Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Re: Political Roundtable Part XVI 

Post#1441 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:58 am

Pointgod wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:
DCZards wrote:Two people were on the Republican ballot tonight--Roy Moore and Donald Trump. I'm so proud of the Alabama voters, especially my African-American brothers and sisters, who turned out and voted for decency and against the divisiveness and racial, sexual and religious bigotry represented by Moore and Trump. It's a great win for the Democratic Party and the country.

oh gawd. just stop with the over reach. this was a flawed candidate and trump supported Luther strange in the primary.

You should listen to the full tape that Charles barkley said to Don lemmon tonight. I'll try to find it and post. Same thing ive been saying for 200 pages.

Trump full throatedly supported Moore and so did Steve Bannon. I think 48% of voters in Alabama disapproved of Trump. In Alabama! That says something about the mood in Alabama.

aaaaaand there was that one thing. cant recall it right now... pseudo...Pedo...something or another. you know. that thing!! It was on CNN 24/7 for 3 weeks straight?!! That thing!!
like i said, its a full rebuild.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1442 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:31 am

Read on Twitter
?s=17

Read on Twitter
?s=17
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1443 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=17

Read on Twitter
?s=17
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1444 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=17
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#1445 » by cammac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Yes Roy Moore was a flawed candidate and Doug Jones was the right man to defeat him even though he didn't back down from his liberal credentials. The heroes were the black women and men who stood up and went out to vote. Yes this shows how important it is to fight voter suppression and to allow felons after they have served time to vote. Thanks to the white vote as well today it is Alabama tomorrow Arizona, Nevada, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas all can flip in 2018. Strong candidates ground games hold heads high. Every vote does matter.

"Does this hold true in areas where we aren’t a significant demographic group— of course not. Ignoring where we are is just plain damned stupid and bad politics.

Time for Democrats of all colors to support organizations fighting for voting rights and against gerrymandering."

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/12/13/1723875/-Dear-Democrats-Time-to-wake-up-and-smell-the-black-coffee-We-remember

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/12/13/1723774/-Reactions-to-the-People-s-Victory-in-Alabama
cammac
General Manager

Post#1446 » by cammac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm

The thing I can never understand is that in a country that "politicians of all stripes hail as the greatest DEMOCRACY on earth" is so embedded in voter suppression and gerrymandering? Most countries try to get as high a turnout as possible and in Australia voting is compulsory.

The Supreme Court can go a long way in stopping this devious practice but will they? Judge Roy Moore believes that every part of the constitution past the tenth is false and even the other ten are subject to his interpretation. Getting Supreme Court Judges with a political agenda is a miscarriage of justice. Judges should respect the constitution but it should also be viewed as a living document that needs to reflect the times not the past. Society is different from the founding fathers and its different now than 20 years ago.

Sorry just a Canadian rant since in Canada we got a new chief justice and I'm proud of our Supreme Court that is a bastion supporting Democracy in our country.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1447 » by DCZards » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Pointgod wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:
DCZards wrote:Two people were on the Republican ballot tonight--Roy Moore and Donald Trump. I'm so proud of the Alabama voters, especially my African-American brothers and sisters, who turned out and voted for decency and against the divisiveness and racial, sexual and religious bigotry represented by Moore and Trump. It's a great win for the Democratic Party and the country.

oh gawd. just stop with the over reach. this was a flawed candidate and trump supported Luther strange in the primary.

You should listen to the full tape that Charles barkley said to Don lemmon tonight. I'll try to find it and post. Same thing ive been saying for 200 pages.

Trump full throatedly supported Moore and so did Steve Bannon. I think 48% of voters in Alabama disapproved of Trump. In Alabama! That says something about the mood in Alabama.

What SD20 refuses to understand/accept is that the vote in Alabama, as well as that in Virginia, was a referendum on both the Republicans on the ballot and the hugely unpopular man in the White House. #45's unpopularity will continue to drive people, especially women and minorities, to the polls.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1448 » by TGW » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:44 pm

I was having a conversation with a Trump supporting co-worker regarding last night's election and Trump in general, and after having that convo with her, I really believe a Trump presidency is good for Democrats. Impeachment would actually be a very bad thing IMO. If Trump is impeached, and Pence becomes president, that would that be worse than a Trump presidency by a country mile. Pence is a refined Trump. The establishment Republicans love that guy. He would push Trump's agenda much more smoothly than Trump ever could.

So yes I said it...I don't want impeachment.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
cammac
General Manager

Post#1449 » by cammac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:55 pm

TGW wrote:I was having a conversation with a Trump supporting co-worker regarding last night's election and Trump in general, and after having that convo with her, I really believe a Trump presidency is good for Democrats. Impeachment would actually be a very bad thing IMO. If Trump is impeached, and Pence becomes president, that would that be worse than a Trump presidency by a country mile. Pence is a refined Trump. The establishment Republicans love that guy. He would push Trump's agenda much more smoothly than Trump ever could.

I totally agree with you! All the special elections this year have shown the distancing of Trump from the populous in general. Yes earlier in the cycle Democrats didn't pick up seats but for the most part severely eroded Republican numbers. The elections in NJ & Virginia at State level and other elections are showing a ground swell for Democrats capped by the unexpected victory by Doug Jones. Mr Bobble Head is more dangerous than Trump and more extreme even if the Democrats win the house and senate in the midterms it is better to keep Trump around hanging him on his own canard. After he loses in 2020 lock him up!!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#1450 » by dckingsfan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Pointgod wrote:
TGW wrote:African Americans won that vote for Jones. Hopefully, he returns the favor and helps the poor in that state. Apparently, the predominantly minority areas in that state have a terrible sewage problem.

You mean Jones but yes the Democratic Party needs to put some skin in the game when it comes to African Americans.

This is a state level vs. federal level issue, no? Jones shouldn't be held to improve infrastructure at the local level. If he is held to that standard, he has already lost.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1451 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Read on Twitter
DCZards
RealGM

Post#1452 » by DCZards » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:25 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
TGW wrote:African Americans won that vote for Jones. Hopefully, he returns the favor and helps the poor in that state. Apparently, the predominantly minority areas in that state have a terrible sewage problem.

You mean Jones but yes the Democratic Party needs to put some skin in the game when it comes to African Americans.

This is a state level vs. federal level issue, no? Jones shouldn't be held to improve infrastructure at the local level. If he is held to that standard, he has already lost.

The Senator's job includes advocating for federal funding to address the needs of his/her state? So, assuming there's a federal infrastructure bill as has been proposed, then, yes, Jones should be trying to get federal money to help address the sewage problem.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#1453 » by DCZards » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:36 pm

TGW wrote:I was having a conversation with a Trump supporting co-worker regarding last night's election and Trump in general, and after having that convo with her, I really believe a Trump presidency is good for Democrats. Impeachment would actually be a very bad thing IMO. If Trump is impeached, and Pence becomes president, that would that be worse than a Trump presidency by a country mile. Pence is a refined Trump. The establishment Republicans love that guy. He would push Trump's agenda much more smoothly than Trump ever could.

I agree. Pence is far more polished and would almost certainly be harder to beat in 2020 than Trump. Pence would not make the knucklehead mistakes that #45 constantly makes due to his arrogance and inexperience. I'm happy having Trump around so that he can remain the scorn of a wide spectrum of voters.

I also don't think the Dems in Congress want to see Trump impeached. They know #45 is the best get-out-the-vote tool available to them. I think those backing the Russian collusion investigation just want to prove that Trump is an illegitimately elected president.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#1454 » by dckingsfan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:59 pm

DCZards wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
Pointgod wrote:You mean Jones but yes the Democratic Party needs to put some skin in the game when it comes to African Americans.

The Senator's job includes advocating for federal funding to address the needs of his/her state? So, assuming there's a federal infrastructure bill as has been proposed, then, yes, Jones should be trying to get federal money to help address the sewage problem.

Hey Zards, I might be misunderstanding what you are saying. Infrastructure projects (sewage/water) are at a local level, not even a state level. The state might do a block grant to the local level and the fed might do a block grant to the state level.

If Jones is held to fixing the sewage problems - he isn't going to get re-elected. Just saying.
cammac
General Manager

Post#1455 » by cammac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:33 pm

With all the hate in politics there is the good guys as well worth watching!
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/12/13/1724032/-Joe-Biden-comforts-Meghan-McCain-in-moving-The-View-segment
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#1456 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:43 pm

DCZards wrote:

I agree. Pence is far more polished and would almost certainly be harder to beat in 2020 than Trump. Pence would not make the knucklehead mistakes that #45 constantly makes due to his arrogance and inexperience. I'm happy having Trump around so that he can remain the scorn of a wide spectrum of voters.

I also don't think the Dems in Congress want to see Trump impeached. They know #45 is the best get-out-the-vote tool available to them. I think those backing the Russian collusion investigation just want to prove that Trump is an illegitimately elected president.

Mike Pence is a hard core conservative. and a self-righteous religious right zealot. He is basically the devil.

This wont end up well for the american people. Nothing will get done except tax cuts for the uber wealthy and ancient conservative values become the law of the land again. and without the surge in the stock market. without jobs growth. and without GDP at 4%. and without historic lows in unemployment. Those are the things trump's optimism and tough negotiating brings and I was willing to put up with tax breaks for the uber wealthy and some conservative values to permeate our judicial system as they came with the Mike Pence vice presidency. And Pence was needed to win those ultra conservative states.

Ive been saying this for 200 pages. This witch hunt against trump is not in the best interest of the american people.
cammac
General Manager

Post#1457 » by cammac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:58 pm

TRUMP is cratering and so is the Republican Party
https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_US_121317/

Monmouth is one of the few A list polling providers
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#1458 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 pm

DCZards wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:

What SD20 refuses to understand/accept is that the vote in Alabama, as well as that in Virginia, was a referendum on both the Republicans on the ballot and the hugely unpopular man in the White House. #45's unpopularity will continue to drive people, especially women and minorities, to the polls.

Its trump and solely trump alone that has brought back manufacturing jobs, jobs in general, multiple new factories, re-investment in old factories, controlled immigration, which have all combined to approaching historic lows in unemployment and has wages rising sharply. In short, women and minorities are thriving under trump in a way that they never have thrived under any other president. women and minorities are kicking azz and taking names right now. kicking effing azz!!

The whole thing will unravel if trump is impeached. I guarantee we will end up staring down the barrel of the stock market dipping below 20K and unemployment going back up around and perhaps over 5%. Women wont suffer cuz they dont have the labor jobs. Laborers will suffer though, so minorities will suffer as will poor white people.

Look, it's real simple. Let trump be trump and everyone benefits. Everyone.

I dont understand this thing where everyone wants to pretend that the president has to be a moral compass While at the same time the president is charged with mercilessly killing anyone and any country that even threatens out democracy. its a dirty job folks. Let trump be trump. the economy is(WAS!!) thriving with trump being trump. You cut off his balls and you wont like the results in your 401K, property values, or the jobs market.
cammac
General Manager

Post#1459 » by cammac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:13 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:
DCZards wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Its trump and solely trump alone that has brought back manufacturing jobs, jobs in general, multiple new factories, re-investment in old factories, controlled immigration, which have all combined to approaching historic lows in unemployment and has wages rising sharply. In short, women and minorities are thriving under trump in a way that they never have thrived under any other president. women and minorities are kicking azz and taking names right now. kicking effing azz!!

The whole thing will unravel if trump is impeached. I guarantee we will end up staring down the barrel of the stock market dipping below 20K and unemployment going back up around and perhaps over 5%. Women wont suffer cuz they dont have the labor jobs. Laborers will suffer though, so minorities will suffer as will poor white people.

I dont understand this thing where everyone wants to pretend that the president has to be a moral compass While at the same time the president is charged with mercilessly killing anyone and any country that even threatens out democracy. its a dirty job folks. Let trump be trump. the economy is(WAS!!) thriving with trump being trump. You cut off his balls and you wont like the results in your 401K, property values, or the jobs market.

Sure Trump is saving jobs.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-29/remember-when-trump-said-he-saved-1-100-jobs-at-a-carrier-plant
Give me real examples
DCZards
RealGM

Post#1460 » by DCZards » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:53 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:

Total agreement. Women and minorities are indeed the ones responsible for kicking Moore's and Trump's azzes last night in Alabama.

Yes, let Trump be Trump and everyone will benefit because Repubs will get their azzes kicked in 2018 and Trump will get his kicked in 2020.

Return to Washington Wizards