monster could even be DPOY this year.

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,095

Post#109 » by dckingsfan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 pm

NatP4 wrote:80% from the line and 43% from 3 with a 16 PER. a 5.4 assist-turnover ratio. Ontop of elite defense

i'm very interested to see how far he can climb in RPM. He's already up to 24th for small forwards, inching closer to Otto. Kelly is sitting at 32. Imagine a rotation where we play alot of small ball and all of Wall-Beal-Sato-Oubre-Porter play 30+ minutes every night. That is where we need to get, with whatever combination or single player that can protect the rim and set screens and roll to the basket at the 5.

Seems like he is continuing the trend... kind of moving out of small sample size?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,438

Post#110 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:43 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

also, the crunch time offense was zipping the ball around with everyone touching it, was a million times less predictable. You could hear Sato barking out directions to every player every single time down the court. His defense and rebounding was also fantastic down the stretch.

I really think Satoransky is a starting caliber point guard that just needs to keep gaining experience and confidence until all the hesitancy is gone from his game.

He still has problems handling the ball under intense defensive pressure. Teams can often force him to pick the ball up at halfcourt and goad him into making a bad pass. I think that problem would be magnified if he started and teams produced a scouting report on him.

I love Sato, but I'm not yet convinced he is starting material. He is a quality role player though. Forget his position. Just put him on the floor and he'll blend in and do lots of good things without doing many bad things. There's no reason he shouldn't be our backup PG while stealing a few extra minutes at SG or SF.

You said it best in another post. We should try to get any 4 of Wall, Beal, Sato, Oubre and Porter on the floor, with one rim protector/pick setter. All of those guys should play 25-35 minutes every night.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#111 » by NatP4 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 pm

I’m willing to bet anyone on this board 6 million dollars that Satoransky will not be the primary backup point guard to Wall Tonight
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,360

Post#112 » by Kanyewest » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:54 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’m willing to bet anyone on this board 6 million dollars that Satoransky will not be the primary backup point guard to Wall Tonight

I'll put up $1.00 for your $6,000,000.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#113 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:16 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’m willing to bet anyone on this board 6 million dollars that Satoransky will not be the primary backup point guard to Wall Tonight

Sato was the backup PG against Memphis. Pay up! :D
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#114 » by tontoz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Brooks must read this board and put in Tomas just to troll Nat.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#115 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:37 pm

Kanyewest wrote:

I'll put up $1.00 for your $6,000,000.

I'll accept bitcoins. :wink:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM

Post#116 » by NatP4 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:49 pm

nate33 wrote:

to be fair, he played Frazier at point and Tomas at SF shortly after that.

nevertheless, I now owe Kanye West $6,000,001.00
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#117 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:52 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Frazier and Wall combined to play a total of 33 minutes. Sato was the PG for the other 15. I'd say that makes him the primary backup PG.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,882

Post#118 » by Wizardspride » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:46 am

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#119 » by dangermouse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:47 am

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I'd say that was more out of necessity, down our starting PF a few others got a 'bump up' in position, so some minutes at SF were needed. Couple that with this being first game back for Wall testing his knee in a full pace game. He played 28 minutes, thats like 10 less than normal.

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,038

Re: RE: Re: Sato at PG 

Post#120 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:59 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Watching this game again - Sato missed out on a bunch of assists after good passes.

He still has problems handling the ball under intense defensive pressure. Teams can often force him to pick the ball up at halfcourt and goad him into making a bad pass. I think that problem would be magnified if he started and teams produced a scouting report on him.

I love Sato, but I'm not yet convinced he is starting material. He is a quality role player though. Forget his position. Just put him on the floor and he'll blend in and do lots of good things without doing many bad things. There's no reason he shouldn't be our backup PG while stealing a few extra minutes at SG or SF.

You said it best in another post. We should try to get any 4 of Wall, Beal, Sato, Oubre and Porter on the floor, with one rim protector/pick setter. All of those guys should play 25-35 minutes every night.

I noticed during the Los Angeles Clippers game yesterday that Sato can be forced to give up the basketball. Couple players for LAC did steal the ball with intense pressure apply to Satoransky.

He still had 11 points, though. His good plays still far outweighed his bad ones. Tim Frazier barely got in the game.

I'm really happy that this is happened so quickly and so early in the season.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards