ImageImageImageImageImage

Scott Brooks is bad

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Re: Scott Brooks is bad 

Post#201 » by DCZards » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:11 am

NatP4 wrote:Anyone see that the team is literally selling shirts that say “john&brad&otto&keef&dwight” on the fronts.

I’m not watching a single game if that’s the starting 5

You might want to be prepared to not watch the Zards. Because that’s your starting five…at least it will likely be at the outset of the season.

I’m guessing you prefer to see “Kelly” instead of “Keef.” Well, Oubre didn’t exactly make a strong case to be a starter with his mediocre play in the last couple of months of last season.

At the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter a lot who starts. What matters most is minutes. Having a glass eater like Howard at the 5 will give the Zards more flexibility to have Oubre and Porter on the court at the same time holding down the forward spots. So I’m pretty sure we’ll see more small ball this season.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#202 » by NatP4 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm

DCZards wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Anyone see that the team is literally selling shirts that say “john&brad&otto&keef&dwight” on the fronts.

You might want to be prepared to not watch the Zards. Because that’s your starting five…at least it will likely be at the outset of the season.

I’m guessing you prefer to see “Kelly” instead of “Keef.” Well, Oubre didn’t exactly make a strong case to be a starter with his mediocre play in the last couple of months of last season.

At the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter a lot who starts. What matters most is minutes. Having a glass eater like Howard at the 5 will give the Zards more flexibility to have Oubre and Porter on the court at the same time holding down the forward spots. So I’m pretty sure we’ll see more small ball this season.

I hope you’re right. I’m sure people will rationalize whatever dumb **** Brooks does
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#203 » by montestewart » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Based purely on numbers, a Morris/Porter frontcourt only rebounds marginally better than a Porter/Oubre frontcourt, and Oubre with either Porter or Morris looks about the same. Not sure how much Howard will change that.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,004

Post#204 » by dckingsfan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:55 pm

montestewart wrote:Based purely on numbers, a Morris/Porter frontcourt only rebounds marginally better than a Porter/Oubre frontcourt, and Oubre with either Porter or Morris looks about the same. Not sure how much Howard will change that.

That is a terrific question/speculation. I think Howard would give us the opportunity to try a bunch of smaller units: line the implied Wall/Beal/Oubre/Porter/Howard unit. I guess there are many derivatives of that with Sato/Rivers/Brown behind them.

I would ask a second question: Would a Morris/Porter/Oubre rotation be better than an Mahimni/Morris/Porter rotation.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,004

Post#205 » by dckingsfan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:00 pm

DCZards wrote:

And isn't that where Brooks routinely screws up? Last season he overplayed Beal badly (and Wall at the beginning of the season). He underplayed Sato. And Sato got the 3rd most minutes on the team despite his mediocre play .

But like you - I am hoping for more small ball :D
NatP4
RealGM

Post#206 » by NatP4 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:59 pm

No, remember, lineups don’t matter lol. Playing Brandon Jennings at 2 guard next to John wall in the playoffs doesn’t matter. Playing Morris and Scott together in the playoffs, doesn’t matter. Playing Oubre with scrubs in the 2nd unit and playing big all the time doesn’t matter. Stats also don’t matter.

Playing Jason f’ing Smith at PF despite the fact that the lineup was -15 net, once again, doesn’t matter.

Wall 34 Sato 14
Beal 34 Sato 14
Oubre 32 Brown Jr. 20 Porter 4
Porter 26 Green 12 Oubre 6
Howard 28 Mahinmi 16 Porter 4

Launch into space: Morris, Rivers, Smith, Meeks, anyone else besides Thomas Bryant (keep him)

I don’t know if it could be any more simple.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,353

Post#207 » by doclinkin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:14 am

dckingsfan wrote:
montestewart wrote:Based purely on numbers, a Morris/Porter frontcourt only rebounds marginally better than a Porter/Oubre frontcourt, and Oubre with either Porter or Morris looks about the same. Not sure how much Howard will change that.

That is a terrific question/speculation. I think Howard would give us the opportunity to try a bunch of smaller units: like the implied Wall/Beal/Oubre/Porter/Howard unit. I guess there are many derivatives of that with Sato/Rivers/Brown behind them.

I would ask a second question: Would a Morris/Porter/Oubre rotation be better than an Mahimni/Morris/Porter rotation.

Howard in the center with shooters out (Otto, Oubre, Brad) and John running point is intriguing to me. Sub Sato for John and I'm still happy. Yes having a true athletic mismatch at the Center is significant. Gortat was a really solid team player, setting screens and blocking out, but leaving him alone underneath was never a winning mismatch in our favor. Against all but a handful of true bigs Dwight will be that. Especially collecting boards. This is a player who had a 30/30 game last season.

Where Porter/Oubre works better than Porter/Keef is that you can stick Howard on an island underneath. He needs space to work, teams know to double down on him when he has the ball, he won't pass out, tries to do too much, doesnt react quick enough and has no low post skill moves other than his athleticism and beef. But that he does have, more than any other player in the league. With room to operate he will go up over and through any one on one match up.

Keef doesn't have the range to stretch that offense out. His man can collapse to help and still recover in time if Keef gets the ball. But Oubre and Otto at the wings mean there is not only enough room for Howard to operate, but room for Otto to princeton cut and get sneaky points. Room for Oubre to sky in and out jump his match up. And on defense we have the long rangy switch-everything box and one style with a shotblocking safety net behind them. Only Brad is at average size for his position then. And he rebounds well and intelligently if the other team goes small ball and risks long bounces.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#208 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Keiff's actually shot .362 and .367 from3 the last 2 seasons - compared to .287 and .341 for Oubre. Neither is particularly dependable. One hope the Wiz have given us is they say Keiff played hurt most of last season and should be in better shape this season. They do need to figure out what caused Oubre to fall off a cliff in the 2nd half of last season and determine how to avoid that this season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM

Post#209 » by NatP4 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:47 pm

there it is again, citing Keef's 3pt% vs Oubre's. Still total nonsense. This is not an accurate representation of true floor spacing whatsoever and all it takes is watching a couple wizards games to realize this. Spacing isn't even all about 3pt%, the floor can be spaced out with the added threat of attacking off the dribble and added athleticism. Don't let the numbers fool you, Oubre is a much better 3pt shooter than Morris and it's obvious.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#210 » by NatP4 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:00 pm

what % of Keef's attempts are WIDE OPEN?

which one of Oubre and Keef plays with the starters instead of a god awful 2nd unit?

and the truth is that the real difference in playing Oubre over Morris is DEFENSE, the Oubre lineup posted a 95.7 D rating compared to just 104.2 for the Morris lineup. The Oubre lineup also posted a higher oreb% dreb% and obviously overall reb%. They played at a ridiculous 104.24 PACE compared to just 98.71 with the Morris lineup.

so yeah, the Oubre lineup was +14.4 net compared to the Morris lineup which was +6.0. The starters with sato in place of Wall was +8.5 and -5.8 with Tim Frazier in place of Wall. Remember how long it took Brooks to figure that one out? and he never really did to be honest.

this is all just the 2017-2018 season, the 2016-2017 numbers are more ridiculous. The oubre lineup that year was +17.4 (holy ****) and played at a >100 PACE and posted a >60 TS% and >60 PIE.

the evidence is undeniable. play the 22 year old core player, forget the scrub in the final year of his contract. The majority of this board thinks its all on Ernie, the coach gets about 60% of the total production he COULD get out of this roster.

Rivers will play over Sato

Morris and Green will split time at the 4 and maybe even play together at the 4 and 5 over playing small

Brown Jr. will not play at all when he clearly should.

the wizards will win 40-45 games and get bounced in round 1 again.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#211 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Nat makes a bunch of good points. I hope to h#ll you're wrong about the playing time predictions for Rivers vs. Sato & Morris/Green over making time for Oubre.

Now, let it be said that Oubre was 3d highest in minutes last year. Even had Wall been healthy, Oubre would have been 4th. He played 2231 minutes. His minutes should go up if anything. But, he did play a lot.

Morris/Scott combined for almost 3400 minutes last year; that was our single biggest problem outside of Wall being injured. If Morris/Green combine for that many this year, it will be a problem for us.

But, the bigger problem will come from Rivers if he takes minutes from Sato or gets in the way of increasing Sato's minutes.

In short, more minutes from Sato & fewer from Rivers plus a few more minutes for Oubre & Porter with fewer minutes from Kieff/Green are key to a good season (along w/ no injuries, of course).

I do hope Brown develops quickly, but there's no way to know anything about that or about how much he should play. Actually, at this point there are no "should play" minutes for him -- beyond the fact that of course you want to get him some PT for experience/development.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#212 » by nate33 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:42 pm

payitforward wrote:Nat makes a bunch of good points. I hope to h#ll you're wrong about the playing time predictions for Rivers vs. Sato & Morris/Green over making time for Oubre.

Now, let it be said that Oubre was 3d highest in minutes last year. Even had Wall been healthy, Oubre would have been 4th. He played 2231 minutes. His minutes should go up if anything. But, he did play a lot.

This is a key point.

It would be nice to play Oubre and Porter together a lot, but the more they play together, the more NEITHER are on the floor when the bench plays. Oubre did average more minutes per game and more total minutes than Morris last year. It's not like he's collecting mothballs on the bench.

I maintain that Porter played as many minutes as he could handle last year given his durability concerns. Oubre can probably boost his minutes total from 27.5 to about 32, and that would be great; but let's not act like it will make THAT much more of a difference. Overall, I don't have too much of a beef with how Brooks has handled the forward rotation. It's his misuse of Sato that's really infuriating.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#213 » by NatP4 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Come on now, I was specifically arguing the importance of lineups and usage vs minute totals. We’ve all seen how awful Oubre can be playing with Tim Frazier or Trey Burke. Get him in those switch everything lineups with spacing, different player.

But yeah PIF, I’m playing TBJR regardless, because he’s our 18 year old 1st round pick rookie. Why not? Give him PT, we know what Austin Rivers is (terrible at basketball). Let him develop on the fly. I think he can help us defensively right away though.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#214 » by NatP4 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:06 pm

And that is based on my watching him in summer league for 5-6 games lol.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#215 » by youngWizzy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:52 pm

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#216 » by trast66 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:42 pm

What record gets him fired 0-4, 1-7, 3-10? Or is he untouchable?

This is not wishful thinking, I want us to win.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#217 » by closg00 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:44 pm

trast66 wrote:What record gets him fired 0-4, 1-7, 3-10? Or is he untouchable?

He will definitely get fired this season if we flounder around like last season and Ernie will be fully protected.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#218 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:52 pm

trast66 wrote:What record gets him fired 0-4, 1-7, 3-10? Or is he untouchable?

He is only 3 years into a 5 year contract. I think he is untouchable. Midseason next year would be the earliest he would conceivably be fired.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#219 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:01 pm

NatP4 wrote:what % of Keef's attempts are WIDE OPEN?

which one of Oubre and Keef plays with the starters instead of a god awful 2nd unit?

and the truth is that the real difference in playing Oubre over Morris is DEFENSE, the Oubre lineup posted a 95.7 D rating compared to just 104.2 for the Morris lineup. The Oubre lineup also posted a higher oreb% dreb% and obviously overall reb%. They played at a ridiculous 104.24 PACE compared to just 98.71 with the Morris lineup.

so yeah, the Oubre lineup was +14.4 net compared to the Morris lineup which was +6.0. The starters with sato in place of Wall was +8.5 and -5.8 with Tim Frazier in place of Wall. Remember how long it took Brooks to figure that one out? and he never really did to be honest.

this is all just the 2017-2018 season, the 2016-2017 numbers are more ridiculous. The oubre lineup that year was +17.4 (holy ****) and played at a >100 PACE and posted a >60 TS% and >60 PIE.

the evidence is undeniable. play the 22 year old core player, forget the scrub in the final year of his contract. The majority of this board thinks its all on Ernie, the coach gets about 60% of the total production he COULD get out of this roster.

Rivers will play over Sato

Morris and Green will split time at the 4 and maybe even play together at the 4 and 5 over playing small

Brown Jr. will not play at all when he clearly should.

the wizards will win 40-45 games and get bounced in round 1 again.
From a month ago.

Brooks is a bad coach.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#220 » by Dark Faze » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:30 pm

It'd be fine if he was just bad, but he's absolutely killing us nightly now with his rotations.

Return to Washington Wizards