ImageImageImageImageImage

Bradley Beal Voiced Frustrations With Wizards' Organization During Practice

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Bradley Beal Voiced Frustrations With Wizards' Organization During Practice 

Post#1 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Bradley Beal took aim at officials from the Washington Wizards, including Ernie Grunfeld, at a recent practice.

“I’ve been dealing with this s— for 7 years — it starts top-down,” said Beal.

John Wall also reportedly verbally cussed out Scott Brooks during a recent practice.

Don't be shocked if they trade Beal, just to prove how **** an organization Ted Leonsis has allowed it to become.

Whatever the case, good for Bradley Beal for putting Leonsis, Grunfeld, and Wall on Front St.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: Bradley Beal Voiced Frustrations With Wizards' Organization During Practice 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:40 pm

It's time to break this core up. Starting with Beal and Wall.

From The Athletic:

Poor play, internal fighting and trade rumors: The Wizards might be at rock bottom

Bradley​ Beal​ closed​ this past​ Thursday’s now​ infamous Wizards​ practice with​ a suggestion.

Players​ were​ about to huddle to​ conclude​ the​​ day and one mumbled some words under his breath, expressing unhappiness with the way things were going amid a 5-11 start.

But Beal had an idea. Just before the huddle, people who were present for the moment recounted, he said something along the lines of, “Let’s get it all out. Everybody say what you want to say.”

A bunch of players did just that and it got heated.

Beal walked off the floor. That’s when he said he was tired of the direction the group was heading, according to sources. It’s when he gestured to team president Ernie Grunfeld and declared, “I’ve been dealing with this **** for seven years. It starts top-down,” as The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported Monday.

In talking with people around the league, it’s clear that Beal’s value stands high and above Porter’s or Wall’s. Beal has three years and $81 million remaining on his contract, including this season, generally considered fair value.

Multiple opposing front office staffers suggested that Beal could fetch more in a deal than the Clippers received when they recently traded five-time All-Star Blake Griffin or the Spurs received when they parted with former NBA Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard. But the Wizards have made no attempt to include Beal in any sort of legitimate trade discussions, according to sources.

If they were to place Beal on the market, “He isn’t the best player who’s been available in the past few years, but he’s the best player with the best contract situation,” someone who works in the front office of another organization told The Athletic.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,356

Post#3 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Beal is attempting to save the franchise.

It is pretty evident that if EG remains, Beal will depart in free agency. Beal is the only asset on this team with any real value. He is forcing Ted to decide between EG or his one valuable asset. Let's hope Ted makes the right decision.

God I hate Ted Leonsis. Every pundit and NBA expert will tell you that Grunfeld is somewhere between mediocre and laughably bad as a GM. Most people quietly snicker when the subject of Ernie Grunfeld and the Wizards comes up. Now the players themselves are making it known that Grunfeld is a horrible GM. Basically, EVERYONE knows that Grunfeld stinks and needs to be fired. But Ted Leonsis is so arrogant, he believes he is smarter than literally everyone else who follows the game.

Leonsis will probably keep Grunfeld to prove that he is right, even if it takes Grunfeld 4 or 5 rebuilds to finally achieve 50 wins.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:It's time to break this core up. Starting with Beal and Wall.

Yes, we should all take the advice of an Atlanta Hawks fan who is trying to steal Beal from us. That'll fix the franchise.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#5 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:51 pm

I mean, yeah, break up the core, but it starts with firing Ernie Grunfeld. Everything else is just window dressing. The only longer tenured executives in charge of basketball operations are: Popovich, Riley, Ainge, and John Paxson (assuming he's the guy and not Gar Forman which isn't always clear). Three of those guys have won championships and another one of those guys has made the conference finals. Four of those guys have winning records in their positions. And then there's Grunfeld.
Bucket! Bucket!
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#6 » by noworriesinmd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:04 pm

After reading this, I really want to keep Beal now!

Tweet
On Saturday, the #Wizards had this heated practice in which Bradley Beal and Austin Rivers had a verbal altercation.

Beal grew heated and gestured toward Pres Ernie Grunfeld, and said something along the lines 'It starts at the top.'

More details coming.
— Candace Buckner (@CandaceDBuckner) November 20, 2018

https://deadspin.com/the-wizards-are-like-if-a-sarlacc-took-up-residence-und-1830551774

This org is a DUMPSTER FIRE.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 pm

nate33 wrote:

Yes, we should all take the advice of an Atlanta Hawks fan who is trying to steal Beal from us. That'll fix the franchise.

LOL

Dude. Beal isn't going to Atlanta. No chance of it.

Beal is now at the point where he wants and needs to be moved. Wiz fans, understandably, refuse to even consider it.

But the signs were there long before this stretch.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Nate, for some reason, you refused to see it. Waaaaaay back in November 2018 you refused to even consider that Beal was unhappy here and would be interested in leaving.

Fast forward to November 2018 and suddenly you see what's been obvious to the rest of the league.

The truth is, this has been a toxic situation for quite a while. Your front office let it simmer for too long and now it's boiled over for all to see.

You can dismiss me because I once floated a trade proposal. :dontknow:

But don't say you weren't warned.

Spoiler:
Please don't ban me because we disagree.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#8 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:22 pm

From The Athletic:

Poor play, internal fighting and trade rumors: The Wizards might be at rock bottom

Bradley​ Beal​ closed​ this past​ Thursday’s now​ infamous Wizards​ practice with​ a suggestion.

Players​ were​ about to huddle to​ conclude​ the​​ day and one mumbled some words under his breath, expressing unhappiness with the way things were going amid a 5-11 start.

But Beal had an idea. Just before the huddle, people who were present for the moment recounted, he said something along the lines of, “Let’s get it all out. Everybody say what you want to say.”

A bunch of players did just that and it got heated.

Beal walked off the floor. That’s when he said he was tired of the direction the group was heading, according to sources. It’s when he gestured to team president Ernie Grunfeld and declared, “I’ve been dealing with this **** for seven years. It starts top-down,” as The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported Monday.

In talking with people around the league, it’s clear that Beal’s value stands high and above Porter’s or Wall’s. Beal has three years and $81 million remaining on his contract, including this season, generally considered fair value.

Multiple opposing front office staffers suggested that Beal could fetch more in a deal than the Clippers received when they recently traded five-time All-Star Blake Griffin or the Spurs received when they parted with former NBA Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard. But the Wizards have made no attempt to include Beal in any sort of legitimate trade discussions, according to sources.

If they were to place Beal on the market, “He isn’t the best player who’s been available in the past few years, but he’s the best player with the best contract situation,” someone who works in the front office of another organization told The Athletic.

I don't like the idea of trading Bradley Beal. He's one of the sounder, more level-headed, big name players that the Wizards have.

Build the team around him and let John Wall go.

Although the story suggests that Beal could net more in return in a trade, than some of the even bigger name players did recently in their trades, there's no reason to believe that Ernie Grunfeld would properly rebuild the team to adequately compensate for Beal's departure.

Ultimately the Wizards would have to move away from Wall and replace Ernie Grunfeld with someone competent, for a real rebuild to happen, but Leonsis has shown a silly commitment to Grunfeld, so do the best thing possible given the situation and retain Beal.

I'd rather be stuck in limbo with Beal, a player that shows the potential the be a vocal leader and sees the bigger picture, than be stuck with a low-key headcase in Wall for another three or four years.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#9 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:24 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Bradley Beal took aim at officials from the Washington Wizards, including Ernie Grunfeld, at a recent practice.

“I’ve been dealing with this s— for 7 years — it starts top-down,” said Beal.

John Wall also reportedly verbally cussed out Scott Brooks during a recent practice.

Don't be shocked if they trade Beal, just to prove how **** an organization Ted Leonsis has allowed it to become.

Whatever the case, good for Bradley Beal for putting Leonsis, Grunfeld, and Wall on Front St.

No doubt, Beal will be moved for scraps so Ted and Ernie can appear in control.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#10 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:27 pm

NBA GM’s LOVE a desperate Ernie Grunfeld, prepare to bend over folks.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:The truth is, this has been a toxic situation for quite a while. Your front office let it simmer for too long and now it's boiled over for all to see.

You can dismiss me because I once floated a trade proposal. :dontknow:

But don't say you weren't warned.

Spoiler:
Please don't ban me because we disagree.

I don't know how many times I have to say this. I agree that a shakeup is needed. I was one of the first on this board to seriously push for a Wall trade. Everyone on this board has advocated dumping Grunfeld for the past 9 years (since he traded the #5 pick for frickin Mike Miller and Randy Foye). None of this is a surprise.

The only new bit of information is that Beal has voiced open criticism of management. That doesn't change anything. Obviously, if the situation continues to go the way it has gone, Beal is going to want to leave when he hits free agency. Who wouldn't? Where I differ with you is in the notion that Beal is as good as gone. I don't think that's the case at all. I think Beal is a pro who wants to play in a good basketball situation while also making as much money as possible. If Washington becomes a good basketball situation, and if they offer him big money, he'll stay.

So the only thing that needs to change is for the Wizards to become a good basketball situation. That starts with firing EG and most likely includes trading Wall. That's what I would like to see happen, and it's what I have consistently advocated for months now.

If Ted refuses to fire Grunfeld, then I would be in favor of trading Beal because he obviously wouldn't stay.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#12 » by FAH1223 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:30 pm

The anti Wizards

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:33 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't know how many times I have to say this. I agree that a shakeup is needed.

The only new bit of information is that Beal has voiced open criticism of management. That doesn't change anything.

Maybe it is as simple as finding a new GM.

But if Beal himself is complaining that the situation here has been terrible for the better part of a decade...it sounds like a guy who's been unhappy for years.

My favorite team turned down trade offers for Josh Smith, Al Horford and Paul Millsap and then watched them all walk away in Free Agency for nothing.

We learned a long time ago, it's better to trade a guy too soon...than too late.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:39 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:

I don't like the idea of trading Bradley Beal. He's one of the sounder, more level-headed, big name players that the Wizards have.

Build the team around him and let John Wall go.

...there's no reason to believe that Ernie Grunfeld would properly rebuild the team to adequately compensate for Beal's departure.

I'd rather be stuck in limbo with Beal, a player that shows the potential the be a vocal leader and sees the bigger picture, than be stuck with a low-key headcase in Wall for another three or four years.

This is a fair and reasonable sentiment.

I'd strongly consider parting ways with all three parties.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#15 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Maybe it is as simple as finding a new GM.

But if Beal himself is complaining that the situation here has been terrible for the better part of a decade...it sounds like a guy who's been unhappy for years.

It's tough to say but you don't find those things out until you hire a competent GM. Toronto had a mess of a team and brought in a GM who was considering totally breaking up their core. Masai traded Rudy Gay and was working on trading Kyle Lowry, who was unhappy at the time, and then suddenly the team started winning, backed by the role players he had brought in to support Demar, Valanciunas, Lowry and Dwayne Casey, and everything turned around.

I still think a legitimately good GM wouldn't need to tear the team down. A teardown might be the best course anyway, depending on the options out there but it isn't the only option. The only way anything is going to work is by moving Grunfeld. Everything else is secondary. The Wizards scorched the earth with Grunfeld before, too. Not intentionally so to the degree other teams tank but they were bad because Grunfeld's lack of foresight leads to bad teams. They got Wall, Beal and Porter out of it - not Durant, Westbrook and Harden but still pretty good. It didn't matter - they still couldn't win 50 games, and they haven't made the playoffs more than 2 years in a row since just after Grunfeld was hired, when 4 years of playoffs with no more than 45 wins was followed by 5 years of sub-30 wins. Lots of paths can work. Getting Grunfeld out and a good GM in is far more important than whichever path the Wizards decide to follow.
Bucket! Bucket!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:45 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:

It's tough to say but you don't find those things out until you hire a competent GM. Toronto had a mess of a team and brought in a GM who was considering totally breaking up their core...and everything turned around.

I still think a legitimately good GM wouldn't need to tear the team down. A teardown might be the best course anyway, depending on the options out there but it isn't the only option. Lots of paths can work.

Getting Grunfeld out and a good GM in is far more important than whichever path the Wizards decide to follow.

Now, this is a compelling argument.

I always appreciate your perspective, ILD.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,220

Post#17 » by MikeTheKid » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:30 pm

WHy wasn't this merged in the other thread. We've been soaking this all in the other thread for almost 18 hours
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#18 » by Jstock12 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:43 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:

It's tough to say but you don't find those things out until you hire a competent GM. Toronto had a mess of a team and brought in a GM who was considering totally breaking up their core. Masai traded Rudy Gay and was working on trading Kyle Lowry, who was unhappy at the time, and then suddenly the team started winning, backed by the role players he had brought in to support Demar, Valanciunas, Lowry and Dwayne Casey, and everything turned around.

Masai Ujiri is a terrific GM, but he got a bit lucky when James Dolan vetoed the 'Lowry to Knicks' trade. :D
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#19 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Masai Ujiri is a terrific GM, but he got a bit lucky when James Dolan vetoed the 'Lowry to Knicks' trade. :D

Absolutely! And he got lucky that Kawhi Leonard was available for trade when he was, too. The thing is, GMs get lucky and unlucky all the time. Ernie actually got lucky winning top 3 picks for Wall, Beal and Porter, for example. It's what you make of that luck or lack of luck that matters. Had Dolan not vetoed that trade, the Raptors would probably have had to rebuild the more traditional way and I suspect Ujiri would have succeeded relatively quickly there, too. Sean Marks took over the Nets with about as bad of a situation as a team can possibly be in and he's got them headed in the right direction relatively quickly considering just how big their mess actually was and he's done it without actually having a top draft pick and gotten players like Levert and Allen with later draft picks since he didn't have his own picks which would have been quite high otherwise.

Again, it isn't the actual path that matters so much as making the best of the path you do choose. Good GMs are flexible and will be able to change directions as opportunities present themselves. Everyone thought Danny Ainge should make trade after trade and I'm not so sure he would have been better off unloading picks and prospects for guys like Paul George, Kevin Love, etc. He did that for Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett but has opted for a different path this time since there aren't any Kevin Garnetts available right now.
Bucket! Bucket!
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#20 » by Jstock12 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:11 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:Masai Ujiri is a terrific GM, but he got a bit lucky when James Dolan vetoed the 'Lowry to Knicks' trade. :D

Absolutely! And he got lucky that Kawhi Leonard was available for trade when he was, too. The thing is, GMs get lucky and unlucky all the time. Ernie actually got lucky winning top 3 picks for Wall, Beal and Porter, for example. It's what you make of that luck or lack of luck that matters. Had Dolan not vetoed that trade, the Raptors would probably have had to rebuild the more traditional way and I suspect Ujiri would have succeeded relatively quickly there, too. Sean Marks took over the Nets with about as bad of a situation as a team can possibly be in and he's got them headed in the right direction relatively quickly considering just how big their mess actually was and he's done it without actually having a top draft pick and gotten players like Levert and Allen with later draft picks since he didn't have his own picks which would have been quite high otherwise.

Again, it isn't the actual path that matters so much as making the best of the path you do choose. Good GMs are flexible and will be able to change directions as opportunities present themselves. Everyone thought Danny Ainge should make trade after trade and I'm not so sure he would have been better off unloading picks and prospects for guys like Paul George, Kevin Love, etc. He did that for Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett but has opted for a different path this time since there aren't any Kevin Garnetts available right now.

For sure, he managed to trade Bargnani for a pick that ended up being an asset used in the Kawhi trade (Jakob Poeltl). So he basically turned DeRozan+Bargnani into Kawhi.

Return to Washington Wizards