ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#741 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 4, 2019 6:08 am

When they make the playoffs remember this.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#742 » by closg00 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:55 pm

Secret weapon under development
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#743 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 2:41 pm

closg00 wrote:Secret weapon under development

I think it's fairly likely that Fall will develop into a good post player, both on offense and defense. The problem is, he'll never get the opportunity to defend the post. Why would anybody try and post him up? They're going to pull him out to the perimeter and make him defend in space.

The one thing that interests me is that his massive height may make it difficult to stop him on offense if he continues to build his core strength. For the most part, post players don't get many opportunities these days because teams front the post. But Fall may be so tall that fronting the post is an ineffective means of stopping the entry pass. If he is strong enough to stand near the rim without being pushed out, he might present some problems for other teams.

I'm not sure if it matters much. I think he is going to be such a liability on defense that whatever he does on offense won't be enough.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#744 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:17 pm

Even if Memphis doesn't get to the playoffs this season, they are on the right track towards building a future championship contender, imo. At some point they'll need to add a couple of 3 point bombers.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#745 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 4, 2019 7:00 pm

Agreed, Ruz.

As to Tacko Fall -- it's fun to see someone make Enes Kanter look small! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
RealGM

Post#746 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:00 pm

This season pools are going to really look good with Otto and Sato.

Conversely, the Wizards are really stupid for letting those two guys go.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#747 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Pools?

Talk to text sucks.

The Bulls

Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#748 » by Ruzious » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:26 am

We occasionally bring up the idea that some players look they have bright futures, but they'll probably stink for a few years before the light goes on for them - so a smart team targets them for their 2nd contract and lets the team that drafted them develop them. I think we'll see that with Dragan Bender - the 4th pick of the 2016 draft - has sucked bad his first 3 NBA seasons. The Bucks gave him a 2 year/3.5 mil contract and have been excited as to what they're seeing. In the first 3 xhibition games, he's played 17.3 minutes per game averaging 13.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 2.0 blocks while shooting .583/.545/.750. Granted, it's not sustainable and is a small sample size, but at 21 years old - it looks like the light might be coming on for the 21 year old now playing for one of the better coaches in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#749 » by nate33 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:43 am

Ruzious wrote:We occasionally bring up the idea that some players look they have bright futures, but they'll probably stink for a few years before the light goes on for them - so a smart team targets them for their 2nd contract and lets the team that drafted them develop them. I think we'll see that with Dragan Bender - the 4th pick of the 2016 draft - has sucked bad his first 3 NBA seasons. The Bucks gave him a 2 year/3.5 mil contract and have been excited as to what they're seeing. In the first 3 xhibition games, he's played 17.3 minutes per game averaging 13.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 2.0 blocks while shooting .583/.545/.750. Granted, it's not sustainable and is a small sample size, but at 21 years old - it looks like the light might be coming on for the 21 year old now playing for one of the better coaches in the NBA.

Hopefully, Justin Anderson is another successful example of the "second draft" strategy.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#750 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:56 pm

Nice about Bender; wish him luck. &, yes, whether it's with us or elsewhere, I hope Justin Anderson makes his career work.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#751 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Hey, just noticed that a guy we talked about a lot in this year's draft thread -- Dedric Lawson -- has been signed by the Spurs. Lawson went undrafted & was with the Warriors in SL. It's an unguaranteed exhibit 10 deal, & SA already has 15 guys w/ guaranteed, so maybe he'll wind up a 2 way player for them. Or maybe he'll be cut.

I'd love him as our 2d 2 way player. He lacks athleticism, but he had a trremendous season with Kansas last year.
popper
Veteran
And1: 361

Post#752 » by popper » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Carsen Edwards is a rare offensive talent and point machine who is going to overwhelm opponents with his 3 point shooting. I badly wanted the Wiz to get in a position to draft him. Would love to have traded down for an opportunity to select him. Celtics are going to rebound this year and Edwards will be a big reason why.
closg00
RealGM

Post#753 » by closg00 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:30 pm

popper wrote:Carsen Edwards is a rare offensive talent and point machine who is going to overwhelm opponents with his 3 point shooting. I badly wanted the Wiz to get in a position to draft him. Would love to have traded down for an opportunity to select him. Celtics are going to rebound this year and Edwards will be a big reason why.

I was extremely jealous of the Celts watching him tearing it up in SL, I will be following him this season
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#754 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:49 pm

closg00 wrote:
popper wrote:Carsen Edwards is a rare offensive talent and point machine who is going to overwhelm opponents with his 3 point shooting. I badly wanted the Wiz to get in a position to draft him. Would love to have traded down for an opportunity to select him. Celtics are going to rebound this year and Edwards will be a big reason why.

I was extremely jealous of the Celts watching him tearing it up in SL, I will be following him this season

I don't know if Carsen Edwards can figure things out and become a true PG (which would make him a sure fire starter) or if he is destined merely to be an off-the-bench gunner in a PG's body. But, either way, he has a role in this league. If nothing else, put him on the 2nd unit with 4 one-dimensional defensive players, play pressure D, and have the half-court offense just be Carsen jacking up 3's off of high screens.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 611

Post#755 » by trast66 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Extensions today: J. Brown, Sabonis, Hield. A lot of money (risk) to them but teams had little choice, can't let them get to free agency. These extension make it more likely Myles Turner, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Bjelica, and Gordon Hayward are super available.

And Zion out for 8 weeks. He's too heavy.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#756 » by FAH1223 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:33 pm

trast66 wrote:Extensions today: J. Brown, Sabonis, Hield. A lot of money (risk) to them but teams had little choice, can't let them get to free agency. These extension make it more likely Myles Turner, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Bjelica, and Gordon Hayward are super available.

And Zion out for 8 weeks. He's too heavy.

Dejounte Murray also got 4 years $64M
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#757 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:Agreed -- Memphis is going to be an extremely interesting team this year!

But, Ruz, I'm curious -- what are you finding so interesting about the Hornets?

Sorry - I meant the Pelicans. I can never get used to that name. Yeah, the Hornets are likely going to be awful, imo.

Even with Mount Zion out, the Pels should be fun to watch. NAW was great in the preseason - I wouldn't be surprised if he's the ROY. But where do his minutes come from - they got so many wings in the offseason with the Lakers trade and signing Redick. If Jaxon Hayes is ready, they'll be a sight to see. They have a really deep roster. Look for them to trade Redick to a contender right before the trade deadline.
closg00
RealGM

Post#758 » by closg00 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:01 pm

I was completely wrong about Pascal Siakam and his worth, I thought he was promising but not ready for the big pay day, he's worth what he's getting paid now.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#759 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:48 pm

I'm assuming Golden State is going to tank now. The owe their 2020 pick to Brooklyn, but it's top 20 protected. They'll showcase Russell now and try and boost his trade value. If they could trade him at the Deadline or next summer for a couple of reliable vets, they'll get one more chance next year with Curry, Klay and Draymond before age catches up with them.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#760 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:01 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm assuming Golden State is going to tank now. The owe their 2020 pick to Brooklyn, but it's top 20 protected. They'll showcase Russell now and try and boost his trade value. If they could trade him at the Deadline or next summer for a couple of reliable vets, they'll get one more chance next year with Curry, Klay and Draymond before age catches up with them.

I assume so, too. They're far too thin to handle the kinds of injuries they were hit with. Even if they don't find a taker for Russell, it's not like he's a bad player or anything, just not on the level of their other stars. Having him as a 4th man along with a high draft pick and a chance to go fishing for a vet or two with the MLE seems like a recipe for building a very good top 8 rotation very quickly. They need to get a few things right along the way, though. And trading Russell would definitely help even more if the goal is winning next season, though I get the impression they also have their eye on succession planning a bit, too, and I'm not sure how that fits.
Bucket! Bucket!

Return to Washington Wizards