Sato at PG

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: Sato at PG 

Post#241 » by FAH1223 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:54 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:How are we gonna re sign this guy?

Wall, Beal, Porter, Sato, Mahimni, Morris and Oubre are under contract for next year with options for Meeks and Smith (we can only hope they opt out).

It is 2019-2020 where we are going to have a problem. $107M for 4 players - LOL!!!

Not many teams have cap room in 2019.

Re-Signing KO and Sato won’t be too hard. The issue is how much does the luxury tax threshold goes and can we dump Mahinmi and draft a young big man.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#242 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:57 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’d do something similar to Randy Wittman’s rotation in the playoffs:

First sub is Sato in for Wall at about the 5:00 minute mark
Sato-Beal-Porter-Morris-Gortat

Next sub is Mahinmi in for Gortat and Oubre in for Porter 3:00 minute mark
Sato-Beal-Oubre-Morris-Mahinmi

Next sub is Wall back in for Beal start of the 2nd/4th
Wall-Sato-Oubre-Morris-Mahinmi

Next sub is Porter back in for Morris 10:00 minute mark
Wall-Sato-Oubre-Porter-Mahinmi

Last subs are Beal and Gortat back in for Sato Mahinmi 7:00 minute mark

Close the half with Wall-Beal-Oubre-Porter-Gortat

In this scenario: Oubre plays 30 minutes and Satoransky plays 20. Similar to right now. Morris plays about 28. The basic idea is to stagger Wall and Beal and close halves playing small ball.

Agreed. But, as you see, it's hard to get Sato more than 20 minutes when you do this. Maybe you get him back in with 3-4 minutes to go if a small-ball lineup is appropriate. Also, Oubre has to play 15 consecutive minutes each half. That's probably doable since there are more timeouts late in the 2nd and 4th quarter, but fatigue might become a factor.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,319

Post#243 » by NatP4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:08 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:How are we gonna re sign this guy?

Wall, Beal, Porter, Sato, Mahimni, Morris and Oubre are under contract for next year with options for Meeks and Smith (we can only hope they opt out).

It is 2019-2020 where we are going to have a problem. $107M for 4 players - LOL!!!

Re-Signing KO and Sato won’t be too hard. The issue is how much does the luxury tax threshold goes and can we dump Mahinmi and draft a young big man.

one thing is forsure, We will be able to draft a high upside young big. This draft is loaded with them all the way through the 1st round.

McCoy/Robinson/Williams/Metu/Yurtseven/Wiley/Carter and plenty of intriguing small ball 4 wing options if one of the top bigs don't drop to us.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#244 » by NatP4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:10 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I’d do something similar to Randy Wittman’s rotation in the playoffs:

In this scenario: Oubre plays 30 minutes and Satoransky plays 20. Similar to right now. Morris plays about 28. The basic idea is to stagger Wall and Beal and close halves playing small ball.

Agreed. But, as you see, it's hard to get Sato more than 20 minutes when you do this. Maybe you get him back in with 3-4 minutes to go if a small-ball lineup is appropriate. Also, Oubre has to play 15 consecutive minutes each half. That's probably doable since there are more timeouts late in the 2nd and 4th quarter, but fatigue might become a factor.

yeah true, Otto did it in 2015, but either way, the basic idea is to play an 8 man rotation with Oubre Sato and Mahinmi and to play small ball as much as you can. Of course Brooks all signs point to brooks leaning towards abandoning Sato, playing the no PG lineup and sticking with two bigs at all times because Mike Scott makes a couple YOLO jumpshots.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#245 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:19 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

yeah true, Otto did it in 2015, but either way, the basic idea is to play an 8 man rotation with Oubre Sato and Mahinmi and to play small ball as much as you can. Of course Brooks all signs point to brooks leaning towards abandoning Sato, playing the no PG lineup and sticking with two bigs at all times because Mike Scott makes a couple YOLO jumpshots.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sato doesn't even play much in the playoffs. Brooks will play Derrick Rose or Deron Williams or some other low-efficiency, horrible-D, shot-jacker found off of waivers.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#246 » by NatP4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:24 pm

has terrible flashbacks of Wall and Jennings backcourt in pivotal moments of celtics series
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: RE: Re: Sato at PG 

Post#247 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Agreed. But, as you see, it's hard to get Sato more than 20 minutes when you do this. Maybe you get him back in with 3-4 minutes to go if a small-ball lineup is appropriate. Also, Oubre has to play 15 consecutive minutes each half. That's probably doable since there are more timeouts late in the 2nd and 4th quarter, but fatigue might become a factor.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sato doesn't even play much in the playoffs. Brooks will play Derrick Rose or Deron Williams or some other low-efficiency, horrible-D, shot-jacker found off of waivers.
Management is tipping its hand. That is the way they and Scott Brooks want to go.

I'm just speculating. . Maybe some of the players like Derrick Rose and they talk to the owner and the owner tells the management what to do?
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#248 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:43 pm

NatP4 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Wall, Beal, Porter, Sato, Mahimni, Morris and Oubre are under contract for next year with options for Meeks and Smith (we can only hope they opt out).

one thing is forsure, We will be able to draft a high up
Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]side young big. This draft is loaded with them all the way through the 1st round.

McCoy/Robinson/Williams/Metu/Yurtseven/Wiley/Carter and plenty of intriguing small ball 4 wing options if one of the top bigs don't drop to us.
As much as I would like them to draft a big guy, if someone like Zaire Smith or Daniel Gafford declares, take the best player available.
Bye bye Beal.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#249 » by NatP4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

one thing is forsure, We will be able to draft a high upside young big. This draft is loaded with them all the way through the 1st round.

As much as I would like them to draft a big guy, if someone like Zaire Smith or Daniel Gafford declares, take the best player available.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]

yes to Daniel Gafford. He's flying way under the radar. Might be the best rim protector in college basketball
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sato at PG 

Post#250 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:21 pm

NatP4 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

yes to Daniel Gafford. He's flying way under the radar. Might be the best rim protector in college basketball
All you got to do is take one look at the guy. He's the real deal. Lottery Talent no doubt my mind.
Bye bye Beal.
NatP4
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sato at PG 

Post#251 » by NatP4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:As much as I would like them to draft a big guy, if someone like Zaire Smith or Daniel Gafford declares, take the best player available.

All you got to do is take one look at the guy. He's the real deal. Lottery Talent no doubt my mind.

we are 100% going to have some high upside big options at our pick if we're in the 20-25 range. I would be happy to pick Yurtseven. Would be cautiously optimistic about someone like Mitchel Robinson. Would be thrilled with Miles Bridges dropping to us.

Ernie will probably pick the one bust out of all of them though.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sato at PG 

Post#252 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:42 pm

NatP4 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

we are 100% going to have some high upside big options at our pick if we're in the 20-25 range. I would be happy to pick Yurtseven. Would be cautiously optimistic about someone like Mitchel Robinson. Would be thrilled with Miles Bridges dropping to us.

We will see.

Kelly Oubre was a pretty good pick. Jan Vesely not so good.
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sato at PG 

Post#253 » by FAH1223 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:58 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:All you got to do is take one look at the guy. He's the real deal. Lottery Talent no doubt my mind.

We will see.

Kelly Oubre was a pretty good pick. Jan Vesely not so good.

I'm still stunned Grunfail (or was it Sheppard) hit on the Oubre pick.
RealGM

Post#254 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:27 am

double post
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#255 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:28 am

NatP4 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

Now that we have the 1st and 2nd round pick AT LEAST UNTIL THE SEASON ENDS....

I think it would be a good time to bump the Wizards' draft thread.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#256 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:38 am

Since taking over as a starter, Sato is averaging 11.8 points, 5.5 assists, 3.1 boards and 1.6 steals in 27.4 minutes.

Per 36, that's 15.5 points, 7.2 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 2.1 steals. He has a TS% of .715. His ORtg is 131. His DRtg is 106. The team is 6-2 over that stretch and Sato has an on/off rating of +9.2. He had a negative point differential in just one of those 8 games (the Philly game).

He has made 10 of his last 12 threes. :o
NatP4
RealGM

Post#257 » by NatP4 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 am

NatP4 wrote:

Now that we have the 1st and 2nd round pick AT LEAST UNTIL THE SEASON ENDS....

I think it would be a good time to bump the Wizards' draft thread.

i agree, we actually don't have one. Make one CCJ!
NatP4
RealGM

Post#258 » by NatP4 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am

nate33 wrote:Since taking over as a starter, Sato is averaging 11.8 points, 5.5 assists, 3.1 boards and 1.6 steals in 27.4 minutes.

Per 36, that's 15.5 points, 7.2 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 2.1 steals. He has a TS% of .715. His ORtg is 131. His DRtg is 106. The team is 6-2 over that stretch and Sato has an on/off rating of +9.2. He had a negative point differential in just one of those 8 games (the Philly game).

So my Manu Ginobili comparison wasn't that far off? :D
RealGM

Post#259 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:43 am

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Since taking over as a starter, Sato is averaging 11.8 points, 5.5 assists, 3.1 boards and 1.6 steals in 27.4 minutes.

I think perhaps the level of international play has caught up with and even surpassed regular NBA regular season play. Jan Vesely right now IMO is better than Ian and Jason Smith. He's far more athletic than Gortat.

Jan is exactly what this Wizards team needs at this time.
Bye bye Beal.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#260 » by NatP4 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:06 am

NatP4 wrote:

I think perhaps the level of international play has caught with and even surpassed regular NBA regular season play. Jan Vesely right now IMO is better than Ian and Jason Smith. He's far more athletic than Gortat.

Jan is exactly what this Wizards team needs at this time.

not sure about that. Jan isn't even rebounding in the euroleague right now. I didn't follow the team closely enough when Jan was a wizard to know much about his development or lack thereof.

Return to Washington Wizards