ImageImageImageImageImage

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#601 » by NatP4 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:32 am

Gary Clark better be a wizard somehow after draft night. He's just flat out elite defensively, all 4 years of college. He rebounds and has a developing face up game. Almost reminds me of Serge Ibaka. Or maybe Jerami Grant if he actually rebounded and shot well enough to space the floor.

I really mean ELITE on defense. perfect small ball 4.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#602 » by NatP4 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:38 am

NatP4
RealGM

Post#603 » by NatP4 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:11 am

as of right this moment, my plan of attack at the draft would be this:

1. select Robert Williams at 15
2. trade Oubre for whatever pick gets you Zhaire Smith, having a true lockdown perimeter defender with a high motor and high Bball IQ would be a godsend for this team.
3. select Mo Wagner with the 44th overall pick
4. trade Gortat or Morris for another 2nd and select Malik Newman (way too much upside to pass up)
5. sign Gary Clark as an UDFA to a NBA contract.

Leave the draft with Williams, Smith, Wagner, Newman, Clark all on rookie deals.

the 2018-2019 roster would be sitting at: Wall, Beal, Porter, Morris, Mahinmi, Satoransky, Williams, Smith, Wagner, Newman, Clark, Meeks, Lawson, Smith

Trevor Ariza hits UFA as a 32 year old, they could bring him back for some veteran leadership with the last roster spot.

Wall Sato Lawson
Beal Smith Newman
Porter Ariza
Morris Clark Wagner
Mahinmi Williams Smith
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#604 » by dangermouse » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 am

NatP4 wrote:as of right this moment, my plan of attack at the draft would be this:

2. trade Oubre for whatever pick gets you Zhaire Smith, having a true lockdown perimeter defender with a high motor and high Bball IQ would be a godsend for this team.
4. trade Gortat or Morris for another 2nd and select Malik Newman (way too much upside to pass up)

Leave the draft with Williams, Smith, Wagner, Newman, Clark all on rookie deals.

the 2018-2019 roster would be sitting at: Wall, Beal, Porter, Morris, Mahinmi, Satoransky, Williams, Smith, Wagner, Newman, Clark, Meeks, Lawson, Smith

Trevor Ariza hits UFA as a 32 year old, they could bring him back for some veteran leadership with the last roster spot.

Wall Sato Lawson
Beal Smith Newman
Porter Ariza
Morris Clark Wagner
Mahinmi Williams Smith

Sign me up for keeping Lawson and signing Ariza (if we clear cap to make it so). Defense and 3pt shooting. Allows us (well, forces us but thats good because Brooks is blind to it) to play smaller. Wall/Beal/Athreeza/Porter/Mahinmi....
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#605 » by dangermouse » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 am

I'm glad someone mentioned Lawson really. He's shown he can play with Wall (provided he stays on that wagon). And if he can play with Wall he can play with Sato.

Guard rotation of Wall/Beal/Sato/Lawson is good. We wouldnt need any more Meeks. And we could focus on drafting a big to replace our Fs or Cs.

I don't think theres a Draymond in this draft. But is there maybe a Kuzma?

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#606 » by youngWizzy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Gary Clark will be a good player in the NBA and I am more than sure he will get drafted somewhere in the 2nd round.

"As the video outlines from the Arizona game, Williams often plays too fast, isn't physical enough on either end of the floor, is not a great defensive rebounder, and is very much living off his elite physical tools at the college level to bail out his lack of awareness, polish and experience." - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Robert-Williams-89995/ ©DraftExpress

Williams never developed his game through 2 season at Texas A&M. He has no offensive game whatsoever and not to mention his struggles at the free throw line (47.1%).

The only big man in the 1st round whom would be a good fit and we could acquire is Jontay Porter. For some reason his stock is slipping, I've seen him going to Philadelphia at 26 in many drafts.

Hopefully someone on this board can think of a way we can get Richuan Holmes from Philadelphia as well as one of their 2nd rounders (38th and 39th) to get Gary Clark. Heck even if we can even get Jontay Porter out of this draft also that would be great.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
NatP4
RealGM

Post#607 » by NatP4 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:54 pm

I do lean towards Jontay Porter over Robert Williams for whatever reason. Porter just has that “it” factor and is highly highly intelligent. Williams seems clueless at times, but he averaged 14 rebounds and 4 blocks per 40, his advanced defensive numbers were also off the charts.

Porter’s ceiling is somewhat limited due to lack of length. Morris has given us all PTSD in that regard. Don’t want another T-Rex.

It’s an interesting idea though, can we trade back a few spots to select Porter and acquire someone’s high 2nd to get Gary Clark?

We like trading with Atlanta, they select 19&33, could we acquire those picks for #15?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: RE: Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#608 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:39 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
payitforward wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:What I believe is that Porter is somewhat expendable and has the most trade value after Beal and Wall, what I also believe is that the Wizards could be prepared to move on from Porter and because of that I believe the FO "would" include Porter in any trade deal, if the Wizards can get a top five pick by including Porter alone then great, I don't think that would happen so I figure they'd have to sweeten the deal with an extra player and pick/picks.

Like I said I'm great at evaluating talent not determining fair trade value. I leave that to Grunfeld, while he should leave talent evaluation to me.

My point is get in the top 5 and draft a difference maker at an area of need if possible.

Actually, that's not what you believe. What you believe, because it's what you said we should do, is "trade Porter, Satoransky, our #15 R1 pick this year, & our R2 pick next year -- all in return for 'a top 5 pick' this year." Which, as I said, is just about the worst proposal I've ever read on this board.

& you are so "great at evaluating talent" that you can't even give one example. You can't even say who the player is, available in the top 5, who would be that "difference maker" who is worth all you are so eager to give up.

In short, you don't seem to have the slightest ability to evaluate talent. You do seem to like what you see in the mirror, however.

Again: who is the guy you want in the top 5 this year? & what are some examples of when you've said something like "this or that guy in the draft is going to be way better than the position he'll be drafted at" -- & been right, which would be evidence that you can evaluate talent.

Here's the way this is usually said -- Put up or shut up.

Now, that's not polite, so let me add "please."

Perhaps including the draft picks does make it a bad proposal, but like I said, I don't concern myself with trade value charts and I'm not great at determining fair trade value, I'm great at evaluating talent.

What's important is moving up in the draft to select that game-changer.

Draft picks aside, Otto Porter is still the player I'd trade and if another were necessary to seal the deal it would still be Satoransky because he's still somewhat an unknown commodity who's shown flashes of being a player that some coach could entrust with running a team.

Oh yeah all my stated beliefs are my actual beliefs, oh yeah!

First off, I should commend you for not taking my bait & getting riled. :)

Secondly, you're still off your rocker. Otto Porter is the most valuable player on this team, both in his current level of production & in his potential for further development. Tomas Satoransky, at his current salary & even at his likely salary upon re-signing, is the biggest bargain on the team -- absolutely the last kind of guy you choose to get rid of if you want to build a winner. Yet, you want to trade them -- plus another draft pick! -- to move up 10 spots in the draft!

That's a horrendous idea. & you can't defend it by saying "I don't know trade value; I only know talent." In a trade, the only thing that matters is what you get for what you give up, & you've proposed a trade wherein it would be impossible to get back enough to make it worth it to give up what you suggest.

Thirdly, even leaving aside the utter ineptitude at evaluating talent that you demonstrate by choosing those two guys to trade, why would I or anyone think you had any skill at it whatsoever? You haven't named a single player you'd want. You haven't even said whom you'd hope to acquire by way of this idiotic trade proposal of yours. Do you even know who's in the draft this year?

You haven't pointed to even one example that illustrates your sharp eye for talent. In other words, you haven't "put up," but you also won't "shut up," but instead you keep repeating your ludicrous claim. Why? Is it b/c you can't come across? You actually have nothing to offer?

At this point, you either say who you want in the draft that you think is worth giving up Porter, Sato & a pick for, or I am going to put you on ignore.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#609 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:42 am

NatP4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Productivity & impact as a freshman seems to be the biggest indicator of NBA talent. I was looking a the BPM of freshman going back to 11-12, the top of the list reads likes a who's who of quality NBA players. Gary Clark seems like a sure bet to be solid. If he's going to be undrafted, I'd trade for a late 2nd rounder just to ensure we are able to get him.

Yep. A guy who was productive as a Freshman but is in the draft as a Junior or Senior has a good shot to be successful. Obviously it's not a guarantee, but it makes me like Gary Clark.

Actually, along those lines, Brandon McCoy looks like an enormous bargain in R2: .61 TS% & 14 boards per 40 minutes -- as a Freshman. Almost 1000 minutes of PT. Kid is 7'1" & 250 lbs at 19 years old. I just watched him vs. Ayton & Arizona. He can use both hands, he's by no means slow. I like him.

i'm unsure of McCoy, his defensive metrics are bad. He lacks that explosive athletic ability that some of the top bigs in the draft have. He seems like the Bobby Portis of this years draft. Can score some, developing outside game, definitely rebounds. Doesn't really have the defensive tools.

in the 2nd round, you take him for certain, but if both he and Jontay Porter are available in the same range, Porter is going to be the far better player.

Oh, I'm not suggesting him at #15!! By no means. But I haven't seen a single mock draft with him in R1, have you? He looks like great value in mid-round 2, however.

Do remember that DeAndre Jordan went in R2 in 2008 -- almost 20 picks after our resident genius picked JaVale McGee.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#610 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:55 am

dangermouse wrote:...Sign me up for keeping Lawson and signing Ariza (if we clear cap to make it so)....

Ty Lawson is not worth talking about. Not at all. Though I think he's a very good player.

He is with us for a few games in order to audition for an NBA contract next year. That contract won't be with us, b/c we can't afford him unless he's a veteran minimum player, & if that's all he gets offered he'll go back to China for the $$.

I'm sure the better he plays the more you'll like him. But, duh, the better he plays the better the offer he'll get. Meanwhile, the Wizards will be over the tax limit with ten players. Not the cap, the luxury tax. You do get that, right? And all the more so w/ our R1 pick.

I do wish people would comprehend our salary situation. The idea that we could "clear cap room" is beyond ridiculous. Even if we traded John Wall & took back no salary, we would be over the cap with 9 players. You get that too, right?

I don't get the point of these exercises in fantasy. Forget about Lawson, forget about Ariza; instead think about the cheapest veteran minimum players you can imagine -- those are our guys.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#611 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:59 am

dangermouse wrote:...Guard rotation of Wall/Beal/Sato/Lawson is good. We wouldnt need any more Meeks. ...

Good God! You do understand that Meeks is signed through next year, right?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#612 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:01 am

NatP4 wrote:as of right this moment, my plan of attack at the draft would be this:

Leave the draft with Williams, Smith, Wagner, Newman, Clark all on rookie deals. ...

5 rookies. You're starting to sound like me! :)

Plus...
NatP4 wrote:I do lean towards Jontay Porter over Robert Williams for whatever reason. Porter just has that “it” factor and is highly highly intelligent. Williams seems clueless at times, but he averaged 14 rebounds and 4 blocks per 40, his advanced defensive numbers were also off the charts.

Porter’s ceiling is somewhat limited due to lack of length. Morris has given us all PTSD in that regard. Don’t want another T-Rex.

It’s an interesting idea though, can we trade back a few spots to select Porter and acquire someone’s high 2nd to get Gary Clark?

We like trading with Atlanta, they select 19&33, could we acquire those picks for #15?

I thought we were getting Clark as an UDFA??

Some mocks have Williams at 19 & Jontay in the early 2d. So w/ your trade & your earlier post above, perhaps we get:

Robert Williams, Zhaire Smith, Jontay Porter, Mo Wagner, Malik Newman & Gary Clark. Plus we sign that sleeper guard we were talking about yesterday, Devon Hall.

7 rookies! & we're still over the tax limit, btw!! :)
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#613 » by dangermouse » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:57 am

payitforward wrote:
dangermouse wrote:...Guard rotation of Wall/Beal/Sato/Lawson is good. We wouldnt need any more Meeks. ...

Thats fine. Doesn't mean he's entitled to court time. I think Lawson/Sato would be the better back court. Going off topic though perhaps we should leave it for an offseason thread (there'll probably be one up soon i imagine)

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#614 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:39 pm

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Yep. A guy who was productive as a Freshman but is in the draft as a Junior or Senior has a good shot to be successful. Obviously it's not a guarantee, but it makes me like Gary Clark.

Actually, along those lines, Brandon McCoy looks like an enormous bargain in R2: .61 TS% & 14 boards per 40 minutes -- as a Freshman. Almost 1000 minutes of PT. Kid is 7'1" & 250 lbs at 19 years old. I just watched him vs. Ayton & Arizona. He can use both hands, he's by no means slow. I like him.

i'm unsure of McCoy, his defensive metrics are bad. He lacks that explosive athletic ability that some of the top bigs in the draft have. He seems like the Bobby Portis of this years draft. Can score some, developing outside game, definitely rebounds. Doesn't really have the defensive tools.

in the 2nd round, you take him for certain, but if both he and Jontay Porter are available in the same range, Porter is going to be the far better player.

Oh, I'm not suggesting him at #15!! By no means. But I haven't seen a single mock draft with him in R1, have you? He looks like great value in mid-round 2, however.

Do remember that DeAndre Jordan went in R2 in 2008 -- almost 20 picks after our resident genius picked JaVale McGee.

I'm not sure what mocks you've been looking at, but most of the ones I've seen have McCoy going late 1st - which makes sense, imo. I don't think he fits in today's NBA, but some old-school team will likely pick him late first.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#615 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 pm

payitforward wrote:

Being signed does not necessarily mean in the rotation. Good googily moogily.

We might be able to save a little by buying him out.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#616 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:47 pm

NatP4 wrote:I do lean towards Jontay Porter over Robert Williams for whatever reason. Porter just has that “it” factor and is highly highly intelligent. Williams seems clueless at times, but he averaged 14 rebounds and 4 blocks per 40, his advanced defensive numbers were also off the charts.

I'll take Porter if I'm convinced that he'll get himself in top shape. One other thing about Williams - I think he's the best athlete in the draft.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#617 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:30 pm

dangermouse wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Thats fine. Doesn't mean he's entitled to court time. I think Lawson/Sato would be the better back court. Going off topic though perhaps we should leave it for an offseason thread (there'll probably be one up soon i imagine)

Once again... Ty Lawson is a guy we rented who will play between 4 and 7 games in a Wizards uniform.

I certainly agree that (when he's not drinking, & for his sake I hope he's put that behind him) he's a better player than Jodie Meeks. But he won't be here, & Jodie Meeks will.

edit: you're right. Lets leave this for the off-season thread. & I'd be delighted if Lawson were with us next year, btw. Just can't see how it could happen.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#618 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

I'm not sure what mocks you've been looking at, but most of the ones I've seen have McCoy going late 1st - which makes sense, imo. I don't think he fits in today's NBA, but some old-school team will likely pick him late first.

I see that draftroom has him going #21. Neither sports illustrated nor sporting news has him in r1. A month ago, Givony had him going #45. Who knows...?

But look at this from bleacher report: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769739-2018-nba-draft-big-board-post-regular-season-edition

Not in the top 50....
NatP4
RealGM

Post#619 » by NatP4 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:Oh, I'm not suggesting him at #15!! By no means. But I haven't seen a single mock draft with him in R1, have you? He looks like great value in mid-round 2, however.

I see that draftroom has him going #21. Neither sports illustrated nor sporting news has him in r1. A month ago, Givony had him going #45. Who knows...?

But look at this from bleacher report: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769739-2018-nba-draft-big-board-post-regular-season-edition

Not in the top 50....

Yeah I agree with you, he’s a no brainer in the 2nd round with his size and rebounding ability. Same with Jontay Porter if he drops that far.

I don’t see Gary Clark listed on any mock drafts, but someone posted on here and said there was no way he goes undrafted, wouldn’t surprise me if he went early 2nd.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#620 » by NatP4 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:

I'll take Porter if I'm convinced that he'll get himself in top shape. One other thing about Williams - I think he's the best athlete in the draft.

I agree, Williams is that athletic presence like a Capela or smaller Deandre Jordan, but something about Jontay Porter, he reminds me of Otto Porter as a big man. Does everything well on the court and that jumpshot looks super smooth. Maybe like a Chris Bosh type that can play center in the new NBA. It’s possible that they both become good players and it’s just a matter of which better fits our team.

Return to Washington Wizards