Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#21 » by Shoe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:06 pm

If Kawhi doesn't fake an injury it looks bleak for us :nonono:

DeRozan is a good workhorse for the regular season. This signals to me that Pop is wrapping up his career.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#22 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:09 pm

I also think that DeMar DeRozan isn't thinking this through completely. Pops could probably take his game to the next level if he comes in with the right attitude and listens.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,067

Post#23 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:10 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Agreed, for one year at least - if Leonard plays - they get better and have a shot in the east. It will be interesting to see what they do for the last couple of spots on the roster.

Code: Select all

Player          Age   2018-19
Kyle Lowry      32   $31,000,000
Serge Ibaka     28   $21,666,667
Kawhi Leonard   27   $20,099,189
J Valanciunas   26   $16,539,326
Danny Green     31   $10,000,000
Norman Powell   25   $9,367,200
Fred VanVleet   24   $9,055,005
C.J. Miles      31   $8,333,333
Delon Wright    26   $2,536,898
OG Anunoby      21   $1,952,760
M Richardson    22   $1,569,360
Pascal Siakam   24   $1,544,951
                    $133,664,689

Code: Select all

Lowry     VanVleet   Wright
Green     Miles      Richardson
Leonard   Anunoby   
Ibaka     Siakam   
Valanciunas      

They'll play Miles and Kawhi at PF a lot, at least in the playoffs. Ibaka should play more center.

I think their core rotation in the playoffs will be:

Lowry
Green
Anunoby
Leonard
Ibaka

Van Fleet, Wright, Miles and Siakam get the bulk of the reserve minutes. That lineup has the mobility to switch everything on defense.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#24 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:12 pm

dckingsfan wrote:I also think that DeMar DeRozan isn't thinking this through completely. Pops could probably take his game to the next level if he comes in with the right attitude and listens.

Interesting that San Antonio is going to have to make it work with two "stars" who about the furthest from the San Antonio mold as you could imagine: Aldridge and DeRozan.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#25 » by Dark Faze » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:14 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't really see this moving the needle for Toronto? Even more so when you don't know what his health status is and reports are he's mad as hell. I don't see them getting past Boston.

Nobody is beating Boston. When healthy, their depth and talent level is only going to be matched by Golden State, but if Kawhi is motivated, the Raps should win a lot of games and make the ECF again.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#26 » by verbal8 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 pm

nate33 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Eli Babak wrote:Wow... Kawhi and Danny Green for DeRozan, Jakob Pöltl and top-20-protected 2019 1st. Toronto got MVP-caliber player for a loser, ok center prospect and late 1st. Nice.

Raps have been trying to ditch Derozan for a while now. One of the worst playoff performers in the modern era.
Kawhi is 100% gone but this is basically a way of selling the fans on competing for 1 year then getting out of Derozan's salary.

I like this by Ujiri, cold-blooded move but needed to be done.

It really is a great move by Toronto. The core they had was maxed out. They weren't going to win a title and Lowry wasn't getting any younger or any better. Ujiri pushed all of his chips on the table and has decided to go for it in 2018-19.

I agree it was a very good move.

I think it could pay-off long-term if Leonard resigns. Even if they stripped the roster to get Max cap space they had next to zero chance of getting Leonard in the open FA market.

As you mentioned it jump-starts a rebuild if it doesn't pay-off this year and Leonard leaves.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#27 » by barelyawake » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Couldn’t sell our future to Horford, Cousins, Durant, Aldridge or Leonard. At least, we convinced Jeff Green. Pats on the back all around. (Kicks something across the room).
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#28 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:34 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't really see this moving the needle for Toronto? Even more so when you don't know what his health status is and reports are he's mad as hell. I don't see them getting past Boston.

I'm with you, I just don't think Toronto is getting the Kawhi Leonard we've been used to (for the same reasons you mentioned). I also don't think this move happens if LeBron had stayed in the East because trading a healthy All-Star on a long-term contract for an injured superstar that's likely a one year rental is a move you only do when you think this could be your year.

For the Spurs, I think they get good value for a guy that was leaving one way or another. I'm very interested to see if Pop can get DeRozan into another gear, especially in the playoffs. And someone said this trade might be a signal Pop is done, but I'm not so sure. All of Aldridge/Mills/DeRozan have 2 more years on their deals after this one, so any success they have can be sustained for a while.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#29 » by Dat2U » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Great trade for Toronto if Kawhi was ACTUALLY WILLING TO PLAY FOR THEM! I don't think he is though.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#30 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:37 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

I'm with you, I just don't think Toronto is getting the Kawhi Leonard we've been used to (for the same reasons you mentioned). I also don't think this move happens if LeBron had stayed in the East because trading a healthy All-Star on a long-term contract for an injured superstar that's likely a one year rental is a move you only do when you think this could be your year.

For the Spurs, I think they get good value for a guy that was leaving one way or another. I'm very interested to see if Pop can get DeRozan into another gear, especially in the playoffs. And someone said this trade might be a signal Pop is done, but I'm not so sure. All of Aldridge/Mills/DeRozan have 2 more years on their deals after this one, so any success they have can be sustained for a while.

If DeRozan starts hitting 3s at a respectable clip, then Pop and Spurs shooting coach Chip Engelland are practicing witch craft.
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#31 » by gtn130 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Read on Twitter

LOL
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#32 » by JWizmentality » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm

gtn130 wrote:
Read on Twitter

LOL

Masai better have good people skills. :lol:
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#33 » by Sluggerface » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Kwahi will resign with Toronto. It's a massive media market that gets slept on year after year because murica herp derp. Masai will also build the team around him being the #1 guy.
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#34 » by JWizmentality » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Sluggerface wrote:Kwahi will resign with Toronto. It's a massive media market that gets slept on year after year because murica herp derp. Masai will also build the team around him being the #1 guy.

Chances are he also never plays one game for Toronto. He can sit out next year.
MVPofDC
Sophomore
And1: 157

Post#35 » by MVPofDC » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Sluggerface wrote:Kwahi will resign with Toronto. It's a massive media market that gets slept on year after year because murica herp derp. Masai will also build the team around him being the #1 guy.

Apparently he wants to go to LA.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#36 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:04 pm

JWizmentality wrote:

He sits out and he gets fined and may not even be able to opt out of his contract.

Uncle Dennis overplayed his hand. They should have shut up, played nice, and then bounced.

Read on Twitter
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#37 » by JWizmentality » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:08 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

He sits out and he gets fined and may not even be able to opt out of his contract.

Uncle Dennis overplayed his hand. They should have shut up, played nice, and then bounced.

Read on Twitter

Yikes. Either way I don't see this ending well for Toronto. There's also no backout plan if this goes worst case scenario. Demar is not playing for them again. Bridge burnt.
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#38 » by Sluggerface » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:35 pm

MVPofDC wrote:

Apparently he wants to go to LA.

I'll give Masai the benefit of the doubt in convincing Leonard and his camp. The Lakers landed Lebron and are just throwing darts at the wall at this point.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#39 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:39 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

Read on Twitter

Were the Spurs offering Kawhi the super-max?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#40 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm

The bottom line is that the opportunity for Kawhi to be traded to LA this offseason has passed. The only way to make it work would be for San Antonio to absorb Deng, and they weren't going to do that. There was perhaps a small chance of executing a deal after December 15th when all of LA's 1-year signings became eligible for a trade, but it's not reasonable for Kawhi to expect all other parties to wait around until then.

Kawhi should play in Toronto, play his best, and rebuild his reputation. That's the best move for him in the long term.

Return to Washington Wizards