ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVI

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVI 

Post#1221 » by dckingsfan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:41 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:Hey everyone I come in peace.

I've noticed that Wizards fans seem to be very frustrated with the treadmill that this team has been on recently and want to move on from the Wall/Beal era.

What do you guys think about these two deals?

Nets get: Bradley Beal, Jason Smith
Wizards get: D'Angelo Russell, Joe Harris, Kenneth Faried, BKN 1st (Lottery protected), 2020 Suns 2nd, Pacers 2nd (Protected 45-60)

or

Nets get: Wall, Jason Smith
Wizrds get: D'Angelo Russell, Allen Crabbe, DEN 1st (Top 12 Protected), Pacers 2nd (Protected 45-60)

I know it's early but I though I'd start the conversation.

I would jump on trade number 2, but we would have to swap coaches as well. And you have to figure out how to take on Rivers...
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#1222 » by Eli Babak » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:52 pm

dckingsfan wrote:And you have to figure out how to take on Rivers...

I traded him for Harry Giles in NBA 2K. So, Ernie, just pick up the phone... :noway:

I'd love to trade Wall but not for a pack of chips. He's looked great this season but his supermax ruins everything and Ernie messed Wall-era with that horrible summer 2016. Tough situation.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,219

Post#1223 » by NatP4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Wall for Lonzo Ball and Kyle Kuzma.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1224 » by Dark Faze » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:30 pm

NatP4 wrote:Wall for Lonzo Ball and Kyle Kuzma.

Lakers would never take on Wall until they've secured their second star in free agency. After that i'm not sure if there'll be enough money to make a salary match work for Wall.

I could maybe see Phoenix biting but they'd probably want this years pick to be top 3 protected in order to have a shot at Barrett.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#1225 » by gambitx777 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:44 pm

as much as I am open to trading wall, he is not the real issue here, we are 0-2 not in last place after 50 games, lets see what happens when we get howard back
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1226 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:29 am

nate33 wrote:...Trading away our #45-49ish pick saved Ted somewhere around $6-7M. Viewed in isolation, it's hard to argue with the trade.

True enough. There's no basis for arguing against it. & that is the problem -- viewing it in isolation. When you view something in isolation, you remove it from any real context that would provide a basis for criticism.

Now... whether viewed in isolation or viewed in its entire context (for example, the entire Jodie-Meeks-becomes-is-&-stops-being-a-Wizard arc), this whole matter doesn't warrant the level of attention it's gotten -- that's obvious.

But, viewing it as one of a series of phenomena that all have a similar arc overall (in this case, the arc is: make a bad decision then figure out how to get rid of it & pay the cost to hide the pattern) is quite revealing. In fact, by and large that's how we attain insight -- by spying out patterns.

Viewed in isolation, the 1923 invasion of the Ruhr by France & Belgium looked like a great decision.
Viewed in isolation, the 1938 agreement Hitler achieved allowing him to annex the Sudetanland looked like a great victory for Germany.

But neither was. The first led to the second, & the second led to the deaths of something approaching 60 million people, the end of Europe's ability to control its own fate (let alone the ability of any European country to do so).

& that's why I mentioned "tariffs" in this context (masking my intention with a smiley). View things in isolation, & you will never understand anything at all.

Okay... end of rant! Sorry.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1227 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:50 am

YES, and hopefully, we send them any of Mahinmi, Smith, Morris, Rivers.

I'll tell you who ELSE on the Lakers: Svi Myhailiuk is a baller!
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1228 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:53 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
I understand not wanting to trade Beal.

Jarrett Allen and LeVert are untouchable right now. There's no way the Wizards get that kind of return for Wall who's going on 30 and will make 40 million next year. Honestly I thought my initial offer for Wall was a borderline overpay.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cool story bro. No one is clamoring for Levert or Allen. I know some Wiz fans are mad we missed on him the draft and while he's a decent prospect, he's also arguably the worst starting C in the East.

Wall is a legit all-star and proven playoff performer. Your talking about role players still trying to find their way in the league. There's no real discussion to be had here.

It's not a story, just a fact. I'm talking about a dynamic 6'8 combo guard averaging 24 PPG so far and a 19 year old center averaging 3 blocks and shooting 40% from 3. Yes it's early in the season but no team is giving up players like those for Wall at this point. I'm a big fan of Wall's game but not a fan of his attitude, contract, age or injury history. You'll hear similar things from other fans and pundits. You should expect any Wall trade discussions to be similar to the Jimmy Butler discussions except with even less suitors since the PG position is so stacked.

I don't mean to disrespect Wall or the team, I'm just pointing out how difficult it's going to be to get back the kind of value you're expecting.

No reason that I can see for Dat to present an attitude about your trade suggestion. I'd agree that John Wall might be very very hard to trad given his upcoming supermax.

From the other POV, Ernie could never trade Wall for the list you started with. He might as well put up a billboard advertising his multi-year series of terrible decisions.

D'Angelo & Crabbe are not assets of any kind. The picks aren't killer, so this would be a move aimed entirely at facilitating the Wiz starting over from scratch. Ernie's not doing that.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#1229 » by DCZards » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:30 am

payitforward wrote:No reason that I can see for Dat to present an attitude about your trade suggestion. I'd agree that John Wall might be very very hard to trad given his upcoming supermax.

From the other POV, Ernie could never trade Wall for the list you started with. He might as well put up a billboard advertising his multi-year series of terrible decisions.

D'Angelo & Crabbe are not assets of any kind. The picks aren't killer, so this would be a move aimed entirely at facilitating the Wiz starting over from scratch. Ernie's not doing that.

...nor should the Zards start over from scratch.
RealGM

Post#1230 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:55 am

Dark Faze wrote:

Lakers would never take on Wall until they've secured their second star in free agency. After that i'm not sure if there'll be enough money to make a salary match work for Wall.

I could maybe see Phoenix biting but they'd probably want this years pick to be top 3 protected in order to have a shot at Barrett.
Phoenix has Ariza but really they are high on Josh Jackson and TJ Warren. Mikal Bridges is a good player at the SF position. As good as Barrett projects to be, I doubt at his age he beats out up and coming players not much older than he is.

I don't think Phoenix is on the same timeline for peaking as a player like Wall could be considered at his peak.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1231 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:45 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:I understand not wanting to trade Beal.

Jarrett Allen and LeVert are untouchable right now. There's no way the Wizards get that kind of return for Wall who's going on 30 and will make 40 million next year. Honestly I thought my initial offer for Wall was a borderline overpay.

Honestly he's probably a bad fit for you guys in regards to timeline.

If Wall is going to be moved, it needs to be to a team with aspirations to win now.

If the Nets got Wall and LeVert and Allen continued their stellar play, they'd be likely to add a max FA this summer. It's all hypotheticals obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nets pivot to a sustainable win now plan after this season.
My hunch: Kyrie Irving is going to be a Nets or a Knicks player in the future.

The Celtics IMO are one injury to Al Horford and/or one early playoff exit away from shuffling the roster that is way loaded talent-wise. Kyrie is terrific but so was Terry Rozier last playoffs. Hayward's really good but the ball cannot be divided into two pieces. Jaylen Brown has to take the backseat...yet, he's the one with BOSTON PLAYOFF LONGEVITY.

Boston has a bit of redundancy in the same way as the Bullets had young Ben Wallace on the bench behind Webber, and Howard. Rasheed was traded, too. Too many guys strong at just one position. The Celtics have two starters best at PG and three guys who are each 3s but can play 2 or 4. Tatum is clearly an ALPHA but come playoffs they're going through Hayward and Irving.

I can foresee Kyrie being odd man out and Brown going Jimmy Butler (solo) to better his career $$ and touches. Rozier seems likely to do a Reggie Jackson (Pistons) or George Hill (post challenge to Parker's Spurs" minutes).

Brooklyn is in a great spot to just wait for FA talent to sign with the Nets.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1232 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:15 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:No reason that I can see for Dat to present an attitude about your trade suggestion. I'd agree that John Wall might be very very hard to trad given his upcoming supermax.

...nor should the Zards start over from scratch.

I didn't mean to suggest they should. In fact, with Ernie at the helm it would be pointless, as he has demonstrated beyond any doubt that he can't build a contending team.

That said, I don't think there's any "should" or "should not" in a thing like this. It's just a matter of what your goals are & what your timeline is.

Given our current personnel & the salaries the team faces going forward, if you look at things objectively it's hard to imagine this generation of the Wizards contending for a title -- the best you could hope for is pcbothwei's "puncher's chance" (which I don't think we have, given you have to win 3 rounds in the playoffs before you even get that long-shot opportunity).

OTOH, a title isn't the only possible goal. I remember when we were winning twenty something or thirty something games a year; that was no fun. Especially for someone like Zards, who is paying real money to attend games in the arena, it's kind of nice, when you sit down in your seat, to think you have a pretty good shot at winning the game!

If we start heading down in that direction again, then it will be time to accept that it didn't work for this generation of the Wizards. But even in that case, it's pointless to rebuild with Ernie Grunfeld as our GM.

In that regard, it would just fine to "start over from scratch" right now at the GM position!
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1233 » by dangermouse » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:42 am

Waking up to the headline "Ernie Grunfeld fired" is one of those ever-hopeful fantasies I have, like waking up to find my wife blowing me. I know its NEVER going to happen, but hey, ya gotta have faith.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,537

Post#1234 » by Qwigglez » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 am

Hello guys! Would you do something like this?

Suns get-
John Wall
Otto Porter

Wizards get-
Josh Jackson
Elie Okobo
Ryan Anderson
Tyson Chandler
2019 Bucks 1st (weird protection, look it up)
2020 Suns 1st (top 3 protected)
2022 Suns 1st

With Anderson, I believe he can be cut over the summer and it's only $15.6 million, so it saves you roughly $5 million. I know it's not much though.

Or sub Ryan Anderson for TJ Warren instead. ;)
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#1235 » by queridiculo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:55 am

Yeah, no, that's a terrible deal for Washington, in fact, it's an insulting offer.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,537

Post#1236 » by Qwigglez » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Sorry, was under the impression you guys wanted to get out of Wall's contract. Probably not under the expense of Porter, I just really like Porter :lol:
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1237 » by WizarDynasty » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Team could definitely use a young high energy shot blocker that also can hit the three amd board. If howard didn't have chronic back problems, I would be more excitedabout theseason. He gave his best years pre injury to the magic.
DeAndre Jordan would be really nice.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#1238 » by dckingsfan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 pm

How about:

Wall/Smith/Bryant

For Chandler/Bridges/Holmes and Jackson

2019 Bucks 1st
2020 Suns 1st (top 7 protected)
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1239 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Phoenix has Ariza but really they are high on Josh Jackson and TJ Warren. Mikal Bridges is a good player at the SF position. As good as Barrett projects to be, I doubt at his age he beats out up and coming players not much older than he is.

I don't think Phoenix is on the same timeline for peaking as a player like Wall could be considered at his peak.

Ariza is getting older and on a one-year deal. Jackson and Warren aren't guys who define who you do and don't draft. Jackson is basically Justise Winslow/MKG without the defense right now - he has some upside but really needs to work on his game and his jumper if he wants to do much of anything in the NBA. Warren needs to maintain his current hot streak for a while longer before I'm convinced he can actually shoot. Barrett wouldn't have a hard time beating out Warren and Jackson at the forward spots. Ayton has already done just that and Bridges looks poised to do the same as a rookie.

Bridges is awesome but I also expect he's going to be more of a PF as his career progresses while (Ayton is clearly going to be a C). He wouldn't have any issues playing with Barrett. And while a lot can happen, I expect Barrett is also going to be a better player than Bridges.
Bucket! Bucket!
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#1240 » by Dat2U » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 pm

There were 3 guys in the drqft I would have traded Wall for last year. Luka Doncic, Jaren Jackson Jr & Trae Young. This year, there's one guy I'd absolutely trade Wall for in a heartbeat or anyone on our roster. Zion Williamson. I'm still drawing conclusions on others but R.J. Barrett looks pretty good as well.

Return to Washington Wizards