ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,975

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#461 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:I looked at the Clipps box score and noticed Gortat's name wasn't listed anywhere. Checked on Rotoworld.com, and it says he was waived. Opportunity for John Moxley. Well, I assume somebody's going to sign Marcin quickly. Maybe the Celtica?

Theis and Williams are backing up Horford
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#462 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:32 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I looked at the Clipps box score and noticed Gortat's name wasn't listed anywhere. Checked on Rotoworld.com, and it says he was waived. Opportunity for John Moxley. Well, I assume somebody's going to sign Marcin quickly. Maybe the Celtica?

Theis and Williams are backing up Horford

A good reason to consider getting Gortat - though they're doing ok. Horford's had foot isues all season, so it might make sense to get insurance for the playoffs.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,548

Post#463 » by closg00 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:33 pm

The Grizz pick-up a former 1st Rounder off the scrap heap, 10-day, then multi-year contract
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,060

Post#464 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:20 am

No.

I don't think so. I hope that he is signed but he might be done.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,548

Post#465 » by closg00 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:27 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
No.

I don't think so. I hope that he is signed but he might be done.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app

The gift of Ernie's unnecessary 5th year that he gave him
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#466 » by ozthegap » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:33 am

and Anthony Davis just injured his shoulder. Man these are playing dirty.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#467 » by verbal8 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:51 am

I_Like_Dirt wrote:That's some odd math. Johnson and Ellington combine to make about $25.5 million this season and they waived Ellington. It costs them about $5 million this season. They have the space, so sure, but Johnson also isn't very good. There are loads of not-so-good PGs out there that they could have signed at any point in the offseason for that money. They absolutely should have waiting Miami out and let them pay their full tax bill if they didn't start throwing in something more worthwhile.

I think the cash pays for Ellington - because has already been paid over 1/2 his salary - he also likely agreed to some reduction from the full amount since he could(and did) get picked up for the vet minimum. However doing a favor like this typically nets at least a future 2nd to the acquiring team.

I guess the Suns figured have a useful player was worth the additional salary next season. It may be a bit of a sunk cost fallacy and having an aversion to waiving players.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Post#468 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:44 pm

verbal8 wrote:I guess the Suns figured have a useful player was worth the additional salary next season. It may be a bit of a sunk cost fallacy and having an aversion to waiving players.

I think it's more like other teams were asking the Suns for draft picks when they approached them with trades for PGs they liked and the Suns didn't want to take on draft picks, preferring instead to simply absorb the cost essentially "buying" their own draft picks in the process. Unfortunately for them, there is a greater cost, as you point out, with the sunk cost fallacy, and Tyler Johnson isn't very good and is more of an undersized SG than a PG, and not a particularly efficient scorer particularly for how selective he is with his shots given his role. If the Suns didn't want to give up picks or prospects for PGs, I would find that certainly understandable but it was pointless to rush things if they weren't. They're the team that really should have been out there making offers for Jrue Holiday, though it's probably better if they wait until after the draft so NO doesn't get hung up on insisting on their potential Zion.
Bucket! Bucket!
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#469 » by keynote » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:55 pm

You're allowed to fire a GM during the season?

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,459

Post#470 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:00 pm

keynote wrote:You're allowed to fire a GM during the season?

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app

You're allowed to fire a GM at all?

I thought they served for life, kinda like a Supreme Court justice.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#471 » by Eli Babak » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:24 pm

I was just gonna post that. He was hired in 2010. Ernie's been here since 2003... Sigh. Insane.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Post#472 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:24 pm

Eli Babak wrote:I was just gonna post that. He was hired in 2010. Ernie's been here since 2003... Sigh. Insane.

Demps was the only other GM in the top handful of longest-tenured GMs/presidents responsible for player/personnel decisions other than Ernie who had either a losing record or had never made the conference finals. And Ernie crushed him like a bug. Pretty sure Ernie has the worst possible luck. It's always the players' fault with him and he's just a completely innocent bystander, decade after decade.
Bucket! Bucket!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#473 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:56 pm

Kieff's got a job -- picked up by OKC to play out the season.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#474 » by leswizards » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:34 pm

We should start a go fund me account to fund an advertising campaign in New Orleans to convince them to hire eg.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,459

Post#475 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:06 pm

Read on Twitter

He would have been a nice fit here.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#476 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Yes, he would have. Was probably afraid to succeed the great Groan-fold comma Earn-not.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#477 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:54 pm

nate33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, Atlanta got themselves in good position, but they let Doncic slip through their fingers, and now they have the 5th worst record in the NBA. Quite frankly, I don't see them improving much - if at all - in the near future. Thing is - when you blow a pick that badly... you might not get another chance to build up your franchise. But I don't know who made that trade for Atlanta and decided Trae Young was a better choice.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#478 » by payitforward » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:34 am

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, Atlanta got themselves in good position, but they let Doncic slip through their fingers, and now they have the 5th worst record in the NBA. Quite frankly, I don't see them improving much - if at all - in the near future. Thing is - when you blow a pick that badly... you might not get another chance to build up your franchise. But I don't know who made that trade for Atlanta and decided Trae Young was a better choice.

An unbelievably brain dead move for sure.

But nothing to do w/ Ferry, who left Atlanta in... 2015 I believe.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#479 » by Pillendreher » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:39 am

payitforward wrote:Kieff's got a job -- picked up by OKC to play out the season.

Quick question for you guys: Any chance he can play the 3, especially in bench lineups? I would like Donovan to at least give a Schröder-George-Morris-Patterson-Adams lineup a try. I figure it could work against opposing benches unless they have multiple quick wings. :-? :-?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#480 » by Eli Babak » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:50 am

Pillendreher wrote:
payitforward wrote:Kieff's got a job -- picked up by OKC to play out the season.

Quick question for you guys: Any chance he can play the 3, especially in bench lineups? I would like Donovan to at least give a Schröder-George-Morris-Patterson-Adams lineup a try. I figure it could work against opposing benches unless they have multiple quick wings. :-? :-?

No way. He did a good job when he played against bigger 3s like Melo but nowadays most of those guys tend to play at the 4. Only way I can see it work is if for some reason opponent decides to play very slow-paced game. At least Markieff is a decent shooter.

He's also not a good rebounder and very lazy at times. I'm happy that he's not wearing Wiz uniform anymore but I'm sure he could be useful player for you guys as long as you don't play him more than 10-15 minutes per game. Here he was badly overrated by coaching staff and media I guess.

Return to Washington Wizards