ImageImageImageImageImage

Howard signs a 2 year deal for the tax MLE with a player option per Woj

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Re: Howard signs a 2 year deal for the tax MLE with a player option per Woj 

Post#681 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Haha, Dwight has the security of that player option, the option Ernie ALWAYS gives to the player. Howard will be back, perhaps in drag.

Ok, that was wrong :)
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#682 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:35 pm

closg00 wrote:Haha, Dwight has the security of that player option, the option Ernie ALWAYS gives to the player. Howard will be back, perhaps in drag.

Ok, that was wrong :)

If Dwight can ever get healthy, I'm not too worried about that player option.

50 games of Dwight posting the numbers he has posted so far in his 9 healthy games is definitely worth $6M.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#683 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:02 pm

nate33 wrote:If Dwight can ever get healthy, I'm not too worried about that player option.

50 games of Dwight posting the numbers he has posted so far in his 9 healthy games is definitely worth $6M.

I'm not so sure about that. Dwight feels like a variation of Melo overall. His numbers are solid and have been reasonably good for a while now but no team ever really wants him. It's odd but he's gone from a player who made his name on defense to a player who's defense didn't evolve enough to remain relevant defensively and now he's left hoping that his offensive contributions can make up for his defensive ones and fighting an uphill battle. He is far from alone amongst centers in that respect in the modern NBA but teams everywhere are offloading centers and finding newer, cheaper ones that look poised to be more versatile defensively than older, more traditional ones.

I don't think his contract is awful or anything but any team with him hanging around with his expectation of what rotation minutes and role will be is likely going to struggle to play anything better than .500 ball because it means they're foregoing better options or they don't have better options. That may be true in the Wizards case and struggling to play .500 ball seems to be an Ernie Grunfeld specialty but I'd like to see the Wizards aim for more even if it means sacrificing a bit in order to develop a foundation over time.
Bucket! Bucket!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#684 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:17 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
nate33 wrote:If Dwight can ever get healthy, I'm not too worried about that player option.

I'm not so sure about that. Dwight feels like a variation of Melo overall. His numbers are solid and have been reasonably good for a while now but no team ever really wants him. It's odd but he's gone from a player who made his name on defense to a player who's defense didn't evolve enough to remain relevant defensively and now he's left hoping that his offensive contributions can make up for his defensive ones and fighting an uphill battle. He is far from alone amongst centers in that respect in the modern NBA but teams everywhere are offloading centers and finding newer, cheaper ones that look poised to be more versatile defensively than older, more traditional ones.

I don't think his contract is awful or anything but any team with him hanging around with his expectation of what rotation minutes and role will be is likely going to struggle to play anything better than .500 ball because it means they're foregoing better options or they don't have better options. That may be true in the Wizards case and struggling to play .500 ball seems to be an Ernie Grunfeld specialty but I'd like to see the Wizards aim for more even if it means sacrificing a bit in order to develop a foundation over time.

Bear in mind that there will be an awful lot of money chasing free agents this summer. Dwight will have to make the decision prior to free agency whether or not he wants to make himself available. If he ever gets healthy and manages to play about as well as he has played so far, then I think the likelihood is high that he'll opt out so he can participate in the free agency frenzy.
closg00
RealGM

Post#685 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Here’s a novel idea, you don’t have to have more expensive, aging vets as principals in your front court when younger/cheaper/athletic guys have been available and would be better fits alongside our core.
After 6-7 years on the Wizards, John politely suggested we acquire more athletic front court players. It’s good to see Thomas accidentally getting playing time now
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#686 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 pm

He might opt out. I'm sure his agent is going to have feelers out before free agency hits, though. Yes, there will be a lot of money to go around but that money is going to be eaten up really fast. There are very few potential bidders for Dwight. None of the bad/rebuilding teams will want him. None of the teams he's played for will want him. Very few of the good teams are actually leaning on centers much anymore and the ones that are tend to have one really good one and that's about it, and they aren't looking for anything more. The Warriors players already made it perfectly clear they want no part of Dwight on their roster. You need to find teams that are still potentially clinging to older NBA concepts, trying to win, and who prioritize veterans.

Just looking around the league at teams that might be willing to give him a shot: Memphis, New Orleans... You could potentially throw the Kings in there since they're unpredictable but they have WCS and Bagley and they seem to have calmed down a bit. Maybe the Wolves but Thibs likes hard-nosed veterans who will tolerate his shenanigans and Dwight doesn't strike me as that kind of player. This is where I'd normally toss in any team managed by Billy King or Ernie Grunfeld, but that's a problem.

I can't think of a single team that would want him as their starter. We're talking about a handful of teams that might want him as their backup and most of the league isn't actually paying backup centers nearly so much anymore. Beyond that, consider all the potential free agent centers next offseason: Horford, Baynes, Theis, Ed Davis, Kaminsky, Robin Lopez, Jordan, Cousins, Looney, Bell, Gortat, Boban, Chandler, Marc Gasol (player option), Whiteside (won't exercise his option if he's smart but who knows), Kanter, Vonley, Noel, Vucevic, WCS, Valanciunas (like Whiteside, isn't likely to exercise his player option). I've left a few players here and there off that list but got the main ones. That's a LOT of talent at C right there.

How many teams are really going to throw money at Dwight? I hope he opts out or there is a trade for him. He isn't close to the worst problem the Wizards have and at worst he just expires next offseason. So yeah, not a major issue. I'd just love to see any degree of proactivity because the thing with Grunfeld teams is that it isn't actually the major issues that cause the team the most problems even though it's the major issues that prompt begrudging change. It's the death by a bunch of little minor issues that always get put off because they aren't that big deal when collectively they are a big deal.
Bucket! Bucket!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,261

Post#687 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:51 pm

"Is it over? Is it safe to come out yet?"

-Dwight Howard, this morning

Read on Twitter
closg00
RealGM

Post#688 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Has anyone heard the alleged recording? Also, has Howard’s camp denied the allegations?
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#689 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:28 pm

closg00 wrote:Has anyone heard the alleged recording? Also, has Howard’s camp denied the allegations?

That's the odd thing about all of this: I don't think anyone has actually denied the allegations. Maybe they figure that not commenting at all is better than denying and creating a larger discussion that draws more attention to the issue but I'm not sure what I believe here.
Bucket! Bucket!
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#690 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:58 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
closg00 wrote:Has anyone heard the alleged recording? Also, has Howard’s camp denied the allegations?

That's the odd thing about all of this: I don't think anyone has actually denied the allegations. Maybe they figure that not commenting at all is better than denying and creating a larger discussion that draws more attention to the issue but I'm not sure what I believe here.

Or maybe his camp is preparing for litigation or a counter-suit. I've seen a lot of evidence pointing to the possibility of a hoax. Apparently the accuser has a history of being a known scammer in Atlanta and also tried to frame rapper Playboi Carti last year.

HOWEVA .. if it is true or even partially true, Howard is likely done in the NBA.

I don't care about his orientation and don't believe the players will either (John, Brad, and Otto played with Jason Collins , and iirc when he came out as gay the team was very supportive at least publicly) . Dwight has been a positive presence this year, but unfortunately there is a stigma in pro sports and his alternative lifestyle may not be welcomed in many locker rooms around the NBA. On top of that it looks like his body may be giving out on him. I think he will have no choice but to pick up his option next summer and the Wizards will likely initiate a buyout + retirement.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#691 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:

Or maybe his camp is preparing for litigation or a counter-suit. I've seen a lot of evidence pointing to the possibility of a hoax. Apparently the accuser has a history of being a known scammer in Atlanta and also tried to frame rapper Playboi Carti last year.

HOWEVA .. if it is true or even partially true, Howard is likely done in the NBA.

I don't care about his orientation and don't believe the players will either (John, Brad, and Otto played with Jason Collins , and iirc when he came out as gay the team was very supportive at least publicly) . Dwight has been a positive presence this year, but unfortunately there is a stigma in pro sports and his alternative lifestyle may not be welcomed in many locker rooms around the NBA. On top of that it looks like his body may be giving out on him. I think he will have no choice but to pick up his option next summer and the Wizards will likely initiate a buyout + retirement.

I don't agree with that. For as loud as this character's been, nobody's paid much attention to him. And whatever Howard's orientation is - who cares - considering he's not making an issue of it. Times have changed.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#692 » by LyricalRico » Thu Feb 7, 2019 9:50 pm

Bump for the inevitable buyout lol. Does anyone think he suits up for DC again?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#693 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:20 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Bump for the inevitable buyout lol. Does anyone think he suits up for DC again?

From Rotoworld.com:
Dwight Howard (back surgery) will likely spend another month on the sidelines.
Howard has officially eclipsed the two-month mark of his initial 2-3 month timetable, and while he continues to make progress, he's yet to participate in any practices, which suggests he's still not close. He'll be re-evaluated sometime in February (likely after the All-Star break), but the Wizards are in no rush to bring him back. Thomas Bryant will remain the starting center until D12 returns, and Jeff Green will spend some more time at the five-spot with Markieff Morris (neck) also unavailable for the foreseeable future. Jan 31 - 10:29 AM
Source: NBC Sports

Frankly, if I have to choose between Green, Portis, or Ian at backup center this season, I'd choose Howard. Hopefully, he can play some and boost his value enough to decide to opt out of his deal for next season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#694 » by JWizmentality » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Bump for the inevitable buyout lol. Does anyone think he suits up for DC again?

From Rotoworld.com:
Howard has officially eclipsed the two-month mark of his initial 2-3 month timetable, and while he continues to make progress, he's yet to participate in any practices, which suggests he's still not close. He'll be re-evaluated sometime in February (likely after the All-Star break), but the Wizards are in no rush to bring him back. Thomas Bryant will remain the starting center until D12 returns, and Jeff Green will spend some more time at the five-spot with Markieff Morris (neck) also unavailable for the foreseeable future. Jan 31 - 10:29 AM

Frankly, if I have to choose between Green, Portis, or Ian at backup center this season, I'd choose Howard. Hopefully, he can play some and boost his value enough to decide to opt out of his deal for next season.

If you're Howard, why would you opt out? He'll probably play some before the season is over but he's going to want to maximize his value with a full season under his belt, so we're probably stuck with him and taking playing time away from the young guy we should be grooming. Another EG gem.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#695 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:30 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

From Rotoworld.com:

If you're Howard, why would you opt out? He'll probably play some before the season is over but he's going to want to maximize his value with a full season under his belt, so we're probably stuck with him and taking playing time away from the young guy we should be grooming. Another EG gem.

Because at his age - it's either now or never. And he might want to actually play for a team that's not... terrible. I'm not saying there's a good chance he'll opt out, but if he finishes this season strong - at least there's a chance.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,827

Post#696 » by dckingsfan » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:33 pm

Ruzious wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
Ruzious wrote:From Rotoworld.com:

Because at his age - it's either now or never. And he might want to actually play for a team that's not... terrible. I'm not saying there's a good chance he'll opt out, but if he finishes this season strong - at least there's a chance.

You could accelerate the process. Sit down with Dwight and tell him he will be a backup and play 8-10 minutes per game and some games not at all depending on matchups.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#697 » by JWizmentality » Fri Feb 8, 2019 5:20 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

You could accelerate the process. Sit down with Dwight and tell him he will be a backup and play 8-10 minutes per game and some games not at all depending on matchups.

You're talking like this place is run by competent people. :D
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#698 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Still no specific timetable, but if he's starting on-the-court work, maybe he'll be back in 3 weeks or so. We just need him to play the last 10 or so games of the season and demonstrate that he is healthy. If he can do that, he'll surely opt out given the amount of money being thrown around at free agents this summer.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,846

Post#699 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:16 pm

Keep that good thought!! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#700 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 5, 2019 6:56 pm

Read on Twitter

lol

Return to Washington Wizards