ImageImageImageImageImage

Scott Brooks is bad

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,322

Re: Scott Brooks is bad 

Post#161 » by NatP4 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Maybe the title should be Scott Brooks is not quite as bad as we thought???

Is it too early?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app

I just finished watching the clippers game that I missed, looks like Brooks threw out the god awful Jason Smith at PF next to Gortat lineup and it got torched at the end of the half and blew a double digit lead.

then after Sato already had a great first stint at backup PG early in the game(creating that double digit lead) brooks sabotaged the rotation in order to get his first born child Tim Frazier minutes at backup PG, moving Sato to the wing, that lineup once again got torched and lost the lead.

I would've been raging in the game thread at those horrible personnel decisions that almost costed them the game against an awful tanking team.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#162 » by payitforward » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 pm

NatP4 wrote:I just finished watching the clippers game that I missed, looks like Brooks threw out the god awful Jason Smith at PF next to Gortat lineup and it got torched at the end of the half and blew a double digit lead.

then after Sato already had a great first stint at backup PG early in the game(creating that double digit lead) brooks sabotaged the rotation in order to get his first born child Tim Frazier minutes at backup PG, moving Sato to the wing, that lineup once again got torched and lost the lead.

I would've been raging in the game thread at those horrible personnel decisions that almost costed them the game against an awful tanking team.

Raging, huh? For how long?

In the entire game, the entire game, Tim Frazier played 3 minutes -- that's it.

In the entire game, the entire game, Jason Smith played 5 minutes -- that's it.

Did you watch that game with your eyes open or closed, Nat?

Did you notice that after playing 3 minutes to start the game, Otto Porter came out & never returned. Do you think there was a reason for that? Or did Brooks just forget he was on the team? Do you recall that Markieff Morris is on a minutes restriction?

So... do tell -- who was going to take the rest of the minutes at the 3 & 4?

Now, Oubre played 34 minutes. Beal played 37 minutes, & Scott played 24 minutes (i.e. more than usual) -- so lets assume you don't get to add to their minutes.

Can't wait to hear what insights you bring to bear on this.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM

Post#163 » by NatP4 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 am

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I just finished watching the clippers game that I missed, looks like Brooks threw out the god awful Jason Smith at PF next to Gortat lineup and it got torched at the end of the half and blew a double digit lead.

Raging, huh? For how long?

In the entire game, the entire game, Tim Frazier played 3 minutes -- that's it.

In the entire game, the entire game, Jason Smith played 5 minutes -- that's it.

Did you watch that game with your eyes open or closed, Nat?

Did you notice that after playing 3 minutes to start the game, Otto Porter came out & never returned. Do you think there was a reason for that? Or did Brooks just forget he was on the team? Do you recall that Markieff Morris is on a minutes restriction?

So... do tell -- who was going to take the rest of the minutes at the 3 & 4?

Now, Oubre played 34 minutes. Beal played 37 minutes, & Scott played 24 minutes (i.e. more than usual) -- so lets assume you don't get to add to their minutes.

Can't wait to hear what insights you bring to bear on this.

Smith was -9 in 5 minutes, Frazier was -6 in 3 minutes.

Playing players out of position for any stretch can tank a game.

But of course, you give him a pass for everything
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#164 » by gtn130 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Bump

Lol Scott Brooks
NatP4
RealGM

Post#165 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:49 pm

Satoransky just said in an interview that he considered going back to Europe last season when he wasn’t getting playing time.

Scott “Mr. player development” Brooks
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#166 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:17 pm

NatP4 wrote:Satoransky just said in an interview that he considered going back to Europe last season when he wasn’t getting playing time.

Scott “Mr. player development” Brooks

That's old news, and Sato stunk last season. He's developed or at least learned the NBA game this season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gtn130
Analyst

Post#167 » by gtn130 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:00 pm

The way this team plays up and down to its competition is a testament to coaching. If things came easier and the offensive system generated open looks, the Wizards would be able to beat inferior teams without max effort and max focus every night.

The idea that the Wizards as a team lack character or drive is laughable - it's coaching.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#168 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 pm

gtn130 wrote:The way this team plays up and down to its competition is a testament to coaching. If things came easier and the offensive system generated open looks, the Wizards would be able to beat inferior teams without max effort and max focus every night.

The idea that the Wizards as a team lack character or drive is laughable - it's coaching.

It’s also character. This same core quit on Randy Wittman for no reasaon. He was a better coach than Brooks. Morris and Wall hardly ever give 48 minutes of great effort.
ClutchDJ
Senior
And1: 252

Post#169 » by ClutchDJ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 pm

NatP4 wrote:
gtn130 wrote:The way this team plays up and down to its competition is a testament to coaching. If things came easier and the offensive system generated open looks, the Wizards would be able to beat inferior teams without max effort and max focus every night.

It’s also character. This same core quit on Randy Wittman for no reasaon. He was a better coach than Brooks. Morris and Wall hardly ever give 48 minutes of great effort.

Based off....?
NatP4
RealGM

Post#170 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 pm

ClutchDJ wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Based off....?

Maybe not significantly better, but if you gave Randy this roster, they are probably the top seed in the east. Brooks has been awful. Wittman never had a competent backup big or backup PG besides half a season of Andre Miller. He also had bad Bradley Beal and not so great John Wall. Never had an improved Kelly Oubre
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: RE: Scott Brooks is bad 

Post#171 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:14 pm

gtn130 wrote:At what point do we acknowledge that Scott Brooks isn't a good coach? He's making the same tactical mistakes he made back with OKC, and after a year off reflecting on his time there, he changed basically nothing. He hasn't adapted to the modern NBA in any meaningful way, and at this stage it seems like he's just not a very sharp dude.

Obviously the Wizards will continue to win because they have a talented roster, but let's stop giving Brooks tons of credit here. Any replacement level coach is getting the same production or more out of this roster.

Some obvious Brooks issues:

-The all-bench unit has a Net Rating of -13.8 today.
-Brooks basically refuses to stagger Wall and Beal to mitigate this. The bench is very bad from a personnel standpoint. Playing them together, all at once is a great way of exacerbating this issue!
-Wizards are 5th in the league in mid-range attempts. They readily take a lot of bad shots.
-Brooks' ATO plays are literal garbage. How many times has he called for a Morris or Gortat postup after a timeout?
-The Wizards will do things like light possessions on fire by giving Ian Mahinmi a postup. Why? It's 2017. Smart teams don't do stuff like that.

What is the actual argument that Brooks is a better than replacement level coach? He was fortunate enough to coach KD, Russ, Harden, Ibaka, Wall, Beal and Porter, and he has turned that into one finals appearance in which he gave Kendrick Perkins huge minutes and had James Harden guard LeBron.

The claim that Brooks is responsible for the positive development of all those player is, uhhh, specious, if we're being charitable.
What you posted two months ago is still very relevant.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Scott Brooks is bad 

Post#172 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 pm

NatP4 wrote:
ClutchDJ wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Based off....?

Maybe not significantly better, but if you gave Randy this roster, they are probably the top seed in the east. Brooks has been awful.
This team would have four more wins at least with Randy Wittman coaching this roster. They might have six or seven more wins.

Bye bye Beal.
ClutchDJ
Senior
And1: 252

Post#173 » by ClutchDJ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
ClutchDJ wrote:Based off....?

Maybe not significantly better, but if you gave Randy this roster, they are probably the top seed in the east. Brooks has been awful.
This team would have four more wins at least with Randy Wittman coaching this roster. They might have six or seven more wins.

I don’t know, I doubt Beal has the season he did last season. Not sure if Oubre gets much better either. Brooks is a typical blah Xs & Os coach just like a majority of the league, but he is known for the growing of players.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#174 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 pm

ClutchDJ wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

I don’t know, I doubt Beal has the season he did last season. Not sure if Oubre gets much better either. Brooks is a typical blah Xs & Os coach just like a majority of the league, but he is known for the growing of players.

Yes, he is a bad coach that is made to look decent by inheriting talented core players.
gtn130
Analyst

Post#175 » by gtn130 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#176 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 pm

NatP4 wrote:
ClutchDJ wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Based off....?

Maybe not significantly better, but if you gave Randy this roster, they are probably the top seed in the east. Brooks has been awful. Wittman never had a competent backup big or backup PG besides half a season of Andre Miller. He also had bad Bradley Beal and not so great John Wall. Never had an improved Kelly Oubre

Sessions was solid with Washington. In 2014, the Wizards had Booker off the bench. In 2015-16, Nene came off the bench (and appears to be doing even better in that role with the Rockets). I would also point out that Wittman had quality backup point guards in Livingston and Mack and didn't know how to use them and as a result, Grunfeld waived them and proceeded to have better careers elsewhere.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#177 » by NatP4 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Dantonio would have this team in the exact same position as the rockets. Atleast first take finally gets that brooks is a terrible coach.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#178 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:14 pm

NatP4 wrote:Dantonio would have this team in the exact same position as the rockets. Atleast first take finally gets that brooks is a terrible coach.

The D'Antonio idea is a stretch to say the least.

I don't disagree about Brooks. Bad in game coach and does seem to be losing the locker room.
In Rizzo we trust
gtn130
Analyst

Post#179 » by gtn130 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Dantonio would have this team in the exact same position as the rockets. Atleast first take finally gets that brooks is a terrible coach.

I don't disagree about Brooks. Bad in game coach and does seem to be losing the locker room.

The only coherent defense of Brooks is that he gets 100% full credit for Beal and Porter improving and Oubre developing. It's not a strong argument.
RealGM

Post#180 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:42 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

The next few games before the All-Star break are going to be very interesting.

If Brooks has lost the locker room for good the team is going to show it at OKC in a couple days.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards