ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards 2019 Draft thread. (Tank for Zion, or OTHER NAME HERE)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Wizards 2019 Draft thread. (Tank for Zion, or OTHER NAME HERE) 

Post#1 » by doclinkin » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:56 pm

Too early? I think not.

Early struggles year after year suggest that every year this team has an opportunity to rebuild on the fly. Recall some part of Ted's 10 point plan was to suck hard and try to suck lucky. In that respect I suspect that this team enters every year with a DELIBERATE design flaw. That one reason Ernie is so smug and comfortable in his job is that he has convinced Ted that the only way to win in this league is to land the next superstar. Every other team just muddles along. Now nevermind that we missed on Stef Curry under his watch (weren't we just trying a last ditch effort to win another cake for an ailing Abe that year? Where's the cake. Bring that cake in). As such I think some part of the team plan is to have exactly zero back-ups in any position of significance. So you can win with the starters but when they are injured you can coimmit hard to TEH SUCK and crater fast.

Good is the enemy of great. What you want is a team where you can look fine but also have an injury excuse when you don't, and then you can follow the San Antonio model of losing an injured Admiral and landing a Tim Duncan. You get your star back healthy and Boom. Dynasty.

It's all in the Plan the Plan the Plan.
The lack of DHoward up front allows this team to be historically bad at rebounding.
The Coach fully commits to TEH SUCK by playing a bench dump in relief of the starters and allows us to lose leads.
Starters come in and overwork trying to make up the deficit. This takes a ton of effort and wears them out. This bears the happy coincidence of an injury risk from exhaustion, which means you might get to sit them for a few weeks at a time and rack critical L's while still looking like you're trying hard.
Key players who do play with more efficiency than flash are held as scapegoats and starved of minutes (Otto, Saty). Where proven inefficient players who look scrappy are given unearned minutes (Rivers, Smith)
Decent players who might improve the bench are passed over in the second round (sell that pick) since the PLAN is to frontload the team, not to build a solid foundation from the ground up.
We supplement the team by hiring players with built in flaws, late career vets who are sure to be injured, chemistry question marks, so we can ensure a few good early season struggles-- albeit with a cushion of excuses that the real team hasn't played together yet.

It is all the Plan. The PLAN! So that every year is either feast or famine. On purpose. So that we can either make the playoffs if everyone is healthy, or flame out and earn those ping pong balls for our only real chance at a championship.

With that said, yes! Good losses early! Lets look ahead at who we should pick up with our lotto pick!

I will try to keep the front page updated with a list of players discussed. Maybe with links to meaty discussions. A few names to consider:

Zion
Bol Bol
Cam Reddish
RJ Barrett
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Re: Wizards 2019 Draft thread. (Tank for Zion, or OTHER NAME HERE) 

Post#2 » by Dat2U » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm all about Zion. I have seen NOTHING like him in all my years of watching basketball. A 280 Ib monster that can literally fly??? That my friends, is the definition of a unicorn!
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#3 » by WallToWall » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:14 pm

At this point, I am willing to trade Wall for picks. Wall's window is closing, and this cast of characters will not get it done. So, time to make some changes. We need to get as many picks as we can in this years and next years draft.

We need EG to engineer some trades for picks. He is good at that. Probably the only thing he is good at doing. Then we need EG to fire the coach. Finally, we need EG to fire himself...because the owner will not do it.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,220

Post#4 » by MikeTheKid » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:57 pm

I don't think we'll end up with a top 3 let alone top 5 unless we make a trade so Zion or Cam Reddish is out the window. If we end up with a late lottery pick I like Jontay Porter of Mizzou, can shoot, pass and shot block, or Daniel Gallard whose more of a rim runner shot blocker Javale McGee type.

I hate to jump on the name bandwagon but Tyler Herro of Kentucky can score if we could pluck him in the late 1st or early 2nd
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Take the 3 Dukees. Hell, take Coach K with them. He won't have to worry about recruiting violations. Actually, I like Sticks Smith from MD. If we can't get the 3 Dukees, get him and 2 Dukees. Trade everyone on the roster for picks and rookies, hire an up-and-coming young coach (or Coach K), and after 2 years of suckage, sign a couple of max UFA's and a couple of 3 point shooters with high BBIQs.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#6 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:Take the 3 Dukees. Hell, take Coach K with them. He won't have to worry about recruiting violations. Actually, I like Sticks Smith from MD. If we can't get the 3 Dukees, get him and 2 Dukees. Trade everyone on the roster for picks and rookies, hire an up-and-coming young coach (or Coach K), and after 2 years of suckage, sign a couple of max UFA's and a couple of 3 point shooters with high BBIQs.

I still say we hire Coach Ginobili. And let him suggest a new GM.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Take the 3 Dukees. Hell, take Coach K with them. He won't have to worry about recruiting violations. Actually, I like Sticks Smith from MD. If we can't get the 3 Dukees, get him and 2 Dukees. Trade everyone on the roster for picks and rookies, hire an up-and-coming young coach (or Coach K), and after 2 years of suckage, sign a couple of max UFA's and a couple of 3 point shooters with high BBIQs.

At 41, he counts as a bright young head coach. I wonder if he'd consider The Big Fundamental for GM. TBFKATSW (the blogger formerly known as...) would be my choice as GM if I won the $1.6 billion lottery and bought an NBA team.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#8 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:48 am

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

At 41, he counts as a bright young head coach. I wonder if he'd consider The Big Fundamental for GM. TBFKATSW (the blogger formerly known as...) would be my choice as GM if I won the $1.6 billion lottery and bought an NBA team.

The Secret Kevin. Sure. Or at least bring him in as a consultant as has been a recent trend of teams hiring nerd fans to improve their analytics and keep themselves honest. I do think there's a fairly high level of herd intelligence on these boards. Or in wizards fandom at least.

That said seems to me someone who has worked in the Spurs organization would have insight how to put together a solid structure for long term success. Dunno if Big Timmy has any insight or desire to build an organization. But I suspect Manu would have an idea who does.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#9 » by WallToWall » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:25 am

For a new coach, I would look at the Golden State Warriors assistant coaches also.
Chris DeMarco, Mike Brown, Jarron Collins... They are all good in some aspects, and would be a good fit depending on what we are looking for. Collins is a good developer of young talent. Brown has already done some head coaching so we have some history.
I really like current assistant GM, Kirk Lacob. He is pretty darn smart, and has the experience of helping in building a good organization, and attracting team oriented players. Small problem is that his dad owns the Warriors...so he's not budging..but you never know. He was once a Wizard. Yup, GM of the Dakota Wizards.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#10 » by trast66 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:49 am

The plan is probably to trade our first round pick.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#11 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:28 pm

The kid at .Michigan State rebounds exceptionally well. Maryland's big guy, Bruno Fernandez, might develop faster now that Jalen Smith's going to help in the frontcourt. There's a kid named Boatwright who is an all around good player.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#12 » by Shoe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:54 am

Please keep losing and get the worst record. The 25% chance to get Zion is the best thing this franchise can hope for. He is also the most likeable kid in the draft.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#13 » by keynote » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Let's fire up the tank.

I thought of (and discarded) a few phrases: dyin' for Zion; filibuster loss to fill a busted roster; "no sir" for Nassir; squeal and run for Williamson; etc.

I've settled on "Marching to Zion."

:clap: :clap:

It'll be a big tent revival. Everyone's welcome. It's going to be a long season; don't forget your church fan.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:37 pm

MikeTheKid wrote:I don't think we'll end up with a top 3 let alone top 5 unless we make a trade so Zion or Cam Reddish is out the window. If we end up with a late lottery pick I like Jontay Porter of Mizzou, can shoot, pass and shot block, or Daniel Gallard whose more of a rim runner shot blocker Javale McGee type.

I hate to jump on the name bandwagon but Tyler Herro of Kentucky can score if we could pluck him in the late 1st or early 2nd

You guys shoould focus on fixing that front court. You have all the SGs/SFs you need.

Jontay Porter would be great for you guys long term. A couple of years from now -- with some strength training and a full recovery from his knee injuries -- that young man could be Nikola Jokic-lite.

And his injury situation likely means he slides a bit, meaning you guys should have a full opportunity to pick him (outside of a surprising run to a top-4 playoff seed.)

Spoiler:
No. 10 | Jontay Porter | PF/C | Missouri

Class: So. | HT: 7’0” | WT: 240

Porter flirted with entering the draft before deciding to return to Missouri for a second season. Now outside of his brother’s shadow, the 18-year-old big man will be the best prospect on campus. Porter’s potential is rooted in his polished offensive game. He has a soft touch on his shots, and routinely controls passes in traffic. If he can develop his defensive arsenal, Porter will jump up the rankings.
Pre-injury Scouting Report

Rui Hachimura could be a stronger Markief Morris without all the baggage. (Or not crazy Ron Artest)

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
While undeniably raw on the offensive end, Hachimura’s defense is what has him ranked so high. At 6-foot-9, he’s the prototypical NBA forward on that end, switching onto the perimeter with ease and blowing up plays with his athleticism.

If polished and developed, Hachimura could be the best defender in this draft class. His sheer upside on that side of the ball should pique the interest of late-lottery teams.

Last season, Hachimura shot just 19.2 percent from deep — obviously not an ideal number. His fluidity as an athlete leaves serious promise long-term, but he’ll need to become more consistent, especially as a shooter, to provide value at the next level.
Pre-Season Scouting Report
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#15 » by closg00 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:44 pm

We will lose the pick in the blow-up
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
MikeTheKid wrote:I don't think we'll end up with a top 3 let alone top 5 unless we make a trade so Zion or Cam Reddish is out the window. If we end up with a late lottery pick I like Jontay Porter of Mizzou, can shoot, pass and shot block, or Daniel Gallard whose more of a rim runner shot blocker Javale McGee type.

You guys shoould focus on fixing that front court. You have all the SGs/SFs you need.

Jontay Porter would be great for you guys long term. A couple of years from now -- with some strength training and a full recovery from his knee injuries -- that young man could be Nikola Jokic-lite.

And his injury situation likely means he slides a bit, meaning you guys should have a full opportunity to pick him (outside of a surprising run to a top-4 playoff seed.)

Spoiler:
No. 10 | Jontay Porter | PF/C | Missouri

Class: So. | HT: 7’0” | WT: 240

Porter flirted with entering the draft before deciding to return to Missouri for a second season. Now outside of his brother’s shadow, the 18-year-old big man will be the best prospect on campus. Porter’s potential is rooted in his polished offensive game. He has a soft touch on his shots, and routinely controls passes in traffic. If he can develop his defensive arsenal, Porter will jump up the rankings.
Pre-injury Scouting Report

Rui Hachimura could be a stronger Markief Morris without all the baggage. (Or not crazy Ron Artest)

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
While undeniably raw on the offensive end, Hachimura’s defense is what has him ranked so high. At 6-foot-9, he’s the prototypical NBA forward on that end, switching onto the perimeter with ease and blowing up plays with his athleticism.

If polished and developed, Hachimura could be the best defender in this draft class. His sheer upside on that side of the ball should pique the interest of late-lottery teams.

Last season, Hachimura shot just 19.2 percent from deep — obviously not an ideal number. His fluidity as an athlete leaves serious promise long-term, but he’ll need to become more consistent, especially as a shooter, to provide value at the next level.
Pre-Season Scouting Report

I'm a big Jontay fan, but... the injury situation you speak of is the problem with him (as well as him needing to improve his conditioning) - especially when you look at his brother and sister having terrible injury problems - it's in the genetics.

Hachimura is a gifted offensive player who - when I've seen him - is just as bad defensively as he's good offensively. But that could change - I haven't seen him in a while. I was more impressed with his teammate Tillie, tbh. If he can add some strength (actually a lot), Tillie could fit really well into today's NBA as a PF/C - now that he's developed a consistent 3 ball. I think he has more upside than former Zags C/PF Sabonis. Zags bigs are in style - Johnathan Williams made the Lakers, and Zack Collins is improving.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#17 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:07 pm

We need a gm who knows what seasons to tank. Ernie has no clue about how to diagnose big m an talent years before they got nba. Our entire season records should be based on this. Would we rather lose in first round or tank for a season DeAndre ayton and watch beauty for a decade. I get be you three years ago, Grunfeld had no clue who ayton was but the suns gm did. He knew suns record before season even started and strategized with owner.
This org doesn't plan around big man talent and it's clear as day. Leonsis should take a lily heat with grunfailed.
Hopefully caps push leonsis.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'm a big Jontay fan, but... the injury situation you speak of is the problem with him (as well as him needing to improve his conditioning) - especially when you look at his brother and sister having terrible injury problems - it's in the genetics.

Hachimura is a gifted offensive player who - when I've seen him - is just as bad defensively as he's good offensively. But that could change - I haven't seen him in a while. I was more impressed with his teammate Tillie, tbh. If he can add some strength (actually a lot), Tillie could fit really well into today's NBA as a PF/C - now that he's developed a consistent 3 ball. I think he has more upside than former Zags C/PF Sabonis. Zags bigs are in style - Johnathan Williams made the Lakers, and Zack Collins is improving.

Noted.

Also, this:

Read on Twitter
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Post#19 » by daSwami » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:37 pm

It's time to blow this thing up starting with the front office. EG is incompetent and cannot be trusted to manage ANOTHER rebuild. Watching this team as presently constructed is torture.
:banghead:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards