ImageImageImageImageImage

The Troy Brown Thread

Moderators: montestewart, nate33, LyricalRico

User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 10,893
And1: 3,797
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#1 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:09 am

No disrespect to the kid, but he’s a late 1st-2nd round prospect.

Dat is spot on here.

Read on Twitter


Looking forward to everyone else having a productive player while we drafted the bust
Image
User avatar
long suffrin' boulez fan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,525
And1: 1,727
Joined: Nov 18, 2005
Location: In EG's alternate realty
         

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#2 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:13 am

I was so bummed the last couple of years when Ernie traded our #1.

Now I wish he had traded this one.

Brilliant move. Pick so badly that fans are relieved when you trade away your first.
In Rizzo we trust
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 10,893
And1: 3,797
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#3 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:30 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21


Just don’t see it
Image
trast66
Senior
Posts: 723
And1: 378
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
   

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#4 » by trast66 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:34 am

Currently he is not a good shooter or finisher. Too frail to cover 4’s, not quick enough to cover wings.

If he works hard, adds muscle and a shot he could be the 3rd guy off the bench by year 3 of contract.

Would not have been my pick, but its a defensible pick.

It’s a sin we didn’t pick Z. Smith.
User avatar
gtn130
Analyst
Posts: 3,294
And1: 2,512
Joined: Mar 18, 2009

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#5 » by gtn130 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 am

From a value perspective this is unquestionably a bad pick. Look what Philly did to acquire Zhaire. There is no universe in which our front office has the wherewithal to do anything like that.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 10,893
And1: 3,797
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#6 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:45 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Image
Shoe
Senior
Posts: 734
And1: 610
Joined: Nov 06, 2017
 

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#7 » by Shoe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:06 am

Looks like Ernie reached because Troy had a good interview. I don't think he'll impact wins and loses, but he should be a solid teammate for the duration of his contract. He might actually get a lot of burn early if he knows how to communicate and he connects with Brooks (something Sato probably struggles with).
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,123
And1: 638
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#8 » by prime1time » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:16 am

I might be in the minority but I like the pick. Dude is a great player and fits well into where the NBA is going. We groom him right and he'll be a stud. I think he improves the jump shot, adds a little more muscle and develops into a great player. His passing ability is already very good. And he seems to have great basketball iq. If you're going to make an argument that he was a bad pick based on value, I understand where you were coming from. But in terms of finding a player that can fit into a system I love the pick. This is a dude who says he plays like Iggy. That tells me what I need to know right there. The Iggy he's talking about is the Iggy that plays for the Warriors. The one that comes off the bench, makes the right plays and guards the opposing teams top wing. Do you need stars to win? Yes. But you also need players like Iggy who are willing to sacrifice for the team. I see him in the Draymond Green/Denzel Valentine mode. And those are two guys that I would love to have on this team. Great pick!
User avatar
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,598
And1: 793
Joined: Dec 08, 2009

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#9 » by dangermouse » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:44 am

This is a f****** joke right?

We could have traded back and still got this guy.

We could have traded back and got Rob Williams!

76ers (via Phx) must be absolutely cheering that Zhaire was still there.

Absolutely. Unequivocally. GRUNFELDIAN.
Image
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract


Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
User avatar
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,598
And1: 793
Joined: Dec 08, 2009

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#10 » by dangermouse » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:49 am

I'd forgive this if we traded Oubre for a late 1st to get Williams as well. But nope. Because having this guy, Sato and Oubre on the team isnt at all redundant. Here's to Ted for that contract extension! Great job idiot. I feel sorry for Scott Brooks.

Hopefully there's a trade in the works involving Gortat/Oubre/19 1st so we can get a decent C/PF.
Image
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract


Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
NatP4
General Manager
Posts: 8,451
And1: 2,195
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#11 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:54 am

I like this pick honestly. Another wing, should allow us to play small ball more. Start Wall Beal Oubre Porter with Brown as a backup wing. Can never go wrong with picking guys that play hard and have high character.

I like his potential also because his jumpshot looks good even with the low%, and he's smart. only 18 for another month.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 20,679
And1: 2,566
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#12 » by closg00 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:02 am

While addressing reporters, Grunfeld was reminded about the handful of wings already on the roster and quipped, “Now we have one more.”


What a Dick! I am convinced that Ernie is involved in some twisted mind-fu_ck game, he has contempt for the press and especially fans who actually follow basketball, he loves to mentally flip us off.
Tank 19/20, trade Brad, Top-5 pick in 2020.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 20,679
And1: 2,566
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#13 » by closg00 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:06 am

NatP4 wrote:I like this pick honestly. Another wing, should allow us to play small ball more. Start Wall Beal Oubre Porter with Brown as a backup wing. Can never go wrong with picking guys that play hard and have high character.

I like his potential also because his jumpsuit looks good even with the low%, and he's smart. only 18 for another month.


How do you justify this kind of pick when we already have Otto and Oubre, it was literally the last thing we needed and Williams was there.
Tank 19/20, trade Brad, Top-5 pick in 2020.
NatP4
General Manager
Posts: 8,451
And1: 2,195
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#14 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:09 am

closg00 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I like this pick honestly. Another wing, should allow us to play small ball more. Start Wall Beal Oubre Porter with Brown as a backup wing. Can never go wrong with picking guys that play hard and have high character.

I like his potential also because his jumpsuit looks good even with the low%, and he's smart. only 18 for another month.


How do you justify this kind of pick when we already have Otto and Oubre, it was literally the last thing we needed and Williams was there.


we needed another wing regardless because otto NEEDS to start at PF next year, which fixes 50% of our frontcourt problem. Also, NBA centers are getting played off the court no matter how good they are. It will look like this hopefully:

Wall Sato
Beal
Oubre Brown
Porter

plenty of backup 2/3/4 minutes and lots of versatility with 3 legit wings with 7ft wingspans. I'm actually starting to love this pick.
User avatar
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,598
And1: 793
Joined: Dec 08, 2009

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#15 » by dangermouse » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:16 am

Small ball was one of our most effective lineups (with Gortat or Mahinmi at C i believe)

I can see that argument for this pick. But we could still run that lineup without this pick. If Brooks won't run that lineup all the time anyway, whats the point?

I'd much prefer a big man prospect we can groom to take over from Gortat and hopefully take minutes away from Mahinmi. Williams needed work but he's got Capela comparisons. Imagine that Wall Beal Oubs Porter lineup with with Capela at C...
Image
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract


Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,385
And1: 4,713
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#16 » by Dat2U » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:18 am

NatP4 wrote:
closg00 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I like this pick honestly. Another wing, should allow us to play small ball more. Start Wall Beal Oubre Porter with Brown as a backup wing. Can never go wrong with picking guys that play hard and have high character.

I like his potential also because his jumpsuit looks good even with the low%, and he's smart. only 18 for another month.


How do you justify this kind of pick when we already have Otto and Oubre, it was literally the last thing we needed and Williams was there.


we needed another wing regardless because otto NEEDS to start at PF next year, which fixes 50% of our frontcourt problem. Also, NBA centers are getting played off the court no matter how good they are. It will look like this hopefully:

Wall Sato
Beal
Oubre Brown
Porter

plenty of backup 2/3/4 minutes and lots of versatility with 3 legit wings with 7ft wingspans. I'm actually starting to love this pick.


I doubt Sato is the backup PG next year. Brooks has made it pretty clear he's looking for something else. I think they possibly want Lawson back. Probably Scott too.

Wall / Lawson?
Beal / Sato / Meeks
Porter / Oubre / Brown
Morris / Scott?
Mahinmi / Smith / Gortat
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 20,679
And1: 2,566
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#17 » by closg00 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:18 am

NatP4 wrote:
closg00 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I like this pick honestly. Another wing, should allow us to play small ball more. Start Wall Beal Oubre Porter with Brown as a backup wing. Can never go wrong with picking guys that play hard and have high character.

I like his potential also because his jumpsuit looks good even with the low%, and he's smart. only 18 for another month.


How do you justify this kind of pick when we already have Otto and Oubre, it was literally the last thing we needed and Williams was there.


we needed another wing regardless because otto NEEDS to start at PF next year, which fixes 50% of our frontcourt problem. Also, NBA centers are getting played off the court no matter how good they are. It will look like this hopefully:

Wall Sato
Beal
Oubre Brown
Porter

plenty of backup 2/3/4 minutes and lots of versatility with 3 legit wings with 7ft wingspans. I'm actually starting to love this pick.


Stickman Otto cannot match-up with most PF's and Brooks is not going to play these 3 guys together. You KNOW John is saying WTF is happening here. You're just trying to rationalize the pick.
Tank 19/20, trade Brad, Top-5 pick in 2020.
NatP4
General Manager
Posts: 8,451
And1: 2,195
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#18 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:21 am

closg00 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
closg00 wrote:
How do you justify this kind of pick when we already have Otto and Oubre, it was literally the last thing we needed and Williams was there.


we needed another wing regardless because otto NEEDS to start at PF next year, which fixes 50% of our frontcourt problem. Also, NBA centers are getting played off the court no matter how good they are. It will look like this hopefully:

Wall Sato
Beal
Oubre Brown
Porter

plenty of backup 2/3/4 minutes and lots of versatility with 3 legit wings with 7ft wingspans. I'm actually starting to love this pick.


Stickman Otto cannot match-up with most PF's and Brooks is not going to play these 3 guys together. You KNOW John is saying WTF is happening here. You're just trying to rationalize the pick.


Not at all, we've been having discussion on this board about the center position dying. You saw how far Williams dropped. We still have to do something about center, but I was calling for Zhaire Smith, another wing, leading up to the draft. We needed another wing.

seriously just chill and think for a second, 3 wing players with 7ft wingspans that can defend and rebound. They are building that depth.
80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 16,961
And1: 2,871
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#19 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:21 am

Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
closg00 wrote:
How do you justify this kind of pick when we already have Otto and Oubre, it was literally the last thing we needed and Williams was there.


we needed another wing regardless because otto NEEDS to start at PF next year, which fixes 50% of our frontcourt problem. Also, NBA centers are getting played off the court no matter how good they are. It will look like this hopefully:

Wall Sato
Beal
Oubre Brown
Porter

plenty of backup 2/3/4 minutes and lots of versatility with 3 legit wings with 7ft wingspans. I'm actually starting to love this pick.


I doubt Sato is the backup PG next year. Brooks has made it pretty clear he's looking for something else. I think they possibly want Lawson back. Probably Scott too.

Wall / Lawson?
Beal / Sato / Meeks
Porter / Oubre / Brown
Morris / Scott?
Mahinmi / Smith / Gortat


I doubt either return though you might be able to get Lawson back for cheap considering his past. Mike Scott served his purpose. Let him go for a bigger deal.
NatP4
General Manager
Posts: 8,451
And1: 2,195
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#20 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 am

I predict that Sato and Brown will tear it up off the bench. Two high basketball IQ guys with great motors and unselfishness. It's a match made in heaven with Sato's deficiencies in ball handling and creating ability.

Return to Washington Wizards