Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#1401 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:13 am

payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Be a great idea. Only you don't get the #35 pick in return for moving down 3 spots from 15 to 18.

They owe us a R2 pick in '24. Maybe if we gave them back that one, your trade would work.
You also have to think about supply and demand, OKC has so many picks that if the guy they want is at 3 spots up they can afford to over pay to get their guy.

Yeah, & OTOH maybe we don't see any difference for us between the #15 & #18, in which case anything extra in the swap, anything at all, would do, so they could give us their #18 & #55 for our #15, and we'd be happy.

Or to put it another way... you can make up anything you want, but the #15 isn't getting you the #18 & #35. Just for starters, there are the teams with the #13 & 14 who'd be likely to see value in that swap.

Btw, they don't own the #35 -- tho they do have the #34 & the #36.
I can agree with you on that.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1402 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:46 am

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Or to put it another way... you can make up anything you want, but the #15 isn't getting you the #18 & #35.

It would if we happened to draft the guy they really wanted at #15. But they wouldn't make that trade prior to us making our pick.

Oh, absolutely! But the fact that if I were dying of thirst in the desert, I'd give everything I own for a glass of water doesn't help establish the value of a glass of water. & that's what I meant by suggesting that "you can make up anything you want."

A situation could arise in which you'd give both the #16 & 17 pick for the guy picked at #15 once the guy had been picked there or you knew he would be. But, then we're talking about trading a player not a pick.

All the same, if I go to Sam Presti & say, "I'll give you the #15 pick this year in return for the # 18 & #34 (or #36), how about it?" his answer is "no." & the reason is simple: If he want to trade those picks, he'd find a better deal than that. He can get more than the #15 for those 2 picks.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1403 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:30 am

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Or to put it another way... you can make up anything you want, but the #15 isn't getting you the #18 & #35.

It would if we happened to draft the guy they really wanted at #15. But they wouldn't make that trade prior to us making our pick.

Oh, absolutely! But the fact that if I were dying of thirst in the desert, I'd give everything I own for a glass of water doesn't help establish the value of a glass of water. & that's what I meant by suggesting that "you can make up anything you want."

A situation could arise in which you'd give both the #16 & 17 pick for the guy picked at #15 once the guy had been picked there or you knew he would be. But, then we're talking about trading a player not a pick.

All the same, if I go to Sam Presti & say, "I'll give you the #15 pick this year in return for the # 18 & #34 (or #36), how about it?" his answer is "no." & the reason is simple: If he want to trade those picks, he'd find a better deal than that. He can get more than the #15 for those 2 picks.
I agree with that , that's a draft night trade when nothing else came up and they say **** it let's go best deal on the table is for 15 .

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,017

Post#1404 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:11 pm

If you are trying to trade up, what does #18 & #34 realistically get you? #10?
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1405 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:12 am

Kemba walker on the move? Possibly to Dallas for KP and picks. My god what a terrible run for the Mavs trading away probably 4 picks in the loop of KP

payitforward
RealGM

Post#1406 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:26 pm

dckingsfan wrote:If you are trying to trade up, what does #18 & #34 realistically get you? #10?

Hard to be precise, but I'd say #14 would be more likely. Maybe #13.

In 2019, when I wanted to trade down from #9, I thought we could get #20 & #22 (owned by Boston).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1407 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:10 pm

Interesting trade between Memphis and the Pels. Guessing Memphis is targeting someone in particular at 10 - it'll be interesting to see who they pick there and who the Pels pick at 17. Personally, I'm a Jonas fan (no, not the music family), and I like him a little over Steven Adams. Bledsoe's not the disaster of a player that some seem to think he is - he's a good defender.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1408 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:Interesting trade between Memphis and the Pels. Guessing Memphis is targeting someone in particular at 10 - it'll be interesting to see who they pick there and who the Pels pick at 17. Personally, I'm a Jonas fan (no, not the music family), and I like him a little over Steven Adams. Bledsoe's not the disaster of a player that some seem to think he is - he's a good defender.

Memphis is finalizing a trade to send Jonas Valanciunas and 2021 Nos. 17 and 51 picks to New Orleans for Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, 2021 picks Nos. 10 and 40 and a protected 2022 first-round pick via the Lakers, sources tell ESPN.

So, do you think this is a "win-now" move by Memphis? And they will have 14 players under contract plus the 10th pick. Not sure I understand this from the New Orlean's perspective unless they weren't sold on any one player at 10.

Justise Winslow
Dillon Brooks
Kyle Anderson
Ja Morant
Jaren Jackson Jr.
De'Anthony Melton
Tyus Jones
Grayson Allen
Brandon Clarke
John Konchar
Desmond Bane
Jontay Porter
Xavier Tillman Sr.
Steven Adams
Eric Bledsoe
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1409 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:47 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Interesting trade between Memphis and the Pels. Guessing Memphis is targeting someone in particular at 10 - it'll be interesting to see who they pick there and who the Pels pick at 17. Personally, I'm a Jonas fan (no, not the music family), and I like him a little over Steven Adams. Bledsoe's not the disaster of a player that some seem to think he is - he's a good defender.

Memphis is finalizing a trade to send Jonas Valanciunas and 2021 Nos. 17 and 51 picks to New Orleans for Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, 2021 picks Nos. 10 and 40 and a protected 2022 first-round pick via the Lakers, sources tell ESPN.

So, do you think this is a "win-now" move by Memphis? And they will have 14 players under contract plus the 10th pick. Not sure I understand this from the New Orlean's perspective unless they weren't sold on any one player at 10.

Justise Winslow
Dillon Brooks
Kyle Anderson
Ja Morant
Jaren Jackson Jr.
De'Anthony Melton
Tyus Jones
Grayson Allen
Brandon Clarke
John Konchar
Desmond Bane
Jontay Porter
Xavier Tillman Sr.
Steven Adams
Eric Bledsoe

NO seemed to be trying all season to dump Bledsoe, and I think that had a lot to do with the trade. Bledsoe might as well change his name to Scapegoat.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1410 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

NO seemed to be trying all season to dump Bledsoe, and I think that had a lot to do with the trade. Bledsoe might as well change his name to Scapegoat.

Guessing they wont exercise Winslow's team option. So, they will have the 10th pick and:

Morant/Bledsoe/Jones
Melton/Allen/Konchar
Brooks/Bane
Anderson/Clarke/Tillman/Porter
Adams/Jackson

I would guess they will shed another player in a "meaningless trade" to make room for the 10th pick, thin the PF position and beef up the C position.

Maybe they move one of Tillman or Clarke?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1411 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:16 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Guessing they wont exercise Winslow's team option. So, they will have the 10th pick and:

Morant/Bledsoe/Jones
Melton/Allen/Konchar
Brooks/Bane
Adams/Jackson

I would guess they will shed another player in a "meaningless trade" to make room for the 10th pick, thin the PF position and beef up the C position.

I think Porter's contract is not guaranteed, so he could be someone we want to keep an eye on and maybe steal if they cut him. He could be our 3rd center.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#1412 » by verbal8 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:24 pm

I think the main factors are cap money and the draft pick. The move up from 17 to 10 is pretty significant. The Pels save $20 million this year and about $35 million next season. If the Pelicans use the cap space to get the player they want, it probably looks like a good deal for them.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1413 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:03 am

verbal8 wrote:

I think the main factors are cap money and the draft pick. The move up from 17 to 10 is pretty significant. The Pels save $20 million this year and about $35 million next season. If the Pelicans use the cap space to get the player they want, it probably looks like a good deal for them.

It has to be followed by an FA move or another trade. I don't see the FA in this year's class that makes them want to jump.

And their weakness is guard - I would have thought a trade down with NY taking a pair of guards or taking Giddy would have been the better move...

Let's see what happens - I'll probably be surprised.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#1414 » by verbal8 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:15 am

dckingsfan wrote:
verbal8 wrote:

It has to be followed by an FA move or another trade. I don't see the FA in this year's class that makes them want to jump.

And their weakness is guard - I would have thought a trade down with NY taking a pair of guards or taking Giddy would have been the better move...

Let's see what happens - I'll probably be surprised.

Rumors have them interested in acquiring Lowry. If Toronto is willing to let him to go, they might be interested in doing a sign and trade - but might want to take on as much salary as Memphis was willing to take on.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1415 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:41 am

dckingsfan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Morant/Bledsoe/Jones
Melton/Allen/Konchar
Brooks/Bane
Adams/Jackson

Why do they have to move anyone? Not to say they won't, but I don't see a need to speak of. But, I don't see this as a "win now" move at all. This is entirely about increasing the value of their draft assets.

They traded an expiring vet who isn't in their plans going forward in return for 2 vets, one of whom will be gone at the end of the year. Essentially, they added a year of Adams' salary for the benefit of moving up from 17 to 10 in R1 & from 51 to 40 in R2.

Plus, they also get a protected 2022 R1 pick via the Lakers in this deal.

It's a completely great move for them. Memphis' new FO looks like it's the best in the league.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1416 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:10 am

verbal8 wrote:

Yeah that's a big move for them and I'm positive that Lakers pick is unprotected. Grizz move up to ten and pick up a first next year that's a great move they swap centers but take on a really in decline bledsoe to give the pels a chance to swing in free agency. The pels have tons of draft capital too so not a horrible move.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1417 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:14 am

It might be better to have the 17th pick than the 10th pick because the 17th pick gets a lower salary.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1418 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:33 am

Wonder if Memphis is gearing up to make a play for Beal?

wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#1419 » by wall_glizzy » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:46 am

gambitx777 wrote:Wonder if Memphis is gearing up to make a play for Beal?

I assure you they are not.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1420 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:58 am

wall_glizzy wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Wonder if Memphis is gearing up to make a play for Beal?

I assure you they are not.
You don't think ja, Beal and brook would make some noise in the east I think they probably would. They got some young talent to toss at us plus plenty of pick including a top 10

Return to Washington Wizards