Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXV 

Post#1561 » by Rafael122 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:36 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Sorry, I don't see this. If we trade Wall it is because we recognize that this generation of the Wizards has no shot whatever at a title -- not even at the Finals, not even at the EC Finals (& if you don't recognize that fact, you're just not paying attention -- Philly/Boston own the East going forward for several years).

So... what do I want with Mike Conley, good player though he is? He makes way too much money.

What I want is to 1) get rid of my horrific salary load & 2) acquire as many picks as possible.

Then hire a good GM & start re-working the team so that we can hope to peak in 3-5 years.

I'm not for trading Wall, but another reason why you do is if you believe he is not the leader you think he is and the problem in the locker room. Once again, I'm not saying he is or he isn't but it kind of feels like the Gilbert years again, good but not great, something happens, break it up and start over.

John's always been the one to be pretty straight forward.

The comments about "everybody eats" and "great team win" really rubbed him the wrong way b/c as it was shown later on, this team is **** without him on the floor. By the end of it, Beal was basically begging for Wall to come back. There's nothing more annoying than Gortat's passive aggressive comments which he then denies had nothing to do with Wall (sure). I never quite get this board and the local media sometimes for always trying to trade your stars for scraps. Harper is probably leaving, Ovechkin is nearing the end of his career and may never win a cup, Wall was drafted, developed and signed long term and people still want him gone and traded for Mike Conley and 1 Achilles heel. Come on man lol.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1562 » by Dat2U » Thu May 17, 2018 7:52 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Sorry, I don't see this. If we trade Wall it is because we recognize that this generation of the Wizards has no shot whatever at a title -- not even at the Finals, not even at the EC Finals (& if you don't recognize that fact, you're just not paying attention -- Philly/Boston own the East going forward for several years).

So... what do I want with Mike Conley, good player though he is? He makes way too much money.

What I want is to 1) get rid of my horrific salary load & 2) acquire as many picks as possible.

Then hire a good GM & start re-working the team so that we can hope to peak in 3-5 years.

I'm not for trading Wall, but another reason why you do is if you believe he is not the leader you think he is and the problem in the locker room. Once again, I'm not saying he is or he isn't but it kind of feels like the Gilbert years again, good but not great, something happens, break it up and start over.

And then we get to do it all again in another 6-8 years with Grunfeld!!!! Woooooohooooooooooo!

Why break it up? So Ernie can rebuild it and draft guys that over time will become spoiled and entitled? Lets face it, the real problem is the culture. We had the same culture issues with the Arenas/Butler/Jamison trio that we do now. That team was incredibly entitled by the end and not likable even before gungate. So i have little interest in blowing anything up while Ernie is still employed.

As for Payit... he obviously has a crystal ball that predicts the future. With that said, it's clear that Golden State will when titles for the next 5 years and then Boston & Philadelphia will split the next half decade after that winning titles. So clearly there's no point in trying to be good for the foreseeable future.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#1563 » by gravytrain24 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Dat2U wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:

And then we get to do it all again in another 6-8 years with Grunfeld!!!! Woooooohooooooooooo!

Why break it up? So Ernie can rebuild it and draft guys that over time will become spoiled and entitled? Lets face it, the real problem is the culture. We had the same culture issues with the Arenas/Butler/Jamison trio that we do now. That team was incredibly entitled by the end and not likable even before gungate. So i have little interest in blowing anything up while Ernie is still employed.

As for Payit... he obviously has a crystal ball that predicts the future. With that said, it's clear that Golden State will when titles for the next 5 years and then Boston & Philadelphia will split the next half decade after that winning titles. So clearly there's no point in trying to be good for the foreseeable future.

So you're saying keep that bad culture and have the prime of your star player go to waste. Either way the Wizards are screwed for multiple years b/c of GM whether it be the status quo or a rebuild.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1564 » by Dat2U » Thu May 17, 2018 8:13 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:I'm not for trading Wall, but another reason why you do is if you believe he is not the leader you think he is and the problem in the locker room. Once again, I'm not saying he is or he isn't but it kind of feels like the Gilbert years again, good but not great, something happens, break it up and start over.

So you're saying keep that bad culture and have the prime of your star player go to waste. Either way the Wizards are screwed for multiple years b/c of GM whether it be the status quo or a rebuild.

No, I'm saying the culture won't change b/c the players changed. We have a completely different roster from the Arenas era but many of the exact same problems. We blow up the team, the players Ernie drafts in 5-6 years will become the same spoiled & entitled guys we had in the Arenas era and Wall era.

Personally, I don't think Ernie will have this type of luck where he lands a #1 pick and manages not to screw up two other top 3 picks. People seem to assume it's easy to find, develop or trade for core talent. It isn't. We've got 3 really good players. The problem is everything surrounding these 3. I'd be remiss to blow it up just yet. If we had a healthy Otto vs. Toronto we could still be playing right now.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1565 » by DCZards » Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
John's always been the one to be pretty straight forward.

The comments about "everybody eats" and "great team win" really rubbed him the wrong way b/c as it was shown later on, this team is **** without him on the floor. By the end of it, Beal was basically begging for Wall to come back. There's nothing more annoying than Gortat's passive aggressive comments which he then denies had nothing to do with Wall (sure). I never quite get this board and the local media sometimes for always trying to trade your stars for scraps. Harper is probably leaving, Ovechkin is nearing the end of his career and may never win a cup, Wall was drafted, developed and signed long term and people still want him gone and traded for Mike Conley and 1 Achilles heel. Come on man lol.

I don’t get it either Raf. Wall is not untradeable but it’s crazy to think that you can ship an all-star out of town and draft 2-3 young players with “potential, measurables and good college #s” and think that a few years from now you’re going to be contending for the ECF and NBA championship.

There are a ton of NBA teams that have had top draft picks in recent years only to find themselves still at or near the bottom of the NBA standings. People shouldn’t be fooled by the 76ers example, rebuilding ain’t that easy.

I’ve regularly pointed out Wall’s flaws and I also question his leadership skills. But I never question his desire to win. High-level talent like Wall’s is not standing outside the locker room door waiting to walk in and lead the Zards to the championship.

I think you build around Wall (warts and all) if possible. It’s obvious that you need all-stars (elite players if possible) to win. Well, the Zards have two all-stars and possibly a third in Otto. Let’s continue to develop them and find that other piece or two that’s needed to be competitive with the Phillys and Bostons of the world.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#1566 » by NatP4 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:32 pm

That sounds great and all but Wall is set to make 37-47 mill per year for his age 29, 30, 31, and 32 year old seasons on a capped out fringe playoff team. It makes perfect sense to trade him and it’s not ridiculous to think that with a top 3 pick plus a **** load of cap space, we could stay competitive or be even better.

You can prefer the keeping wall and trying to fix things route and not think the other way is ridiculous, because it’s not. Maybe some of you haven’t paid much attention to the prospects at the top of the draft but there’s a real good chance (100%) Doncic at his rookie scale deal is going to be 100000x a better value than Wall on a Supermax deal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#1567 » by Rafael122 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:41 pm

NatP4 wrote:That sounds great and all but Wall is set to make 37-47 mill per year for his age 29, 30, 31, and 32 year old seasons on a capped out fringe playoff team. It makes perfect sense to trade him and it’s not ridiculous to think that with a top 3 pick plus a **** load of cap space, we could stay competitive or be even better.

You can prefer the keeping wall and trying to fix things route and not think the other way is ridiculous, because it’s not. Maybe some of you haven’t paid much attention to the prospects at the top of the draft but there’s a real good chance (100%) Doncic at his rookie scale deal is going to be 100000x a better value than Wall on a Supermax deal.

Dude the problem is twofold:

1. No one will want to trade him b/c of said contract
2. If they do, it will involve injured guys like Mike Conley. I'm sure Memphis would love to get out of that deal, they would love to trade a guy on the wrong side of 30 making a ton of $, who's played in 137 out of a possible 246 games the last 3 seasons for a playmaking point guard who's still in his prime.

Then I see trades for Parsons + 4 for Beal. Parsons literally can't play back to back games, his knees are absolutely shot but let's go ahead and trade a 24 year Bradley Beal just so that we can draft Jaren Jackson.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't trade anyone. Realistically? Otto is probably the one who gets moved.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1568 » by NatP4 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 pm

I just said that Memphis would be more likely to do that deal. They need a 2 guard. I’ve never understood the thinking behind a Beal trade other than just a shake up type of move that brings in another star player (like Kawhi)

What is the perfect world? we draft our Clint Capela at 15 and plug him in next to Wall Beal Oubre and Porter and become GS lite, but we would still be capped out and have no bench, with Oubre and Sato due for new deals next year, With Boston and Philly completely loaded with assets and talent.

Or

We trade Wall to avoid the Supermax bill, find a good stopgap PG and acquire another high lottery pick, take a potential superstar player on a rookie deal and have far more flexibility going forward to build a bench.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1569 » by Ruzious » Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:That sounds great and all but Wall is set to make 37-47 mill per year for his age 29, 30, 31, and 32 year old seasons on a capped out fringe playoff team. It makes perfect sense to trade him and it’s not ridiculous to think that with a top 3 pick plus a **** load of cap space, we could stay competitive or be even better.

2. If they do, it will involve injured guys like Mike Conley. I'm sure Memphis would love to get out of that deal, they would love to trade a guy on the wrong side of 30 making a ton of $, who's played in 137 out of a possible 246 games the last 3 seasons for a playmaking point guard who's still in his prime.

Then I see trades for Parsons + 4 for Beal. Parsons literally can't play back to back games, his knees are absolutely shot but let's go ahead and trade a 24 year Bradley Beal just so that we can draft Jaren Jackson.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't trade anyone. Realistically? Otto is probably the one who gets moved.

If we could get Jaren Jackson and another asset for Beal, I'd do it. he has a chance to become one of the top handfull of players in basketball, imo. If I had the first pick in the draft, I wouldn't hesitate to pick him. Having said that, I think he's much more likely to be the 4th pick than the 1st - so I'd look at either Memphis or Atlanta. Neither team seems to have much direction - so ya never know, but I'd be surprised if any trade could be worked out that would land JJJ on the Wiz.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: RE: Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXV 

Post#1570 » by dangermouse » Fri May 18, 2018 5:59 am

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
I’d throw Mahinmi and our 2019 1st at NO and see what happens.

Assuming you can sign him for Mahinmi money at only 2 years. You’d probably get a year and a half of him, players are recovering more quickly from Achilles tears nowadays. 75% boogie is still pretty productive.

My argument against his ridiculous inefficiency, 5 turnovers a game, bad attitude, NO being significantly better without him would be this: he’s never really played in a small ball spacing system, played next to AD, played with two centers on a horrible team in SAC, what would he look like next to Wall-Beal-Oubre-Porter? He would obviously be better than Gortat/Mahinmi/Morris/Mike Scott. I mean we literally were using a Scott/Morris frontcourt in the playoffs, you can’t do worse than that.

I tried
Big black man will always be labeled having a bad attitude if he looks like cousins.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]

C'mon CCJ. That's a stretch. The NBA is chock full of big black men. Nobody thinks they all have bad attitudes.

Perhaps he meant that kind of look he has. He is reminiscent of a young Zach Randolph when he was on the Jail Blazers.

But seriously though, he has earned his reputation.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1571 » by Dat2U » Fri May 18, 2018 4:37 pm

A high pick is fine. I'm ok with trading Wall if there is a clear pathway to replace Wall with an elite talent. A high draft pick fits that criteria.

What I don't want to see are these horrible suggestions such as Teague/Dieng, Schroder or some other C-level veteran and/or mid-level picks that doom us to No-Where's-Ville.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1572 » by Dat2U » Fri May 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Rafael122 wrote:

Don't sleep on Jaren Jackson Jr. IMO he's a blue chip prospect and will eventually be an all-star quality anchor in the front court. However I really don't want to give up Beal for him. Now if the deal was Otto for Parsons/4th I would be all over it. I'd also consider dealing Wall if it got us Doncic or Jackson.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1573 » by Dat2U » Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 pm

NatP4 wrote:I just said that Memphis would be more likely to do that deal. They need a 2 guard. I’ve never understood the thinking behind a Beal trade other than just a shake up type of move that brings in another star player (like Kawhi)

What is the perfect world? we draft our Clint Capela at 15 and plug him in next to Wall Beal Oubre and Porter and become GS lite, but we would still be capped out and have no bench, with Oubre and Sato due for new deals next year, With Boston and Philly completely loaded with assets and talent.

Or

We trade Wall to avoid the Supermax bill, find a good stopgap PG and acquire another high lottery pick, take a potential superstar player on a rookie deal and have far more flexibility going forward to build a bench.

If we could land Zhaire Smith with our pick, I'd plug and play Smith in Oubre's spot and go from there. Smith is a bit smaller than Oubre but is plenty long and has the b-ball IQ and character to make an immediate impact defensively and on the boards.

Another question is what pick could we get for Sato? He's not valued here by the coaching staff. It makes sense to cash in the asset at its highest value and get another guy on a rookie deal.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1574 » by 80sballboy » Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

Don't sleep on Jaren Jackson Jr. IMO he's a blue chip prospect and will eventually be an all-star quality anchor in the front court. However I really don't want to give up Beal for him. Now if the deal was Otto for Parsons/4th I would be all over it. I'd also consider dealing Wall if it got us Doncic or Jackson.

I don't get the Parsons deal. I wouldn't mind the fourth pick obviously but he still has two years left on that deal. Parson has become basically a stretch 4 role player who can shoot the 3 and do little else while missing about 90 games over the last two seasons.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1575 » by NatP4 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

I don't get the Parsons deal. I wouldn't mind the fourth pick obviously but he still has two years left on that deal. Parson has become basically a stretch 4 role player who can shoot the 3 and do little else while missing about 90 games over the last two seasons.

It’s just about getting a stop gap semi useful player back as salary filler and getting the 4th pick. Doncic and Jackson are can’t miss prospects.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1576 » by Dat2U » Fri May 18, 2018 4:53 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

The deal has nothing to do with Parsons from the Wizards standpoint. It's all about the pick. On the other hand, I'm sure Memphis would have extra motivation to move the pick if Parsons was going out in the deal.
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#1577 » by JAR69 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Dat2U wrote:

A high pick is fine. I'm ok with trading Wall if there is a clear pathway to replace Wall with an elite talent. A high draft pick fits that criteria.

What I don't want to see are these horrible suggestions such as Teague/Dieng, Schroder or some other C-level veteran and/or mid-level picks that doom us to No-Where's-Ville.

What happened to the Wall-Ball ideas from around the deadline? If LA goes into win-now mode and signs Paul George and another top FA (LBJ?), I could see them being willing to take on the risk and expense of the last few years of Wall's contract. One big downside for us is that I think we would have to take Deng's contract back to make it workable for LA. I could see something built around Wall/Smith/Meeks for Ball/Deng/Thomas Bryant (I'm a fan - Hoosier thing - but look at some of his G-league tape)/Hart and/or first round draft pick. It doesn't open up any cap room next year (unless we use the acquired Hart or a pick to offload Mahinmi or Gortat), but it gets us a potential elite talent, depending on what you think of Ball (I like him, but I haven't watched much). And it may give us some cap space in 2019-20, again depending on what happens with Mahinmi and/or stretching Deng, and more going forward.

The trade would have to wait until July 26, but since it wouldn't depend on LA's cap space with Deng included that wouldn't be a problem.

Next year:

Ball/Sato
Beal/Hart
Otto/Oubre
Morris/Otto/(Very well-rested) Deng
???/???/Bryant

Plus 15th pick.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1578 » by 80sballboy » Fri May 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Dat2U wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

The deal has nothing to do with Parsons from the Wizards standpoint. It's all about the pick. On the other hand, I'm sure Memphis would have extra motivation to move the pick if Parsons was going out in the deal.

I get your point but I would hope to get a better deal. I wouldn't want Parsons or any other scrub to make $24M this year and $25M next season to give us no flexibility. Isn't that the real issue? We need to trade one of the Big 3 to save more under the cap and lux tax after Wall's mega-deal starts in 2019-20?
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1579 » by Illmatic12 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:51 pm

NatP4 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

It’s just about getting a stop gap semi useful player back as salary filler and getting the 4th pick. Doncic and Jackson are can’t miss prospects.

Doncic isn’t a cant-miss prospect, if he was then he’d be the consensus #1

I don’t want to put my fortunes in a wing/guard who lacks athleticism and cannot defend at a high level. I see more of a flashier Hedo Turkoglu type career for him (which is fine, but not with a top 3 pick)

Jackson on the other hand looks like he’ll be the perfect modern center, imo he is the highest upside big man in the draft.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1580 » by NatP4 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

Doncic isn’t a cant-miss prospect, if he was then he’d be the consensus #1

I don’t want to put my fortunes in a wing/guard who lacks athleticism and cannot defend at a high level. I see more of a flashier Hedo Turkoglu type career for him (which is fine, but not with a top 3 pick)

Jackson on the other hand looks like he’ll be the perfect modern center, imo he is the highest upside big man in the draft.

Doncic led the euroleague in net rating and RPM as a 17 year old. He’s an excellent defender, like Satoransky, not elite lateral quickness, but smart and great effort, which is far more important.

He’s going to be the best player from the draft IMO.

Return to Washington Wizards