ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 5,619

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#1601 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:21 pm

An interesting story about the Sixers' problems signing Charles Bassey -- a guy a lot of us liked: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/09/sixers-charles-bassey-remain-at-impasse-in-contract-talks.html

There's a ton of fascinating info in this story, not just about Bassey either.

1. Philly bought the pick they used on Bassey from the Pelicans. From which we learn that R2 picks were available for $$.
2. We could have bought a R2 pick -- either that one or, very likely, another one.
3. The Sixers came into the draft with the #28 pick & the #50 pick. Although they are a much, much better team than the Wizards, they saw talent in R2, even late in the round, they could not let get past them. 2 picks were not enough for them. We on the other hand, traded down our draft capital in order to obtain Aaron Holiday.
4. That's worth clarifying: The Sixers are a younger team than we are. They are also a deeper team than we are. Anyone question that? Didn't think so. Yet, they felt a greater need for young talent than we did. I don't understand that, do you?
5. We picked Corey Kispert, a graduating senior, #15. At #28, the Sixers chose Jaden Springer, a 1 and done player. Let's see who turns into the better pro.
5. We took Isaiah Todd #31. The Sixers took Filip Petrusev #50 & Bassey #53. Now, in principle, the #31 pick is tradable for e.g. #46 & #47. Or for any number of combinations of 3 picks in the last half of R2. Of course it's possible no deals were available -- though plenty were for other teams.

In short, aside from all the other possible ways of doing it which have been mentioned, it does seem clear that we could have come away from the 2021 draft with a ton more talent than we did. In fact, I don't see why to think Isaiah Todd is likely to be a better NBA player than Charles Bassey.

I'm a broken record on this subject, I know. I apologize. But... it drives me crazy to see us miss opportunities to create a tremendous team.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 10,073

Post#1602 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:00 pm

payitforward wrote:An interesting story about the Sixers' problems signing Charles Bassey -- a guy a lot of us liked: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/09/sixers-charles-bassey-remain-at-impasse-in-contract-talks.html

There's a ton of fascinating info in this story, not just about Bassey either.

1. Philly bought the pick they used on Bassey from the Pelicans. From which we learn that R2 picks were available for $$.
2. We could have bought a R2 pick -- either that one or, very likely, another one.
3. The Sixers came into the draft with the #28 pick & the #50 pick. Although they are a much, much better team than the Wizards, they saw talent in R2, even late in the round, they could not let get past them. 2 picks were not enough for them. We on the other hand, traded down our draft capital in order to obtain Aaron Holiday.
4. That's worth clarifying: The Sixers are a younger team than we are. They are also a deeper team than we are. Anyone question that? Didn't think so. Yet, they felt a greater need for young talent than we did. I don't understand that, do you?
5. We picked Corey Kispert, a graduating senior, #15. At #28, the Sixers chose Jaden Springer, a 1 and done player. Let's see who turns into the better pro.
5. We took Isaiah Todd #31. The Sixers took Filip Petrusev #50 & Bassey #53. Now, in principle, the #31 pick is tradable for e.g. #46 & #47. Or for any number of combinations of 3 picks in the last half of R2. Of course it's possible no deals were available -- though plenty were for other teams.

In short, aside from all the other possible ways of doing it which have been mentioned, it does seem clear that we could have come away from the 2021 draft with a ton more talent than we did. In fact, I don't see why to think Isaiah Todd is likely to be a better NBA player than Charles Bassey.

I'm a broken record on this subject, I know. I apologize. But... it drives me crazy to see us miss opportunities to create a tremendous team.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of both Petrusev and Bassey. Them going so late really shows how bigs who aren't great athletes are just not in demand anymore. Still, I think guys who can produce like they do should have some value. It takes some chustzpa (sp?) for a late 2nd rounder to make demands, but it also shows he believes in himself - as he should.

While there's only so many rookies a GM wants in a year, they can always trade down and trade for a future pick. Trading down from 15 to get a 2nd rounder plus a future 1st might have been a smart way to go if they were concerned they'd get too many rookies. There were some nice PG's picked in the 2nd round.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 5,619

Post#1603 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:An interesting story about the Sixers' problems signing Charles Bassey -- a guy a lot of us liked: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/09/sixers-charles-bassey-remain-at-impasse-in-contract-talks.html

There's a ton of fascinating info in this story, not just about Bassey either. ...
In short, aside from all the other possible ways of doing it which have been mentioned, it does seem clear that we could have come away from the 2021 draft with a ton more talent than we did. ...I'm a broken record on this subject, I know. I apologize. But... it drives me crazy to see us miss opportunities to create a tremendous team.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of both Petrusev and Bassey. Them going so late really shows how bigs who aren't great athletes are just not in demand anymore. Still, I think guys who can produce like they do should have some value. It takes some chustzpa (sp?)...

"Chutzpah" is how it's usually transliterated (Yiddish being written in Hebrew letters).

Ruzious wrote:...for a late 2nd rounder to make demands, but it also shows he believes in himself - as he should.

While there's only so many rookies a GM wants in a year,...

Well this is kind of my point. IMO, that's not the way to think about it. If excellent value opportunities are there, you accumulate the value.

It's not just this draft -- in 2019-20 Philly won over 75% more games than we did! Yet, in the 2020 draft, they added 3 rookies.

OTOH, we had a R2 pick from Chicago & traded down (!) to pick a lesser talent. Why didn't we trade up a couple of spots to take Tillman, then buy another pick in R2.

Ruzious wrote:...Trading down from 15 to get a 2nd rounder plus a future 1st might have been a smart way to go if they were concerned they'd get too many rookies. There were some nice PG's picked in the 2nd round.

Except there's no reason to worry about too many rookies. #15 gets you something like #26, #36, & a couple of low R2 picks. We got Kispert.

That package gives you Quentin Grimes, Miles McBride, Sharife Cooper & Charles Bassey. Or it gives you Jaden Springer, JT Thor (or Neemias Queta), Petrusev & Mamukelashvili (or Jericho Sims). Or... you get the idea.

Thinking "I can't use a lot of rookies" is inexcusable when your record over the last 2 years is what ours has been.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.

Return to Washington Wizards