ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXV 

Post#1121 » by keynote » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:50 pm

prime1time wrote:The question as to whether or not the Wizards are better than Wall is irrelevant. The Wizards are clearly NOT good enough with Wall to justify keeping him on off the trade block.

This. I'm coming around to the conclusion that the team needs to be blown up. I like Wall, Beal, and Porter, but I don't they can be the top three players on a championship team. More importantly, we have one of the least athletic big man rotations in the league, and they're only going to get worse. We have neither the assets nor the cap space to invest in improving that area.

If the team doesn't get out of the second round, I think Ted should strongly consider a reboot. If that means trading Wall -- so be it.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
adarsh1
Junior
And1: 62

Post#1122 » by adarsh1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Love Wall, and he hasn't been the problem. The problem has been Ted and Ernie's inability to put a contending team around him when he was on a relatively cheap deal. Now that he's going to be making Max Money going forward, that is damn near an impossibility. History looks kindly on the 2010's Blazers, 2000's Hawks, the 1990's Hawks and Cavaliers, and the 1980s Bucks right?

That's what the ceiling of this team is. I'm not as high on Beal as many of the rest of you, but I do understand that he is still relatively young. However, the East is going to be brutal going forward - the Cavs will (probably) still have LeBron, the 76ers have Simmons, Embiid, (maybe Fultz), the Bucks have Giannis, and the Celtics have Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Tatum, Brown, and either two more lottery picks or or another superstar.

That's the problem. Next year is huge because it's the last year Wall is on his current deal. IF it's possible, it's time to ship out Oubre and a future first as sweeteners to unload Ian, Gortat, and Morris. This offseason should be the one where the team either makes a real push at being a contender in the East and if not, trades Wall to a team that is desperate enough to take a hack at a championship in the one year that he's on a cheap deal and is fine with paying him $40 mil plus.

I think Cleveland should be on the call list as well with the Brooklyn pick in play. Also, Denver and Phoenix. We all know they wanted Kyrie and while Wall may not be a great fit with Jokic, he would still be an upgrade over Gary Harris. Phoenix should be the main target as they have tried forever to land a star and with Wall, they would have one.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#1123 » by youngWizzy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:12 pm

adarsh1 wrote:Love Wall, and he hasn't been the problem. The problem has been Ted and Ernie's inability to put a contending team around him when he was on a relatively cheap deal. Now that he's going to be making Max Money going forward, that is damn near an impossibility. History looks kindly on the 2010's Blazers, 2000's Hawks, the 1990's Hawks and Cavaliers, and the 1980s Bucks right?

That's what the ceiling of this team is. I'm not as high on Beal as many of the rest of you, but I do understand that he is still relatively young. However, the East is going to be brutal going forward - the Cavs will (probably) still have LeBron, the 76ers have Simmons, Embiid, (maybe Fultz), the Bucks have Giannis, and the Celtics have Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Tatum, Brown, and either two more lottery picks or or another superstar.

That's the problem. Next year is huge because it's the last year Wall is on his current deal. IF it's possible, it's time to ship out Oubre and a future first as sweeteners to unload Ian, Gortat, and Morris. This offseason should be the one where the team either makes a real push at being a contender in the East and if not, trades Wall to a team that is desperate enough to take a hack at a championship in the one year that he's on a cheap deal and is fine with paying him $40 mil plus.

I think Cleveland should be on the call list as well with the Brooklyn pick in play. Also, Denver and Phoenix. We all know they wanted Kyrie and while Wall may not be a great fit with Jokic, he would still be an upgrade over Gary Harris. Phoenix should be the main target as they have tried forever to land a star and with Wall, they would have one.

Don't the nuggets start Jamal Murray at point. Wall at shooting guard alongside Murray would certainly be a worse fit especially alongside Jokic.

Regardless, the hard truth is Ernie never trade Wall in the near future because the team has been very loyal to him for years and extremely committed to build around him even while being unsuccessful for some/most part. Wall also brings fans (while few) to Capital One Arena and flipping him for say anyone from Phoenix/Denver will certainly decrease our attendance which already ranks at the bottom of the league. The only hope for this team is to build through the draft/trade and hope maybe a 1st or 2nd round picks pan out. We certainly cannot afford a big name free agent nor can we lure them to D.C anyways. The team needs more 2nd round picks to fill this roster and hopefully we can develop players into viable assets in the future. Bottom line, trading Wall is not necessary if we put the right pieces around him. The problem is these pieces are extremely hard to acquire other than through the draft/trade.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Wiz99
Analyst
And1: 160

Post#1124 » by Wiz99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:27 am

I’m done with these bums. All of em.

Brooks. Fired.

Ernie “accidentally” hit by a bus driven by a select squad of RealGMers who claim they didn’t see him the first second or third time they drove over him.

Wall to Sacramento for Randolph and Shumpert (don’t resign after 2019) and Sac’s 2018 and 2021 firsts. Why for Sac? They’re morons. And they get a legit put-butts-in-the-seats guy they haven’t had since forever. And 2021 just seems so far away, doesn’t it?

Beal to Cleveland for JR Smith and Kyle Korver (don’t resign after 2020) plus Cavs firsts this year and 2022. Why for Cleveland? Induce LeBron to stay by acquiring a “sweet shooting All Star SG” rather than drafting a rookie this yr and who cares about 2022 because LeBron will be 37 then.

Otto to Brooklyn for DeMare & Linsanity (don’t resign after 2019) plus Nets 2019 & 2020 firsts. Why for Nets? They’re morons. And Otto gives them a top 5-ish SF to rebuild around.

Wiz have 3 firsts in this draft ( #6, #7, #17) and 6 more in following 3 yrs (several in lotto from Sac, Nets, we might bottom out and add 1 of our own in 2019). We are free of most of the Wall, Beal & Porter contracts by end of next season and fully by 2020. Meanwhile, we could have 9 guys on rookie scale contracts and MAJOR cap room by 2020.

You know what that is? Process Southeast!!!
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#1125 » by Dat2U » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:27 am

So let's dump everyone to get draft picks just so we can watch Ernie attempt to build up what he eventually will destroy again.

No, no and no! I won't go through with it. I'm not just to waste my time with another Grunfeld rebuild.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: RE: Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXV 

Post#1126 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:36 pm

keynote wrote:
prime1time wrote:The question as to whether or not the Wizards are better than Wall is irrelevant. The Wizards are clearly NOT good enough with Wall to justify keeping him on off the trade block.

This. I'm coming around to the conclusion that the team needs to be blown up. I like Wall, Beal, and Porter, but I don't they can be the top three players on a championship team. More importantly, we have one of the least athletic big man rotations in the league, and they're only going to get worse. We have neither the assets nor the cap space to invest in improving that area.

If the team doesn't get out of the second round, I think Ted should strongly consider a reboot. If that means trading Wall -- so be it.
Three reasons why Wall should be the first one of the three to go in my opinion:

1. Knee issues and him being a speed player.
2. Super max contract is the most expensive.
3. He is the oldest of the three maximum contract players.

Wall can bring something significant back in trade. I do not see him as a championship-caliber point guard. I can easily see both Beal and Porter being part of a championship team.

Teams that I would be looking at shopping Wall to include Charlotte.(Kemba and Cody), Portland, Phoenix, San Antonio, both LA teams, Sacramento and Chicago.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1127 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:39 pm

adarsh1 wrote:Love Wall, and he hasn't been the problem. The problem has been Ted and Ernie's inability to put a contending team around him when he was on a relatively cheap deal. Now that he's going to be making Max Money going forward, that is damn near an impossibility. History looks kindly on the 2010's Blazers, 2000's Hawks, the 1990's Hawks and Cavaliers, and the 1980s Bucks right?

Denver is the number one team the Wizards need to talk to.

They just missed the playoffs. They are probably desperate to do something. They have a ton of players that Wizards can use.

John Wall might be considered a superstar but I would trade him in a heartbeat for Millsap and Barton and any guard the Nuggets want to give up.

Will Barton is testing free agency but I believe he can be signed and traded.
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/04/06/report-will-barton-rejected-four-year-42-million-contract-extension-from-nuggets-before-season/
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1128 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Wiz99 wrote:I’m done with these bums. All of em.

Brooks. Fired.

Ernie “accidentally” hit by a bus driven by a select squad of RealGMers who claim they didn’t see him the first second or third time they drove over him.

Wall to Sacramento for Randolph and Shumpert (don’t resign after 2019) and Sac’s 2018 and 2021 firsts. Why for Sac? They’re morons. And they get a legit put-butts-in-the-seats guy they haven’t had since forever. And 2021 just seems so far away, doesn’t it?

Beal to Cleveland for JR Smith and Kyle Korver (don’t resign after 2020) plus Cavs firsts this year and 2022. Why for Cleveland? Induce LeBron to stay by acquiring a “sweet shooting All Star SG” rather than drafting a rookie this yr and who cares about 2022 because LeBron will be 37 then.

Otto to Brooklyn for DeMare & Linsanity (don’t resign after 2019) plus Nets 2019 & 2020 firsts. Why for Nets? They’re morons. And Otto gives them a top 5-ish SF to rebuild around.

Wiz have 3 firsts in this draft ( #6, #7, #17) and 6 more in following 3 yrs (several in lotto from Sac, Nets, we might bottom out and add 1 of our own in 2019). We are free of most of the Wall, Beal & Porter contracts by end of next season and fully by 2020. Meanwhile, we could have 9 guys on rookie scale contracts and MAJOR cap room by 2020.

I love the Wall to Sacramento idea. They send him to a team out west so that he does not kill the Wizards forever. We won't have to watch him in the championship anytime soon. Zach Randolph is exactly what the Wizards need in the middle. If nothing else he is still tough. I also think Sacramento can give up Frank Mason Jr or another guard that can help the Wizards. This one has merit. It returns a first-round pick that can easily be used for a great player. Give up Wall and get Mo Bamba or Jaren Jackson Jr? Where do I sign for that? That is the only way to give up John Wall--for a lottery pick+experience+cap relief while sending him to a team that will not continue to beat the hell out of the Wizards like Cleveland. Even exchanging Willie Cauley-Stein for somebody like Mahinmi while also getting talent and cap relief will help.

I think the idea of trading Beal to the Cleveland Cavaliers is insane. It is worse than the Rip Hamilton to Detroit trade. The guy's going to kill you and be a champion and you will have enabled Cleveland to continue to stomp on the Wizards neck. If Beal played with LeBron that would just not be fair.

I think the Wizards need to hang on to Otto Porter.

I like brainstorming but I don't see any way they acquire more than one additional pick.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1129 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Dat2U wrote:So let's dump everyone to get draft picks just so we can watch Ernie attempt to build up what he eventually will destroy again.

No, no and no! I won't go through with it. I'm not just to waste my time with another Grunfeld rebuild.
Word.

The safest bet since Ernie is probably the GM for life is to hope he's got the wisdom to keep the damn pick.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1130 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 pm

youngWizzy wrote:

Don't the nuggets start Jamal Murray at point. Wall at shooting guard alongside Murray would certainly be a worse fit especially alongside Jokic.

Regardless, the hard truth is Ernie never trade Wall in the near future because the team has been very loyal to him for years and extremely committed to build around him even while being unsuccessful for some/most part. Wall also brings fans (while few) to Capital One Arena and flipping him for say anyone from Phoenix/Denver will certainly decrease our attendance which already ranks at the bottom of the league. The only hope for this team is to build through the draft/trade and hope maybe a 1st or 2nd round picks pan out. We certainly cannot afford a big name free agent nor can we lure them to D.C anyways. The team needs more 2nd round picks to fill this roster and hopefully we can develop players into viable assets in the future. Bottom line, trading Wall is not necessary if we put the right pieces around him. The problem is these pieces are extremely hard to acquire other than through the draft/trade.
I think all they really need to do is to buy two additional second round picks. Sign three second-round picks and send the lower 2 to work on two-way contracts. I see more than 3 sure-fire second-rounders. Way more.

If the Wizards were really sharp, they could actually trade this first round pick along with Ian Mahinmi salary and still make out like bandits. The way to do that is with second round picks. Picks between 30 and about 45 to 47 invariably return good players if the GM and scouting are on point.

Players like Aaron Baynes might help better than depending on the middle of those drafted first round.
Bye bye Beal.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#1131 » by queridiculo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Draft, free agency, trades, it all starts with firing Ernie.

truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#1132 » by truwizfan4evr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:34 pm

queridiculo wrote:Draft, free agency, trades, it all starts with firing Ernie.

Exactly I'm not excited about the pick while we have Ernie knowing him he ends up giving it away for some vet.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
Wiz99
Analyst

Post#1133 » by Wiz99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Dat2U wrote:So let's dump everyone to get draft picks just so we can watch Ernie attempt to build up what he eventually will destroy again.

You missed my suggestion about Grunfeld: Ernie “accidentally” hit by a bus driven by a select squad of RealGMers who claim they didn’t see him the first second or third time they drove over him.
Wiz99
Analyst

Post#1134 » by Wiz99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Brooks. Fired.

I love the Wall to Sacramento idea. They send him to a team out west so that he does not kill the Wizards forever. We won't have to watch him in the championship anytime soon. Zach Randolph is exactly what the Wizards need in the middle. If nothing else he is still tough. I also think Sacramento can give up Frank Mason Jr or another guard that can help the Wizards. This one has merit. It returns a first-round pick that can easily be used for a great player. Give up Wall and get Mo Bamba or Jaren Jackson Jr? Where do I sign for that? That is the only way to give up John Wall--for a lottery pick+experience+cap relief while sending him to a team that will not continue to beat the hell out of the Wizards like Cleveland. Even exchanging Willie Cauley-Stein for somebody like Mahinmi while also getting talent and cap relief will help.

I think the idea of trading Beal to the Cleveland Cavaliers is insane. It is worse than the Rip Hamilton to Detroit trade. The guy's going to kill you and be a champion and you will have enabled Cleveland to continue to stomp on the Wizards neck. If Beal played with LeBron that would just not be fair.

I think the Wizards need to hang on to Otto Porter.

I like brainstorming but I don't see any way they acquire more than one additional pick.

With a clear ceiling on this squad as currently constructed, why WOULDN’T we blow it up if:

(A) Ernie wasn’t at the head of the rebuild, and

(B) You could get out of cap hell and have 9 first round picks, probably 4-5 in lotto, over next 4 years?

Let LeBron age out of competitiveness, GSW eventually break up over salaries, while we build a Philly-esque squad of young phenoms? I’d rather get a whole lot worse for a few years than keep riding this train of heartbreak and broken dreams.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#1135 » by nate33 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:47 pm

Brooks. Fired.

Cap room doesn't do much good unless you are team where top tier free agents want to play. That condition wouldn't exist if we traded away all of our good young players.

I'd focus on Step 1 of your plan. Just trade Wall for whatever we can get back. Beal and Porter are still young and on the upswing of their careers. I'd keep them along with Oubre and Sato our 2017 pick and rebuild around that young core. If an opportunity presents itself to trade Beal for good value, I'd entertain it, but I wouldn't approach it as if dumping Beal was a prerequisite of the rebuild. I wouldn't be looking to trade Porter at all. I love the guy and think he's going to keep getting better.

Also note that Beal and Porter's big contracts end in 2021. If we're rebuilding, I wouldn't expect to be in a position to make a big free agency more until then anyhow, so their expensive contracts aren't really hurting us.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1136 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:56 pm

What Nate said....!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1137 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:00 pm

OTOH, I don't disagree w/ this either.

This team will never be anything but a middle of the road team that does great to win in the upper 40's & get to R2. Like Dat, I don't want to live through another round of Grunfield's lazy, conceited, haphazard work.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#1138 » by youngWizzy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
youngWizzy wrote:

I think all they really need to do is to buy two additional second round picks. Sign three second-round picks and send the lower 2 to work on two-way contracts. I see more than 3 sure-fire second-rounders. Way more.

If the Wizards were really sharp, they could actually trade this first round pick along with Ian Mahinmi salary and still make out like bandits. The way to do that is with second round picks. Picks between 30 and about 45 to 47 invariably return good players if the GM and scouting are on point.

Players like Aaron Baynes might help better than depending on the middle of those drafted first round.

This bothers me a lot that people like Baynes and other under the radar free agents get super cheap contracts but are still reliable players, yet we never go after them. These are the type of players the Wizards need to go after. These names just pop off at the top of my head. 1. Richuan Holmes, Dewayne Dedmond, Ilyasova, Khem Birch, Reggie Bullock, Anthony Tolliver, Ed Davis, etc.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#1139 » by Dat2U » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:21 pm

Brooks. Fired.

There's really nothing wrong with our top 3 guys - well other than the last 2 years of Wall's deal. Wall when healthy, Beal & Porter are all top 50 players in the NBA. If any three were free agents THIS YEAR they would ALL get MAX money. They are all still young with Wall being only 27 and Beal & Porter both 24. Even Sato at 26 & Oubre at 22 offer additional optimism.

The problem is with the rest of the roster, especially with what we have masquerading at C. Gortat at 34 & Smith at 32 with a yr left on their deals and Mahinmi at 31 with 2 years left on his. All old-school style centers who get run off the floor by any bigs with perimeter skills. That's good ol' Ernie right there. Even after last year when Horford & Olynyk basically won the series for the Celtics last year by killing our bigs for never fully committing to guard the perimeter, Ernie did nothing to address the issue this past offseason.

We have our default veteran leader in Morris who can't go two minutes without taking a play off or failing to challenge a shot. He's arguably one of the lowest energy bigs In the league. Often times when our defense goes to crap, he's the reason why. One weak link in the chain makes everything else fall apart.

Then you got veteran slop or young guys that have no shot filling out the rest of the roster. We could replace Sessions, Frazier, Meeks, Scott, McCullough with anyone out of the D-league and probably improve.

So 1/3 of the roster is our young but experienced core from 22-27. 2 all-stars, one advanced stat all-star, a very good role player and a developing role player.

The other 2/3 of the roster is utter crap and in 2-3 years there's a good chance that all but Markieff will be out of the league altogether.

So do we blow up the young core that's very good. Or do you try to address the 2/3 of the roster that's gawd awful?

I'd go the latter. We're much better with a healthy Wall - I'm not talking about the guy moving at half speed at the beginning of this year. Despite what our record says. Despite most of the roster being crap. With a healthy Wall we'd probably win over 50 games this year with Otto, Sato & Oubre's development.
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1140 » by Shanghai Kid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:34 pm

That's kind of where I'm at. I can't get excited about a complete rebuild with Ernie as the GM.

Return to Washington Wizards