ImageImageImageImageImage

2018 NBA Draft Thread Pt. II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread Pt. II 

Post#701 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 7, 2018 6:41 pm

Actually, I didn't check in to this thread to talk about those two kids. I checked in to talk about Troy Brown Jr.

He looks to be a player & a good one. Ok... one game :) -- but still! I'm glad he's a Wizard.

All the same, I can't help being annoyed at the sloppy way Ernie handled a draft which was so deep. Above all I'm annoyed b/c we are so in need of young talent, but then... this is how we got to be so thin.

We had business to acquire another high R2 pick, & we had multiple ways to do it. For one thing, it was common knowledge that Brett Brown loved Smith & that Phoenix, which had #16, badly wanted Mikal Bridges & were going to take Smith & give Philly whatever they had to, along w/ him, in return for Bridges.

Our job was to tell Phoenix that we were taking Smith @#15 (1 pick before them) unless they wanted to trade picks, in which case we needed a R2 pick from them to do the deal. Ideally that would have been either Philly's #38 or #39 (both of which they traded, btw -- #38 on draft night, #39 yesterday).

If you are a bad GM like Ernie, you don't fret details like that. You can get "a piece" any time you want. If you are smart like Philly's FO, you come out of the draft with more.

Philly turned their #10 into the #15 & an unprotected R1 pick (likely in the lottery) in 2021.
They turned their #38 into 2 -- yes two -- R2 picks from Detroit.
They turned their #39 into the Bulls 2019 R2 pick (via the Lakers) plus $$$ (which they can use to buy yet another pick if they want!)
They turned their #56 & #60 picks into Shake Milton -- a player with a real shot to make their team! (via a trade w/ the Mavs)

IOW, by being creative they came away from the draft w/ 3 players, 4 extra picks (incl. a high one), & $$$.

Ernie Grunfeld drives me nuts. Honestly, he really does. Instead of building a real team, we'll spend our $$$ on vet. minimum rental guys like Green & whoever else he plans pi$$ it away on.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#702 » by closg00 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 12:54 pm

Smith looks fine
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#703 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jul 8, 2018 8:23 pm

Smith is going to be a much, much, much better player than Brown.

EG and company suck.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#704 » by youngWizzy » Sun Jul 8, 2018 8:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#705 » by bsilver » Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:25 pm

youngWizzy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mitchell Robinson was my pick along, but no one else seemed to agree. Maybe they could have traded back and got him. Another draft steal IMO will be Divincenzo.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#706 » by WizarDynasty » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:37 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Smith is going to be a much, much, much better player than Brown.

EG and company suck.

He plays extremely out of control. Didn''t see any elite handle for an undersize shooting guard. His game is that of an oversize small forward, except he is an undersized shooting guard.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,353

Post#707 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:45 am

Since there is nothing better to do to compare meaningless summer league stats

Brown vs Smith through 2 games

Brown - 17 ppg, 0% from 3, 75 FT%, 8 RPG, 1.5 APG, 4 TOV, 2 STL, 0 BLK

Smith - 11.5 ppg, 20% from 3, 80 FT%, 2 RPG, 2.5 APG, 1.5 TOV, 2 STL, .5 BLK

Advantage Brown

(Insert Millie slogan here)
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#708 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:20 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Smith is going to be a much, much, much better player than Brown.

EG and company suck.

I think this was HARSH. I apologize.

I do think Zaire Smith will become a special NBA talent. Brown, I don't really know enough about to condemn/slam THIS early in his career. He is a well-spoken young man, obviously skilled enough to have become a near-lottery pick.

Smith is going to be really, really good.
Bye bye Beal.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 939

Post#709 » by jangles86 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:38 pm

I think we’ve found a gem in Brown. His size and handle are quite unusual. At 18 his potential is higher then Smith in my opinion.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#710 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

EG and company suck.

I think this was HARSH. I apologize.

I do think Zaire Smith will become a special NBA talent. Brown, I don't really know enough about to condemn/slam THIS early in his career. He is a well-spoken young man, obviously skilled enough to have become a near-lottery pick.

Smith is going to be really, really good.

You never know, of course, not in advance, but yes everything about Smith points to him having a shot at being a star. I would rather have Smith than Brown. At the same time, you could argue that what Brown has shown gives a little more certainty that he'll be a solid player at least.

But, in fact, this is Summer League! It's fun, it's useful, but it doesn't provide truly reliable insight into a guy's NBA future -- viz. GRIII.

In any case, if Ernie preferred Brown, the point is not that he was wrong in his preference. The point is that he could have gotten more out of the draft.

I mention once again that the Suns were determined to have Mikal B. & their only way to get him from Brett Brown was to offer Zhaire Smith (plus other stuff). If we'd taken Smith 1 pick before the Suns we could have gotten something out of them for swapping.

That is where having a lazy, conceited GM cost us (for the umpteenth time)....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#711 » by NatP4 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Read on Twitter
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#712 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm

payitforward wrote:I mention once again that the Suns were determined to have Mikal B. & their only way to get him from Brett Brown was to offer Zhaire Smith (plus other stuff). If we'd taken Smith 1 pick before the Suns we could have gotten something out of them for swapping.

Dude, you're reaching....
The suns wanted Bridges, so they contacted the teams in the 9-11 range to gauge their interest. Philly was open to moving down, assuming 1 of the players they wanted were there. Obviously that list included Smith, probably others as well.

I dont see what you're talking about. Are you saying we should of somehow known a trade was in the works and threaten to take Smith at 15 in hopes that Philly would send us some 2nd to swap?

Again, thats really reaching.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#713 » by DCZards » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:24 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:I mention once again that the Suns were determined to have Mikal B. & their only way to get him from Brett Brown was to offer Zhaire Smith (plus other stuff). If we'd taken Smith 1 pick before the Suns we could have gotten something out of them for swapping.

The suns wanted Bridges, so they contacted the teams in the 9-11 range to gauge their interest. Philly was open to moving down, assuming 1 of the players they wanted were there. Obviously that list included Smith, probably others as well.

I dont see what you're talking about. Are you saying we should of somehow known a trade was in the works and threaten to take Smith at 15 in hopes that Philly would send us some 2nd to swap?

PIF, reaching. I'm shocked. :D

BTW, Philly will regret trading Bridges for Smith.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#714 » by NatP4 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:39 pm

It’s such a ridiculous reach. Philly surely called Phoenix after they saw Smith on the board at 16.

Of course you could probably make a nice little profit if you could predict the future and see all trades ahead of time.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#715 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That sounds like it could be a long term issue.

I'm feeling better about not picking him.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,353

Post#716 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 pm

DCZards wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

PIF, reaching. I'm shocked. :D

BTW, Philly will regret trading Bridges for Smith.

It will be interesting to monitor over the next few years. I had Bridges rated as a better prospect than Smith, then again Smith is almost 3 years younger than Bridges. Philadelphia also got Miami's 2021 unprotected first round pick. I don't think Washington had similar valued assets to move up on the table.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#717 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:46 pm

BTW, ESPN Insider put out our future draft picks and draft trades. I don't think we'll ever draft in the second round again.

WASHINGTON WIZARDS
Owned

WAS: 2019 first-round pick

ATL: 2019 second-round pick (protected Nos. 31-55)

WAS: 2020 first-round pick

WAS: 2021 first-round pick

WAS: 2022 first-round pick

WAS: 2022 second-round pick

WAS: 2023 first-round pick

WAS: 2023 second-round pick

WAS: 2024 first-round pick

WAS: 2024 second-round pick

WAS: 2025 first-round pick

WAS: 2025 second-round pick

Owed

2019 second-round pick to ORL

2020 second-round pick to MIL (protected Nos. 31-55)

2021 second-round pick to UTA
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#718 » by closg00 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:42 am

80sballboy wrote:BTW, ESPN Insider put out our future draft picks and draft trades. I don't think we'll ever draft in the second round again.

WASHINGTON WIZARDS
Owned

Owed

Wow, what the actual Phuk...damning
payitforward
RealGM

Post#719 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:56 am

pcbothwel wrote:Dude, you're reaching....

I dont see what you're talking about. Are you saying we should of somehow known a trade was in the works and threaten to take Smith at 15 in hopes that Philly would send us some 2nd to swap?...

Not reaching.... but, the truth I must admit is that no one should pay as much attention to this kind of thing as I do. But I can't help myself.

Obviously, if Philly took Bridges at 10 they were content w/ the move -- nobody forced them to take him. So, no, it wouldn't have been a matter of trading with Philly.

(Well... I suppose we might have tried to trade our #15 to them -- so they could take Smith and still keep Bridges -- say in return for all the rest of their picks: 26, 38, 39, 56 & 60. As it turned out, that might well have been a good move. We would have been able to wind up with Williams (or maybe even TBJ?), Khyri Thomas, DeAnthony Melton, Keita Bates-Diop {@44}, Gary Clark (or Ray Spalding?) & Trevon Duval (or Brandon McCoy? or Gary Clark?), but it could easily have seemed too risky at the time.)

But I'm referring to the deal that happened, & the possibility we had to disrupt it for the Phoenix Suns. &, if I knew this was being brewed, do you really think every GM in the league didn't know? This is the age of twitter, etc. in which all information is known by all people asap. The Suns just had to have Bridges, & they gave an enormous lot, a ridiculously enormous lot, to acquire him.

But, your description is not how the deal went down. After the Sixers picked @#10, the Suns called Brett Brown repeatedly & kept raising the offer for Bridges until he finally acceded.

But, the entire deal was contingent on the Suns supplying Zhaire Smith. Brown thinks Smith is going to be a superstar -- the guy he has compared him to is Kawhi Leonard (Brown was in charge of player development for SA when Leonard was drafted & his first few years).

The way you disrupt the deal is by letting the Suns know that you are taking Smith unless they supply something to make it worth passing on him.

Obviously, for franchises this is high-stakes, big-business poker. There are many many millions of dollars involved. It goes w/o saying that what I'm describing as the way to handle it might not have succeeded. But, isn't the difference obvious between the way Ernie Grunfeld managed this draft & the way, for example, Brett Brown did?

Philly went into this draft with 6 picks (#s 10, 26, 38, 39, 56 & 60). They came out of the draft with Zhaire Smith, Landry Shamet & Shake Milton plus four new draft picks: Miami's 2021 unprotected R1 pick (good likelihood it'll be in the lottery) & three R2 picks (2 from Detroit & 1 from the Lakers). The Miami pick came from the Suns, 2 of the R2 picks came from Detroit in return for #38, the other one came from the Lakers in return for Bonga, picked #39. They got Shake Milton by swapping their #s 56 & 60 to the Mavs for their #54.

It's not that Ernie is incapable of this kind of dealing -- not at all. Look at what he did in 2010 when he was under orders to rebuild through the draft. & by way of acquiring picks for 2011 (used poorly, but that's a different matter); we even had 3 picks in 2012, though one was jettisoned in the Okariza trade.

It's just that now that we are a mediocre team playing to pretty full houses, he & Ted are happy just to serve up their "stars," & rake in the $.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#720 » by nuposse04 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:56 am

80sballboy wrote:BTW, ESPN Insider put out our future draft picks and draft trades. I don't think we'll ever draft in the second round again.

WASHINGTON WIZARDS
Owned

Owed

Trading to Utah was so asinine. Hopefully they learned their **** lesson.

I doubt we have to surrender our 2020 pic, no way are we going to have a top 5 record.

Return to Washington Wizards