ImageImageImageImageImage

Otto Porter - Part 3

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Coach76
Freshman
And1: 51

Re: Otto Porter - Part 3 

Post#61 » by Coach76 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:00 pm

Do you think Otto's recent slump is mainly a health issue, lack of aggressiveness, or the selfishness of Wall and Beal?

https://www.fanragsports.com/fair-taking-shots-at-otto-porters-lack-of-shots-for-wizards/
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#62 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Primarily, I believe its health/lack of aggressiveness.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#63 » by gravytrain24 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 am

Coach76 wrote:Do you think Otto's recent slump is mainly a health issue, lack of aggressiveness, or the selfishness of Wall and Beal?

https://www.fanragsports.com/fair-taking-shots-at-otto-porters-lack-of-shots-for-wizards/

I think it's all three. I believe that he rushed back because of Oubre's development and feared of loosing minutes and maybe his starting role. He plays with the second unit sometimes but doesn't take control, which wall and beal see and if it's them or the coaches in the 4th they don't feel comfortable having him create unless it's a wide open jumper.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#64 » by DCZards » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 am

gravytrain24 wrote:
Coach76 wrote:Do you think Otto's recent slump is mainly a health issue, lack of aggressiveness, or the selfishness of Wall and Beal?

I think it's all three. I believe that he rushed back because of Oubre's development and feared of loosing minutes and maybe his starting role. He plays with the second unit sometimes but doesn't take control, which wall and beal see and if it's them or the coaches in the 4th they don't feel comfortable having him create unless it's a wide open jumper.

I also believe it's all three to some degree but I'd also add a fourth--Otto's limited offensive game. OP desperately needs to improve and diversify his offensive skillset. He particularly needs to get better (and stronger) at handling the ball, and putting it on the floor to take people off the dribble. That's a glaring weakness in Otto's game, imo.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#65 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:10 am

Otto should work with Drew Hanlen

I’m still surprised by how well Beal has developed with his dribble and moves
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#66 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:09 am

FAH1223 wrote:Otto should work with Drew Hanlen

I’m still surprised by how well Beal has developed with his dribble and moves

Even Kelly is coming along.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#67 » by papidulo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Trade Otto for Melo.
Otto isnt that much of a better defender, and Melo is a way better offensive player.
Plus, Melo will come off the books after next year, when Oubre should be able to hold down that spot full-time.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#68 » by Dark Faze » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:09 pm

yikes
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#69 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:59 pm

papidulo wrote:Trade Otto for Melo.
Otto isnt that much of a better defender, and Melo is a way better offensive player.
Plus, Melo will come off the books after next year, when Oubre should be able to hold down that spot full-time.

Nah.

OKC can keep Melo.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#70 » by Dark Faze » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:03 pm

One thing I'll say about Otto that is scary is...you either have to trade him high or that's it. Because if he declines in regards to his efficiency, or public sentiment on him changes for some reason--that's the end of his value. Boom. Done. He's suddenly a bad contract.

Which is what makes this current stent of his pretty scary, but I'm sure he'll bounce back
papidulo
Rookie

Post#71 » by papidulo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

Nah.

OKC can keep Melo.

We gotta trade Otto before his weaknesses get exposed.
He doesnt have a special skill; he just plays a premium position and had a career year shooting last year.
If you watch the Wiz, we always lose to teams that have high level scorers at the 3 position (Warriors, Cavs, Melo torches him, Bucks),
but we can handle good teams with avg small forwards (Celtics, Raptors). Otto is a good player, but for a max contract, we can get more value letting him go for another piece and grooming Oubre for that slot. Hes not an aggressive enough player to complement the
Wiz as currently constructed.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#72 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm

papidulo wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

Nah.

OKC can keep Melo.

He doesnt have a special skill; he just plays a premium position and had a career year shooting last year.
If you watch the Wiz, we always lose to teams that have high level scorers at the 3 position (Warriors, Cavs, Melo torches him, Bucks),
but we can handle good teams with avg small forwards (Celtics, Raptors). Otto is a good player, but for a max contract, we can get more value letting him go for another piece and grooming Oubre for that slot. Hes not an aggressive enough player to complement the

Otto was playing way better a month ago and during the first two months. He's 24 years old. He's our most efficient player.

Nah, I'm not giving him up unless I'm getting an efficient 3 or 4 man who shoots 40-45% from 3, rebounds 6-8 boards a game, and doesn't turn the ball over.
papidulo
Rookie

Post#73 » by papidulo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:54 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
papidulo wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Nah.

OKC can keep Melo.

Otto was playing way better a month ago and during the first two months. He's 24 years old. He's our most efficient player.

Nah, I'm not giving him up unless I'm getting an efficient 3 or 4 man who shoots 40-45% from 3, rebounds 6-8 boards a game, and doesn't turn the ball over.

His efficiency is a function of his low shot volume; if he got the shots per game of a 2nd option, his efficiency would drop. His best skill is shooting 3's in transition, which almost every small forward who plays with Wall does well bc of the pressure Wall puts on defenses. Otto doesnt create his own shot in the half-court well enough to be a second scorer in a scenario where Wall or Beal are out, or having an off night. For the cap space he takes up, I'd rather have Jae Crowder and another bench scorer than Otto.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#74 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Regardless of who to pin the blame on - Otto's been playing poorly, and the team is playing poorly with him. I've said a couple times at least that I would have rested him for 2 weeks right after Wall took his time off - because I've seen Otto limping several times, and he has the chronic hip issue. I'm not sure what the answer is now, but I do know that I'd rest him for at least a week - something's wrong and it shows no sign of improving. Last night's games was a complete debacle that can't happen again. Otto and Keiff at the forwards ain't working.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#75 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 pm

papidulo wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
papidulo wrote:

His efficiency is a function of his low shot volume; if he got the shots per game of a 2nd option, his efficiency would drop. His best skill is shooting 3's in transition, which almost every small forward who plays with Wall does well bc of the pressure Wall puts on defenses. Otto doesnt create his own shot in the half-court well enough to be a second scorer in a scenario where Wall or Beal are out, or having an off night. For the cap space he takes up, I'd rather have Jae Crowder and another bench scorer than Otto.

Yikes
ClutchDJ
Senior
And1: 252

Post#76 » by ClutchDJ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Yea, Otto is a sharpshooter & all, & I love him, but I do think Oubre has the higher ceiling. I also think he has that “It” factor in him which I don’t see in Otto, even though I love Otto’s hustle.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#77 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:00 pm

ClutchDJ wrote:Yea, Otto is a sharpshooter & all, & I love him, but I do think Oubre has the higher ceiling. I also think he has that “It” factor in him which I don’t see in Otto, even though I love Otto’s hustle.

See I think they both have the “it” factor in different forms. You can’t tell me you don’t see the it factor in Otto when he’s hustling around ripping down offensive rebounds late in games to save our ass. Oubre has that drive to be great and the supreme confidence in himself and a motor that never quits.

Oubre definitely has the higher ceiling, but Otto is far and away the better player. Otto is a top 25 player in the NBA, he’s just not healthy right now and our team is a mess.

I just never care to compare the two, because we are at our best when BOTH of them are playing together.

And to the “Otto doesn’t have one special skill”, yes he does, the ability to play the small ball 4 position and shoot 40% from 3 and still pull down 6+ rebounds and defend in the paint and on the perimeter. We don’t have another player on the roster capable of that.
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#78 » by TheBabyMaker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:47 pm

NatP4 wrote: Otto is a top 25 player in the NBA, he’s just not healthy right now and our team is a mess.

Um no he's not
NatP4
RealGM

Post#79 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:53 pm

TheBabyMaker wrote:
NatP4 wrote: Otto is a top 25 player in the NBA, he’s just not healthy right now and our team is a mess.

Um no he's not

Based on what? Let’s hear it
NatP4
RealGM

Post#80 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:58 pm

Read on Twitter

This always cracks me up, It’s just common sense, and Brooks STILL hasn’t got it. It’s killing the team also

Return to Washington Wizards