Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Re: The Wizards 2018 second round draft pick 

Post#261 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:37 am

pcbothwel wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:I'd love to buy Philly's #39 & #56... but I think I've said that quite a few times, haven't I? :)

Before the draft (and with 30M in cap runway), with 10, 26, 38, 39, 56, 60

Code: Select all

Simmons     Fultz              Bayless
McConnell   Luwawu-Cabarrot   
Covington   Anderson           Korkmaz
Saric      
Embiid     Homes

If I were Philly, I would want to trade 26 + one or two of 38, 39, 56, 60 for a higher pick.

You're forgetting Holmes. Again, thats 11 guys along with a max spot, and 4 top 40 picks. They have no choice but to consolidate.

If I were them, I would look to move either Fultz/Saric, both my 1st, and any depth player(s) (Anderson, Furkan, TLC) for Doncic.

Then use the 2nds to back fill the depth. Memphis would be prime as they need picks and youth.
Fultz
Doncic
Covington
Simmons
Embiid

Dangerous. 3 ball handlers/PG's, and every player can guard 3 positions.

As for us, Our best trades with them have us dumping salary... but I doubt Philly would do so before FA... Unfortunate

Right - Homes is a team option. Corrected above. And your plan for Philly is solid. The other is they just grab a lot of players that can shoot the 3 ball to go around the others.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#262 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 9, 2018 2:56 pm

I know I must have jumped off the cliff while slugging Kool Aid when it starts to look to me like this is the deepest draft in human history.

But... it does! Penava looks like a player for sure. Happ (despite having withdrawn) looks like a player -- his sophomore year was off the charts great. Every day another guy surfaces!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#263 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jun 9, 2018 3:05 pm

payitforward wrote:I know I must have jumped off the cliff while slugging Kool Aid when it starts to look to me like this is the deepest draft in human history.

But... it does! Penava looks like a player for sure. Happ (despite having withdrawn) looks like a player -- his sophomore year was off the charts great. Every day another guy surfaces!

yep, does feel like a deep draft - given the discussions about Philly and where they are at - would you try to combine picks and trade up or draft and stash?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#264 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 9, 2018 8:14 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:I know I must have jumped off the cliff while slugging Kool Aid when it starts to look to me like this is the deepest draft in human history.

yep, does feel like a deep draft - given the discussions about Philly and where they are at - would you try to combine picks and trade up or draft and stash?

My goal in this draft -- if I could do it w/o giving up the #15 pick -- would be to come away with enough players that we could mostly fill out our roster & still have guys to stash.

Right now, we are looking at 10 guys for $125m. 4 of those guys are quite unproductive & not at a stage of their careers where you expect them to get better: Morris, Mahinmi, Meeks, & Smith. Another of them, Gortat, is expiring this year. He's not part of our future.

The other 5 (Wall, Beal, Porter, Oubre & Sato) are the only players we should care about at all. Next year, those 5 alone will cost us $100m -- or more, if we have re-signed either Oubre or Sato or both. Potentially a significant amount more. Yet, we will need 10 more players to complete our roster. At least 5 of them will have to be pretty good players.

We're not going to get there by signing veteran minimum rent-a-players. We are not going to sign anyone for a lot of $$ either; we can't afford it. Of course, we might trade one of the 3 big-dollar guys -- but that doesn't make it easier to field a good team, it makes it harder!

We need to concentrate on young guys who don't make a lot of $. & we need to do a very good job of finding them & a very good job of developing them. Plus we're going to have to get lucky -- have some of them develop quickly.

I can't see any way around this. If someone does, I'd be happy to hear about it. But, there is no doubt we need a plan! "Who knows what's going to happen...." & "There could be trades & such" is not a plan.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#266 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jun 9, 2018 9:47 pm

↑↑↑ - So, my plan would be indeed to try to trade with Philly. 15 for 26, 38, 39, 56 with our 44th pick, that leaves us with 5 picks to add young players.

Next year is the same 'ol same 'ol and hoping for an improvement from Sato and Oubre and sliding Porter over to our starting PF.

Wall/Sato
Beal/Meeks/Sato
Oubre/Porter/Sato
Porter/Morris
Gortat/Mahinmi /Smith

The little 5 become the 3rd unit and we hope for 2 of them to really step up and join Wall/Beal/Porter/Mahimni and assume that we resign either Sato or Oubre - whichever takes the biggest step. We don't trade our '19 picks and pickup and 2nd second round pick and do the same.

And then we pray for a miracle. Of course, if SA offered Leonard for Wall (and filler on both sides) we jump at it and try to get a PG in the draft. Maybe Shai or Collin fall to us.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#267 » by DCZards » Sat Jun 9, 2018 11:33 pm

closg00 wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nba-draft-2018-sleepers-could-make-any-team-that-passes-on-them-look-bad/

Glad to see Jalen Brunson tops this sleepers' list. I've been tooting his horn for the past couple of months. It's odd to be the college basketball player of the year...and still be underrated. I understand concerns about Brunson's athleticism and defense...but I think those concerns are overblown and ignore his significant strengths...that don't depend upon athleticism and speed

I'd almost forgotten about Arizona's Allonzo Trier. I wonder why he's not getting more love.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#268 » by NatP4 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:24 am

DCZards wrote:
closg00 wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nba-draft-2018-sleepers-could-make-any-team-that-passes-on-them-look-bad/

Glad to see Jalen Brunson tops this sleepers' list. I've been tooting his horn for the past couple of months. It's odd to be the college basketball player of the year...and still be underrated. I understand concerns about Brunson's athleticism and defense...but I think those concerns are overblown and ignore his significant strengths...that don't depend upon athleticism and speed

I'd almost forgotten about Arizona's Allonzo Trier. I wonder why he's not getting more love.

is it lazy to compare Brunson to Kyle Lowry? you can't teach players that competitiveness and basketball IQ/leadership ability. He won't be Trey Burke simply because he has a much better makeup. Van Fleet is what? 5'11? maybe 6 ft? and he's a quality defender in the NBA. Brunson won't be a good defender like that, but he has much more scoring potential.

I think he'll be a quality backup PG and if you can get him in round 2, it's a quality value pick.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#269 » by NatP4 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:30 am

dckingsfan wrote:↑↑↑ - So, my plan would be indeed to try to trade with Philly. 15 for 26, 38, 39, 56 with our 44th pick, that leaves us with 5 picks to add young players.

Next year is the same 'ol same 'ol and hoping for an improvement from Sato and Oubre and sliding Porter over to our starting PF.

Wall/Sato
Beal/Meeks/Sato
Oubre/Porter/Sato
Porter/Morris
Gortat/Mahinmi /Smith

The little 5 become the 3rd unit and we hope for 2 of them to really step up and join Wall/Beal/Porter/Mahimni and assume that we resign either Sato or Oubre - whichever takes the biggest step. We don't trade our '19 picks and pickup and 2nd second round pick and do the same.

And then we pray for a miracle. Of course, if SA offered Leonard for Wall (and filler on both sides) we jump at it and try to get a PG in the draft. Maybe Shai or Collin fall to us.

26: Omari Spellman
38: Jarred Vanderbilt
39: Grayson Allen
44: Gary Clark
56: Hamidou Diallo

Wall Sato
Beal Allen
Oubre Diallo
Otto Morris Clark Vanderbilt
Gortat Mahinmi Spellman

I probably wouldn't go this route, just because I like the idea of trading Oubre and getting both Williams and Smith, but that's alot of cheap young talent.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#270 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:04 am

dckingsfan wrote:↑↑↑ - So, my plan would be indeed to try to trade with Philly. 15 for 26, 38, 39, 56 with our 44th pick, that leaves us with 5 picks to add young players.

Wall/Sato
Beal/Meeks/Sato
Oubre/Porter/Sato
Porter/Morris
Gortat/Mahinmi /Smith

I wouldn't do it. As long as either Smith, Williams or Okobo is on the board I would not trade down. I want the best player available in the draft... as been mentioned it's a strong draft and its unusually deep at the top of it. There's an excellent chance a very good player will slide to us and I think its foolish to pass it up to search for "depth".

Philly is not taking 5 rookies into next season. They want to win now. They'll be looking to trade picks for vets, future picks & cash. I wouldn't be surprised if the only pick they use themselves is the 10th pick.

As far as the Wizards, I feel like I've been a broken record on this. If Ernie would just buy a pick or two it would definitely be worth it. It's not some pie in the sky fantasy, teams do it every year. If you like a prospect enough, throw in a future 2nd to get it done. I would it do it for Jevon Carter. But I'd much rather come way with Zhaire Smith & Jevon Carter instead of Omari Spellman & Jevon Carter. :wink:
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#271 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:10 am

DCZards wrote:

I think the questions about his athleticism are legit. Who does he defend? If he can't get into the lane against college kids then...
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#272 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:06 am

Dat2U wrote:

Wall/Sato
Beal/Meeks/Sato
Oubre/Porter/Sato
Porter/Morris
Gortat/Mahinmi /Smith

I wouldn't do it. As long as either Smith, Williams or Okobo is on the board I would not trade down. I want the best player available in the draft... as been mentioned it's a strong draft and its unusually deep at the top of it. There's an excellent chance a very good player will slide to us and I think its foolish to pass it up to search for "depth".

Philly is not taking 5 rookies into next season. They want to win now. They'll be looking to trade picks for vets, future picks & cash. I wouldn't be surprised if the only pick they use themselves is the 10th pick.

As far as the Wizards, I feel like I've been a broken record on this. If Ernie would just buy a pick or two it would definitely be worth it. It's not some pie in the sky fantasy, teams do it every year. If you like a prospect enough, throw in a future 2nd to get it done. I would it do it for Jevon Carter. But I'd much rather come way with Zhaire Smith & Jevon Carter instead of Omari Spellman & Jevon Carter. :wink:

I think we have two choices. Trade Wall to get cap flexibility or to add player through the draft (and in a hurry). You have four players under contract in two years with $107,593,646 used in cap space. If you want to keep Oubre - you have basically zero.

Plan A) Stay where we are at, Ted purchases two second round picks.

Plan B) 15 for 26, 38, 39, 56 it would be wise to jump on having five picks in this very deep draft.

Plan C) Trade Wall for Leonard.

Plan D) Ernie trades picks to get rid of Mahimni (probably most likely scenario) :(

Plan F) Stick with where we are at and pray that a miracle happens, Wall suddenly improves, Oubre has a breakout year, our frontcourt "deages", our coach has an epiphany and plays small ball.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#273 » by NatP4 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:53 am

yes, where do we sign up for this "Wall for Leonard" deal?

Satoransky, Beal, Porter, and Leonard would sleepwalk into the NBA finals every season. I would trade 15+Wall for Leonard.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#274 » by DCZards » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:23 pm

Dat2U wrote:
DCZards wrote:

I think the questions about his athleticism are legit. Who does he defend? If he can't get into the lane against college kids then...

I agree that the questions about Brunson's athleticism (and defense) are legit. But the lack of great athleticism didn't stop Mark Jackson and Andre Miller from having outstanding NBA careers. Brunson has the kind of smarts and ball skills they relied on to be successful.

And I don't recall Brunson having any problem getting into the lane in college. In fact, when Nova needed a basket he almost always seemed to get a layup or draw a foul.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#275 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:49 pm

NatP4 wrote:yes, where do we sign up for this "Wall for Leonard" deal?

Satoransky, Beal, Porter, and Leonard would sleepwalk into the NBA finals every season. I would trade 15+Wall for Leonard.

Yeah, that deal would solve multiple problems.
1) One would think we would have to change offenses from ISO to that post Wall offense
2) We would have to go smallball (you aren't going to have either Porter or Leonard on the bench. If Oubre makes a leap, you would have a nice rotation at smallball wing.

It would probably be good for Wall as well. Being coached by Pop - well, I would think he would have a hard time ignoring him.

It may be good for SA as well - if Leonard really is thinking about eventually leaving because the relationship was too damaged.

Now, why wouldn't SA do it - Wall's contract. Or if they can convince Lebron to come join them. Hmmm, which team would Pop want to coach?

Wall       Murray     White
Mills      Ginobili   Pick
Green      Paul   
Anderson   Gay   
Aldridge   Gasol      Lauvergne

vs.

Murray     White
Mills      Ginobili   
Leonard    Green      Paul   
James      Anderson   Gay   
Aldridge   Gasol      Lauvergne
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#276 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:14 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Wall/Sato
Beal/Meeks/Sato
Oubre/Porter/Sato
Porter/Morris
Gortat/Mahinmi /Smith

I think we have two choices. Trade Wall to get cap flexibility or to add player through the draft (and in a hurry). You have four players under contract in two years with $107,593,646 used in cap space. If you want to keep Oubre - you have basically zero.

Plan B) 15 for 26, 38, 39, 56 it would be wise to jump on having five picks in this very deep draft.

Plan D) Ernie trades picks to get rid of Mahimni (probably most likely scenario) :(

Plan F) Stick with where we are at and pray that a miracle happens, Wall suddenly improves, Oubre has a breakout year, our frontcourt "deages", our coach has an epiphany and plays small ball.

Plan S) We could "stretch" Mahinmi. But that's not ideal.

I think A & D are the best options. Mahinmi will be easier to move with a little over a year remaining than with 2 years.

I don't see the Wall for Leonard scenario as realistic.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#277 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Dat2U wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Plan S) We could "stretch" Mahinmi. But that's not ideal.

I think A & D are the best options. Mahinmi will be easier to move with a little over a year remaining than with 2 years.

I don't see the Wall for Leonard scenario as realistic.

Well, if we are talking about realism. Plan A) seems to be the most unrealistic based upon past action.

Plan D and F are the most likely based upon past action. If we do plan D and F we end up with a rookie 15th pick along with our current roster sans Mahimni and our 44th pick.

This rosters sans Mahimni and a rookie with the same coach. I would say that is probably the same outcome as last year - bottom half of the east.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#278 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Dat2U wrote:...

BTW, I do understand your point of not trusting EG with lower draft picks...
payitforward
RealGM

Post#279 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:07 pm

DCZards wrote:...I'd almost forgotten about Arizona's Allonzo Trier. I wonder why he's not getting more love.

What an amazing shooter Trier is! .662 TS%

Then you look at the rest of what he does. All at a pretty low level. I don't know whether he'll be picked, but no question he'll play in SL & get a TC invite at the least if he shows well.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#280 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:10 pm

NatP4 wrote:...
26: Omari Spellman
38: Jarred Vanderbilt
39: Grayson Allen
44: Gary Clark
56: Hamidou Diallo

I think that's too high for Spellman & Vanderbilt, whereas Allen will be gone. I'll be amazed if Diallo is there at #56.

Return to Washington Wizards