ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards Ready To Discuss John Wall, Bradley Beal Trade

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

MarcoPolo
Rookie
And1: 183

Re: Wizards Ready To Discuss John Wall, Bradley Beal Trade 

Post#241 » by MarcoPolo » Sat Dec 1, 2018 8:42 pm

They gonna trade him without asking him if he wants out or not? It's not like he's gonna tell in front of camera that he wants out of this mess. For which to be true he's greatly responsible alongside his "teammate" JW.

#Everybody eats but not everybody at the same table.
Wiz99
Analyst
And1: 160

Post#242 » by Wiz99 » Sat Dec 1, 2018 11:35 pm

At this point I...

1. Absolutely, positively want to get rid of Wall and the crippling cap hit that’s his salary, by any means necessary short of having to attach more than 1 future first rounder. Aside from a Sarver brain fart, my main hope is Detroit realizes they’re already in cap hell with Blake’s contract, so why not bring in Wall. A revitalized John would be waaaaay better than their current options.

2. We don’t want to be mediocre. Holding on to Beal leaves us in the middle of the road. Trade him for young talent. What’s the chance Philly realizes Simmons is now 3rd banana and they’re better off with a deadeye shooter in that role than a guy who’s best when the focal point of the offense?

3. Don’t really care whether we keep Otto or not. Just want the rebuild to begin so I have something to hope for.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#243 » by pcbothwel » Sat Dec 1, 2018 11:54 pm

Wiz99 wrote:At this point I...

1. Absolutely, positively want to get rid of Wall and the crippling cap hit that’s his salary, by any means necessary short of having to attach more than 1 future first rounder. Aside from a Sarver brain fart, my main hope is Detroit realizes they’re already in cap hell with Blake’s contract, so why not bring in Wall. A revitalized John would be waaaaay better than their current options.

2. We don’t want to be mediocre. Holding on to Beal leaves us in the middle of the road. Trade him for young talent. What’s the chance Philly realizes Simmons is now 3rd banana and they’re better off with a deadeye shooter in that role than a guy who’s best when the focal point of the offense?

3. Don’t really care whether we keep Otto or not. Just want the rebuild to begin so I have something to hope for.

Unless someone overpays, I dont trade any of the big 3 or Sato. Trade Oubre + filler to get under tax, start Sato with Otto, enjoy.

I think by mid-July, Walls contract is going to look quite different. There is going to be a TON of cap space and people will look at Wall as a top 10 PG averaging 21 & 9 with a TS of 54/55%. Im not giving up a SINGLE asset to dump Wall.

I dont necessarily want to double down on this core or anything, but I'm really interested to see how starting Sato (Tonights a good start) will have a trickle down effect.
Wiz99
Analyst

Post#244 » by Wiz99 » Sat Dec 1, 2018 11:56 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

Unless someone overpays, I dont trade any of the big 3 or Sato. Trade Oubre + filler to get under tax, start Sato with Otto, enjoy.

I think by mid-July, Walls contract is going to look quite different. There is going to be a TON of cap space and people will look at Wall as a top 10 PG averaging 21 & 9 with a TS of 54/55%. Im not giving up a SINGLE asset to dump Wall.

I dont necessarily want to double down on this core or anything, but I'm really interested to see how starting Sato (Tonights a good start) will have a trickle down effect.

Why do you think there will be ANY cap space, let alone a ton?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#245 » by pcbothwel » Sun Dec 2, 2018 9:38 pm

Wiz99 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Why do you think there will be ANY cap space, let alone a ton?

Im not sure what you mean. Half the league will have a max spot with at least 3-4 having two max spots. There simply isnt the supply of worthy talent for the 20M+ contracts out there. Once the Butler, KD, Klay, Kyrie, Kemba group all sign (which BTW could even further push teams if most of them simply resign), then you get to the 2nd tier of Mirotic and Tobias...
But then what?

Sure, some teams could simply sit on the space or overpay players on 1 year deals, though that didnt work out well with Ariza and Tyreke this year.
I think teams will see a FA class full of Kanter, Rubio, KCP, Wes Matthews, Danny Green, and Gay... they'll really be more open to moving on to Wall.

The Knicks, Pacers, Lakers, Bulls, Magic, and Suns all have a need at PG and need to start winning.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#246 » by payitforward » Mon Dec 3, 2018 2:00 am

pcbothwel wrote:...I think teams will see a FA class full of Kanter, Rubio, KCP, Wes Matthews, Danny Green, and Gay... they'll really be more open to moving on to Wall.

The Knicks, Pacers, Lakers, Bulls, Magic, and Suns all have a need at PG and need to start winning.

Right, & since they can see the way having Wall in insuring our winning a lot of games, they won't hesitate to pay the price. Is that what you mean?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#247 » by pcbothwel » Mon Dec 3, 2018 2:43 pm

payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:...I think teams will see a FA class full of Kanter, Rubio, KCP, Wes Matthews, Danny Green, and Gay... they'll really be more open to moving on to Wall.

Right, & since they can see the way having Wall in insuring our winning a lot of games, they won't hesitate to pay the price. Is that what you mean?

Of course they will hesitate, its 40M dollars. But we all understand how the cap works, and once you've gone over it doesnt really matter if you are over by $1 or $10M...
I think there are a number of scenarios in which those teams take on Wall. First, lets be open to the real possibility that KD leaves, but Klay and Kyrie resign along with one, if not both of Butler & Kawhi.

Big Market Names needing to pounce:

Knicks: This is probably there one shot at FA. Once they max porzingis, it gets a lot tougher as his salary + Noah hit is about 34M. Maybe they get one of KD, Jimmy, or Kawhi... but if not, Im not sure how they justify the Noah stretch. If they made some trade by which they move THJ and Frank for expirings, then they could re-visit FA in 2020... but not sure they have the patience.

Lakers: Somewhat the same as Knicks. LAL is punting this season, but no way in hell will Lebron/media allow them to miss out next year too. If they dont land KD or Kawhi... it could get ugly. Ingram & Ball's value are plummeting by the day and they need another star. Again, I see only 2 Star FA's changing teams, so maybe its NYK and LAL that strike gold... but who knows

Rebuilding teams Ready to be in playoffs...Finally:

Bulls: The Bulls will have a top 5 pick to go along with Carter and Markennen. Now, they could certainly wait it out and go into 2020 FA, but they appear to have huge holes at the 1 & 3 and if they end up with Barrett, Reddish, or Little... they might look for the PG to take them to the next level.

Magic: Just like the Bulls, they have been rebuilding going on 3 years now and have a clear hole at the PG position. They might get the itch to make a move this summer even though they CAN wait until 2020.

Suns: Same as Magic and Bulls, except even more pronounced sense to take the leap. Like the Knicks, the Suns will have just maxed out their franchise player and will need to start winning before the culture implodes. They have Booker & Ayton as cornerstones with Warren & Bridges as nice rotational pieces. They also have another top 3-4 pick. Could you imagine if they get Zion? Ayton - Zion - Bridges - Booker - ??? I think Sarver looks to make a move, even if like the Magic/Bulls, they COULD wait another year.

When you consider the Mavs & Clippers both are top flight organizations with good coaching, execs, young players, and big market... you have to assume at least 1, if not both the Lakers and Knicks will be left out in the cold.

And at least 1, if not 2 of the rebuilding teams above will try to make some noise. Does that mean Wall? Maybe not, but he's by far the most impactful player you can get without giving up major assets as his salary is bloated.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,471

Post#248 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#249 » by Pillendreher » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Let's bump this with the Wall news.

EDIT: Sorry, wasn't trying to intrude: Had this thread in my history and thought it was the trade board. :oops:
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#250 » by Eli Babak » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:00 pm

It would be foolish to trade Porter now, his value is very low because he's been injured and hasn't played well (I'd only consider if Sacramento would eat Mahinmi's deal and give us something nice in addition to cap relief). Beal on the other hand is very valuable asset but I don't want Ernie to handle any trades or drafts. IT IS OVER, TED! WAKE UP!!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#251 » by payitforward » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 pm

Foolish, no doubt -- & that is what makes me feel like predicting it.

I guarantee you Ted & Ernie are convinced that they've just been unlucky this season. That is, Ernie has convinced Ted of the idea.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#252 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:45 am

payitforward wrote:Foolish, no doubt -- & that is what makes me feel like predicting it.

I guarantee you Ted & Ernie are convinced that they've just been unlucky this season. That is, Ernie has convinced Ted of the idea.

Exactly. And this is why they won't trade Beal or Porter. They'll look to move Ariza for smaller contracts to avoid the luxtax. Hopefully they'll try and move Morris too.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,052

Post#253 » by queridiculo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:47 am

Pillendreher wrote:
Read on Twitter

Let's bump this with the Wall news.

EDIT: Sorry, wasn't trying to intrude: Had this thread in my history and thought it was the trade board. :oops:

The logic of these Wall is out for the season, Wizards need to trade Porter and Beal hot takes :nonono:

Also, wtf is Keith Smith, his profile picture looks like some creeper caught in a pedo sting.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#254 » by I_Like_Dirt » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:09 am

nate33 wrote:
Exactly. And this is why they won't trade Beal or Porter. They'll look to move Ariza for smaller contracts to avoid the luxtax. Hopefully they'll try and move Morris too.

They will try but I hope they don't succeed. I want this team paying as much tax as possible this season. I want the team to reconsider the notion that throwing money at aging vets in free agency is a winning path. And I want it obvious that Ernie has built a mess that is more than just accidental so that even if Ted keeps him around, the media spotlight stays on the Wizards and Ted takes a financial hit in staying the course with Ernie. Enough of these spur of the moment adjustments when things don't work out. Ernie is Bryan Colangelo who just hasn't been caught with burner accounts.
Bucket! Bucket!
Wiz99
Analyst

Post#255 » by Wiz99 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:53 am

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Of course they will hesitate, its 40M dollars. But we all understand how the cap works, and once you've gone over it doesnt really matter if you are over by $1 or $10M...
I think there are a number of scenarios in which those teams take on Wall. First, lets be open to the real possibility that KD leaves, but Klay and Kyrie resign along with one, if not both of Butler & Kawhi.

Big Market Names needing to pounce:

Knicks: This is probably there one shot at FA. Once they max porzingis, it gets a lot tougher as his salary + Noah hit is about 34M. Maybe they get one of KD, Jimmy, or Kawhi... but if not, Im not sure how they justify the Noah stretch. If they made some trade by which they move THJ and Frank for expirings, then they could re-visit FA in 2020... but not sure they have the patience.

Lakers: Somewhat the same as Knicks. LAL is punting this season, but no way in hell will Lebron/media allow them to miss out next year too. If they dont land KD or Kawhi... it could get ugly. Ingram & Ball's value are plummeting by the day and they need another star. Again, I see only 2 Star FA's changing teams, so maybe its NYK and LAL that strike gold... but who knows

Rebuilding teams Ready to be in playoffs...Finally:

Bulls: The Bulls will have a top 5 pick to go along with Carter and Markennen. Now, they could certainly wait it out and go into 2020 FA, but they appear to have huge holes at the 1 & 3 and if they end up with Barrett, Reddish, or Little... they might look for the PG to take them to the next level.

Magic: Just like the Bulls, they have been rebuilding going on 3 years now and have a clear hole at the PG position. They might get the itch to make a move this summer even though they CAN wait until 2020.

Suns: Same as Magic and Bulls, except even more pronounced sense to take the leap. Like the Knicks, the Suns will have just maxed out their franchise player and will need to start winning before the culture implodes. They have Booker & Ayton as cornerstones with Warren & Bridges as nice rotational pieces. They also have another top 3-4 pick. Could you imagine if they get Zion? Ayton - Zion - Bridges - Booker - ??? I think Sarver looks to make a move, even if like the Magic/Bulls, they COULD wait another year.

When you consider the Mavs & Clippers both are top flight organizations with good coaching, execs, young players, and big market... you have to assume at least 1, if not both the Lakers and Knicks will be left out in the cold.

And at least 1, if not 2 of the rebuilding teams above will try to make some noise. Does that mean Wall? Maybe not, but he's by far the most impactful player you can get without giving up major assets as his salary is bloated.

Quality post.

Even with John out rest of year.

A lot of these situations will still be in play next year before trade deadline.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#256 » by pcbothwel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:33 pm

Thanks Wiz,
I wrote it a month ago and I still feel the same.
Move Ariza, Morris, & Green to get under the tax.
This summer is really going to be a sellers market.

Everyone talking about the Lakers & Knicks are stuck in 1997. The Clippers & Mavs have TOP FLIGHT organizations in major cities.

BTW... If NOP continues to flail, I'd love to see Philly at the deadline be the darkhorse and offer up Embiid for Davis. I dont see how Jimmy Butler leaves, and if he did, you'd have a max spot available and every FA lineup for a sit down about teaming up with Simmons and Davis.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#257 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 2, 2019 3:27 pm

Time is now for Wizards to regroup, clean house

Washington has chance to chart new course in wake of John Wall's injury

For years, the Wizards resisted any urge to break up a group that couldn’t crack the Eastern Conference elite and showed signs of tapping out. Now, they finally have their chance to push reset. With heel surgery looming, Wall is out for the season. The Wizards are currently a few games better than the starting-from-scratch Atlanta Hawks and therefore headed nowhere special. What more of a hint do they need?

Changing the makeup of this franchise will send hope to the fan base, may put the Wizards in contention for a top pick in a top-heavy 2019 draft, clean up the salary cap if their moves are done properly, and set the table for a new beginning once Wall returns next season.

Changes are long overdue anyway and the Wizards now have their opening, their excuse, their chance to do something with minimal blowback. The only real question is whether this should be done by current management or if it’s more of a job for replacements.

The Wall-Beal-Porter core, still young and in its prime, are all good assets on the surface. But after advancing to the East semifinals in 2014, '15 and '17, the Wizards lost to the Raptors in the first round last season and still haven’t won 50-plus games with this core.

Step One --

Keep Beal: He’s their most marketable player and dozens of teams would be interested in him, but for the Wizards' sake he's probably better in their uniform, barring an unexpected blockbuster deal that’s in their favor. Beal is averaging 23.6 points per game on 47.1 percent shooting, and he's just 25 years old. He’s also signed for two more seasons. While he and Wall were often on the wrong page early in their careers, they’ve developed a workable relationship. When healthy, they’re still among the top backcourts in basketball.
NBA.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#258 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:07 pm

An abridged version of the Insider piece:

Next moves for the Wizards: Retool around Beal or rebuild?

Ownership now must decide if the failure of this season is the result of flawed roster, injuries or a combination.

The future of Bradley Beal: Build around or trade?

The Wizards are faced with an interesting choice when it comes to the future of Beal. The All-Star is not only the team's best player but also the lone tradable asset on the roster. The question for the front office comes down to this: Does Washington look at Beal as part of the future, or is it better to extract the most value from his standout season with an eye toward rebuilding the roster?

Washington would need to get an overwhelming trade package that would kickstart a rebuild to consider a deal. But there is also a financial component with Beal, who will become supermax-eligible if he earns All-NBA this season.

In that case, the Wizards would have close to $90 million tied up in Beal and Wall in 2021-22.

Is that financial model sustainable for a high-level team?
ESPN
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#259 » by Dark Faze » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:04 pm

I suspect that the Wizards would supermax Brad if given the choice. Reason being that they can have their cake and eat it too:

A. Barring Beal injury or falling off in play, him being locked up long term means he can always be moved a little later down the road. And teams will know he's forced to play out his contract with them.

B. Let's be honest, they want to give John a chance to get back to the form that got him his supermax, and see what such a player and this new look Brad can do.

In the meantime, they keep collecting high first rounders and filling out the roster with cheap talent. This is likely to be the plan.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#260 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:32 pm

<duplicate>

Return to Washington Wizards