ImageImageImageImageImage

Potential Buyout Candidates

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Re: Potential Buyout Candidates 

Post#181 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Id be fine with williams. But, chris bosh..... its possible if he gets cleared? he would not have to play many minutes here, all he would have to do is come off the bench a little. 10-15 minutes a night.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#182 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Id be fine with williams. But, chris bosh..... its possible if he gets cleared? he would not have to play many minutes here, all he would have to do is come off the bench a little. 10-15 minutes a night.

I'm not all that sure if Bosh would be better than Morris/Scott at PF at this point, but where he could be really useful is as a skilled small-ball center.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#183 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:14 pm

nate33 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Id be fine with williams. But, chris bosh..... its possible if he gets cleared? he would not have to play many minutes here, all he would have to do is come off the bench a little. 10-15 minutes a night.

I'm not all that sure if Bosh would be better than Morris/Scott at PF at this point, but where he could be really useful is as a skilled small-ball center.

That's what I am saying i would much rather give bosh 10 minutes a game at center than mahinmi! bosh was still playing at a high level when his blood clots acted up its not like the man fell off a cliff production wise. He would be a fantastic mid season add, if he could get cleared.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#184 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:15 pm

I don’t guess Bosh wants to come here. He’s ring chasing or going back to one of his former homes, no?

I’d be really intrigued however... Wall, Beal, Oubre, Porter, Bosh small ball lineup could be lethal.

Of course, I think Ted’s trying to get the roster down to about six players to save some sheckles.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#185 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Brandan Wright goes to Houston - awfully good insurance if one of their backup bigs gets hurt.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#186 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:Brandan Wright goes to Houston - awfully good insurance if one of their backup bigs gets hurt.

Thus far, this year, out of all the unrestricted free agents, how many HAVEN’T gone to Houston?
In Rizzo we trust
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#187 » by 80sballboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Read on Twitter
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#188 » by closg00 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hoping for a pleasant surprise
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#189 » by 80sballboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:50 pm

closg00 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Patience is a virtue, right? Cleveland is waiting for Ilyasaova to be released and we have two spots left. Cheap Ted going for biggest bargain in town.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#190 » by closg00 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:33 pm

80sballboy wrote:
closg00 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Patience is a virtue, right? Cleveland is waiting for Ilyasaova to be released and we have two spots left. Cheap Ted going for biggest bargain in town.

We always get the last of the leftovers, no-doubt. Last girl waiting for a dance
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#191 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pm

I'm kinda hoping they don't get anyone. The available veterans leftover after the real contenders get dibs aren't as good as some of the available G-League propects. And I don't want some over-the-hill no-D shot-jacker taking minutes from Sato.

At this point, the only guys who interest me are Chris Bosh and Ty Lawson.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#192 » by 80sballboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:35 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm kinda hoping they don't get anyone. The available veterans leftover after the real contenders get dibs aren't as good as some of the available G-League propects. And I don't want some over-the-hill no-D shot-jacker taking minutes from Sato.

At this point, the only guys who interest me are Chris Bosh and Ty Lawson.

There's something call depth. Briante Weber would not take minutes away from Sato. He might take away from Frazier, which might not be a bad thing if he can score some. We know he can defend. There's no reason not to fill out your roster and at least have somebody there just in case there are injuries. If Chris Bosh is anywhere close to resembling even his last year that he played in 2015-16 and he is cleared by the doctors, he's a no-brainer. But I'd say it's highly unlikely we get him because well.....

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/boshch01.html
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#193 » by payitforward » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51 pm

I hope Bosh stays out of basketball. His health should be his focus.

I think Miami picked up Briante Weber after Houston waived him, no? If they did, & they've bought him out again, what likelihood that he'd be helpful to us.

Ty Lawson is another story. At his peak, he was one of the best PGs in the league. If he's over his booze problem, he'd be a nice player to have at a low price for the next couple of years.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#194 » by 80sballboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Weber is still out there. He's been picked up and dropped several times. Seems like Wiz have spoken to Lawson and his reps but haven't come to a deal. Again, I just want those spots filled by somebody who has some ability or can elevate the bench.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#195 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:19 pm

80sballboy wrote:Weber is still out there. He's been picked up and dropped several times. Seems like Wiz have spoken to Lawson and his reps but haven't come to a deal. Again, I just want those spots filled by somebody who has some ability or can elevate the bench.

If Weber has been picked up and dropped several times, I find it hard to believe that he is better than Frazier. Frazier has been a competent backup for us all season.

Whatever the case, I really don't think this buyout candidate matters much. The bottom line is that this team is 9 deep with quality rotation players who I don't mind appearing in a playoff game: the starters plus Sato, Oubre, Scott and Mahinmi. Any buyout guy we find will probably be at about the same level as our 10th-12th men: Frazier, Meeks and Smith.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#196 » by 80sballboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 pm

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Weber is still out there. He's been picked up and dropped several times. Seems like Wiz have spoken to Lawson and his reps but haven't come to a deal. Again, I just want those spots filled by somebody who has some ability or can elevate the bench.

If Weber has been picked up and dropped several times, I find it hard to believe that he is better than Frazier. Frazier has been a competent backup for us all season.

Whatever the case, I really don't think this buyout candidate matters much. The bottom line is that this team is 9 deep with quality rotation players who I don't mind appearing in a playoff game: the starters plus Sato, Oubre, Scott and Mahinmi. Any buyout guy we find will probably be at about the same level as our 10th-12th men: Frazier, Meeks and Smith.

He probably isn't better than Frazier, but that's not the point. Frazier is fine with me for now and he's not going to play when Wall returns. Why f-ck around with two empty spots on the team when you can add to your depth? You just never know who 's going to get hurt or is playing like crap. What's wrong with having a 10th or 11th guy who has some NBA experience? Personally, I'd rather have a wing who can replace Meeks.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#197 » by DCZards » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

My first choice would be Lawson, assuming he's over his personal issues. Ty was a very good NBA PG not long ago and if he can get back to even close to that he'd be a great pickup. It would also allow Sato to play more backup SG...with the hope that his perimeter shooting continues to improve. From what I read though, Lawson would probably not be available until sometime in early or mid-March.

If not Lawson, I'd like to see the Zards pick up a good shooting wing, assuming there's one out there. This team desperately needs someone better than Meeks. Beal can't continue to play almost 40 mins a game as the team's lead dog without wearing out before the end of the season or, even worse, getting injured.

Bosh is likely out of the question. I seriously doubt that the NBA is going to clear him to play, which is probably a good thing for Chris.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#198 » by payitforward » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:58 pm

80sballboy wrote:... Briante Weber ...might take away from Frazier, which might not be a bad thing if he can score some. ...

I didn't like the trade for Frazier, & I was vocal about it. But, he's playing extremely well -- I don't understand why he gets no love here.

It's true he doesn't score much, but look at everything else -- he's getting assists at only a little below John Wall's career average (i.e. a lot!), per 40 minutes he has only .65 more TOs than steals (Wall is at 2.5 more TOs than steals per 40), & he's a good rebounder for a guard as well. Overall, he is a way above average PG -- particular a backup PG!

At $2m a year, not on a rookie contract, he's one of the biggest bargains in the league.

He hasn't played as well as Sato, but Sato has absolutely killed it this year.

(If Sato has a long career with us, playing at this level, that will be a positive for Ernie, one of a small number, although it won't mean that Sato was the right pick).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#199 » by payitforward » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 am

80sballboy wrote:
nate33 wrote:

He probably isn't better than Frazier, but that's not the point. Frazier is fine with me for now and he's not going to play when Wall returns. Why f-ck around with two empty spots on the team when you can add to your depth? You just never know who 's going to get hurt or is playing like crap. What's wrong with having a 10th or 11th guy who has some NBA experience? Personally, I'd rather have a wing who can replace Meeks.

First off, I think the minimum roster number is 14, so they'll have to sign someone.

That said, there is also the question of the luxury tax. We're not under it, so whoever you bring in contributes to how much tax you pay. Given that the tax is based on the overall $ value of roster salaries viewed as annual, it is quite possible that someone you bring in who has a salary cost of a couple of hundred thousand dollars for the remainder of the season winds up costing you an extra couple of million dollars.

So that's some of what might be "wrong with having a 10th or 11th guy who has some NBA experience" (though if I'm right about the minimum roster count being 14, they will obviously be bringing in at least one player).

I can't see any other reason, given that if you need an emergency player he doesn't have to be on your roster already. GMs talk to agents all the time; they know who's available.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Post#200 » by Kanyewest » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 am

Copied this but apparently these are the rules.

Teams are prohibited from carrying less than 14 players on their roster for longer than 2 weeks.

For the Cavs, Wizards, and Blazers, their two weeks runs out on Thursday. For the Hawks, it's Friday.

They can sign buyout players, free agents, or call up g-leaguers.

10-day contracts are an option, but once that runs out they'll have 2 weeks again to make another move.

Keep in mind that March 1st is the deadline for newly signed players to be playoff eligible.

Return to Washington Wizards