RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: The Wizards 2018 second round draft pick 

Post#321 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:32 am

bubble toast.

...I mean troubled boast.

...no, make that Hubble ghost.

(i.e. double post)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#322 » by NatP4 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:56 am

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:I must be ragging on you too much, Nat; you're getting kinda touchy. I'll try to be more sensitive.

what you think about those Vanderbilt shooting splits I posted above, PIF? I know it is still a small sample size, but you can much more easily forgive some poor freshman shooting splits than a lack of rebounding, no? Especially when that shooting does improve over increased playing time/2nd half of season.

I'd be curious to see if any other NCAA player averaged 18.5 rebounds per 40 over a 14 game stretch in the NCAA this past season?

worth a 2nd round pick?

Those splits were extremely interesting; in fact, he's an interesting player -- no doubt about it. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise -- just not to draw conclusions based on 234 minutes of PT!

He's getting a lot of action right now -- check out https://www.aseaofblue.com/2018/6/16/17462524/espn-analytics-really-like-jarred-vanderbilt-in-2018-nba-draft where they say ESPN analytics projects him very positively.

Worth reading https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/06/16/kentucky-basketball-jarred-vanderbilt-major-2018-nba-draft-sleeper/ as well. Note the risk portions of the article too, please!! :) Health is one, & non-shooting is another. They compare him to Kevon Looney as same type of player (but not putting him on Looney's level, btw).

Right now, my real problem is that I want every single player in this draft!! I don't know what it is this year, but I'm completely around the bend.

Notice, both articles label him a small ball 5. If he is drafted to a team that thinks he’s a 3/4 he won’t be anything special.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#323 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19A
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#324 » by NatP4 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:10 pm

“Projections: NBC Sports Washington 20th, NBADraft.net 16th, Bleacher Report 16th, Sports Illustrated 20th”
Error Afflalo
Rookie
And1: 687

Post#325 » by Error Afflalo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19A

yes please
payitforward
RealGM

Post#326 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:33 pm

While I like DiVincenzo, & who knows but maybe he would be the answer at backup SG, the fact is we need a new starter at Center & a new starter at forward too (to play alongside Otto). W/ the #15 pick, I'm hoping the BPA fills one of those roles.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#327 » by payitforward » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:01 pm

If we add more R2 picks, which of course we should do, I'm starting to like Rawle Alkins. Take a look at his play at the Combine:

He's a big, smooth, strong guard.

He's also a smart, mature kid: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2779423-nba-draft-prospect-rawle-alkins-qa-im-a-jack-of-all-trades &

& other interviews. His demeanor, ease with questions, calm self-confidence -- these are all impressive to me in a kid who is still only 19 years old.

Alkins had quite a good Freshman season, was injured at the beginning of his Sophomore season & had to overcome that to come back.

Sure looks like a solid NBA player to me. Word is he is rising in the draft. I don't think he'll be there at #44. I'd buy a pick for this guy to be sure.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#328 » by AFM » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:24 pm

DiVicenzo can make me some linguini or rotate my tires incorrectly if he’d like, but I have a strict No Cracker rule when it comes to basketball (note: this is not racist as I am white)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#329 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:24 pm

AFM wrote:DiVicenzo can make me some linguini or rotate my tires incorrectly if he’d like, but I have a strict No Cracker rule when it comes to basketball (note: this is not racist as I am white)

That's very whi... er Christian of you. Yeah, that's it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#330 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Ruzious wrote:
AFM wrote:DiVicenzo can make me some linguini or rotate my tires incorrectly if he’d like, but I have a strict No Cracker rule when it comes to basketball (note: this is not racist as I am white)

That's very whi... er Christian of you. Yeah, that's it.

That's racist whatever color you are; you'll have to rotate your tires incorrectly all on your own.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#331 » by Tyrone Messby » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 pm

I love that our second round pick thread is at 17 pages. I hate you EG if you’re reading this. The biggest excitement we get from the NBA draft is usually some Euro that might be here in 4 years or cash considerations or Bill Walker who we then trade.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: RE: Re: The Wizards 2018 second round draft pick 

Post#332 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 pm

UPDATED: Ray Spalding ... I watched ESPN's replay of top 20 games from 2017-2018.

YES, to Spalding. DISREGARD BELOW when I was LESS INFORMED.... That guy's a baller... Better than I thought earlier. Brooks would play him....but ONLY after mid-round 2 to draft...

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Another Vanderbilt stat on the shooting:

Only played 14 games

First 7 games: 9-32 (28%)

Last 7 games: 20-36 (55.5%)

Just a freshman that needed some experience, started getting more playing time, improved.

Also this: He had a 5 game stretch in which he had 54 total rebounds, 19 of which were offensive. He only played 22 minutes per game in that stretch. per 40 he averaged 17 points 19.6 rebounds 3 blocks 2.5 assists. Just a small 5 game sample size, but that is insane. Did it against Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss. 4 NCAA tournament teams with NBA prospects.
dangermouse wrote:I like Vanderbilt more than Spalding

In fact, I am beginning to side with a lot of other posters here regarding the first round. Ive seen a lot of mocks where Zhaire Smith is taken before us. If Zhaire isnt there, if Rob Williams isnt there, I dont want anyone else. I do NOT want Mitch Rob. No one else is really worth taking that high at #15 imo.

I say see if 6ers will go #15 for #26, #38 #39

Or even #15 for ALL their second rounders. We'd have 5 picks in the second round. We could potentially end up with Vanderbilt, Spalding, Clark, Diallo... Maybe Grayson or Wagner will be there with the higher picks (ideally both!)

Normally I would cringe and turn my nose up at such a move but I think this draft is deep with lots of hidden gems. I'd actually be excited for the young blood coming through.
You guys are on top of it!

I open this thread to say that I don't like Spalding. (Scott Brooks did not like Chris McCullough... This kid is a jump shooter very similar to CM).... But before I can comment on Spalding, I learn from NatP4 good stuff that I don't really know about Vanderbilt. My gut feeling before I just read the last few post: You generally can't go wrong with a Kentucky recruit. John Calipari isn't going to waste his time on junk!

Makes me want to look a little closer at the guy...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jarred-vanderbilt-1.html

In the old days I used to just use the stats alone to evaluate a player. Having a math degree I used to think numbers don't lie. Anybody can look good at a combine workout or in some informal shooting sessions or wild up and down scrimmages.

What does not lie is performance over time, particularly how a player performs versus strong competition. When you know a guy is recruited by Kentucky that says he dominated at his high school level and had a pretty good AAU run or hype for some time.

His per 40 rebounding is insane! When you look at it steals and blocks the first thing I'm thinking is Ben Wallace...

Is Vanderbilt another Michael Porter Jr? Is he an injury risk that might outweigh reward??

I also do not like Mitchell Robinson. We need High character guys.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#333 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 pm

THIS GUY IN round 2 is NO BRAINER... might run a team better than JW within two years...

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#334 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:57 am

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#335 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:57 am

Bye bye Beal.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#336 » by BigA » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 am

Tyrone Messby wrote:I love that our second round pick thread is at 17 pages. I hate you EG if you’re reading this. The biggest excitement we get from the NBA draft is usually some Euro that might be here in 4 years or cash considerations or Bill Walker who we then trade.

Bing-bing-bing! Correct answer is: Eurostash.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#337 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Sanon surfaced in pre-draft reports over the last month & is viewed as extremely promising. I'm happy to have him but not to have picked him this year at #44 when we need guys who can play now -- & several were available.

On the plus side is that several of those guys are still available -- went undrafted. On the negative side is that we don't have the right guy at the helm, so we'll likely never see any of them. On the plus side is that he did sign an undrafted guy (Sheldon Mac) in 2016. On the negative side is that Mac is the only undrafted guy I ever remember him signing. On the plus side is that my memory is fading. On the negative side is that I still remember who our GM is.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#338 » by Eli Babak » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:59 pm

He signed Daniel Ochefu and Danuel House too. I think he signed 3 UFAs back then because he wanted to prove the doubters that he cares about young players etc. That was such a terrible summer...

Seems like Brandon McCoy signed with the Bucks. Sigh - maybe we could finally give Christian Wood a chance?
Error Afflalo
Rookie
And1: 687

Post#340 » by Error Afflalo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:45 pm

still disgusted with how last night played out.

Return to Washington Wizards