And1: 19,354

Re: Sato at PG 

Post#581 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:26 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He can't play 48 minutes.

It's tough start him and still have him handle all of the backup guard minutes.

Frankly, if we're going to start him, we should start him at PG in place of Wall. Ariza and Porter are fine at forward.

Why does it matter if he starts? What's most significant is how many minutes he gets.

He got 21 minutes vs. Atlanta & 22 minutes vs. Houston. That's idiotic.

Agreed. I will say that it's rather difficult for a non-starter to get much more than 28-30 minutes, but there's no reason why he shouldn't be playing at least that much.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#582 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:28 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:I had thought that Sato would be an unrestricted free agent this year because he wasn't signed as part of a normal rookie scale contract, but it turns out that his contract is structured similarly. This summer, he will be a restricted free agent with a qualifying offer of $3.9M. As long as we extend that offer, we will have the right to match any contract offer just like we would for any normal RFA coming off a rookie contract.

If we trade Wall, I think it's highly likely we will keep Sato. Sato probably hates it here and wants to go someplace else, but we can match the offer and force him to stay. My guess is that nobody offers him a huge deal because he doesn't score much. I could see someone extending a full MLE offer in the $8M range, but I'd gladly match that.

If we don't trade Wall (or Porter, or Beal, or Mahinmi), it will be hard to keep him, even at $8M. Wall, Porter, Beal, Mahinmi, Howard and Brown alone will cost $116M. Factor $3M for a rookie and $1M for each of 6 vet minimum free agents and we're $125M not counting Sato. The luxtax threshold is $132M

Seems like our ability to get under the tax this year is significant in this: if so, then maybe we can stand being over next year. If not... no way! We'd be repeaters this year & paying an enormous % penalties next year.

One other point: Sato has some leverage most guys in his position don't have, an alternative -- he was a star in Europe & can go back easily.

The other key is that the Wizards can stretch Mahinmi. I didn't like the idea last summer because it would have left us with 5 long years of phantom salary charges to the tune of $6.2M a year. But stretching him this summer would only result in 3 years of phantom salary charges at $5.1M a year.

I don't know if his European leverage will come into play. I expect Sato to get up near the full MLE, around $9M a year. Would he get anywhere near that much in Europe? I honestly don't know what good players get paid over there.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#583 » by dckingsfan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:36 pm

So, calculating salaries in Europe is a bit different, usually the salaries are post-tax (because the team pays the taxes). But if you think of 3M€ post tax then say 6M€ would be a good salary for someone like Sato.

I would say $9M would be out of the range that European teams can pay. I would say $6M would be a stretch...
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#584 » by dckingsfan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:39 pm

nate33 wrote:...Seems like our ability to get under the tax this year is significant in this...

Still wrapping my head around this one - why? If we stay under the tax next year, doesn't that mitigate the payments?

I have us at $130,253,555 and the luxury tax is $123M, right? But next year we are at $116,416,976 and the projected luxury tax line is $129.2. That doesn't give us much leeway unless we trade one of Wall, Beal or Porter right?

Regardless, I think I am with PIF - time to blow this ship out of the water and start over.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#585 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:06 pm

nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Frankly, if we're going to start him, we should start him at PG in place of Wall. Ariza and Porter are fine at forward.
That's a good idea.

Sato, Beal, Porter, Ariza, Bryant would be a SELFLESS team.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#586 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:55 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:...Seems like our ability to get under the tax this year is significant in this...

Still wrapping my head around this one - why? If we stay under the tax next year, doesn't that mitigate the payments?

I have us at $130,253,555 and the luxury tax is $123M, right? But next year we are at $116,416,976 and the projected luxury tax line is $129.2. That doesn't give us much leeway unless we trade one of Wall, Beal or Porter right?

Regardless, I think I am with PIF - time to blow this ship out of the water and start over.

Luxtax this year is $123M. Next year it's $132M. I think PIF's point was to get under the tax this year so that the repeater tax doesn't come into play next year.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#587 » by dckingsfan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:22 am

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Luxtax this year is $123M. Next year it's $132M. I think PIF's point was to get under the tax this year so that the repeater tax doesn't come into play next year.

thanks for the clarification - couldn't we just stay under the cap next year?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#588 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:38 am

dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Still wrapping my head around this one - why? If we stay under the tax next year, doesn't that mitigate the payments?

thanks for the clarification - couldn't we just stay under the cap next year?

Yes, but it'll probably require stretching Mahinmi. If we could get out of the luxtax this year, (perhaps by trading Ariza and Morris for expiring contracts 67% as expensive,) then there would no longer be an urgency to stretch Mahinmi next year. We could just exceed the luxtax by a few million if necessary, and then at least we'd be done with Mahinmi.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#589 » by I_Like_Dirt » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:57 am

That's sort of the point, though, nate. Everything being done largely has an eye on financials. A team struggling for the 8th seed with lots of aging players that won't strip things down is foregoing attempting to improve in favor of financial manoevering for another couple seasons. That's what the Grunfeld treadmill looks like.
Bucket! Bucket!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#590 » by Kanyewest » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:01 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's a good idea.

Sato, Beal, Porter, Ariza, Bryant would be a SELFLESS team.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app

Probably have to trade Wall first.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#591 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:55 pm

wouldn't it be nice if sato started at pg And we bring Wall off the bench? we would be a lot better team, John has one of the biggest egos in the entire nba.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#592 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 2:29 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#593 » by perempe20 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 1:24 pm

he can do many things. the assist was fantastic.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#594 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 3, 2019 1:35 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:wouldn't it be nice if sato started at pg And we bring Wall off the bench? we would be a lot better team, John has one of the biggest egos in the entire nba.

Ok......
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#595 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 4:14 pm

They traded Oubre knowing they probably weren't paying him, and they got Brown on a rookie contract, so what makes us believe they'll pay for Satoransky? Look, I'm all for keeping him. Clearly he's a player but if some team comes up and offers a first round pick for him, I think you bite.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#596 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 4:19 pm

Rafael122 wrote:They traded Oubre knowing they probably weren't paying him, and they got Brown on a rookie contract, so what makes us believe they'll pay for Satoransky? Look, I'm all for keeping him. Clearly he's a player but if some team comes up and offers a first round pick for him, I think you bite.

Satoransky is a RFA.

And you can't field a roster with only Wall/Beal/Otto/Brown/Howard (assuming Mahinmi is stretched).

Sato is a keeper. Any competent front office would keep him. And he is a better basketball player than Oubre.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#597 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 5:33 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:They traded Oubre knowing they probably weren't paying him, and they got Brown on a rookie contract, so what makes us believe they'll pay for Satoransky? Look, I'm all for keeping him. Clearly he's a player but if some team comes up and offers a first round pick for him, I think you bite.

Satoransky is a RFA.

And you can't field a roster with only Wall/Beal/Otto/Brown/Howard (assuming Mahinmi is stretched).

Sato is a keeper. Any competent front office would keep him. And he is a better basketball player than Oubre.

All RFA means is the team can match the offer. Our books are terrible, all it takes is one team to front load or make it a way where his first year salary is like $6 million but then jumps to $15 million. Similar to Tyler Johnson's contract. If Satoransky had the playing time he's had this year his entire tenure here, he probably would have been open to a contract extension. Now I'm not so sure. He's never going to get 30 minutes as long as Wall is here.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#598 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 6:09 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

Satoransky is a RFA.

All RFA means is the team can match the offer. Our books are terrible, all it takes is one team to front load or make it a way where his first year salary is like $6 million but then jumps to $15 million. Similar to Tyler Johnson's contract. If Satoransky had the playing time he's had this year his entire tenure here, he probably would have been open to a contract extension. Now I'm not so sure. He's never going to get 30 minutes as long as Wall is here.

That's making a big assumption. Not as many teams will have cap room after the big wave of FA is over to do that. This won't be a 2016 or 2017 shid show this summer.

And the Wiz should match offers. Sato isn't going to be getting more than the MLE at his ceiling and his floor will be the qualifying offer. Shaun Livingston's contracts of late are what I'd be giving to him.

And with the Wizards lack of wings, he will have minutes at SF which he has embraced this year.
RealGM

Post#599 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 3, 2019 6:39 pm

perempe20 wrote:
he can do many things. the assist was fantastic.

I started this thread with thoughts that Brooks should be playing this guy.

Great to see he finally is.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#600 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 3, 2019 6:45 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I think in reality Satoransky will end up like Pecherov and Vesely. He's going to be frustrated in the NBA and will go back overseas for good.

That from October 17, 2017.

I'm glad that circumstances forced Scott Brooks to start Satoransky. The Wizards will win just as many or more games than if Wall were healthy.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards