2018 NBA Draft Thread Pt. II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread Pt. II 

Post#681 » by closg00 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Butbutbutbutbut... Brown can play more positions than ZSmith. He probably can't play them well at all, but... he can play more positions!!!

...and, he's LONGER! (just as icky as it sounds; but that IS the fascination with EG and company. They like long)

They don't care about performance over time. They prefer (their) PERCEPTION OF POTENTIAL in that player...DOWN THE ROAD BECAUSE IN THEIR MYOPIC MINDS NO ROOKIE CAN HELP...and, their max players are the shyt and shyznit.

Brown can be the Uber driver, too.

:nod: Yup, Ernie's pattern is very clear over the years when it comes to how he uses draft assets, in this draft he took the youngest players possible with both picks and he is looking to see which vets he can get to plug-into the roster this summer, this is what he does continuously.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#682 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:52 pm

closg00 wrote::nod: Yup, Ernie's pattern is very clear over the years when it comes to how he uses draft assets, in this draft he took the youngest players possible with both picks and he is looking to see which vets he can get to plug-into the roster this summer, this is what he does continuously.

I largely agree with the take on Ernie. Here's the catch, though. If Ernie's myopic mind moves him towards picking younger prospects, but still targeting guys he and his scouts believe will develop, that isn't actually a bad thing. It isn't bad to be patient with younger players. If there's a Donovan Mitchell sitting there in the draft, great, but that isn't common.

If Ernie's going to load up the roster with vets anyway, it's far better for him to take players that build and eventually start playing. I know Portis was popular before the draft and people didn't like the trade up concept, but actually picking Oubre worked out just fine. Satoransky was met with heavy criticisms for being a stash that would probably never come over when he was drafted. That's worked out pretty well, too.

Lots of teams take their time with younger players and work them into the rotation over time. If the Wizards are going to keep their draft picks and do things that way, I really don't have a problem with that so long as they actually get good players in the process. I'd have a much bigger issue overall if they operated like the Charlotte Hornets, taking whichever college vet put on a show in the tournament or in one of the random games they watched. Over time, this kind of action works out well. It doesn't help in the immediate, but let's be honest, no vet or rookie is going to change the Wizards' upcoming season. They need to avoid trading their draft picks, and maybe occasionally trade for a few others, and make some astute signings of undrafted free agents, and stop with the ridiculous unrestricted free agent jackpots they hand out. Drafting solid prospects who aren't going to be able to contribute as much in year one as they will in year 4 isn't something I see as a problem.
Bucket! Bucket!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#683 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:59 pm

I've pointed out that no one here would have taken Troy Brown, but I haven't said what my draft strategy would have been. It was a little complicated. I'll try to be brief.

1. I would have contacted the agents of all the guys I liked best who might not be drafted & told them that if their guy went undrafted I wanted him for SL (or in some cases for SL & camp). The agents should call immediately & I would give their guy a nice cash bonus for him giving me first choice. I would have reminded the agents that I was starting a new G League team from scratch & would love to have their guy on that team if nothing better. Out of those who in fact did go undrafted, my list would have included Rawle Alkins, Gary Clark, Brandon McCoy, Malik Newman, Bonzie Colson & Kenrich Williams. I would have signed 3 or more them. How many depends on how the rest of my draft strategy went.

2. If I could make no other deals (see below), & given how the draft actually went, my picks would have been Zhaire Smith & Keita Bates-Diop. & I'd be happy.

3. If Smith was already gone, & given the various problem reports on Williams, I'd have rolled the dice on a lower pick -- I'd have tried to send my #15 & #44 to the Sixers for all the rest of their picks (26, 38, 39, 56 & 60). That would either work or come close (evidence being the deals they actually did make: they traded #s 56 & 60 for #54 & #38 for 2 future R2 picks).

Assuming that deal could be done I would have gotten lucky & taken Robert Williams #26. Had he not been there, I'd have taken Okobo (or else maybe Wagner). @ # 38 I take Khyri Smith. @ #39 it would have been Jarred Vanderbilt or De'Anthony Melton (I don't know which -- probably would have flipped a coin). At #56 I would either have taken Ray Spalding, followed by either Alkins or McCoy w/ #60, or else I'd have done what Philly did which is trade those 2 picks for #54 & taken Shake Milton (I'd have been thinking of how E'Twaun Moore, a similar guy, turned out).

In that case, instead of Smith & Bates-Diop, it's Williams (or Okobo if he's not there), Thomas, Vanderbilt or Melton, & Spalding or Milton -- plus signing some of the undrafteds listed above.

I assume the reason for all this is obvious: I want to fill out the back of my bench with young players, seed my G League team w/ guys I think have promise, & of course get my 2-Way guys as well. IOW, I want 6 or more assets, & as it turns out I'm able to get them -- including a tremendous prospect IMO in Zhaire Smith or (if he's gone) a very talented but somewhat chance-y big in Robert Williams.

4. But, wait, there's more! :) Since the draft, realizing that Ernie was going to trade Gortat immediately for anything he could get, I see that I could have tried to work out a more extensive draft-day deal with Philly in which they got Gortat & I took Bayless (whom they want to dump).

I don't like Bayless & I have no idea how Philly views Gortat. But, they do need a backup Center, & he would give them a convenient way to kick the can down the road for a year. Bayless too is expiring, & I'd rather pay his salary ($7.5m) than Rivers. Plus it actually does get us out of the luxury tax i think. Might not have worked. Worth trying.

There you have it. PIF's draft 2018. Seem realistic to you?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#684 » by WizarDynasty » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:12 am

Troy Brown is head and shoulders better than z smith. Z smith is basically a mini shawn marion without the man to man defensive abilities, locked into a point guards body. Not good. energy bench guy. troy brown is like a smarter version of demar rozan. less leap ability but more body control while dribbling and way smarter defensively and getting creating for team mates.
zhaire smith has terrible handles for an undersize shooting guard. He also has not stop and go ability with the basketball. Huge red flag.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
payitforward
RealGM

Post#685 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:14 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:Troy Brown is head and shoulders better than z smith. ...

The nice thing is we'll be able to check in on that statement over the months & years. We'll find out whether you are right or you are wrong.

Inasmuch as Troy is now a Wizard, I hope you are right. A little better would suffice (don't want to wish bad things on anyone!).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#686 » by AFM » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:12 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:Troy Brown is head and shoulders better than z smith. Z smith is basically a mini shawn marion without the man to man defensive abilities, locked into a point guards body. Not good. energy bench guy. troy brown is like a smarter version of demar rozan. less leap ability but more body control while dribbling and way smarter defensively and getting creating for team mates.
zhaire smith has terrible handles for an undersize shooting guard. He also has not stop and go ability with the basketball. Huge red flag.

bro just checked out your vid in your sig....dude you had em dancin like fred astaire, hashtag Me Too on the whole squad
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#687 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jul 1, 2018 3:26 am

closg00 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Butbutbutbutbut... Brown can play more positions than ZSmith. He probably can't play them well at all, but... he can play more positions!!!

...and, he's LONGER! (just as icky as it sounds; but that IS the fascination with EG and company. They like long)

They don't care about performance over time. They prefer (their) PERCEPTION OF POTENTIAL in that player...DOWN THE ROAD BECAUSE IN THEIR MYOPIC MINDS NO ROOKIE CAN HELP...and, their max players are the shyt and shyznit.

Brown can be the Uber driver, too.

:nod: Yup, Ernie's pattern is very clear over the years when it comes to how he uses draft assets, in this draft he took the youngest players possible with both picks and he is looking to see which vets he can get to plug-into the roster this summer, this is what he does continuously.

It's working to the tune of 15-16 years. Wizards are respected as a playoff team. Wall and Beal are young "stars". They THINK Otto's injury was their biggest problem and they got rid of the guy they think had a big mouth.

Ernie drafted PRECISELY THE WAY HE HAS in the past. He didn't get fired over Vesely. Not for Foye/Miller instead of Steph.

Why would Ernie change a thing????
Bye bye Beal.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#688 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jul 1, 2018 9:48 pm

But he just did some nice charity work for PR? Dude is trying really hard to live up to his rep. :(
Read on Twitter
?s=21
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#689 » by DrCoach » Sun Jul 1, 2018 11:57 pm

“Robert Williams missed his flight and was not in attendance at his first Summer League practice with the Celtics on Sunday.”

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#690 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 1:03 pm

Yeah I think we dodged a bullet with Williams.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#691 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jul 5, 2018 2:06 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Yeah I think we dodged a bullet with Williams.

Also, I see people point to Lonnie Walker... I see tantalizing athleticism, but also a lot of hype about a shot that didnt actually go in that much.
Inefficient scorer, ball stopper/non-creator, doesnt draw fouls or shoot FT's that well.... Dont get it. Looks like Nick Young to me.

And I dont want this to get political, but his tweet about the 4th is ignorant in my opinion.
Will never celebrate 4th of July. Know your history‼ and stay woke

Even if you agree with it, you have to admit its pretty dumb for a 19 y/o rookie to say something like that in San Antonio... why be divisive before you even step on the court.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#692 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 5, 2018 3:58 pm

I think that tweet was deleted. Thank god lol
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#693 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jul 5, 2018 4:10 pm

I wasn't thrilled about Lonnie Walker as a player but the kid is not a moron. He is a kid by the way so he's allowed to Tweet his thoughts and then delete it when he gets too much sh-t. He's a science geek.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/05/21/potential-nba-lottery-pick-lonnie-walker-earth-definitely-illusion/629283002/
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#694 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 5, 2018 4:23 pm

80sballboy wrote:I wasn't thrilled about Lonnie Walker as a player but the kid is not a moron. He is a kid by the way so he's allowed to Tweet his thoughts and then delete it when he gets too much sh-t. He's a science geek.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/05/21/potential-nba-lottery-pick-lonnie-walker-earth-definitely-illusion/629283002/

I don’t see “science geek” anywhere in that lol, I see “guy pretending to be unique and interesting but sounds like an idiot”

“The earth is an illusion, that’s my conspiracy”

“Will never celebrate 4th of July. Know your history‼ and stay woke”
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#695 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jul 5, 2018 4:28 pm

80sballboy wrote:I wasn't thrilled about Lonnie Walker as a player but the kid is not a moron. He is a kid by the way so he's allowed to Tweet his thoughts and then delete it when he gets too much sh-t. He's a science geek.

IQ/Intelligence aside...its awareness. You are a 19 y/o multi millionaire because of this great country. Why take a shot on the most patriotic day of the year. Again, Awareness.
Im sure he works hard and is clearly gifted genetically, but only in the US does this sort of thing happen this fast. God Bless
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#696 » by closg00 » Thu Jul 5, 2018 4:29 pm

Pack journalism, I’m going to give the kid this summer to get his stuff together. I bet the Celts find a way to get him minutes this year.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#697 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jul 5, 2018 4:43 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

IQ/Intelligence aside...its awareness. You are a 19 y/o multi millionaire because of this great country. Why take a shot on the most patriotic day of the year. Again, Awareness.
Im sure he works hard and is clearly gifted genetically, but only in the US does this sort of thing happen this fast. God Bless

There aren't many NBA prospects that are interested in astronomy. I'm not. Should he have taken a shot about the 4th as a new NBA millionaire? Like I said, at 19, we all made some comments that we probably wanted taken back. I'd be a lot more worried about Robert Williams' tardiness than Lonnie Walker being "woke" but that's just me.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#698 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jul 5, 2018 4:46 pm

closg00 wrote:

Pack journalism, I’m going to give the kid this summer to get his stuff together. I bet the Celts find a way to get him minutes this year.

Sure but when your biggest negatives are these: • Questions linger about his consistency and desire to improve. Began the season on suspension for violating team rules.

And you start out late or miss two things before the SL even starts, that's concerning. That's why he was drafted 27th and why the Celts can handle his issues much easier than we can because they already have two established bigs in front of him. It's why we weren't going to draft him. That and he probably didn't interview well, which again, could be overblown.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/18/robert-williams-nba-draft-2018-scouting-report-highlights-strengths-mock-draft
payitforward
RealGM

Post#699 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 7, 2018 6:07 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

Also, I see people point to Lonnie Walker... I see tantalizing athleticism, but also a lot of hype about a shot that didnt actually go in that much.
Inefficient scorer, ball stopper/non-creator, doesnt draw fouls or shoot FT's that well.... Dont get it. Looks like Nick Young to me.

And I dont want this to get political, but his tweet about the 4th is ignorant in my opinion.
Will never celebrate 4th of July. Know your history‼ and stay woke

Even if you agree with it, you have to admit its pretty dumb for a 19 y/o rookie to say something like that in San Antonio... why be divisive before you even step on the court.

It would be dumb as a rationally calculated statement, to be sure. But, come on -- whatever else Walker is, above all he's a 19-year old!

At 19, there is nothing you do not understand! I don't know about you, but I said a lot dumber things than that when I was 19.

Of course, when I was 19 there was no global megaphone (Internet) that rang out to the world every dumb thing I said. I just said them to my friends. & then they said some equally dumb thing back to me. & then we all nodded our heads to acknowledge just how smart we all were.

I'm happy to give Lonnie a break on that one.

As to "the Earth is an illusion" -- at least he didn't claim it's a flat illusion! :)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#700 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 7, 2018 6:15 pm

I wish we would let Robert Williams alone -- of course he needs to get his act together, but this is still a kid, & like any kid he needs people to be on his side not against him.

Think about most kids his age; would they be able to handle the $$ & attention that someone like Williams has gotten? I can't even imagine what it must be like.

He gets to be a bonehead. Yes, he needs to stop being one, but he does get to be one first!

Return to Washington Wizards