ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: nate33, LyricalRico, montestewart

User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 45,973
And1: 5,445
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#741 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 4, 2019 6:08 am

When they make the playoffs remember this.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Living the best life I can...God is GOOD all the time.

I enjoy debating sports, not fussing at others who might have a different opinion. RealGM is for FUN.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 20,723
And1: 2,586
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#742 » by closg00 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:55 pm

Secret weapon under development
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,581
And1: 8,665
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#743 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 2:41 pm

closg00 wrote:Secret weapon under development


I think it's fairly likely that Fall will develop into a good post player, both on offense and defense. The problem is, he'll never get the opportunity to defend the post. Why would anybody try and post him up? They're going to pull him out to the perimeter and make him defend in space.

The one thing that interests me is that his massive height may make it difficult to stop him on offense if he continues to build his core strength. For the most part, post players don't get many opportunities these days because teams front the post. But Fall may be so tall that fronting the post is an ineffective means of stopping the entry pass. If he is strong enough to stand near the rim without being pushed out, he might present some problems for other teams.

I'm not sure if it matters much. I think he is going to be such a liability on defense that whatever he does on offense won't be enough.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,458
And1: 5,493
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#744 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:17 pm

Even if Memphis doesn't get to the playoffs this season, they are on the right track towards building a future championship contender, imo. At some point they'll need to add a couple of 3 point bombers.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,420
And1: 3,874
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#745 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 4, 2019 7:00 pm

Agreed, Ruz.

As to Tacko Fall -- it's fun to see someone make Enes Kanter look small! :)
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 45,973
And1: 5,445
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#746 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:00 pm

This season pools are going to really look good with Otto and Sato.

Conversely, the Wizards are really stupid for letting those two guys go.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Living the best life I can...God is GOOD all the time.

I enjoy debating sports, not fussing at others who might have a different opinion. RealGM is for FUN.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 45,973
And1: 5,445
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#747 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Pools?

Talk to text sucks.

The Bulls

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Living the best life I can...God is GOOD all the time.

I enjoy debating sports, not fussing at others who might have a different opinion. RealGM is for FUN.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,458
And1: 5,493
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#748 » by Ruzious » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:26 am

We occasionally bring up the idea that some players look they have bright futures, but they'll probably stink for a few years before the light goes on for them - so a smart team targets them for their 2nd contract and lets the team that drafted them develop them. I think we'll see that with Dragan Bender - the 4th pick of the 2016 draft - has sucked bad his first 3 NBA seasons. The Bucks gave him a 2 year/3.5 mil contract and have been excited as to what they're seeing. In the first 3 xhibition games, he's played 17.3 minutes per game averaging 13.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 2.0 blocks while shooting .583/.545/.750. Granted, it's not sustainable and is a small sample size, but at 21 years old - it looks like the light might be coming on for the 21 year old now playing for one of the better coaches in the NBA.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,581
And1: 8,665
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#749 » by nate33 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:43 am

Ruzious wrote:We occasionally bring up the idea that some players look they have bright futures, but they'll probably stink for a few years before the light goes on for them - so a smart team targets them for their 2nd contract and lets the team that drafted them develop them. I think we'll see that with Dragan Bender - the 4th pick of the 2016 draft - has sucked bad his first 3 NBA seasons. The Bucks gave him a 2 year/3.5 mil contract and have been excited as to what they're seeing. In the first 3 xhibition games, he's played 17.3 minutes per game averaging 13.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 2.0 blocks while shooting .583/.545/.750. Granted, it's not sustainable and is a small sample size, but at 21 years old - it looks like the light might be coming on for the 21 year old now playing for one of the better coaches in the NBA.

Hopefully, Justin Anderson is another successful example of the "second draft" strategy.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,420
And1: 3,874
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#750 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:56 pm

Nice about Bender; wish him luck. &, yes, whether it's with us or elsewhere, I hope Justin Anderson makes his career work.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,420
And1: 3,874
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#751 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Hey, just noticed that a guy we talked about a lot in this year's draft thread -- Dedric Lawson -- has been signed by the Spurs. Lawson went undrafted & was with the Warriors in SL. It's an unguaranteed exhibit 10 deal, & SA already has 15 guys w/ guaranteed, so maybe he'll wind up a 2 way player for them. Or maybe he'll be cut.

I'd love him as our 2d 2 way player. He lacks athleticism, but he had a trremendous season with Kansas last year.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
popper
Starter
Posts: 2,486
And1: 245
Joined: Jun 19, 2010

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#752 » by popper » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Carsen Edwards is a rare offensive talent and point machine who is going to overwhelm opponents with his 3 point shooting. I badly wanted the Wiz to get in a position to draft him. Would love to have traded down for an opportunity to select him. Celtics are going to rebound this year and Edwards will be a big reason why.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 20,723
And1: 2,586
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#753 » by closg00 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:30 pm

popper wrote:Carsen Edwards is a rare offensive talent and point machine who is going to overwhelm opponents with his 3 point shooting. I badly wanted the Wiz to get in a position to draft him. Would love to have traded down for an opportunity to select him. Celtics are going to rebound this year and Edwards will be a big reason why.


I was extremely jealous of the Celts watching him tearing it up in SL, I will be following him this season
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,581
And1: 8,665
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#754 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:49 pm

closg00 wrote:
popper wrote:Carsen Edwards is a rare offensive talent and point machine who is going to overwhelm opponents with his 3 point shooting. I badly wanted the Wiz to get in a position to draft him. Would love to have traded down for an opportunity to select him. Celtics are going to rebound this year and Edwards will be a big reason why.


I was extremely jealous of the Celts watching him tearing it up in SL, I will be following him this season

I don't know if Carsen Edwards can figure things out and become a true PG (which would make him a sure fire starter) or if he is destined merely to be an off-the-bench gunner in a PG's body. But, either way, he has a role in this league. If nothing else, put him on the 2nd unit with 4 one-dimensional defensive players, play pressure D, and have the half-court offense just be Carsen jacking up 3's off of high screens.
trast66
Senior
Posts: 746
And1: 385
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
   

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#755 » by trast66 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Extensions today: J. Brown, Sabonis, Hield. A lot of money (risk) to them but teams had little choice, can't let them get to free agency. These extension make it more likely Myles Turner, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Bjelica, and Gordon Hayward are super available.

And Zion out for 8 weeks. He's too heavy.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 10,931
And1: 3,816
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#756 » by FAH1223 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:33 pm

trast66 wrote:Extensions today: J. Brown, Sabonis, Hield. A lot of money (risk) to them but teams had little choice, can't let them get to free agency. These extension make it more likely Myles Turner, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Bjelica, and Gordon Hayward are super available.

And Zion out for 8 weeks. He's too heavy.

Dejounte Murray also got 4 years $64M
Image
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,458
And1: 5,493
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#757 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:Agreed -- Memphis is going to be an extremely interesting team this year!

But, Ruz, I'm curious -- what are you finding so interesting about the Hornets?

Sorry - I meant the Pelicans. I can never get used to that name. Yeah, the Hornets are likely going to be awful, imo.

Even with Mount Zion out, the Pels should be fun to watch. NAW was great in the preseason - I wouldn't be surprised if he's the ROY. But where do his minutes come from - they got so many wings in the offseason with the Lakers trade and signing Redick. If Jaxon Hayes is ready, they'll be a sight to see. They have a really deep roster. Look for them to trade Redick to a contender right before the trade deadline.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 20,723
And1: 2,586
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#758 » by closg00 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:01 pm

I was completely wrong about Pascal Siakam and his worth, I thought he was promising but not ready for the big pay day, he's worth what he's getting paid now.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,581
And1: 8,665
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#759 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:48 pm

Image

I'm assuming Golden State is going to tank now. The owe their 2020 pick to Brooklyn, but it's top 20 protected. They'll showcase Russell now and try and boost his trade value. If they could trade him at the Deadline or next summer for a couple of reliable vets, they'll get one more chance next year with Curry, Klay and Draymond before age catches up with them.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
Posts: 27,184
And1: 4,873
Joined: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Boardman gets paid!

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#760 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:01 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm assuming Golden State is going to tank now. The owe their 2020 pick to Brooklyn, but it's top 20 protected. They'll showcase Russell now and try and boost his trade value. If they could trade him at the Deadline or next summer for a couple of reliable vets, they'll get one more chance next year with Curry, Klay and Draymond before age catches up with them.


I assume so, too. They're far too thin to handle the kinds of injuries they were hit with. Even if they don't find a taker for Russell, it's not like he's a bad player or anything, just not on the level of their other stars. Having him as a 4th man along with a high draft pick and a chance to go fishing for a vet or two with the MLE seems like a recipe for building a very good top 8 rotation very quickly. They need to get a few things right along the way, though. And trading Russell would definitely help even more if the goal is winning next season, though I get the impression they also have their eye on succession planning a bit, too, and I'm not sure how that fits.
Bucket! Bucket!

Return to Washington Wizards