ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #25: Wizards @ Suns 9 PM (NBCSW/1500 AM)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

YOUR WINNER

The team that can't handle prosperity
75%
Valley of the Sun
25%

Total votes: 8

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Re: GT #25: Wizards @ Suns 9 PM (NBCSW/1500 AM) 

Post#161 » by NatP4 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:26 am

nate33 wrote:I sincerely hope that Sato usurps Frazier's spot at backup PG when Wall gets back. Brooks has to see that the bench lineup of Sato-Meeks-Oubre-Scott-Mahinmi is working. The defense is stifling and usually one of Scott or Oubre has a matchup advantage on offense that bends the defense and creates open shots.

and specifically big minutes for Sato-Oubre-Mahinmi to help improve the defense. Is that an 8 man playoff rotation I smell?
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#162 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:28 am

CobraCommander wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:No John Wall. Wizards have 25 assists and only 10 turnovers.

Mahinmi reaches double figures and is ahead of Gortat in the rotation apparently.

Satoransky leads in assists and is on the floor in crunch time.

Beal has another great game.

This is very encouraging.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app

When you can win with your best player out...things should get better when Wall gets back,...this is encouraging. Maybe Beal needs to get hurt to energize Otto...then they all come back in new year HOT

Don’t tempt fate...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,351

Post#163 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:29 am

80sballboy wrote:
nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Clock is ticking on Gortat's time as a starter. I think he'd work well with guys like Scott and Meeks due to his passing and screening.

I wouldn't go that far. But we are at a point where Gortat and Mahinmi can split the minutes more evenly. Instead of 32 and 16, it can be 26 and 22. And there will be games where Mahinmi is the better option. Like tonight.

More like the last 5 or more games as Mahinimi has gotten better, esp. on the boards. He's defending bigs so much better. It's not even close. You can't look at the contract. Look at the player. This is what he was two years ago at Indiana. Maybe he's finally healthy and playing with more confidence than he was at the beginning of the year. I don't need to see the opening of every game to watch Marc miss a 12-foot jumper to get him involved. He's used to being the backup. Maybe he'll have more energy coming off the bench just like he used to.

Let's not forget that Mahinmi is going against backups. Also, don't overlook Gortat's contribution with screens and passing. Beal doesn't score 51 if Mahinmi is at center. Finally, Mahinmi is too foul prone to start.

I'm really happy that Mahinmi is playing well and I'm fine with him taking more minutes. I just think it's premature to call for him to start.

One other thing, Gortat is a pick-and-roll player. His style of game meshes with Wall very well. Not so much with Frazier.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#164 » by 80sballboy » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:29 am

nate33 wrote:I sincerely hope that Sato usurps Frazier's spot at backup PG when Wall gets back. Brooks has to see that the bench lineup of Sato-Meeks-Oubre-Scott-Mahinmi is working. The defense is stifling and usually one of Scott or Oubre has a matchup advantage on offense that bends the defense and creates open shots.

I'm ok with either one. Sato struggles against speedy point guards but he can be fine as the backup to Wall. Frazier has done a nice job. He's unselfish to a fault and his D against quicker guards is not as bad as it was earlier in the year when he wasn't 100%. Yet he doesn't score. I'd still like to see Sato being more aggressive taking the ball to the basket and had two missed layups, he could have flushed.

But that's not the major problem on this team. It's consistency and our unathletic post players. I've been pretty happy with the way the bench has played. Scott was a nice cheap pickup despite what some on this board (PIF) were saying. Oubre is getting better and Meeks ain't bad when he's on.
ClutchDJ
Senior
And1: 252

Post#165 » by ClutchDJ » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:29 am

NatP4 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:No John Wall. Wizards have 25 assists and only 10 turnovers.

Mahinmi reaches double figures and is ahead of Gortat in the rotation apparently.

Satoransky leads in assists and is on the floor in crunch time.

Beal has another great game.

This is very encouraging.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app

I agree, the games in which Wall has been out have been very encouraging for the most part(forget Utah)

Philly was also bad save the comeback.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,920

Post#166 » by CobraCommander » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:32 am

NatP4 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
I agree, the games in which Wall has been out have been very encouraging for the most part(forget Utah)

We .500 without Wall right???

4-3, time to get to 5-3 on Sat. not bad

Not bad right! Let’s get it...beat these teams we should beat.

Suns board thinks they win this game if they healthy...
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#167 » by 80sballboy » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:33 am

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
nate33 wrote:I wouldn't go that far. But we are at a point where Gortat and Mahinmi can split the minutes more evenly. Instead of 32 and 16, it can be 26 and 22. And there will be games where Mahinmi is the better option. Like tonight.

More like the last 5 or more games as Mahinimi has gotten better, esp. on the boards. He's defending bigs so much better. It's not even close. You can't look at the contract. Look at the player. This is what he was two years ago at Indiana. Maybe he's finally healthy and playing with more confidence than he was at the beginning of the year. I don't need to see the opening of every game to watch Marc miss a 12-foot jumper to get him involved. He's used to being the backup. Maybe he'll have more energy coming off the bench just like he used to.

Let's not forget that Mahinmi is going against backups. Also, don't overlook Gortat's contribution with screens and passing. Beal doesn't score 51 if Mahinmi is at center. Finally, Mahinmi is too foul prone to start.

I'm really happy that Mahinmi is playing well and I'm fine with him taking more minutes. I just think it's premature to call for him to start.

One other thing, Gortat is a pick-and-roll player. His style of game meshes with Wall very well. Not so much with Frazier.

I didn't say start next game. I said the clock is ticking. Mahinmi has been playing at the end of games recently. You forget he was there against Drummond. Monroe did nothing against him. It's not only backups. Again, I think your starting center needs to be more than just a good screener and passer.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#168 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:33 am

Markieff Morris had a quietly effective night. I thought his defense was sharp again, and he scored 21 points on efficient shooting. He really is a key factor for this team. When he is engaged and hustling on defense, the team wins.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#169 » by CobraCommander » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:35 am

Where is Phil at? They not showing my boy???
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#170 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:35 am

80sballboy wrote:
nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

I didn't say start next game. I said the clock is ticking. Mahinmi has been playing at the end of games recently. You forget he was there against Drummond. Monroe did nothing against him. It's not only backups. Again, I think your starting center needs to be more than just a good screener and passer.

I just don't think it's an issue. What we have now are options. Continue to start Gortat and play him the first 9 minutes. Then play Ian for 8 minutes. Get a feel for who is looking sharp that night and who has the matchup advantages, and roll with it. On some nights, Mahinmi should get crunch time minutes. On other nights, it'll be Gortat.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#171 » by NatP4 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:35 am

turn gortat into deandre jordan somehow and this team is dangerous.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#172 » by 80sballboy » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:36 am

nate33 wrote:Markieff Morris had a quietly effective night. I thought his defense was sharp again, and he scored 21 points on efficient shooting. He really is a key factor for this team. When he is engaged and hustling on defense, the team wins.

I wish we could count on him but we can't. I think Brooks has to be careful with him, game-to-game. If he's not on, you go to the Porter at the 4 lineup or play more Scott at the 4. If he's on, you can play him some at the 5 if the other team is going small. I wish we knew which Kieff we were going to get each night and I'm sure Brooks does as well. But I still think he's lacking that athletic bounce he had last season.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#173 » by CobraCommander » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:37 am

Ok she can break down the game very well- her explanations are solid...maybe I would prefer having her in the studio explaining the game then calling the game!
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#174 » by CobraCommander » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:38 am

NatP4 wrote:turn gortat into deandre jordan somehow and this team is dangerous.

No ..please no...turn the hammer into boogie...and the teams in the east will be on notice.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#175 » by 80sballboy » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:39 am

CobraCommander wrote:Ok she can break down the game very well- her explanations are solid...maybe I would prefer having her in the studio explaining the game then calling the game!

She's fine. Just have to get used to the fact that Buck is an outright homer and she's not.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#176 » by NatP4 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:40 am

CobraCommander wrote:

No ..please no...turn the hammer into boogie...and the teams in the east will be on notice.

if you have the blueprint for that one, please give it to Uncle Ern
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#177 » by CobraCommander » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:40 am

NatP4 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

if you have the blueprint for that one, please give it to Uncle Ern

Hope and dreams man...hopes and dreams.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#178 » by 80sballboy » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:40 am

CobraCommander wrote:

I don't want Jordan for a half of a season either but I'd like a poor man's and younger Jordan. Somebody that is athletic and can protect the rim. That's not Boogie but I know he can rebound like a monster. Would probably need Gortat and about 3 first rounders.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#179 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:42 am

The Wizards held Phoenix to 15 4th quarter points. That's how you close a game out!
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#180 » by 80sballboy » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:44 am

nate33 wrote:The Wizards held Phoenix to 15 4th quarter points. That's how you close a game out!

I don't want to sound like NatP's love affair with Sato but Ian really was the defensive anchor for most of that quarter. Oubre and Porter defended even though they couldn't shoot. Starters closed it out like they should have against a bad team.

Return to Washington Wizards