ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVII 

Post#1621 » by youngWizzy » Fri May 24, 2019 12:22 am

What about a Beal trade with the Clippers? If in some world they pursue and land Kyrie would they look to move SGA?

Ex: SGA, Shamet, Miami 2021 pick, Gallinari for Beal
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1622 » by Illmatic12 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:54 am

youngWizzy wrote:What about a Beal trade with the Clippers? If in some world they pursue and land Kyrie would they look to move SGA?

How good is SGA? He looked legit in the playoffs, but I am not sure he has surefire All-Star potential.

I would not consider making a Beal trade this summer, with the supermax not impending I would completely table the issue for now. The earliest I'd consider moving Beal is the Feb trade deadline. By then we would have had time to see all these young players/draft prospects around the league who are being mentioned in trade talks (RJ Barrett, Darius Garland, Brandon Ingram , SGA, etc) and there would be a large enough sample size to assess their value.

I'm not convinced some of these players you all want to trade Beal for are even that good. There's too much uncertainty right now to do a deal without knowing what we're getting back.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1623 » by TGW » Fri May 24, 2019 3:35 am

youngWizzy wrote:What about a Beal trade with the Clippers? If in some world they pursue and land Kyrie would they look to move SGA?

That is terrible.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1624 » by Dat2U » Fri May 24, 2019 4:27 am

TGW wrote:

That is terrible.

I dunno. Depends on what you think of SGA & Shamet. Both played key roles for an overachieving Clipoer team. Gallinari quietly is a really good player albeit older and injury prone.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1625 » by Dat2U » Fri May 24, 2019 4:33 am

Illmatic12 wrote:

How good is SGA? He looked legit in the playoffs, but I am not sure he has surefire All-Star potential.

I would not consider making a Beal trade this summer, with the supermax not impending I would co
mpletely table the issue for now. The earliest I'd consider moving Beal is the Feb trade deadline. By then we would have had time to see all these young players/draft prospects around the league who are being mentioned in trade talks (RJ Barrett, Darius Garland, Brandon Ingram , SGA, etc) and there would be a large enough sample size to assess their value.

I'm not convinced some of these players you all want to trade Beal for are even that good. There's too much uncertainty right now to do a deal without knowing what we're getting back.

Less time on Beal's deal, the less value we could likely get in return.

Teams are loath to give up their prized rookies, especially once they've had a full offseason together, especially if the rookie is playing well.

You get the Doncic, JJJ or Trae Young BEFORE the draft, not AFTER. They are typically not available afterwards.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1626 » by Illmatic12 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 am

Dat2U wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

I would not consider making a Beal trade this summer, with the supermax not impending I would co
mpletely table the issue for now. The earliest I'd consider moving Beal is the Feb trade deadline. By then we would have had time to see all these young players/draft prospects around the league who are being mentioned in trade talks (RJ Barrett, Darius Garland, Brandon Ingram , SGA, etc) and there would be a large enough sample size to assess their value.

Less time on Beal's deal, the less value we could likely get in return.

Teams are loath to give up their prized rookies, especially once they've had a full offseason together, especially if the rookie is playing well.

You get the Doncic, JJJ or Trae Young BEFORE the draft, not AFTER. They are typically not available afterwards.

I don’t ascribe to that, history has shown it doesn’t reflect reality. To get value in a deal all you need is a desperate team at the right time.

We just saw it happen with the Tobias Harris trade at the deadline -no one would have realistically assigned that kind of value to a 4 month rental of Harris, but Philly was desperate and trying to win an arms race vs the other contenders.

Those players you named are on rebuilding teams who wouldn’t have traded those draft picks anyways. The type of teams who would trade a haul for Beal are looking to cash in assets and compete now (ie Lakers, Clippers, Celtics, Raptors, Knicks if they get KD, Nets if they get an FA, etc etc)
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,676

Post#1627 » by penbeast0 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:15 am

The problem, Young Wizzy, is your Ernie avatar. Combine that with dealing a star or DC for good but not great players who have/need big contracts and any long time Wizard fan runs screaming for the hills at anything you have to say.

(ok, except hands/millie)
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1628 » by payitforward » Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm

Dat2U wrote:
TGW wrote:

That is terrible.

I dunno. Depends on what you think of SGA & Shamet. Both played key roles for an overachieving Clipoer team. Gallinari quietly is a really good player albeit older and injury prone.

Even more it depends on what you think of that '21 Miami pick. If it's a high lottery pick that's one thing; if not....

At least I'd want Harrell in the place of Shamet.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#1629 » by gundysmullet » Sat May 25, 2019 6:21 am

Would you guys do Beal for Kevin Huerter, Bazemore and #8? Huerter played at Maryland so he’s a local kid and had a very good rookie season And getting the eighth pick you would have back to back picks or perhaps package them to move into the top four. What say you? Thank you
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1630 » by Wizardspride » Sat May 25, 2019 11:21 am

gundysmullet wrote:Would you guys do Beal for Kevin Huerter, Bazemore and #8? Huerter played at Maryland so he’s a local kid and had a very good rookie season And getting the eighth pick you would have back to back picks or perhaps package them to move into the top four. What say you? Thank you

Throw in a future lottery protected first rounder and we might have a deal.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1631 » by prime1time » Sun May 26, 2019 12:15 am

gundysmullet wrote:Would you guys do Beal for Kevin Huerter, Bazemore and #8? Huerter played at Maryland so he’s a local kid and had a very good rookie season And getting the eighth pick you would have back to back picks or perhaps package them to move into the top four. What say you? Thank you

No. This draft sucks. And anyone we would get in this deal projects as a role player.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1632 » by Dat2U » Sun May 26, 2019 12:52 am

Wizardspride wrote:

Throw in a future lottery protected first rounder and we might have a deal.

Um they would have to give the Wizards their entire 2019 draft & Huerter for me to consider.

That would give the Wizards the 8, 9,10, 35, 41, 44 picks in the draft plus Huerter, TBJ & Bryant as the core.

Not saying I'd do it but at least I'd be interested at that possible reset.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1633 » by Dat2U » Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 am

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
TGW wrote:That is terrible.

Even more it depends on what you think of that '21 Miami pick. If it's a high lottery pick that's one thing; if not....

At least I'd want Harrell in the place of Shamet.

Harrell needs Lou Will. If we get Harrell, better get Lou Will too. Their chemistry is invaluable plus we need 2.

I don't think they'd do that however. Not with Jerry West advising them.
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#1634 » by gundysmullet » Sun May 26, 2019 1:13 am

prime1time wrote:

No. This draft sucks. And anyone we would get in this deal projects as a role player.

Maybe, but 8&9 combined might get you into the top 4. Plus Huerter is the main piece.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1635 » by payitforward » Sun May 26, 2019 2:27 am

gundysmullet wrote:
prime1time wrote:

Maybe, but 8&9 combined might get you into the top 4. Plus Huerter is the main piece.

I like Huerter; he's a reasonably promising young guy. But, he's not the main piece of anything, & certainly not of a trade to acquire Bradley Beal.

Kevin scored 14 points per 40 minutes last season. At a TS% of .533. Both those numbers are below average. Overall, he was below average on the rest of the stuff as well. Now, he was a rookie; that's to be expected.

Nor would I trade the #s 8 & 9 for the #4 -- who would that get us who's likely to be better than those 2 guys combined? But, that's irrelevant, anyway. The trade you propose isn't even close. Bazemore isn't any good & you know it.

To get good players you have to give good players.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#1636 » by WashWiz54 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:34 pm

Yeah, since Trae is obviously off the table, Collins would have to be the center-piece of any deal with Atlanta and Beal.

Something like Collins, Bazemore, and their pick for Beal?

I saw a handful of Hawks game so I’m no evaluator of Collins but he certainly passes the “on paper” test.
TGW
RealGM

Post#1637 » by TGW » Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 pm

The Hawks aren't giving up Collins. They're arguing whether to give him up for AD on their board, so they value him highly.

If I'm moving Beal, I'd consider a trade to the Celtics. Brown, #14, #20, #22, #51, Memphis 2020 #1 (unprotected in 2021) would be coming back to Washington.

Doumbouya, Herro, Kabengele, Goga, and Semancic would be Wizards at the end of draft night.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1638 » by payitforward » Tue May 28, 2019 1:12 am

Well, it doesn't seem likely that you'd get Samanic @ #51 (if I'm interpreting you correctly).

Definitely a "start over from scratch" idea....
TGW
RealGM

Post#1639 » by TGW » Tue May 28, 2019 1:34 am

payitforward wrote:Well, it doesn't seem likely that you'd get Samanic @ #51 (if I'm interpreting you correctly).

Definitely a "start over from scratch" idea....

Yea, I don't love the idea of trading Beal but Jerry West ain't walking through that door. Right now, with 4 guys under contract (and 1 that won't play next season), the Wizards simply can't field a team that can compete anytime soon. At least with this trade, you're literally getting 6 young players in exchange for Beal. With a good drafting strategy, the odds are you can hit on at least 2 of those 6 (Brown is already a decent young player).

As for Semancic—he's projected to go in the second round. Maybe they trade up to get him—maybe he's still there at their pick. My picks were just an example of what this particular draft could look like after that trade.

Hypothetical roster (after resigning Bryant, J. Green and Sato):

Satoransky/Randle/Wall (injured)
J. Brown/Herro
T. Brown Jr./Doumbouya
Green/Kabangele/Semancic
Bryant/Howard/Bietzde
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1640 » by Ruzious » Tue May 28, 2019 1:49 pm

payitforward wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
prime1time wrote:No. This draft sucks. And anyone we would get in this deal projects as a role player.

I like Huerter; he's a reasonably promising young guy. But, he's not the main piece of anything, & certainly not of a trade to acquire Bradley Beal.

Kevin scored 14 points per 40 minutes last season. At a TS% of .533. Both those numbers are below average. Overall, he was below average on the rest of the stuff as well. Now, he was a rookie; that's to be expected.

Nor would I trade the #s 8 & 9 for the #4 -- who would that get us who's likely to be better than those 2 guys combined? But, that's irrelevant, anyway. The trade you propose isn't even close. Bazemore isn't any good & you know it.

To get good players you have to give good players.

A trade with Atlanta would likely start with the 8th and 10th picks plus Huerter. They also have a bunch of 2nd rounders - 35, 41, and 42 to sweeten the pot. Getting the 8th and 10th picks would give us the luxury of having 3 straight picks in the lotto - a tantalizing scenario. Hawks fans were very impressed with Huerter, and his deep 3 point range is something every team likes. He needs to get stronger and better, but that'll come. We could do worse than getting picks 8, 10, and 35 plus Huerter for Beal - not a great trade but reasonable.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards