The Wizards 2018 second round draft pick

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: The Wizards 2018 second round draft pick 

Post#101 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm

80sballboy wrote:KBD has a 7-3 wingspan at 6-7 and is 230 pounds. Otto-lite but not Otto-like because he has a bigger frame. I read where somebody compared him to Marcus Morris, because he can shoot but doesn't have great ball skills. Not a bad late second-round pick though because he can also defend 3 different positions.

There's a player on Tulane named Melvin Frazier who's got that same kind of wingspan - and he combines it with crazy athleticism and hops. He's not getting talked about much yet, but he's going to be flying up the mocks. He's making 40% of his 3's and 66.7% of his 2's. He's maybe 6'6". It's gotta be a rarity for a player that size to make 2 3rds of his 2's. I've just seen highlights of him, but he's ridiculous defensive ability because of his length and athleticism. He's like a smaller version of Leonard and probably a little quicker. Wiz don't need a 6'6 200 lb swingman, but he's too good to pass up if he's there in round 1 for the Wiz, imo. Granted, I should watch more of him before saying that, but
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#102 » by NatP4 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:02 pm

In round 1? I don’t see him on any draft projections, you wanna pick him at 20ish?
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#103 » by NatP4 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 pm

This might be useful to you,Ruz:
Read on Twitter
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#104 » by youngWizzy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Not sure if he has been mentioned here, but Khyri Thomas out of Creighton would be a great add if available.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/khyri-thomas-1.html

He's a great defender for his size. He is 6-3 with a 6-10 wingspan. Shooting 40% from 3 on roughly 4.5 per game. Reminds me a lot of Victor Oladipo or Donovan Mitchell.

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 pm

NatP4 wrote:In round 1? I don’t see him on any draft projections, you wanna pick him at 20ish?

Yup, I think he soon will be on the mocks, and he'll get picked before the Wiz pick, but I really should watch more of him before committing to that. Highlights are often misleading, but some of the things he does I haven't seen since David Thompson.

Edit - upon further contemplation and retrospect... I probably jumped the gun there on Frazier. I still love his potential, but there are consistency issues and the fact that his team hasn't done well with him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: RE: Re: The Wizards 2018 second round draft pick 

Post#106 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Gary Clark from Cincinnati. averaged over 10 boards per40 all 4 years in school. Leads the entire country in defensive rating, defensive box plus minus, and defensive win shares. He also ranks 6th in offensive rating actually, Only about 6'7, but more center than small forward.

what also makes him interesting is his developing 3pt shooting:

sophomore year: 13-25 (52%)
junior year: 14-49 (28%)
senior year: 17-41 (41%)

total over 3 year span: 44-115 (38%)

another guy I wouldn't mind taking in the 2nd round.

CCJ compared him to Millsap. You guys might be onto something there.
He's more like Chuck Hayes.

Clark is not going to be able to score like Millsap but I believe he will be surprisingly effective at the next level.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#107 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:36 am

Check out @marchmadness’s Tweet:
Read on Twitter
?s=09
Bye bye Beal.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,968

Post#108 » by dckingsfan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:50 pm

I come in ignorance to this thread - I just don't watch college bball. But I do tend to watch European hoops - although less this year than in past years.

This year seems to be the year of SFs out of the international leagues. Luka Doncic and Dzanan Musa will be gone by the time we draft. I think both Luka will be special as a SF in the league. I don't think Dzanan will be better than Porter/Oubre. There are some other SFs that will be coming out as well if we wanted depth.

As for bigs...

Borisa Simanic - I think he could turn into a Stretch C with rim protecting skills. I think he would be a terrific second round choice for someone. But he wouldn't be a guy to bring over until the 19-20 or 20-21 season.

Goga Bitadze - I only saw him play once and he wasn't hitting his 3 point shots. Maybe? Or maybe in the future... He is still really young and the announcers were going on and on about his work ethic.

Felipe Dos Anjos - think more Rudy Gobert with less offensive skills. He could be worth someone's second round pick. But, I would say no.

Arnoldas Kulboka - no. Just doesn't have the athleticism or length for the NBA, IMO. He would a stretch 4

Tryggvi Hlinason - no. Way to raw...
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#109 » by dckingsfan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:12 pm

can we make this thread stick too?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#110 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Villanova's red shirt freshman C Omari Spellman is an intriguing stretch big.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/omari-spellman.html?m=1

https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/single-post/2017/12/13/Evaluating-Omari-Spellman-Jalen-Brunson-and-Quinton-Rose

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Omari-Spellman-83143/

This kid is very self-aware and very intelligent. Very articulate. He talks like a coach.

If he declares he definitely needs to be invited for a workout.

Copied from draft thread on the theory that right now this kid looks more likely to be a R2 pick -- but... is he coming out?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#111 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:Here's a player from Marshall I never heard of before today - but has terrific stats all across the board - Ajdin Penava. He's come out of nowhere. Apparently has great court vision.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ajdin-Penava-79284/career/

Once again, picked up from draft thread w/ the thought that this is a guy likely to available in R2.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#112 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Check out @marchmadness’s Tweet:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Jevon Carter is projected to R2?

Why is this guy not an NBA player?
RealGM

Post#113 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:48 pm

payitforward wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Villanova's red shirt freshman C Omari Spellman is an intriguing stretch big.

https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/single-post/2017/12/13/Evaluating-Omari-Spellman-Jalen-Brunson-and-Quinton-Rose

This kid is very self-aware and very intelligent. Very articulate. He talks like a coach.

Copied from draft thread on the theory that right now this kid looks more likely to be a R2 pick -- but... is he coming out?
I would expect him to participate in the pre-draft camp.

Who is a better prospect between Omari Spellman, Bruno Fernando, Grant Williams, Omer Yurtseven, Kieta Bates Diop...or a small, say Shamorie Ponds?

I have no idea.

Bye bye Beal.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#114 » by dckingsfan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Sticky !?! :)
RealGM

Post#115 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:04 am

dckingsfan wrote:Sticky !?! :)
Is the next Dillon Brooks worth a sticky?

YES!

Just because a player is rated below 30 does not mean anything in my opinion....

How about Jordan Bell?

****DRAYMOND GREEN****

Patrick Beverly?
Spencer Dinwiddie?
James Ennis?
Kyle O'Quinn?

****PAUL MILLSAP****

Instead of selling... Try buying additional second round picks.

Dwayne Bacon, Juwan Evans, Frank Mason III, and Sindarius Thornwell were each 2nd round picks.
Bye bye Beal.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#116 » by 80sballboy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:59 pm

payitforward wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Check out @marchmadness’s Tweet:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Jevon Carter is projected to R2?

Why is this guy not an NBA player?

If Shelvin Mack is, of course Carter is. He's old (will be 23) so that always knocks these guys down a peg. His shooting has improved every year and he's a pretty good defender. Gets nearly 3.0 steals per game though I know it's with "Press" Virginia. Good size at 6-2, 205. But for what we need, he wouldn't be on my radar. Looking big, then two-guard.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:32 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
payitforward wrote:

I would expect him to participate in the pre-draft camp.

Who is a better prospect between Omari Spellman, Bruno Fernando, Grant Williams, Omer Yurtseven, Kieta Bates Diop...or a small, say Shamorie Ponds?

I have no idea.

Bates-Diop is the best, imo - though I'm not familiar with Grant Williams. Yurtseven is a good offensive center with a real good shooting touch - he's just slow footed - particularly on defense. He's actually got range out to 3 point land. Hard to see him defending the rim in the NBA, but if you can team him with a quick big who can defend the rim, you can get away with his defense. As long as you have Anthony Davis, you can play him. :)
RealGM

Post#118 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 7, 2018 9:43 pm

(Too soon on Trent Forrest...)
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#119 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 7, 2018 9:57 pm

Both of Boston College's guards look like future NBA roleplayers to me.

Kai Bowman and Jerome Robinson... I like both of those guys.

Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#120 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 9, 2018 5:22 pm

He will climb the boards if he plays in Portsmouth. But I like Chandler Hutchison of Boise State as a sneaky good player who shows well in the one metric that matters most to me: improvement. I love an upperclassman, I feel like you will get production from them sooner than players you may have to wait to develop. But also you get to see how they perform under sustained pressure. Do they level off? Do they work on their weaknesses? Do they seize a leadership role?

From a player who was unplayable as a freshman Hutch has grabbed a spotlight role and earned the coaches trust by learning how to play the damn game. Imagine that, a kid learns something in school and is ready to become a man. He now fills every box stat: He boards well, has double digit assist nights, stays active defensively steals off ball pressure more than gambling, has the size for his position, but most of all in every significant category he has improved every year, even as his usage increased. He seems like a Spurs sort of player. Even on an off night he finds ways to fill the box score. Granted his team played exactly nobody of consequence, but he can only play they guys they line up against him.

Chandler Hutchison:

Return to Washington Wizards