Otto Porter - Part 3

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

ClutchDJ
Senior
And1: 252

Re: Otto Porter - Part 3 

Post#81 » by ClutchDJ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:03 am

NatP4 wrote:
ClutchDJ wrote:Yea, Otto is a sharpshooter & all, & I love him, but I do think Oubre has the higher ceiling. I also think he has that “It” factor in him which I don’t see in Otto, even though I love Otto’s hustle.

Oubre has that drive to be great and the supreme confidence in himself and a motor that never quits.

This is basically what I mean. Having that “dog” in you. That aggression. That will the put the team on his back. I don’t see that aggression in Otto like I do in Oubre. I think in a year, Oubre will become a better player than Otto. Hell, I think Oubre will become a better player than both Wall & Beal, but it’s up to Oubre to figure out when.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#82 » by NatP4 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:54 am

ClutchDJ wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
ClutchDJ wrote:Yea, Otto is a sharpshooter & all, & I love him, but I do think Oubre has the higher ceiling. I also think he has that “It” factor in him which I don’t see in Otto, even though I love Otto’s hustle.

Oubre has that drive to be great and the supreme confidence in himself and a motor that never quits.

This is basically what I mean. Having that “dog” in you. That aggression. That will the put the team on his back. I don’t see that aggression in Otto like I do in Oubre. I think in a year, Oubre will become a better player than Otto. Hell, I think Oubre will become a better player than both Wall & Beal, but it’s up to Oubre to figure out when.

Wow, that’s how I used to feel about Oubre in his rookie year, but I’ve always questioned the court vision and plowing over guys in the lane. At first I thought “this guys has a knack for getting into the lane and finishing” then the whole no right hand thing and the clumsy drives into 3 people came and I just don’t know.

He honestly might top out as a more athletic Trevor Ariza type that isn’t as great defensively because of the b-ball IQ issues. The sky really is the limit though with him
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#83 » by TheBabyMaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:11 am

NatP4 wrote:
TheBabyMaker wrote:
NatP4 wrote: Otto is a top 25 player in the NBA, he’s just not healthy right now and our team is a mess.

Um no he's not

Based on what? Let’s hear it

Dude he is not top 25 and I don't think anyone affiliated with the NBA would put him there. He may be in the 30 to 40 range. Wall and Beal may be hard pressed to be in the top 25 right now the way they are playing.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#84 » by NatP4 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:40 pm

TheBabyMaker wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
TheBabyMaker wrote:
Um no he's not

Based on what? Let’s hear it

Dude he is not top 25 and I don't think anyone affiliated with the NBA would put him there. He may be in the 30 to 40 range. Wall and Beal may be hard pressed to be in the top 25 right now the way they are playing.

So based on nothing?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#85 » by Chi town » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 pm

ClutchDJ wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Bulls fan here. I like both Otto and Oubre. What makes you guys believe in Oubre more? Do you think you can keep them both long term? How good is Oubre’s D? Better than Otto’s?
NatP4
RealGM

Post#86 » by NatP4 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Chi town wrote:
ClutchDJ wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Oubre has that drive to be great and the supreme confidence in himself and a motor that never quits.

Bulls fan here. I like both Otto and Oubre. What makes you guys believe in Oubre more? Do you think you can keep them both long term? How good is Oubre’s D? Better than Otto’s?

Oubre isn’t a good defender, probably just below average right now, he just has more potential defensively due to better athletic ability and lateral quickness that Otto lacks. Porter ranks as one of the best defensive players at the small forward position.

It’s a nice contrast, Porter lacks some athletic ability but has supreme basketball IQ and no ego, always makes the right play. Porter can also play the 4, Oubre cannot.

Oubre is an elite athlete with a drive to be the best small forward in the league, but he lacks basketball IQ(improving rapidly though), and feel for the game.

Otto is the far better player for now. Oubre is improving at a rapid pace though. We probably keep both because they can play different positions and have such different play styles that fit together perfectly.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#87 » by closg00 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:31 pm

ClutchDJ wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Agree guys, Kelly has a winners moxy and he has no-fear. Other GM's no-doubt will be tasting blood here, they know Ernie phucked up the cap and is saddled with Mahinimi/Porter over-pays. Kelly will get more real offers than Otto did.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#88 » by Chi town » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:34 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Chi town wrote:
ClutchDJ wrote:This is basically what I mean. Having that “dog” in you. That aggression. That will the put the team on his back. I don’t see that aggression in Otto like I do in Oubre. I think in a year, Oubre will become a better player than Otto. Hell, I think Oubre will become a better player than both Wall & Beal, but it’s up to Oubre to figure out when.

Oubre isn’t a good defender, probably just below average right now, he just has more potential defensively due to better athletic ability and lateral quickness that Otto lacks. Porter ranks as one of the best defensive players at the small forward position.

It’s a nice contrast, Porter lacks some athletic ability but has supreme basketball IQ and no ego, always makes the right play. Porter can also play the 4, Oubre cannot.

Oubre is an elite athlete with a drive to be the best small forward in the league, but he lacks basketball IQ(improving rapidly though), and feel for the game.

Otto is the far better player for now. Oubre is improving at a rapid pace though. We probably keep both because they can play different positions and have such different play styles that fit together perfectly.

Thanks.

Why can’t Oubre play small ball 4? Is the D mostly IQ issues?

What do you guys think of Niko? Proposed Niko Holiday for Oubre and filler on the trade board.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#89 » by pcbothwel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Chi town wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Thanks.

Why can’t Oubre play small ball 4? Is the D mostly IQ issues?

What do you guys think of Niko? Proposed Niko Holiday for Oubre and filler on the trade board.

Oubre CAN play small ball 4, its just that he shouldnt be there a majority of the time. Otto should be there for 60-70% of his minutes.

And no interest in the trade. Im particularly high on Sato and Oubre, so maybe Im in a small camp on this board. Oubre is going to be a star in this league. If you had to build the absolute prototype NBA player right now to fit this era, you would choose to have a long, athletic wing that can guard 4 positions, shoot from 3, draw fouls, and play with attitude/confidence. Meet Kelly Oubre
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#90 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:36 pm

I've been saying for about a month now that the Wiz should be sitting Otto for a couple of weeks because he's obviously playing in pain. Well, he got pulled during the Mavs game, and who knows how much damage he's done to it by playing hurt or injured? In the meantime, he's been just a shell of himself. Am I that much smarter than Brooks and Grunfeld? Why in the bloody hell have they not sat him? They sat Wall for 3 weeks when he was sore, and they won't sit Otto. Why? Are they waiting for the point of no return?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#91 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:I've been saying for about a month now that the Wiz should be sitting Otto for a couple of weeks because he's obviously playing in pain. Well, he got pulled during the Mavs game, and who knows how much damage he's done to it by playing hurt or injured? In the meantime, he's been just a shell of himself. Am I that much smarter than Brooks and Grunfeld? Why in the bloody hell have they not sat him? They sat Wall for 3 weeks when he was sore, and they won't sit Otto. Why? Are they waiting for the point of no return?

Yes, that has completely baffled me in the last couple of weeks. It's not like this team is going anywhere soon...
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#92 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 7:45 pm

Read on Twitter
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#93 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:18 pm

Read on Twitter
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#94 » by Shanghai Kid » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:38 pm

Crazy that Otto has the highest RPM at his position.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Re: RE: Re: Otto Porter - Part 3 

Post#95 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 1, 2018 11:46 pm

Shanghai Kid wrote:Crazy that Otto has the highest RPM at his position.
Not when I look at the advanced box score from last game. Paul George had 20 in the first half. Otto Porter ended up with the better game by far. He filled every category and also scored 25 points. Porter thoroughly outplayed George.

He's very under rated.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#96 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:41 pm

Sup guys? Odd question hopefully somebody can give me some insight on.

I Was wondering if some wizards fans could give me some insight on Porter and how he has played this year. In the few games that I watch him play, he always just seems to be doing the right thing. Maybe not the most talented player, but extremely efficient. Seems like a great glue guy to have.

Anyways... on the Knicks board we do build a team and we are running a franchise that will go for 5 years (in real life time. We use a realistic game simulater and sim game by game and have a draft and a lottery etc)

I just made a trade for Otto Porter at the deadline. I traded Kevin Love and Jason Terry for Otto Porter and JJ Barrea. My team was #1 in the West before I made this move and I made a trade against one of my competitors.

How would you rate him overall as a defender?
What is his strongest position?
Can he create offense? Is he good moving without the ball?
Would you trade Porter straight up for Love?
How would you rate him as an overall athlete?

Can I get a scouting report on him? Does he have room to grow potential wise? Could he maintain these shooting % on a more shots?

I’d appreciate any insight you give me. Him leading small forwards in RPM is very impressive.

Thank you.
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#97 » by zero2hero » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:19 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:How would you rate him overall as a defender?

Above average to good. He's very smart at playing the passing lanes and using his length. He struggles against the more physical forwards though

Even though his future on the Wizards should be/is most likely at the 4, right now it's at the 3. One of the main reasons is the one that I mentioned above: he'll get out-physicalled right now.

Creating offense from a dribble isn't really his strong suit. He has a good post up game into a turn around mid-range jumper though. He ability to move without the ball is actually one of his strong suits.

Depends on the make-up of your team. I truly think though, Otto has more value than Love if utilized correctly/he continues to progress

Above average athlete. Doesn't play above the rim but can still keep up with the most athletic players.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#98 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:38 pm

zero2hero wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:How would you rate him overall as a defender?

Above average to good. He's very smart at playing the passing lanes and using his length. He struggles against the more physical forwards though

Even though his future on the Wizards should be/is most likely at the 4, right now it's at the 3. One of the main reasons is the one that I mentioned above: he'll get out-physicalled right now.

Creating offense from a dribble isn't really his strong suit. He has a good post up game into a turn around mid-range jumper though. He ability to move without the ball is actually one of his strong suits.

Depends on the make-up of your team. I truly think though, Otto has more value than Love if utilized correctly/he continues to progress

Above average athlete. Doesn't play above the rim but can still keep up with the most athletic players.

Appreciate it very much. A big reason I made this move is because in the game both players are sign for 5 years. Figured that Porter Jr would be the better player over the course of those 5 years. Also Love is a poor defender and I have Whiteside/Oquinn so I really didn’t need Loves rebounding. Plus my forwards/guards all rebound well.

My team is the deepest in the league. I spent my money very well in the draft. Love was only averaging 14/9 for me because didn’t have the touches for him and Whiteside is a beast rebounder.

My team is in my sig if you’re curious to what my team actually is.
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#99 » by zero2hero » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:46 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
Appreciate it very much. A big reason I made this move is because in the game both players are sign for 5 years. Figured that Porter Jr would be the better player over the course of those 5 years. Also Love is a poor defender and I have Whiteside/Oquinn so I really didn’t need Loves rebounding. Plus my forwards/guards all rebound well.

My team is the deepest in the league. I spent my money very well in the draft. Love was only averaging 14/9 for me because didn’t have the touches for him and Whiteside is a beast rebounder.

My team is in my sig if you’re curious to what my team actually is.

Yeah, there's talks around the league about how the typical center's are becoming dinosaurs in this league (DJ, Gortat, Biyombo, etc.). But I think the 4's that can play as stretch 5's are becoming less valuable as well, if they can't defend. Which is why I personally think someone like Al Horford has more value on championship teams than K.Love
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#100 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:57 pm

This probably isn't a poplular thought here, but I'd be looking to trade Ouber this offseason - partly because of the cap and tax issues, but also because I don't think he has a high basketball IQ. Granted he's only 22 and will likely improve, but I don't see the likelihood of him excelling at either end of the court. And his stats are nowhere near Otto's. People think he's a great defender, but he makes too many mistakes and really isn't able to use his length to stop people from shooting over him. Short-armed Marcus Morris backed him down several times in the 4th quarter and made shots right over the top of him. I doubt that happens against Ariza or Porter. Marcus is usually a face the basket jump shooter - not a post-up guy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards