ImageImageImageImageImage

The Wizards 2018 second round draft pick

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: The Wizards 2018 second round draft pick 

Post#341 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:13 am

payitforward wrote:Sanon surfaced in pre-draft reports over the last month & is viewed as extremely promising. I'm happy to have him but not to have picked him this year at #44 when we need guys who can play now -- & several were available.

On the plus side is that several of those guys are still available -- went undrafted. On the negative side is that we don't have the right guy at the helm, so we'll likely never see any of them. On the plus side is that he did sign an undrafted guy (Sheldon Mac) in 2016. On the negative side is that Mac is the only undrafted guy I ever remember him signing. On the plus side is that my memory is fading. On the negative side is that I still remember who our GM is.

ON THE PLUS SIDE THE WIZARDS CAN'T DISAPPOINT ME ANY MORE.

PHUCK THEM BECAUSE OF THEIR APPROACH AND GM.
Bye bye Beal.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#342 » by AFM » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:25 am

He plays in Slovenia? Lol
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#343 » by closg00 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Error Afflalo wrote:still disgusted with how last night played out.

It's the Wizards anti-youth bias, they want to re-tool with new vets in a Gortat trade rather than try and incorporate any red shirts into the rotation. "Win Now" again.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#344 » by WallToWall » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:18 pm

I actually am quite fine with this pick. 2nd round picks are where you roll the dice, and that is what EG did (I am not an EG fan). If this kid pans out, he could turn out to be great value. Given 3 years of growth and maturity in both the real world and in basketball, he could turn into something good. Good enough to have other teams want him in the first round, if he were in the draft pool 3 years from now.
Its hard to tell what this team will look like 3 years from now. Who knows...maybe Beal would be gone, or Wall would be gone. Maybe, the makeup of the team would be drastically different. We will be looking at this pick in a different light, if so.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#345 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:03 pm

WallToWall wrote:I actually am quite fine with this pick. 2nd round picks are where you roll the dice.... Given 3 years... he could turn into something good. ...We will be looking at this pick in a different light, if so.

Ummm, Jae Crowder, Draymond Green, Will Barton, Khris Middleton, Kyle O'Quinn, Jeff Taylor, Quincy Acy, Alan Crabbe, Alex Abrines, Mike Muscala, James Ennis, Joe Harris, Cleanthony Early, Johnny O'Bryant, Spencer Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant, Glenn Robinson, Nikola Jokic, Dwight Powell, Jordan Clarkson...

Gotta stop -- that's out of 2 drafts.

We took Tomas Satoransky & waited four years, while Crowder, Green, Barton, Middleton & O'Quinn produced for their teams in the NBA.

Definitely don't want to take a play-now type like Nikola Jokic: you might peak too early.

& in this draft, I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck with Hamidou Diallo, De'Anthony Melton, Keita Bates-Diop, Metu, Johnson, Hall, Carr, Milton or Spalding when instead Sanon "given 3 years... could turn into something good."

Of course, he could also NOT turn into something good. & so could those other guys. For a team like ours with a plethora of cheap talent & no cap, tax or similar problems, there would be no reason to care, am I right? We have nothing to worry about.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#346 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:32 am

payitforward wrote:
WallToWall wrote:I actually am quite fine with this pick. 2nd round picks are where you roll the dice.... Given 3 years... he could turn into something good. ...We will be looking at this pick in a different light, if so.

Ummm, Jae Crowder, Draymond Green, Will Barton, Khris Middleton, Kyle O'Quinn, Jeff Taylor, Quincy Acy, Alan Crabbe, Alex Abrines, Mike Muscala, James Ennis, Joe Harris, Cleanthony Early, Johnny O'Bryant, Spencer Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant, Glenn Robinson, Nikola Jokic, Dwight Powell, Jordan Clarkson...

We took Tomas Satoransky & waited four years, while Crowder, Green, Barton, Middleton & O'Quinn produced for their teams in the NBA.

Definitely don't want to take a play-now type like Nikola Jokic: you might peak too early.

& in this draft, I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck with Hamidou Diallo, De'Anthony Melton, Keita Bates-Diop, Metu, Johnson, Hall, Carr, Milton or Spalding when instead Sanon "given 3 years... could turn into something good."

Of course, he could also NOT turn into something good. & so could those other guys. For a team like ours with a plethora of cheap talent & no cap, tax or similar problems, there would be no reason to care, am I right? We have nothing to worry about.

It seems like a lot of the 2nd rounders become available. I suppose that's another way EG hasn't gotten value either when they were available.

Jae Crowder- traded by Mavs
Will Barton- let go by Trail Blazers
Khris Middleton- traded by Pistons
Kyle O'Quinn- let go by Orlando
Quincy Acy- Available
Alan Crabbe- Productive with Portland, but then signed an unfriendly contract
Alex Abrines- I like what I saw but seems underutilized and on their bench.
Muscala- Decent rotation player.
Early- My friend was super hyped about him. http://tripstake.blogspot.com/2014/07/cleanthony-early-is-nba-starter-right.html
Jokic- Technically was a draft and stash.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#347 » by bsilver » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:22 pm

This pick was more disturbing than the 1st round pick. At least with Brown they had workout comparisons with other options at 15, but really liked him.

The Sanon pick makes no sense. They really need some cheap players that can help out right now. Metu, picked at 46 by the Spurs (who definitely have better judgement than us), seemed obvious. He's not as powerful as Robert Williams but brought similar skills, plus is much better on offense. He can play PF or C, which is important if we're left without a Mike Scott replacement.

EG must be confident that he can trade Gortat and get Noel. Something drastic is needed for the frontcourt.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#348 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:35 pm

bsilver wrote:This pick was more disturbing than the 1st round pick. At least with Brown they had workout comparisons with other options at 15, but really liked him.

The Sanon pick makes no sense. They really need some cheap players that can help out right now. Metu, picked at 46 by the Spurs (who definitely have better judgement than us), seemed obvious. He's not as powerful as Robert Williams but brought similar skills, plus is much better on offense. He can play PF or C, which is important if we're left without a Mike Scott replacement.

EG must be confident that he can trade Gortat and get Noel. Something drastic is needed for the frontcourt.

Agree on the last part, something will happen, but what is the goal here? To make it to round 2? To be a 45 win team? How many 44th overall picks contribute to NBA teams in their first season? They went upside with the pick, took a guy that shot up the charts last second, some mocks had him high 2nd round. He’s the youngest player in the draft.

Again, 19-6-3-3 on 52% shooting at the U18s, which is quality comp. he’s a 6’5 point guard with elite athletic ability. It’s the ultimate swing for the fences pick.

He didn’t even play on his team in the Slovenian league this past season, he figures to have a much bigger role this year, a nice chance to develop, he will play in the summer league as well. Maybe he has a nice year, develops some, they buyout his contract and he’s here next year. An 18 year old PG wasn’t going to contribute regardless.

Metu is probably out of the NBA after a few years due to his lack of ability to rebound enough to play C or shoot well enough to play the 4. He has no feel for the game on offense whatsoever, doesn’t know how to play within a system.

Sanon has real impact player upside if he develops his shooting ability and cuts down on turnovers.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#349 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:47 pm

payitforward wrote:

Jeff Taylor? Lol. He’s not even in the NBA. Jordan Clarkson? He’s about to be out of the NBA. Cleanthony early? What? Quincy Acy????

This argument just never makes sense to me. Will Barton wasn’t a solid NBA player until his 4th NBA season, Draymond Green had two throwaway seasons. Also took Jae Crowder 4 seasons to become a valuable contributor. Abrines,Muscala, and Crabbe are all terrible. Did you seriously list Johnny O’Bryant? Dinwiddie only now just became a solid player in year 4.

By PIF logic, Sanon could turn into Manu Ginobili pt 2, but if he stays in Europe for 2 full seasons while Deanthony Melton shoots 30% and splits time between the g league/NBA, it’s a bad pick.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#350 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:51 pm

bsilver wrote:This pick was more disturbing than the 1st round pick. At least with Brown they had workout comparisons with other options at 15, but really liked him.

Yeah, I probably would have picked Metu there. He's far from a perfect prospect, but he can certainly develop into a better player than our $64 million man - Ian Mahinmi.

We needed to keep a roster spot open... :roll:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#351 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:00 pm

NatP4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Jeff Taylor? Lol. He’s not even in the NBA. Jordan Clarkson? He’s about to be out of the NBA. Cleanthony early? What? Quincy Acy????

This argument just never makes sense to me. Will Barton wasn’t a solid NBA player until his 4th NBA season, Draymond Green had two throwaway seasons. Also took Jae Crowder 4 seasons to become a valuable contributor. Abrines,Muscala, and Crabbe are all terrible. Did you seriously list Johnny O’Bryant? Dinwiddie only now just became a solid player in year 4.

By PIF logic, Sanon could turn into Manu Ginobili pt 2, but if he stays in Europe for 2 full seasons while Deanthony Melton shoots 30% and splits time between the g league/NBA, it’s a bad pick.

I have no problem picking Sato over Johnny O'Bryant aka the JOBber as he was known by Bucks fans. Can't get real excited about the pick considering how long it took for him to get here and how long it's taken him to adjust to the NBA, but it was a reasonable pick.

Would you pick Cleanthony Early? No, I woudn't even pick him late. That's uh... a little basketball draft humor.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM

Post#352 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Yeah, I probably would have picked Metu there. He's far from a perfect prospect, but he can certainly develop into a better player than our $64 million man - Ian Mahinmi.

Based on? Him playing 3 college seasons and never posting a BPM of higher than 6? Averaging more turnovers than assists all 3 years? Never averaging double digit rebounds per 40?

He’s 6’11 with a 6’11 wingspan. Doesn’t have the size to play center. Shot 30% in college from 3 on 0.4 attempts.

He has discount Markieff Morris written all over him. That’s being optimistic.

I’m not trying to hate on Metu, I just like swing for fences pick.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#353 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:35 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Based on? Him playing 3 college seasons and never posting a BPM of higher than 6? Averaging more turnovers than assists all 3 years? Never averaging double digit rebounds per 40?

He’s 6’11 with a 6’11 wingspan. Doesn’t have the size to play center. Shot 30% in college from 3 on 0.4 attempts.

Well yeah, he's no Gary Clark, but those guys come once in a generation.

Btw, he's not 6'11 with a 6'11 wingspan, and comparing him to Keiff makes no sense. And why am I having this discussion with you after I just said he's far from a perfect prospect?
NatP4
RealGM

Post#354 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yeah, I probably would have picked Metu there. He's far from a perfect prospect, but he can certainly develop into a better player than our $64 million man - Ian Mahinmi.

Btw, he's not 6'11 with a 6'11 wingspan, and comparing him to Keiff makes no sense. And why am I having this discussion with you after I just said he's far from a perfect prospect?

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/chimezie-metu

6’10 with a 6’11 wingspan maybe? Impressive.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#355 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Go to the source with the measurements on that same website. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/chimezie-metu He's got a 7'0.5 wingspan. Your article listed a 6'11 wingspan under strengths - that might have been a tipoff that they got something wrong,
NatP4
RealGM

Post#356 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Well yeah, he's no Gary Clark, but those guys come once in a generation.

Go to the source with the measurements on that same website. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/chimezie-metu He's got a 7'0.5 wingspan. Your article listed a 6'11 wingspan under strengths - that might have been a tipoff that they got something wrong,

DX says 6’11

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chimezie-Metu-72494/

Either way, that’s wing player size
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#357 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:24 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

DX says 6’11

Thank you RealGM for providing the ignore function - which I will now use.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#358 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Go to the source with the measurements on that same website. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/chimezie-metu He's got a 7'0.5 wingspan. Your article listed a 6'11 wingspan under strengths - that might have been a tipoff that they got something wrong,

DX says 6’11

http://www.nbascoutingreport.net/player-profiles-chimezie-metu.html 6’11

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nba/2018/06/17/chimezie-metu-nba-draft-2018-scouting-report-highlights-strengths-mock-draft 6’11

I’m sure one extra inch will change everything though
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#359 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:21 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
DX says 6’11

http://www.nbascoutingreport.net/player-profiles-chimezie-metu.html 6’11

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nba/2018/06/17/chimezie-metu-nba-draft-2018-scouting-report-highlights-strengths-mock-draft 6’11

I’m sure one extra inch will change everything though

For love of god, just to stop the back and forth. Here are the combine numbers (And what people should use for other post of this nature)
MEASUREMENTS

7'0.5"
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#360 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:17 am

NatP4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Actually, in principle I don't mind this pick, & I'm looking forward to seeing this kid in SL. At the same time, this team right now is extremely low on bargain talent -- which is best found in the draft.

Thus, a week or so ago, i.e. back when you were using your common sense a little more regularly, you wanted multiple players out of R2, & you also wanted a number of guys who turned out to be available as undrafted FAs.

You were right to want to go in that direction. & in that case -- if we'd managed to get a guy like Clark, a guy like Alkins, a guy like McCoy undrafted, & if we'd managed either to buy or trade for at least 1 more R2 pick & wound up w/ a guy like Bates-Diop or Metu or Melton or more than one, then of course there's every good reason to also pick Iussif Sanon who is clearly a young kid w/ a ton of promise.

As to this point, & the draft overall, I'd say https://www.bulletsforever.com/2018/6/25/17495858/2018-nba-draft-washington-wizards-upside-troy-brown-issuf-sanon is right on target:

"The Washington Wizards, this year’s eighth seed in the Eastern Conference, maneuvered the 2018 NBA draft with an arrogance that should only be reserved for the best teams in the league.... If any team is in need of inexpensive labor, it’s the Wizards. They are operating above the tax line and John Wall’s max extension hasn’t even kicked in yet.

What makes the strategy even worse is the Wizards’ young talent pool is nearly dry after not making a pick in 2016 or 2017. Washington will likely only have two players from the last five drafts in training camp (Brown and Kelly Oubre Jr.). That means they’ll need to go back to the same rinse-and-repeat plan of signing low-cost veterans to fill out their playing rotation.

The Wizards have constantly underrated the ability of young players to help right away, and it has cost them dearly. Just look back at what he said on draft night in 2009, a day after he traded the fifth overall pick for Mike Miller and Randy Foye:

We wouldn’t have done anything different at all. The only player I would’ve been upset if he slipped to five, would’ve been Blake Griffin. But he did go number one,” Grunfeld said. “Ricky Rubio, Tyreke Evans, James Harden, we like all of those players, and I think everybody else did. But if we had a choice to get Miller and Foye for any of those players, it wouldn’t have been a question whether we do it or not.

"Washington had a chance to remedy the mistakes of the past in this year’s draft, especially after watching so many rookies prove their worth on the playoff stage this season. Jayson Tatum, Ben Simmons, and Donovan Mitchell all played vital roles on teams that won playoff series. Players taken outside of the lottery like OG Anunoby and Jordan Bell helped their team’s causes as well, and now they’ll get to grow into even more valuable pieces in the future.

"By contrast, the Wizards keep going back to the plan with the same pitfalls. The upside of targeting low-cost veterans is finding a guy like Mike Scott, a quality player who may have played himself out of Washington’s price range this summer. The downside is finding players like Eric Maynor, Tim Frazier, Gary Neal, Marcus Thornton, Jodie Meeks, Al Harrington, and Alan Anderson, who played themselves right out of the league.

"This year, established players who could have helped right away were available in the first round (Donte DiVincenzo, Zhaire Smith, Robert Williams) and the second round (Keita Bates-Diop). But once again, the Wizards operated like a team living off non-accomplishments from prior years with an overinflated sense of worth...."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards