Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#1801 » by mhd » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:10 pm

nate33 wrote:
GoneShammGone wrote:Per Wiretap: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/264604/Marcus-Smart-Says-Bostons-Late-Game-Struggles-Start-With-Jayson-Tatum-Jaylen-Brown

I'm sensing a Celtic meltdown on the way. Wonder if they will reach the point that they will consider moving on from the Brown/Tatum pairing?

I'd trade Beal for Jaylen Brown right now. We'd get younger and move even further away from the "star and role players" model.

I'd be tempted, but would rather make it a 3-way if need be. Brown's injury issues concern me (Count me scared when I see knee tendinitis). Plus, I'd want a future 1st (Beal has more value due to Boston's slide in the standings). If we are trading Beal, we should trade for as many future 1sts as possible and rebuild with youth.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1802 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:32 pm

queridiculo wrote:
closg00 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:DNP-CD with Ayton out. Kaminsky and Javale McGee each played significant minutes and each produced big numbers in a Suns win.

I'm guessing Jalen Smith is going to be released soon.

I didn't catch all of the discussion, what happened with Jalen over there?

It's either about the money, or the kid flat out cannot hack it.

The latter is hard to believe. He was raw coming out but he had the tools, and he doesn't have a reputation as a knucklehead.

I'd love to see the Wizards take a flyer next year.

He only played 156 minutes last year, & he was really bad. This year, he's only played 18 minutes -- he's a ton better, but what does it mean in so few minutes?

Guy was picked #10 -- hard to understand why they've lost patience with him so quickly.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1803 » by Kanyewest » Fri Nov 5, 2021 6:00 pm

Read on Twitter
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#1804 » by gambitx777 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 8:06 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Read on Twitter
Here we go again.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#1805 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 8:43 pm

Just spitballing here, but If we traded Beal and Bertans for Simmons, Danny Green and a 1st, it would get Bertans' contract off the books and turn Beal's impending $43M 2022 obligation into Simmons' $35M obligation. That would leave us with $37M in cap room (minus the cost of our two 1st round picks).

Would Charlotte match a max offer for Miles Bridges?

PG Simmons/1st round pick
SG Dinwiddie/Kispert/1st round pick
SF Bridges/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Kuzma
C Gafford/Bryant

That's a HUGE switch-everything team with a lot of youth. Everyone but Dinwiddie and Kuzma would be 25 or under next summer. (It might make sense to dump Kuzma and instead retain KCP. Need more shooting.)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1806 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 5, 2021 9:41 pm

nate33 wrote:Just spitballing here, but If we traded Beal and Bertans for Simmons, Danny Green and a 1st, it would get Bertans' contract off the books and turn Beal's impending $43M 2022 obligation into Simmons' $35M obligation. That would leave us with $37M in cap room (minus the cost of our two 1st round picks).

SF Bridges/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Kuzma
C Gafford/Bryant

That's a HUGE switch-everything team with a lot of youth. Everyone but Dinwiddie and Kuzma would be 25 or under next summer. (It might make sense to dump Kuzma and instead retain KCP. Need more shooting.)

You probably know my answer - since I'm pro Simmons and think Bridges will become a big star. Yes. Though we'd have to get a pure shooting 3rd guard to go with Simmons and Dinwiddie. Charlotte probably matches, but ya never know.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1807 » by Dat2U » Fri Nov 5, 2021 10:34 pm

nate33 wrote:Just spitballing here, but If we traded Beal and Bertans for Simmons, Danny Green and a 1st, it would get Bertans' contract off the books and turn Beal's impending $43M 2022 obligation into Simmons' $35M obligation. That would leave us with $37M in cap room (minus the cost of our two 1st round picks).

SF Bridges/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Kuzma
C Gafford/Bryant

:nonono:

Why are we just letting Philly off the hook in their miserable situation? Simmons does not have this type of value. And your only getting only one first in return on top of that? I'd be happy to take Simmons but for pennies on that dollar, not at his value 2 years ago.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1808 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Nov 5, 2021 10:39 pm

SF Bridges/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Kuzma
C Gafford/Bryant

I think this makes a LOT of sense for the Wizards. And it also fits Morey's request for a superstar.

The thing here is that Morey is his own worst enemy in this situation. He loves negotiating through the media and he seems to struggle with the concept of quiet negotiation. I have a suspicion he'd let it out as a means of trying to put the Wizards at a disadvantage in trade discussions which could have some rather negative consequences for the team overall. This is where Ainge found himself with a form of self-inflicted paralysis and I wonder if Morey will ever be able to move past that.
Bucket! Bucket!
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,112

Post#1809 » by J-Ves » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:24 am

SF Bridges/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Kuzma
C Gafford/Bryant

Ted would never sign off on that. To trade a guy who has shown loyalty to the organization for a diva/malcontent/jerk like Simmons probably goes against his 10 point plan AND his double bottom line
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#1810 » by gambitx777 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:43 am

Yes will never trade for a dude like Simmons. He values loyalty and Beal shown it. Beals getting that contract unless he asks out. Have y'all ever heard gill talk about his last big contract ? Look up that video .

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#1811 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:19 pm

Dekker waived, best wishes to him
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1812 » by DCZards » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:14 pm

It would be a mistake to trade Beal for Simmons, imo. You'd be trading a loyal individual who has worked hard year in and year out to improve his game for a malcontent who reportedly doesn't work on his game.

Simmons best asset is probably his D. While he's no Ben Simmons, Deni is emerging as an excellent man-to-man defender, maybe only a few notches below Ben. I was really impressed by the way that Deni was able to stay in front of Ja Morant when he was switched on to him.

Finally, the trade would leave the Zards with a gaping hole at SG.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1813 » by tontoz » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:12 pm

Setting aside the merits of the trade, what kind of message would it send to the league if we traded Beal for Simmons?

Beal has been a good soldier, loyal to a fault some would say. And we would be trading him for a head case who has quit on his team.

If Beal requested the trade or was ok with it then ok. But at this point I don't think we can send him somewhere against his will without losing credibility around the league.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1814 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:27 pm

Dat2U wrote:

SF Bridges/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Kuzma
C Gafford/Bryant

:nonono:

Why are we just letting Philly off the hook in their miserable situation? Simmons does not have this type of value. And your only getting only one first in return on top of that? I'd be happy to take Simmons but for pennies on that dollar, not at his value 2 years ago.

Yeah. You're probably right.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#1815 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:32 pm

Possible "get" for the Knicks, former 19th pick for the Spurs Luka Samanic
https://nypost.com/2021/11/11/luka-samanic-making-a-knicks-impression-in-g-league-reboot/
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#1816 » by Dark Faze » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:54 pm

The John Wall situation is so heart breaking to me. I don't understand why he's willing to take another year off from the game. That money is guaranteed regardless. I don't see the incentive for him to not play, beyond laziness.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#1817 » by Dark Faze » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:00 pm

SF Bridges/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Kuzma
C Gafford/Bryant

Throw in Thybulle and I'm in.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,017

Post#1818 » by dckingsfan » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Dark Faze wrote:The John Wall situation is so heart breaking to me. I don't understand why he's willing to take another year off from the game. That money is guaranteed regardless. I don't see the incentive for him to not play, beyond laziness.

From what I have heard down here (on the radio) - it is mutual. The Rockets also told him he would not play.

Searching for an article led me to the nebulous "both sides"...

Edit, found the reason: As part of their agreement, the Rockets decided that Wall will not play this season. This is because they don't want him to suffer an injury that could derail his trade value (probably next season).
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,112

Post#1819 » by J-Ves » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:26 pm

Dark Faze wrote:The John Wall situation is so heart breaking to me. I don't understand why he's willing to take another year off from the game. That money is guaranteed regardless. I don't see the incentive for him to not play, beyond laziness.

He’s done. The only thing he has left to do is collect his $90 million and go off into the sunset
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1820 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:52 pm

J-Ves wrote:

He’s done. The only thing he has left to do is collect his $90 million and go off into the sunset

That's just the thing. He is not "done". He is still a viable NBA player. Heck, he's probably good enough to start on a half-dozen teams. I'm sure a team like Dallas or New Orleans would have paid him $7-10M on a one-year deal this year if he was available. Boston could certainly have used him at a price like that.

The problem is, he is an MLE caliber player being paid $43M. But he is unable to negotiate a buyout because he has a player option year next year for $45M that he can't formerly opt in on until the summer. So at the moment, he has just $43M on his contract so the most Houston could buy him out for right now is $43M. If Wall waits until the summer to opt in on next year's money and then negotiate a buyout he'll get all $43M of this year's money, plus the majority of the $45M of next year's money.

So basically, the final years of his NBA career are being wasted because he gets paid more to sit and do nothing than he does if he negotiates a buyout and signs with a team that could use him. Frankly, I think it's pretty shady that Houston is willingly sitting a good player (who would earn minutes on that team) because they literally don't want to win games. It's one thing to sit a guy with 20 games to go in the season because you are worried about him getting hurt, but you can't sit out a guy for an entire year.

Return to Washington Wizards