Tracking the Eastern Conference

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Re: Tracking the Eastern Conference/Playoffs 

Post#41 » by Shanghai Kid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:16 am

FAH1223 wrote:Damn Wizards should be 2nd in the East at 20-8

I was looking at the schedule, and their best chance to make a run is right now. They are capable of winning 15 of the next 20, which would put them at 30-18 and back on track. In my opinion this next twenty game stretch is going to determine if we're a 50 win team battling for a top 4 seed, or if we're a near .500 team battling for those final 2-3 spots. The schedule gets tough again in February, it's a critical point of the season.

But it involves them actually winning the games they should. Right now they are a toss-up when they play bad teams.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#42 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:27 am

Detroit beats Indy. Chicago somehow beats Milwaukee. The Wizards are somehow tied for 4th in the standings despite a ton of really pathetic losses this year. Only half a game separates 4th place from 8th place, though.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: RE: Re: Tracking the Eastern Conference/Playoffs 

Post#43 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:23 am

nate33 wrote:Detroit beats Indy. Chicago somehow beats Milwaukee. The Wizards are somehow tied for 4th in the standings despite a ton of really pathetic losses this year. Only half a game separates 4th place from 8th place, though.

Right now the NBA.com app shows that the Wizards are tied for fifth in a three-way tie. Three teams have 16 wins and 13 losses.

Technically by virtual percentage points Milwaukee is ahead of those teams with 15 wins and 12 losses.

I see what you mean if you saying they're all three wins ahead of .500.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#44 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:40 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:Detroit beats Indy. Chicago somehow beats Milwaukee. The Wizards are somehow tied for 4th in the standings despite a ton of really pathetic losses this year. Only half a game separates 4th place from 8th place, though.

Right now the NBA.com app shows that the Wizards are tied for fifth in a three-way tie. Three teams have 16 wins and 13 losses.

Technically by virtual percentage points Milwaukee is ahead of those teams with 15 wins and 12 losses.

Yeah, Milwaukee has a better win percentage because 15-12 beats 16-13, but in terms of games behind first place, they're tied. Also, Washington is in strong position to secure home court advantage in the first round no matter what by virtue of winning the Southeast. They just have to stay ahead of Miami.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#45 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:06 pm

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Yeah, Milwaukee has a better win percentage because 15-12 beats 16-13, but in terms of games behind first place, they're tied. Also, Washington is in strong position to secure home court advantage in the first round no matter what by virtue of winning the Southeast. They just have to stay ahead of Miami.

Nate, I haven’t been able to get clarity on your last point. I know a few years back, they eliminated the guaranteed 3 seed for division winners and allowed them to fall no further than 4th.

But I thought they may have further revised that so that division winners are longer guaranteed a top four seed.

Do you know the updated rule and if so could you please share it?
In Rizzo we trust
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#46 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:16 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Right now the NBA.com app shows that the Wizards are tied for fifth in a three-way tie. Three teams have 16 wins and 13 losses.

Nate, I haven’t been able to get clarity on your last point. I know a few years back, they eliminated the guaranteed 3 seed for division winners and allowed them to fall no further than 4th.

But I thought they may have further revised that so that division winners are longer guaranteed a top four seed.

Do you know the updated rule and if so could you please share it?

Oops. My bad. I was going by the pre-2016 system. I forgot that they changed it. Basically, divisions are meaningless now, so nevermind.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,997

Post#47 » by dckingsfan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Indy is the surprise team to me right now. Never guessed that they would be in the playoff hunt. Joseph, Oladipo, Sabonis, Bogs and Collison all shooting at or above .400 :o

If they keep up that kind of 3PT% they will make the playoffs, IMO. But that is a big if...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#48 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:41 pm

Detroit and Milwaukee lost last night. The Wizards are now a full 2.0 games ahead of both teams. Unfortunately, our Daddy, Miami has moved to 5th in the standings and are only 1.5 games behind us. I don't want to face them in the playoffs.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#49 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:45 pm

Speaking of the playoffs, what playoff bracketing among the top 4 teams do you think favors us most? Assume that the top 4 teams in some order are Boston, Toronto, Cleveland and Washington.

I think Boston might have the best shot at defeating Cleveland, so I think I'd prefer Washington versus Toronto while Cleveland plays Boston. On the other hand, I think we match up better against Boston than Toronto, so maybe it's best if we play Boston.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#50 » by mhd » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:52 pm

nate33 wrote:Speaking of the playoffs, what playoff bracketing among the top 4 teams do you think favors us most? Assume that the top 4 teams in some order are Boston, Toronto, Cleveland and Washington.

I think Boston might have the best shot at defeating Cleveland, so I think I'd prefer Washington versus Toronto while Cleveland plays Boston. On the other hand, I think we match up better against Boston than Toronto, so maybe it's best if we play Boston.

No way Cleveland obviously. Toronto & Boston both have their pros and cons.
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#51 » by Shanghai Kid » Sat Jan 6, 2018 4:10 pm

nate33 wrote:Speaking of the playoffs, what playoff bracketing among the top 4 teams do you think favors us most? Assume that the top 4 teams in some order are Boston, Toronto, Cleveland and Washington.

The key thing of course is to avoid Cleveland until the ECF.

Id rather play Boston simply because we would plat with a chip on our shoulder from just recently losing to them last year.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#52 » by nuposse04 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 4:12 pm

Derozan is playing much better basketball this season. He is actually taking and hittings 3s. That and their young wing/bigs are playing some nice defense and hitting timely shots. I believe they will get better as the season continues. Boston I think is still due for some regression, especially Taytum, I just don't see a Rookie shooting like that for an entire season.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#53 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jan 7, 2018 3:41 am

If we play the Bucks in Round 1... we're losing!
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#54 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Jan 7, 2018 4:02 am

FAH1223 wrote:If we play the Bucks in Round 1... we're losing!

It’d be a heck of a series. They match up well.

The biggest challenge is Giannis barreling toward the hoop and getting the LeBron treatment... Doesn’t matter what he does - travel, run over someone - he’s getting the call.
In Rizzo we trust
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#55 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:20 am

Damn Wizards. Wish they beat the Cavs once at home.

This is also the perfect time to be playing CLE.

Wiz and Heat are so close to the 3 seed.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#56 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:07 am

So when Lue is fired, will LeBron just coach the team himself ala Bill Russell in the sixties for the Cs?
RealGM

Post#57 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 pm

nate33 wrote:Detroit and Milwaukee lost last night. The Wizards are now a full 2.0 games ahead of both teams. Unfortunately, our Daddy, Miami has moved to 5th in the standings and are only 1.5 games behind us. I don't want to face them in the playoffs.
Milwaukee owns the Wizards just like Miami does, too.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#58 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 pm

80sballboy wrote:So when Lue is fired, will LeBron just coach the team himself ala Bill Russell in the sixties for the Cs?
Fizdale is my prediction.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#59 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:09 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:If we play the Bucks in Round 1... we're losing!

It’d be a heck of a series. They match up well.

The biggest challenge is Giannis barreling toward the hoop and getting the LeBron treatment... Doesn’t matter what he does - travel, run over someone - he’s getting the call.
Washington must foul Giannis hard. Not in a flagrant foul manner. The Wizards simply have to slow the game down when he's on a tear.

He is going to get the call either way so you may as well rough him up.

They will never do it but I think Chris McCullough would be the best guy to cover Giannis Antetokounmpo. He is quick enough to move his feet on the perimeter and he's long enough to actually bother the guy shot.

The point is to waste some files on an expendable guy.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#60 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:35 pm

I'm stunned that Jason Kidd got fired - even though many of my fellow Bucks fans have been desperately calling for it all season. And of course, the new coach will soon have Parker. Kidd never had Parker and Middleton healthy together the last 2 seasons. And Middleton hasn't played up to his past self - particularly on defense. It's a good opportunity for a new coach to artificially look good, imo. What they really need to do is get a decent GM. They've made a lot of bad moves the last 2 years.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards