Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#321 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:02 am

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Other teams' moves: I'm thoroughly IMPRESSED(!) with the moves Atlanta made this offseason. I like the Hawks talent BETTER than the Wizards.

A picture is worth a thousand words: Three GREAT draft picks

This box score

The Hawks have John Collins, who's very solid. Alex Len, who I'd MUCH RATHER HAVE THAN DWIGHT HOWARD at this point in their respective careers. Taurean Prince lights the Wizards up like it's Christmas tree decoration time. They have competence in their front office and are making way better moves than the Wizards.

Box score is from Game 2 over the Cavaliers (who, like the Wizards are a treadmill team hoping to make the playoffs). TEAM FULL OF YOUNG GUYS (pun intended) wins by over 20. WINNING and doing it the right way. I gave a PICTURE SO THE IDIOTS IN THE WIZARDS FRONT OFFICE WHO DO KNOW ME BY NOW WILL SEE. MAYBE they can see one picture and one box score and figure that I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

GRUNFELD AND BROOKS: Note the stats of non-veterans. Young, 35 and 11. Huerter 9/10/4/2 in limited minutes coming off an injury, in his third game. Spellman (another guy I touted preseason who EG didn't draft IMO because he's a DOOFUS) had 17 points in 25 minutes. As many as Kevin Love in far less minutes. SPELLMAN HAS MADE 5 of his first 7 NBA threes. VERY EVIDENT BEFORE THE DRAFT was the kid had range like a Draymond Green and he played for Villanova, which like Green's Michigan State was a championship program. Huerter's like DONCIC. Good. You thought I'd say white? Irrelevant. Baller who can START at SG already.

The Wizards have no chance moving forward when other teams like the Hawks, Suns, Kings, Nets, and others are smart enough to emulate the Celtics. Draft well. Manage assets in a way that you acquire DEVELOPING, YOUNG, VETERANS who cost less than the bums the Wizards acquire and who are as good already PLUS improving (Len).

Might post 10K times today. This board used to have passionate people. Grunfeld and Dunderhead have extinguished that.

NOTE: I haven't dissed John Wall. Neither he, nor Beal, nor Porter are the problem. This organization lucked the hell out with their lottery picks from 2010, 2012, and 2013. They blew it in 2011 on Vesely, but they had the chance THEN to draft Kawhi, Klay, or Vesely.

TO THIS DAY THE WIZARDS ARE STILL MAKING THE SAME MISTAKES. The picture above is what they COULD HAVE DONE. Too late.

I think Spellman was the under-valued player of those 3, and he's off to a hot shooting start - making 5 of his first 7 3's - though he'll need to hit the boards a bit harder - which I expect he will.

And even Alex Len is shooting 3's - he's tried 4 in their first 3 games. Everyone's shooting 3's!
Their GM is tap dancing on EGs head..toes...etc.

One GM is the exemplar.

One is the antithesis of proactive in making good roster moves.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#322 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:42 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Other teams' moves: I'm thoroughly IMPRESSED(!) with the moves Atlanta made this offseason. I like the Hawks talent BETTER than the Wizards.

A picture is worth a thousand words: Three GREAT draft picks

This box score

The Hawks have John Collins, who's very solid. Alex Len, who I'd MUCH RATHER HAVE THAN DWIGHT HOWARD at this point in their respective careers. Taurean Prince lights the Wizards up like it's Christmas tree decoration time. They have competence in their front office and are making way better moves than the Wizards.

Box score is from Game 2 over the Cavaliers (who, like the Wizards are a treadmill team hoping to make the playoffs). TEAM FULL OF YOUNG GUYS (pun intended) wins by over 20. WINNING and doing it the right way. I gave a PICTURE SO THE IDIOTS IN THE WIZARDS FRONT OFFICE WHO DO KNOW ME BY NOW WILL SEE. MAYBE they can see one picture and one box score and figure that I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

GRUNFELD AND BROOKS: Note the stats of non-veterans. Young, 35 and 11. Huerter 9/10/4/2 in limited minutes coming off an injury, in his third game. Spellman (another guy I touted preseason who EG didn't draft IMO because he's a DOOFUS) had 17 points in 25 minutes. As many as Kevin Love in far less minutes. SPELLMAN HAS MADE 5 of his first 7 NBA threes. VERY EVIDENT BEFORE THE DRAFT was the kid had range like a Draymond Green and he played for Villanova, which like Green's Michigan State was a championship program. Huerter's like DONCIC. Good. You thought I'd say white? Irrelevant. Baller who can START at SG already.

The Wizards have no chance moving forward when other teams like the Hawks, Suns, Kings, Nets, and others are smart enough to emulate the Celtics. Draft well. Manage assets in a way that you acquire DEVELOPING, YOUNG, VETERANS who cost less than the bums the Wizards acquire and who are as good already PLUS improving (Len).

Might post 10K times today. This board used to have passionate people. Grunfeld and Dunderhead have extinguished that.

NOTE: I haven't dissed John Wall. Neither he, nor Beal, nor Porter are the problem. This organization lucked the hell out with their lottery picks from 2010, 2012, and 2013. They blew it in 2011 on Vesely, but they had the chance THEN to draft Kawhi, Klay, or Vesely.

TO THIS DAY THE WIZARDS ARE STILL MAKING THE SAME MISTAKES. The picture above is what they COULD HAVE DONE. Too late.

I think Spellman was the under-valued player of those 3, and he's off to a hot shooting start - making 5 of his first 7 3's - though he'll need to hit the boards a bit harder - which I expect he will.

And even Alex Len is shooting 3's - he's tried 4 in their first 3 games. Everyone's shooting 3's!
Their GM is tap dancing on EGs head..toes...etc.

One GM is the exemplar.

One is the antithesis of proactive in making good roster moves.

Yeah, at least Atl has a plan - they're developing young talent with the best 3 point shooting ability - they're basically using the Villanova offense - that's been so successful on the college level. Washington's using the same old same old - as the rest of the NBA flies by them. They're dinosaurs stuck in the mud as the Big Bang approaches.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#323 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:Washington's using the same old same old - as the rest of the NBA flies by them. They're dinosaurs stuck in the mud as the Big Bang approaches.

I actually think this has more to do with the roster than anything. The Wizards are playing really, really fast right now - 7th in the league in pace right now in a season where the entire league is pushing the pace. They're clearly trying to do something different but I don't think the roster is really suited for it at all. Wall is suited for it. So is Oubre. Beal can play that way but is a bit more versatile. Proter is probably more suited for a more methodical kind of game. Jeff Green isn't much of a runner though he can take a lot of shots really fast. Mahinmi and Smith are terrible for running. Morris isn't exactly an up tempo player. Sato can run but is a bit more methodical, too. Rivers is suited for the Chinese Basketball Association. This isn't a team built to push the pace. The league obviously understands that going faster can be a massive advantage but the Wizards are probably trying to change too much this season without actually changing the roster.
Bucket! Bucket!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#324 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 6:39 pm

Before Nikola Mirotic was traded by the Chicago Bulls to the New Orleans Pelicans, he wasn't a particularly popular member of the organization.

The front office reportedly couldn't wait to trade Mirotic and some of his teammates weren't particularly bothered when he was punched in the face by Bobby Portis.

There is always more to the story
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251592/Bulls-Front-Office-Couldnt-Wait-To-Trade-Nikola-Mirotic
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#325 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:41 pm

closg00 wrote:
Before Nikola Mirotic was traded by the Chicago Bulls to the New Orleans Pelicans, he wasn't a particularly popular member of the organization.

The front office reportedly couldn't wait to trade Mirotic and some of his teammates weren't particularly bothered when he was punched in the face by Bobby Portis.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251592/Bulls-Front-Office-Couldnt-Wait-To-Trade-Nikola-Mirotic

Always more to the story, sure, but I'd love to know what that story actually is. The article quotes positive quotes from Hoidberg. That doesn't mean that there weren't behind the scenes quotes but that could mean anything, really. That team is so dysfunctional that not being liked isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Wizards blamed Gortat last season and were blaming Porter this season and that isn't necessarily working out for them so great. Now the Bulls are happy to have Niko gone so they can give opportunities to guys like Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker... yeah, I'm not impressed. If some teammates weren't bothered by one teammate significantly injuring another for a significant stretch of time then those guys need to go, too. If it's the front office, I'm guessing they wanted to tank and move vets anyway but can play the spin game, or maybe they're just bitter. I wouldn't be shocked to find out Niko isn't the most likable person out there, but a lot of NBA players don't strike me as the most likable people out there and it doesn't really matter.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#326 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:47 pm

My favorite UDFA from the 2018 draft - Bonzi Colson - had 23 points, 16 rebounds, 1 steal and 2 blocks in his G League debut for Cleveland's team. Apparently he's recovered from the injury he had last season at Notre Dame.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ClutchDJ
Senior
And1: 252

Post#327 » by ClutchDJ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#328 » by FAH1223 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:40 pm

ClutchDJ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#329 » by Eli Babak » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:46 pm

I'm happy we didn't trade for him.

1) Ernie would've thrown in a first round pick.
2) This team wouldn't have been good enough to win the title anyways.
3) Butler would've left in FA.

On the other hand Ted would've been super happy because of hype and ticket sales.

Anyways, good trade for Philly and decent return for Twolves. Now they just have to fire Thibbs and start playing through Towns.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#330 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:05 pm

This was an exceptional trade for Philly. Covington is a pretty good player but no great bargain & signed for way too long term, IMO. Saric improved his 2d year, but he has regressed so far this year. I don't see where they've given up much, & announcements say that Butler plans to stay in Philly.

Otherwise, they gave up a R2 pick 3 drafts from now, & they also got Justin Patton, a promising player who has a troubling injury. But, he's low cost this year & isn't guaranteed going forward.

IMO, Philly scored big time.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#331 » by pcbothwel » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:26 pm

payitforward wrote:This was an exceptional trade for Philly. Covington is a pretty good player but no great bargain & signed for way too long term, IMO. Saric improved his 2d year, but he has regressed so far this year. I don't see where they've given up much, & announcements say that Butler plans to stay in Philly.

Otherwise, they gave up a R2 pick 3 drafts from now, & they also got Justin Patton, a promising player who has a troubling injury. But, he's low cost this year & isn't guaranteed going forward.

Agreed.
They need to trade Fultz for the best expiring possible. Puts them in potential finals this year and gives them max spot next year. Kemba?

Kemba
Zhaire
Butler
Simmons
Embiid

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#332 » by Earth2Ted » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:50 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
ClutchDJ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I feel the same way about this as the Al Horford free agency thing- we had no intention of paying the price to bring either guy to Dc. I think we were just pretending to look busy just so people can't say we were doing nothing. When in fact, that is exactly what we were, are, and will continue to be doing.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#333 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Earth2Ted wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
ClutchDJ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I feel the same way about this as the Al Horford free agency thing- we had no intention of paying the price to bring either guy to Dc. I think we were just pretending to look busy just so people can't say we were doing nothing. When in fact, that is exactly what we were, are, and will continue to be doing.

Oh, we were very busy! We landed a terrific below the radar player in Andrew Nicholson for just $6.5m a year -- & managed to lock him up for a full 4 years too.

Then we grabbed another underrated established veteran big, Jason Smith, whom we tricked into guaranteeing himself to us for 3 whole years at only $5m+ per annum.

Amazingly (& I do mean the word) we were able complete an extraordinary front-court trifecta by locking up Ian Mahinmi, known to be a top-tier Center, for 4 solid years for no more than a mere $65m.

For just $3.3m we were lucky enough to bag Trey Burke & get 700 minutes of accomplished production from him as well. Not to mention that using our FO's extraordinary talent radar we uncovered Daniel Ochefu, Sheldon Mac, Danuel House, & Jarell Eddie -- guys no other FO had the perspicacity to corral.

Plus, I have neglected to point out, we were able to bring in Chris McCullough, Marcus Thornton, & an established dynamic player like Brandon Jennings.

I mean... that's ten players -- it's transformative! And, out of a natural modesty, I'm leaving out Mr. 2-month: Bojan Bogdanovic.

I don't understand how you call that "doing nothing." I really don't.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,070

Post#334 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 pm

payitforward wrote:
Earth2Ted wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

Oh, we were very busy! We landed a terrific below the radar player in Andrew Nicholson for just $6.5m a year -- & managed to lock him up for a full 4 years too.

Then we grabbed another underrated established veteran big, Jason Smith, whom we tricked into guaranteeing himself to us for 3 whole years at only $5m+ per annum.

Amazingly (& I do mean the word) we were able complete an extraordinary front-court trifecta by locking up Ian Mahinmi, known to be a top-tier Center, for 4 solid years for no more than a mere $65m.

For just $3.3m we were lucky enough to bag Trey Burke & get 700 minutes of accomplished production from him as well. Not to mention that using our FO's extraordinary talent radar we uncovered Daniel Ochefu, Sheldon Mac, Danuel House, & Jarell Eddie -- guys no other FO had the perspicacity to corral.

Plus, I have neglected to point out, we were able to bring in Chris McCullough, Marcus Thornton, & an established dynamic player like Brandon Jennings.

I mean... that's ten players -- it's transformative! And, out of a natural modesty, I'm leaving out Mr. 2-month: Bojan Bogdanovic.

Man, this is depressing. :cry:
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,036

Post#335 » by queridiculo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm

payitforward wrote:This was an exceptional trade for Philly. Covington is a pretty good player but no great bargain & signed for way too long term, IMO. Saric improved his 2d year, but he has regressed so far this year. I don't see where they've given up much, & announcements say that Butler plans to stay in Philly.

This is all conditional on Butler re-signing with the 76ers of course.

Otherwise they just let go of two very solid rotation players which they won't be able to make up for in the short term
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#336 » by I_Like_Dirt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:46 pm

payitforward wrote:Oh, we were very busy! We landed a terrific below the radar player in Andrew Nicholson for just $6.5m a year -- & managed to lock him up for a full 4 years too.

Yeah, part of the problem is that Grunfeld actually has to do something sometimes and can't just do nothing.
Bucket! Bucket!
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,847

Post#337 » by dckingsfan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:47 pm

At least for this year (playoffs)… it kind of moves Philly up with Boston, Toronto and Milwaukee in my mind (I haven't seen enough to Indiana to really know if they are the real deal (Sabonis seem to be playing really well and Olidipo doesn't seem to have regressed at all).
RealGM

Post#338 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:40 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
closg00 wrote:

Always more to the story, sure, but I'd love to know what that story actually is. The article quotes positive quotes from Hoidberg. That doesn't mean that there weren't behind the scenes quotes but that could mean anything, really. That team is so dysfunctional that not being liked isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Wizards blamed Gortat last season and were blaming Porter this season and that isn't necessarily working out for them so great. Now the Bulls are happy to have Niko gone so they can give opportunities to guys like Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker... yeah, I'm not impressed. If some teammates weren't bothered by one teammate significantly injuring another for a significant stretch of time then those guys need to go, too. If it's the front office, I'm guessing they wanted to tank and move vets anyway but can play the spin game, or maybe they're just bitter. I wouldn't be shocked to find out Niko isn't the most likable person out there, but a lot of NBA players don't strike me as the most likable people out there and it doesn't really matter.
I didn't blame Gortat last year as most did.

Likewise, I continued to like Portis even after that fight. Turns out Mirotic is a terrific fit next to Davis.

Portis, could help the Wizards a ton at PF. I don't care about his defense or his play at C for Chicago. Bobby Portis would help this Wizards team on the boards and with perimeter play as a stretch 4/5.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#339 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:My favorite UDFA from the 2018 draft - Bonzi Colson - had 23 points, 16 rebounds, 1 steal and 2 blocks in his G League debut for Cleveland's team. Apparently he's recovered from the injury he had last season at Notre Dame.
HE'S BETTER THAN JEFF GREEN OR MARKIEFF MORRIS ...

But the Wizards are not the team to be proactive.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#340 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:43 pm

The Clippers are 7-5. Lou Williams is clutch.

Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards