ImageImageImageImageImage

Howard signs a 2 year deal for the tax MLE with a player option per Woj

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,962

Re: Howard signs a 2 year deal for the tax MLE with a player option per Woj 

Post#601 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:00 pm

I would rather do it Howard forget about his physique and shoot thousands of jumpers because he's naturally strong and quick and agile

Sent from my LG-TP260 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#602 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:I did read the article, though skimmed it sort of, but your summation here isn't wrong. As for slimming down, though, you can say that without bringing up Davis or Durant. Those guys are slim in ways Dwight is simply never going to be and they've never had to slim down whatsoever. Transition and playing in space? Maybe, even there though, that's still focusing on the offensive end. Offense isn't his issue in the sense of needing to do more - defense is. To be honest, if you want to go out of position, I feel that by far the best example of a guy who slimmed down and evolved his game over time to play less offense and do more off the ball is Kyle Lowry. Dwight isn't doing anything any other number of players in the NBA weren't already doing and even if he suddenly decides to get on board in ways that offseason articles and one-off videos can't show doesn't actually mean he's going to be good at it.

And with Dwight, I don't actually feel work ethic was ever his issue. Dwight has been in the league for some time. He's busted his ass to stay in shape and it's been clearly evident. He came into the league as a kid that would eat 24 candy bars a day or whatever and dramatically changed his diet repeatedly. He's been pretty resistant to changing his game and he's had issues with his teammates feeling he's soft and more interested in stardom stats than making things easier for the team. Now the names of Durant and Davis are thrown out of all people? Why are we supposed to accept that as meaning anything whatsoever.

I don't actually see this as being dirty or anything, like Hibbert suggested. The reality is that the article is entirely meaningless. Howard has been talking about his diet and cardio and slimming down last season with the Hornets. He's used all sorts of words out there. I get where Candace is coming from. It's her article and she doesn't want it disparaged like that, and that's a fair point. But the reality is, with Dwight, he's done so many different songs and dances that offseason words are nothing more than platitudes. He's basically cried wolf everywhere he's gone, explained why things weren't just right and what he was going to do to change things. And the results were remarkably similar every time. I hope this is the time Dwight actually does change for the better. I'm just not convinced. If I had to guess, he's going to wind up like Vince Carter, where he's still good enough to warrant being in the league and play a role for any number of teams for some time, but floating around from team to team, never actually making such an impact that teams are scrambling for his services. The career arcs are obviously very different, but I feel there are quite a few parallels between Dwight and Vince. Now that I think about it, the only reason Vince Carter wouldn't be the best name to throw out there is because he's no longer a star anymore.

I mean there's clearly a difference between Dwight Howard and other players. Howard is one of the greatest athletic specimens we've ever seen to this point in human history. And I don't think that's an exaggeration. You typed a whole lot of negative things regarding Howard, but you forgot to mention that he's been averaging a double double for his entire career, and is top 10 all-time in winshares among centers. If he thinks slimming down and becoming more mobile will help him remain impactful in the league, I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

You're right that the article is meaningless - which is why it's completely silly for people to jump out the window and act like he's running around saying he's going to be Kevin Durant, or that he's expecting to average 30ppg like Anthony Davis. He never said that! lol.

What we do know is that Dwight works extremely hard on his physique and functional athleticism - and he doesn't have to say it, we can clearly see it. If Dwight is able to replicate his production of the last few years, but with even more mobility on the defensive end and in transition he'll be very, VERY effective in Washington. And for an MLE salary that kind of production could be a complete steal.
This is a beautiful post that I just am going off on because I'm a short fat guy

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#603 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Ruzious wrote:Jeebus, even at 32, he's probably the best physical specimen in the NBA - including Anthony Davis and Lebron. His shoulders are absurd. If he stays motivated, he really could play till he's 40.
At one point he even had a higher per player efficiency rating than LeBron James

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#604 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:05 pm

keynote wrote:The article is hilarious, and no one can convince me otherwise. It's the stuff of silly summer offseason legend.

Folks throwing on their capes to defend Dwight from the mild fallout from this article (and by "fallout," I mean "jokes") is also hilarious. Relax. We all want the Dwight signing to be successful. I dunno if any of us were expecting to sign a Mr. Olympia competitor with the game of an Antonio Davis/Kevin Durant hybrid at 263 lbs for the MLE. But none of us would turn that down, either. :D

Yada yada

Not about me...
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#605 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:06 pm

cdouglas wrote:Yes, I'll defend Dwight Howard as long as he's playing in DC against all the haters all because he WANTS TO BE HERE IN DC!! Unlike KD and Carmello.
Since I'm already the John Wall hater I guess I got to show love to Dwight Howard and that is a joke for the most part
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#606 » by montestewart » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am 5 foot 8 and right now I weigh around 280 lb. I look like a black Uncle Fester if I've got dark Rings under my eyes.

About a month ago at 24 Hour Fitness a young fellow approached me after he saw me doing some of my workout routine...

You got great functional athleticism and strength sir was basically what he said

In my opinion I'm a GD freak of nature. I am the closest thing to a Silverback and a human being that you will ever see. I am big I am strong I am fast I am flexible and I'm a great dancer

But to the less I don't know intelligent I want to say to the stupid people but that's not fair to the people who go by BMI I am morbidly obese

Is that number for effect? You didn't look like you weighed 280 a few years ago.

FTR, I wasn't in favor of acquisition, but as long as he's here, I'm hoping for 18/13/3, all time highs in asst%, TS%, FT%, all time lows in TO% and PF rate, and contending for most improved player. It's time for the third phase of your career Dwight!
RealGM

Post#607 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:49 am

montestewart wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am 5 foot 8 and right now I weigh around 280 lb. I look like a black Uncle Fester if I've got dark Rings under my eyes.

About a month ago at 24 Hour Fitness a young fellow approached me after he saw me doing some of my workout routine...

You got great functional athleticism and strength sir was basically what he said

In my opinion I'm a GD freak of nature. I am the closest thing to a Silverback and a human being that you will ever see. I am big I am strong I am fast I am flexible and I'm a great dancer

But to the less I don't know intelligent I want to say to the stupid people but that's not fair to the people who go by BMI I am morbidly obese

Is that number for effect? You didn't look like you weighed 280 a few years ago.

FTR, I wasn't in favor of acquisition, but as long as he's here, I'm hoping for 18/13/3, all time highs in asst%, TS%, FT%, all time lows in TO% and PF rate, and contending for most improved player. It's time for the third phase of your career Dwight!

When my Dad was (FINALLY) buried; three years ago...June 2015 (HE DIED in DEC 2014--had to wait for FULL MILITARY HONORS @ ARLINGTON...SNOWED OUT THE FIRST TIME I SPENT MONEY FLYING TO DC in MAR 2015...so pops was on ice or however they preserve remains...6 months)

BK that time we ate at...Boston Carver (?) my memory fades but I KNOW it was nearby, in Arlington or close...Cut

the rest was rant ...
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#608 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:51 am

THE 1st Sgt I was talking to, I didn't want to frighten him....

I did eventually get on the scales that day...I think 278

TERRIFIED but nice to me. I told him IMO I'm a freak of nature...i dunno
Bye bye Beal.
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#609 » by TheBabyMaker » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:03 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:THE 1st Sgt I was talking to, I didn't want to frighten him....

Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)

Man I wish I could even visit that place once.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 546

Post#610 » by daSwami » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Weird to see Dwight Howard get slammed (egregiously) on Last Week Tonight.
:banghead:
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#611 » by JWizmentality » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:42 pm

daSwami wrote:Weird to see Dwight Howard get slammed (egregiously) on Last Week Tonight.

Yeah I saw that too, caught me off guard. wtf. :lol: :lol:
RealGM

Post#612 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:24 am

TheBabyMaker wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:THE 1st Sgt I was talking to, I didn't want to frighten him....

Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)

Man I wish I could even visit that place once.
The Hawaiian islands are beautiful, but the cost of living is ridiculously high.

Bye bye Beal.
TheBabyMaker
Starter

Post#613 » by TheBabyMaker » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Hawaiian islands are beautiful, but the cost of living is ridiculously high.

I only need to live there for 1 week :D :(
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,205

Post#614 » by NatP4 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 pm

TheBabyMaker wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Hawaiian islands are beautiful, but the cost of living is ridiculously high.

airbnb
TheBabyMaker
Starter

Post#615 » by TheBabyMaker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:23 pm

NatP4 wrote:
TheBabyMaker wrote:

airbnb

I'm only 48 with a high school education. Hep me out with this. Younging, Layman terms for me.
RealGM

Post#616 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:02 am

TheBabyMaker wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
TheBabyMaker wrote:

airbnb

I'm only 48 with a high school education. Hep me out with this. Younging, Layman terms for me.
Just ask Siri or Google I don't really have a clue about Airbnb either.

I'm 57 and what we used to say as a kid I'm flicted.

In all seriousness I put myself in for depression little while I'm going to stop talking down. I'm an intelligent warm sensitive human being and sometimes I'm just hard on myself
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#617 » by montestewart » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
TheBabyMaker wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
airbnb

In all seriousness I put myself in for depression little while I'm going to stop talking down. I'm an intelligent warm sensitive human being and sometimes I'm just hard on myself

Don't want to get to far off topic, but airbnb. Further discussion probably best in Random Thoughts thread.

Everything OK in Hawaii CCJ? I hear there's another hurricane on the way. And yes, you are too hard on yourself sometimes.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#618 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:I mean there's clearly a difference between Dwight Howard and other players. Howard is one of the greatest athletic specimens we've ever seen to this point in human history. And I don't think that's an exaggeration. You typed a whole lot of negative things regarding Howard, but you forgot to mention that he's been averaging a double double for his entire career, and is top 10 all-time in winshares among centers. If he thinks slimming down and becoming more mobile will help him remain impactful in the league, I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

What we do know is that Dwight works extremely hard on his physique and functional athleticism - and he doesn't have to say it, we can clearly see it. If Dwight is able to replicate his production of the last few years, but with even more mobility on the defensive end and in transition he'll be very, VERY effective in Washington. And for an MLE salary that kind of production could be a complete steal.

If you see what I wrote as a bunch of negatives, I see that as representative of the problem. There is some negative about what I wrote, but let's be real here, Dwight was a great player and still is a good player who can help a team. How do we perceive things? The fact that people are essentially taking offense to people having a laugh about Dwight's trainer making comments about patterning his game after Kevin Durant is ridiculous. It's absolutely worth a laugh.

As for Dwight averaging a double double, so what? I'm not sure he wouldn't help his team more to average fewer counting stats stuff and do more of the non-counting stuff. He isn't going to do that, though. Dwight's an extremely hard worker - we clearly both agree there. And right now he's working on the Kevin Durant/Anthony Davis side of things, which is clearly counting stats stuff. Dwight developing a jumper would be great. Dwight becoming changing direction to become more Rasheed Wallace than Ben Wallace on defense would have allowed him to transition gracefully as a star player rather than the fall we see. That isn't an easy feat, mind you. There's a reason not many NBA players make that kind of transition, so even though you may see it that way it isn't actually an insult to suggest Dwight missed out on some potential by failing to recognize that path - it's more a complement in the sense of his physical traits (which you so aptly describe) and willingness to put in the required work that have given him an opportunity almost no other human being has ever had. He just hasn't had the mindset to take advantage of it.

Howard invariably winds up finding his ways to teams that are willing to try him out as a centerpiece role, or as close to that kind of role as he can get. The Warriors players didn't want him - granted they got Cousins, but by all accounts Cousins was irrelevant for that lack of interest. This isn't because Dwight doesn't work hard, or is a bad player or is a bad person, because none of that is true. He isn't the first player in the NBA to have his ego and own self-image get in his own way, but it does sadden me a little bit to see a player with his obvious potential come so close to achieving that potential, only to be derailed by a combination of both injuries and ego.
Bucket! Bucket!
RealGM

Post#619 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:24 am

montestewart wrote:
TheBabyMaker wrote:

Don't want to get to far off topic, but airbnb. Further discussion probably best in Random Thoughts thread.

Everything OK in Hawaii CCJ? I hear there's another hurricane on the way. And yes, you are too hard on yourself sometimes.

Hurricane missed...sorry to take so long to check in. I got some help for my depression.

Oddly, or sadly, two people who I went to HS with passed in that same week (not close friends, but both from my neighborhood 13 and 19 August). Nothing is promised. ENJOY life to the fullest. One of them had been running his dogs. Healthy, fit guy just passed away....
Bye bye Beal.
TheBabyMaker
Starter

Post#620 » by TheBabyMaker » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:14 am

montestewart wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Just ask Siri or Google I don't really have a clue about Airbnb either.

Hurricane missed...sorry to take so long to check in. I got some help for my depression.

Oddly, or sadly, two people who I went to HS with passed in that same week (not close friends, but both from my neighborhood 13 and 19 August). Nothing is promised. ENJOY life to the fullest. One of them had been running his dogs. Healthy, fit guy just passed away....

Well glad to hear about the hurricane missing you. :D

Well that sucks sorry to hear about your friends passing though. I do enjoy life the best I can (damn sure do more than I should) at my age. Working, drinking beer and riding bike 30-50 miles a day (and worrying about my Wizards). I weigh 10lbs more than I did 30 years ago at 188.

Return to Washington Wizards