ImageImageImageImageImage

Where should the Wizards go from here?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,949

Re: Where should the Wizards go from here? 

Post#141 » by CobraCommander » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:58 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

2:30

our only hope for a ring

Will KD bring Steph,Klay,Dray and Kerr with him...? If its just KD ...we will get that L in the finals...
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#142 » by Dark Faze » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Nearly everyone would agree that Ariza is the better defender.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#144 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:42 am

gtn130 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
gtn130 wrote:Yes? This isn't a controversial opinion.

Advanced numbers all support this (DWS, DBPM, DRtg) and Ariza is much better eye test wise. He's possibly the best at ball denial in the league.

Otto has a higher DWS, DRPM, DBPM, they have the same DRtg of 107.

Otto also averages mores steals and blocks.

We must be using different eye tests

steals and blocks mean zero.

Ariza has had multiple seasons of better defensive production from an advanced stats perspective. Sorting by this season when Ariza is 32 and had a smaller role on a stacked team is completely disingenuous.

Why not compare them in 2016-17 in that case?

Otto scored more points than Ariza at a much higher TS%.
Otto had more defensive boards per 40 minutes
Otto had more offensive boards per 40 minutes
Ariza had somewhat more steals... but "steals... mean zero", right? Actually, no, that's wrong.

Overall, with no doubt whatsoever, Otto Porter had a much better season than Ariza in 2016-17. This is not to say that Ariza had a bad season -- not at all. He had quite a good season. Which is no surprise, as he is quite a good player. Just not as good as Porter.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#145 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 am

gtn130 wrote:...Sorting by this season when Ariza is 32 and had a smaller role on a stacked team is completely disingenuous.

Your point about his age is valid. But I don't know what you mean by "smaller role." Ariza played 2300 minutes, & his role was not particularly smaller than usual. Per 40 minutes, he averages .9 fewer FGAs than he did his years with us. Doesn't amount to much...
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#146 » by gtn130 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm

payitforward wrote:
gtn130 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Otto has a higher DWS, DRPM, DBPM, they have the same DRtg of 107.

Otto also averages mores steals and blocks.

We must be using different eye tests

steals and blocks mean zero.

Ariza has had multiple seasons of better defensive production from an advanced stats perspective. Sorting by this season when Ariza is 32 and had a smaller role on a stacked team is completely disingenuous.

Why not compare them in 2016-17 in that case?

Otto scored more points than Ariza at a much higher TS%.
Otto had more defensive boards per 40 minutes
Otto had more offensive boards per 40 minutes
Ariza had somewhat more steals... but "steals... mean zero", right? Actually, no, that's wrong.

Overall, with no doubt whatsoever, Otto Porter had a much better season than Ariza in 2016-17. This is not to say that Ariza had a bad season -- not at all. He had quite a good season. Which is no surprise, as he is quite a good player. Just not as good as Porter.

We were talking only about defense.

And while there is ~some value in steals and blocks, they're pretty irrelevant when determining how good/bad someone is at defense.
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#147 » by gtn130 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:34 pm

payitforward wrote:
gtn130 wrote:...Sorting by this season when Ariza is 32 and had a smaller role on a stacked team is completely disingenuous.

Your point about his age is valid. But I don't know what you mean by "smaller role." Ariza played 2300 minutes, & his role was not particularly smaller than usual. Per 40 minutes, he averages .9 fewer FGAs than he did his years with us. Doesn't amount to much...

Again, we were talking about defense.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#148 » by verbal8 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:12 am

I think part of the Wizards problems is ownership. I don't know a lot about hockey, but losing a coach after he wins the Stanley cup seems like a big problem.

https://hockey.realgm.com/wiretap/14957/Barry-Trotz-Leaves-Capitals-After-Winning-Stanley-Cup
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#149 » by truwizfan4evr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:50 pm

it's pretty simple.....Wizards get: Kevin Love, JR Smith and No. 8

Cavaliers get: Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat and No. 15
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
Gig18
Junior
And1: 138

Post#150 » by Gig18 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:40 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:it's pretty simple.....Wizards get: Kevin Love, JR Smith and No. 8

No thanks. Again, we'd have no scoring. Porter can, but doesn't want to; Oubre may, but he's still not there yet.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#151 » by Shoe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:58 am

Start jacking threes. John, Brad, Otto, Oubre, Sato pulling up every time down.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#152 » by montestewart » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Shoe wrote:Start jacking threes. John, Brad, Otto, Oubre, Sato pulling up every time down.

Could be a sweatier version of Denver teams, high score, high loss total, high draft pick, high, high, high!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#153 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:01 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:it's pretty simple.....Wizards get: Kevin Love, JR Smith and No. 8

I find myself having zero interest in Kevin Love whatsoever. He's just not built for today's game. He can't defend guards on a switch, and that makes him a huge liability when it matters.

He does have offensive potential that is not being maximized in Cleveland alongside Lebron, but even if he was better utilized on offense, his defensive deficiencies remain. I really think he's destined to be a good player on a bad team guy for the rest of his career. I just don't think you can win with him.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#154 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:04 pm

nate33 wrote:

I find myself having zero interest in Kevin Love whatsoever. He's just not built for today's game. He can't defend guards on a switch, and that makes him a huge liability when it matters.

He does have offensive potential that is not being maximized in Cleveland alongside Lebron, but even if he was better utilized on offense, his defensive deficiencies remain. I really think he's destined to be a good player on a bad team guy for the rest of his career. I just don't think you can win with him.

Agree 100%. If you think Gortat struggles defensively at protecting the rim, this guy can't protect anything. He needs to play with a very good defensive team with athletic defenders or a Rudy Gobert-type to hide his deficiencies.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#155 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:07 pm

80sballboy wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Agree 100%. If you think Gortat struggles defensively at protecting the rim, this guy can't protect anything. He needs to play with a very good defensive team with athletic defenders or a Rudy Gobert-type to hide his deficiencies.

It's even worse than that. The way the league is changing, you CAN'T really hide your deficiencies. Having a defensive liability at any position on the floor is a HUGE problem and will be relentlessly exploited by good teams in the playoffs (who have the personnel to do so).
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#156 » by Dark Faze » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:17 pm

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
nate33 wrote:I find myself having zero interest in Kevin Love whatsoever. He's just not built for today's game. He can't defend guards on a switch, and that makes him a huge liability when it matters.

It's even worse than that. The way the league is changing, you CAN'T really hide your deficiencies. Having a defensive liability at any position on the floor is a HUGE problem and will be relentlessly exploited by good teams in the playoffs (who have the personnel to do so).

i'm actually starting to think Brad isn't just meh, but actually legitimately bad defensively

some of that might be him having to prioritize offense over defense due to his minutes, but I think he's a worse defender than Wall, who can occasionally turn it on on that side of the ball and even when beaten he can occasionally make up for it by chasing down the defender.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#157 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Dark Faze wrote:
nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

i'm actually starting to think Brad isn't just meh, but actually legitimately bad defensively

some of that might be him having to prioritize offense over defense due to his minutes, but I think he's a worse defender than Wall, who can occasionally turn it on on that side of the ball and even when beaten he can occasionally make up for it by chasing down the defender.

I thought Beal was quite solid defensively this year. I certainly don't consider him a liability when compared to most guards. Teams don't go out of their way to try and exploit Beal. And as an added bonus, he has the strength to hold his own when he gets switched onto a post player. I agree that John at his best is better defensively than Beal, but I also think that John is way more inconsistent with his defensive effort.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#158 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Zero interest in Love. He has no place in today's game. Can't defend the rim as a 5, too slow to defend 4's and switch on pick and rolls
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#159 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:17 am

Baltimore. Sheboygan. I don’t care.
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards