It'll be Luol Deng, Ball, and Ingram most likely for Kawhi
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXV 

Post#2002 » by verbal8 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:44 pm

NatP4 wrote:Parsons+4 for Gortat+Morris+Smith+15

Take Jaren Jackson

Yeah I think this would be a very good move for the Wizards. I think they don't get to dump Smith, but I think this could be a realistic back-up plan is the Grizzlies don't find an offer of pure cap space.

The timing may actually be in favor of this deal vs. some team sitting out FAs to get the #4 pick. On the Grizzlies side, they should at worst be looking at adding a 2nd to move either Gortat or Morris for cap space.

I don't really get the urgency with the Grizzlies in getting out of the Parsons contract. He can't stay healthy, but even if his salary goes away they likely don't get much effective cap space. And their salary situation isn't in much danger of the tax.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#2003 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:45 pm

The Lakers have about $67M in cap space next season and that counts Deng's deal. So I'm guessing PG13, possibly LeBron, CP3. Trade for Kawhi?
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#2004 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Dark Faze wrote:It'll be Luol Deng, Ball, and Ingram most likely for Kawhi

Yeah, might be picks involved and that would allow the now brittle CP3 to head to LA with LeBron playing point when CP3 is out.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#2005 » by Dat2U » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:48 pm

If I'm the Spurs... why would i take on Deng? That's the Lakers problem. I'd play hard ball and ask for the moon. The Lakers will be desperate b/c landing Kawhi likely means LeBron too.

As for the Wizards, this likely ends the Wall for Ball + Ingram ideas. Both are likely going to SA in any deal.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#2006 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:51 pm

80sballboy wrote:

Yeah, might be picks involved and that would allow the now brittle CP3 to head to LA with LeBron playing point when CP3 is out.

I'd be shocked if CP dipped on Harden after his soft body was the reason they didn't make the finals. The big 3 will be George, LeBron, and Kawhi. The Lakers would probably prefer George over CP anyway. CP is injury prone. I think the starting lineup will be:

LeBron
Kawhi
George
Kuzma
Thomas Bryant
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#2007 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Dat2U wrote:

If I'm the Spurs... why would i take on Deng? That's the Lakers problem. I'd play hard ball and ask for the moon. The Lakers will be desperate b/c landing Kawhi likely means LeBron too.

As for the Wizards, this likely ends the Wall for Ball + Ingram ideas. Both are likely going to SA in any deal.

Kawhi only has 1 year on deal and injury ?. I'f i'm the spurs I say F Kawhi's preferences and deal him to whoever makes the best deal.

Lakers are about to deplete their depth/rebuilding process and build a pathetic 2nd round exit opponent for GS.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#2008 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Otto+15 is better than any other package they will get IMO
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#2009 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Dat2U wrote:

Buford can read the tea leaves. He's not going to try to win now with the state of the West. Dengs salary is meaningless in a tanking scenario.

The Wizards might be able to get Aldridge for expirings...but I don't know if he'd want to come East. He's a big west coast guy. I think Aldridge gets moved this summer.

I also wouldn't be shocked if OKC blew it up. There are a number of teams that should probably consider that...Portland too.

The real wild card is Boston...but it would probably take Tatum being involved in a deal and I don't see Ainge doing that. I also don't see the Spurs being interested in Kyrie.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#2010 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Now Sacramento wants to trade the No. 2 pick for an "established star player". Spurs should stick it to Kawhi and send him there.

Read on Twitter
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#2011 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Porter, Oubre, and 2018 pick for KL? I feel like SA would think Porter would thrive in their system.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#2012 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:23 pm

its time to tank

firesale lads
NatP4
RealGM

Post#2013 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:46 pm

our core is 28/24/24/21/26, we have all of our picks going forward. Why would we tank?

reload maybe, but why tank?
NatP4
RealGM

Post#2014 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:54 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Porter, Oubre, and 2018 pick for KL? I feel like SA would think Porter would thrive in their system.

for one year of Kawhi? would we even be better in that one season?

I would much rather have a soon to be RFA Oubre, the 15th overall pick on a rookie deal, Otto for 2 more years.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#2015 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:35 pm

NatP4 wrote:our core is 28/24/24/21/26, we have all of our picks going forward. Why would we tank?

reload maybe, but why tank?

It's mostly due to the strength of this draft. If you can land #4, #9, and #14 by sending out Wall, Brad, and Otto, then we'd probably be a 50 win team within three years.

Doncic
Smith
Oubre
Carter
Williams

+ max cap space within a few years.

Like, it's a no brainer.

Edit: Choosing which 4 guys to draft is insanely hard btw. Should probably go with Bamba over Doncic. Idk
NatP4
RealGM

Post#2016 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:45 pm

we've been discussing Oubre for 14 (nuggets fans think its fair) surely we can do better than that. You can probably trade both Beal or Porter for #4.

for discussion sake, at 4&9&14&15 I'm taking Doncic, Carter, Smith, Okobo.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#2017 » by Shoe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Dark Faze wrote:its time to tank

firesale lads

LeBron is going out west -- if we hit a home run with #15 we still have a shot to make it to the finals. Our core is locked down through 2021, when they'll be 28, 28, and 31; and Brad and Otto will still have trade value for the next few years.

We just need to focus on getting a more athletic front court, since Wall has never played with one in his entire career (JaVale and who else?).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#2018 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 pm

If we can trade for Kawhi, I think Beal and Oubre should be the package - guys like Otto are too hard to find. Beal could be replaced by ZSmith or Donte D - among others. And... Beal seems to have more trade value - he's a young all-star who scores 23 points a game. Lineup:

1. Wall, Lawson
2. Donte D (and that's with a trade down adding a high 2nd), Meeks
3. Kawhi, Sato
4. Otto, Morris
5. Gortat, Mahinmi

And we'll have 2 2nd rounders to add depth - I'd go Carter and Colson. Sign the PF from Marshall as an undrafted free agent. If you can't find roster depth from this draft class, you're hopeless.

We'll still be behind Boston and Philly, but we'll be with Toronto as 3rd best in the East - ahead of Milwaukee and Indiana. Philly's still inexperienced and might not be ready in the playoffs. Boston isn't unbeatable - particularly with their 2 bigs in their 30's - Horford could lose another step. They'd be just another very good team in the West. Washington could sneak in.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#2019 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Error Afflalo wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:Here's an off-beat trade idea. Not sure I'm recommending it, but I'd love some reactions.

Philadelphia Out, Wizards In: #26, #38, Holmes (1y, 1.6m)
Philadelphia In, Wizards Out: #15, Mahinmi (2y, 31.4m)

Why for Philly: gets another lottery pick to package with #10 to move up for Jaren Jackson or Luka Doncic, while they retain sufficient flexibility next off-season to go after Kawhi.

Why for Wizards: Get rid of Mahinmi's boat anchor contract, & get out of the luxury tax. Get 3 young players for 1 in a deep draft. Cost is moving back 11 spots in R1.

Is this an equitable trade? Philly gets enough out of the deal to be interested? How about the Wizards? If Philly is giving too much for the benefit they receive, it would be hard to make the deal fairer. If we are, then it could be made fairer by Philly including another R2 pick.

Thoughts?

I think it makes a lot of sense for both teams - if Philly is looking to move up for a specific player that would give them enough motivation to accept taking on Mahinmi's contract. It all depends on how motivated Philly is to trade up. Well done, sir.

I don't think it makes sense for Philly at all. They'd take themselves out of the Lebron sweepstakes with that move, not to mention Holmes is younger and more useful than Mahinmi while making 1/12th of his salary.

Embiid's max extension kicks in next season. Surely no GM would be dumb enough to pay two centers who can't play together eight figures, right? Oh wait... :(

What the money (M's contract) means is a function of a franchise's ability to pay. Most teams couldn't absorb the salary. Philly could. If you value Jaren Jackson extremely high, then it can make sense.

The objection about Lebron makes sense of course -- but only if they are in (or want to be in) "the Lebron sweepstakes." I don't think they are. More importantly, I wouldn't want to be.

Why? B/c the opportunity to win a title comes when GS slips, which won't be this coming year or (likely) not the year after either. Philly is incredibly loaded with young talent (despite the failed pick of Okafor & the foolish trade with Boston last year). They don't need to add a quick-fix superstar, they need to allow their core to grow up & add to it.

That's IMO. Anyone could have a different opinion, of course, but you can see why, given my opinion, the trade makes sense for them. If it's not quite right in terms of weights in the 2 scales, I think that would be easy to fix via R2 picks.

If I see a problem from our POV, it would be if we gave up an important difference in talent/future by dropping from 15 to 26. & we might! That's where I'd be doing my own due diligence.

Anyway... just an idea. Thanks for responding.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM

Post#2020 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:46 pm

I think I would prefer trading Beal to MEM for 4+Parsons over trading for Kawhi.

Jaren Jackson on a rookie deal>Kawhi on a 1 year deal with no guarantee whatsoever of being able to re sign him.

feel good about replacing Beal with a player at 15 whether Smith or Donte D.

best defense in the NBA?

Wall
Smith
Oubre
Porter
Jackson Jr

Return to Washington Wizards